Suarez: Hero or Villain?

Deathorglory

Is Suarez a hero or a villain?  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Is Suarez a hero or a villain?

• Hero
    • Villain

Rather than insightfully stating 'BAN SUAREZ FOR LIFE O0L0OLLO0OL0L' I thought I'd be a little more succint in my approach. Is Suarez a hero or a villain? Theres bound to be many conflicting views and you can have your say.

Personally, I think he's a hero. Any of us in the same position for England would have done the same. You cannot compare it to, for example, the hand of god, because Suarez and Uruguay received the appropriate punishment under the laws of the game whereas Maradona did not. Also the timing of the incident makes it feel a lot different.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where's the neither option? These are far too black and white. He did what he had to do and the vast majority of us would do the same in his position so he's not a villian. On the otherhand he cheated so I can't see him as a hero either.

I didn't stick one in because people's opinions on this seem to be very black and white. At the moment it's either put him on stained glass in churches or crucify him.

Hero for the Uruguayans, a cheat for fairness in the game and he just did what most people would have done. In my eyes I thought cheat straight away and after reading the match thread but I suppose he did just break another rule in the game, ridiculous gamesmanship though :D

Scum of the earth.

I am particularly pleased that you managed to miss that my opening post was quite obviously aimed at you, once again proving you are the most unlistened to user on these entire forums.

Breaking news: Suarez could miss the rest of the competition. Fifa could extend the band for unsportmanship behaviour*

*When he turned around, saw the penalty miss and celebrated

On SSN

That's ridiculous. If your in a normal game, the opposition hit the bar and it is cleared, and you celebrate, should you be banned for that? What about when the opposition miss a penalty in a shootout causing you to win, should you be banned for then celebrating the winning of the game?

I voted villain because while it's wrong to handle the ball he was being professional in some respects by giving the keeper a chance to save or for the penalty to be missed.

Cyan should have been professional enough to put it away though

I am particularly pleased that you managed to miss that my opening post was quite obviously aimed at you, once again proving you are the most unlistened to user on these entire forums.

That's ridiculous. If your in a normal game, the opposition hit the bar and it is cleared, and you celebrate, should you be banned for that? What about when the opposition miss a penalty in a shootout causing you to win, should you be banned for then celebrating the winning of the game?

They'll be banning players from celebrating their own team's goals next.

I voted villain because while it's wrong to handle the ball he was being professional in some respects by giving the keeper a chance to save or for the penalty to be missed.

Gyan should have been professional enough to put it away though

Fixed for you

The villain is the Ghanaian who took a one-step run-up for the penalty, you just knew he would miss. Or maybe Gyan for hitting the bar when he could have won the game before the shootout.

suarez_afp620.jpg

I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the end of the night

he's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast

and gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero

I'm holding out for a hero till the morning light

He's gotta be sure and he's gotta be soon

And he's gotta be larger than life

Larger than life

So does every player that calls for a goal kick, corner and throw in when they know it isn't theirs - does that mean all of them are a disgrace?

I didn't say he was a disgrace....and your examples are not really in the same league as to what he blatantly did.....there's white, grey and black areas in gamesmanship..that was an example of black...

hero.

i'd hope any player that played for the team i support would do the same under those circumstances. Didn't John Collins do something similar whilst playing for Scotland? could be wrong, but i vaguely remember him being sent off in a game for something that happened in the 6 yard area.

That image makes it clearer for me than I though. On TV it looked like he might have been able to get his head across, but in that shot it shows there's no way.

Basically, if he doesn't "cheat" - his team goes home. He's a hero to Uruguay, a villain to Ghana, and to everyone else... eh, judgment call. I'd go with antihero - in the literary sense of course!

hero.

i'd hope any player that played for the team i support would do the same under those circumstances. Didn't John Collins do something similar whilst playing for Scotland? could be wrong, but i vaguely remember him being sent off in a game for something that happened in the 6 yard area.

That was against The Netherlands in Euro '96, and he didn't get caught. Exactly the same as Suarez, a certain goal denied, and should have been a red card and penalty, except that the referee didn't notice it.

Just about cost The Netherlands qualification as well, except that Kluivert 'megged Seaman 15 minutes from time (to make it 4-1 to England) so that they qualified ahead of us on goal difference. Would have been an absolute travesty if we'd qualified ahead of them, to be honest, but I'd have partied like it was 1999 regardless. :cool:

Saw this in another forum

Outcome 1: He didnt handball it...

Ok this is what should of happend, he shouldnt of handballed it and Ghana would of scored. There is absolutely NO way it wouldnt of gone in it so a goal was inevitable.

Outcome 2: He handballed it!

...Giving Ghana the penalty, this is the flaw, this creates the chance of a goal NOT being scored which is totally unfair because if he hadnt of handballed then it would of undeniabally gone in.

I say he's a villain, he cheated and stopped a goal going in the last seconds. He cheated Ghana out of the world cup.

Yes but the main punishment is the Red Card and Ghana having the man advantage and they are also given a free shot from 12 yards.

If Gyan had scored the penalty, nothing would have been said. Nothing.

Yes but the main punishment is the Red Card and Ghana having the man advantage and they are also given a free shot from 12 yards.

If Gyan had scored the penalty, nothing would have been said. Nothing.

After penalty the whistle was blown, meaning their man advantage lasted for 4 seconds, also you think Ghana would rather take a penalty than getting that goal because he handballed it. Yes he got the red, and well done for them for winning the shootout but no doubt he cheated Ghana out of that goal.

Archived