OFFICIAL: Match Engine Wishlist

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Whilst the 4th official signals the MINIMUM amount of overtime, this is usually adhered to IRL. It's only occasionally that it goes over the suggested minimum IRL, yet in the game it happens a bit too often in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always thought that the 4th official indicates the amount of injury time that the ref intends to play, so IRL the deviation isn't usually that big.

In the ME, the variation in the amount of injury time from what is indicated appears also to be a factor of how good the ref is, so games with lower ability refs go on much longer. Longest I've seen in my current game was about 5 minutes at half time plus 7 minutes at full time in a cup game between two U19 sides in the German U-19 cup (I was looking at a player). I would assume they don't use 1st division refs for those games...

i made a thread a long while back about i wanted to see things like the goalkeeper handling outside the area, goalkeepers pulling down players in the box, mass brawls, and also a small aesthetic point - i think its weird the dugout being at the top because you are actually viewing the pitch from the other side and a manager normally sits in the dugout - so having the dugout on the bottom of the screen please!

I'm not sure if this an ME problem at all, but the lack of cup upsets is slightly dissapointing. It's a fine line, really, because you don't want to see an FA Cup final between Crystal Palace and Wolves really, but also, at least in the earlier rounds, it would be nice to see more cup upsets.

Currently, in FM08, the competition has a reputation placed against it. But I'd like to see the reputation increase by stage. So the more serious the competition gets, the more serious the clubs take it.

Anyway, I'd like to see a few more cup upsets. Not too many, but a few more. Maybe other people have got other experiences of cup upsets, but they rarely happen for me - the closest I see is a surprising draw (e.g. Leeds could only draw 1-1 with Tamworth). Maybe this has nothing to do with the ME at all though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Currently, in FM08, the competition has a reputation placed against it. But I'd like to see the reputation increase by stage. So the more serious the competition gets, the more serious the clubs take it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not ME related but it is a KEY improvement for FM09.

All competitions should have changeable reputations. At the moment you can start off with a little team in N.Ireland but even if you go on to win the Champions Leage 30 years later, the reputation, (and therefore the prize money and sponsorship in the league) will remain the same. I would like to see it linked to something like the coefficients.

There are some brilliant and useful ideas here.

I'd like to see bookings or cautions for unfair distraction, e.g. when someone is taking a throw-in, calling "Over here", (despite not being on their team), and distracting the opposition keeper. As far as I have seen, this doesn't happen. At least it would give an excuse for all those offsides where the player offside isn't actually intefering with play.

I would also like to see foul throws, possibly related to the Long Throws stat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kriss:

If FM ever has cheer leaders they'll certainly be modelled on Marc Duffy and Graeme Kelly icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I really need some Irn-Bru to avoid getting sickicon_frown.gif

In a nutshell FM needs something to help analyses matches better because watching the match engine and trying to link it back to tactical settings is a difficult task.

None of us a privvy to the coding that goes behind the match engine but at most times it feels like that's what us players need to know to even get a basic understanding.

The match engine and tactics need less ambiguity and needs something to help link the two together.

Sorry posted the above message before I was finished typing.

What I was trying to get at is FM needs something like ProZone which CM08 uses. I know there have been arguments in the past about if it is necessary or not, or even if it's useful, but after using it for myself it just made that part of the game more enjoyable.

I don't want to have to buy a library of coaching books off Amazon to understand tactics but at times it feels like that is what SI are forcing us to do. Somewhere along the line they've forgotten that we are gamers first and foremost, not real life managers.

Better tools to help us analyse our tactics and matches better will help many of us who don't derive any enjoyment out of tactics and the match engine, simply because it's made too inaccessable in it's current state. This is currently the major deficiency of the whole match engine I feel.

Hmm, Diving is actually in the game.

I had a player get caught diving after a tackle from a defender inside the box and got a yellow ticket.

The one thing I would like to see is more intelligence in strikers.

What I mean is, alot of the time my strikers will be making a run and a defender will come attack, and it seems my players will always move the same way the defender is going making an awkward shot and a wide open space in the box in which my player should have dummied the defender and moved into that space, but instead always puts himself into an awkward shooting position or goes out of the box for a cross.

Another thing would be Referee controversies. Like you end up in a game where the Referee picks favourites, and you can take the issue to the FA and they fine/suspend the referee. Could be fun, but may occur too often.

Player/Manager grudges would be neat. If 2 players on the field playing eachother don't like eachother, maybe have them be pains in the neck to eachother, and you could talk to them giving them instructions to ignore the player or intentionally attempt to injure them but with high risk of red cards and fines.

Umm World Eleven games. Where the best Players of UK or Europe play the best from other parts of the world. In like a friendly.

Anyone remember an old DOS classic called Ultimate Soccer Manager? That had a good stadium manager aspect to it, like choosing hoarding sponsers, adding food stands/restaraunts/merchandise shops, upgrading particular stands rather than the entire stadium (as well as chooing the quality of seats). Not over the top, and loads of fun.

Also, a game called Italian Soccer Manager from about 12 years ago. That allowed you to upgrade grass quality, floodlights, scoreboard, set maintenace and youth budget etc. They even barred you from being promoted if the pitch wasn't up to scratch, and the quality would degrade over time.

Also, for those of you who play the best online football sim - http://www.onlinefootballmanager.co.uk - It has a good system for paid subscribers, who can upgrade various portions of the stadium and facilities.

These options make these games more fun for me. Otherwise, I'm happy with match engine.

i dont know if this is asked before; but why not collect the top 5 (of 10...) biggest match engine problems, put them in a poll and ask: which of the next problems bugs you THE MOST.

If you have a lot of anwswers, SI will see what we, players, hate the most.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

The one thing I would like to see is more intelligence in strikers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, sometimes I see one striker running, and I mean absolutely haring, towards goal, but to the right or left of the goal from, say, about 30-40 yards out. The other striker (who's more centrally placed) never breaks a neck to get into the area in the middle, which is odd, because he'd be in a great position for a potential tap-in.

Milamber, I'm afraid your ideas have nothing to do with the ME, and as has been said many times on these forums, those have nothing to do with managing a club - it's the chairmen, not the managers - who make those decisions.

Dirkjan - good idea, but hopefully this thread will serve as a collection of both problems people have with the ME, and suggestions for improvements in the future. icon14.gif

Just another couple of things to do with the ball movement - whilst you can see the ball curl in the air from free kicks and corners, you rarely see that happening with shots (e.g. from the likes of Thierry Henry - or SWP's goal against Everton the other night) or cross-field passes.

Also, although this was fixed in the 8.0.1 patch I believe, the ball still seems to be a little too high when it nestles in the back of the net for a goal. Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's fine, but that's how it appears on occasion. icon14.gif

Good thread this.

Here is what I would like to happen with the ME -

1. Please cut down the number of shots hit straight at the goalie by at least 50%. Increase goalie's ability to make better saves slightly so one can go "ooooo nearly" a lot more often than at present.

2. Slightly more attempts at rounding the keeper in one-on-one's please.

3. Players taking less long shots (even by 25% would be a great improvement). Players who have Shoots Long as a PPM - Player Preferred Move, especially need looking at. Because they hardly respond to tactical instructions to shoot rarely or mixed. And also players whom you play in the AMC position, who you might wish to try putting in more through balls instead, will be the most likely to ignore you and shoot long way too many times.

4. Increase the accuracy of long shots just a tad. 5-10%.

5. Allow central defenders to immediately close down a runaway winger breaking through on goal instead of staying fixed in their (central defensive) position. Same for fullbacks who stay back (in the centre) for corners and then will not close down a runaway winger until the central defenders make it back by which time the opposing winger has had a one-on-one he should never had.

6. Stop defenders simply grinding to a halt when running alongside an opposing striker. If what's going on is a missed tackle, then please show this by having the circle belonging to the defender slide past the attacker, either infront or behind. If what's going on is that the attacker has whacked the defender with an elbow, then please have the running commentary mention this "was that an elbow?". icon_smile.gif

7. Fix the Near Post Flick On position for corners (if an attacker heads the ball he heads it straight out, the way it is now). Please ensure that at least some accurate flick-ons or headers to goal are made. There are none whatsoever at the moment.

8. This is a biggie for me - your choice of passing (Short, Mixed, or Direct) is not reflected in the ME. And I have my entire team on the same passing style. Playing on Short, my players will lob too many balls over the opposition's back line, and playing on Direct there's too much short passing going on. Please make this more reflective of the manager's instructions.

9. Weather forecasts. Says rain, so I might choose a more Direct style of passing, and then in the first key ME moment which is displayed, the pitch has not a single drop of rain on it. Press tactics... change... play... tiresome. Yes I know weather forecasts aren't always accurate but if I'm supposed to be the manager on the actual blooming pitch I should be able to know if it's wet or not before kick-off, instead of 10 minutes into the game.

10. Another request to do with corners - please make the player whom you set on "Outside Area" be JUST OUTSIDE the area (on the edge)? Instead of 10-20 yards outside it? So that the corner-taker has the option of passing the ball to him for him to take a shot from the edge of the area, if he happens to be free? The way it is now, you might as well have him on "Stay back" or "Back if needed". At least, make sure he runs towards the edge of the area when the corner is taken, and the corner-takers sometimes choose the option of passing the ball to where he's making the run.

Taking care of these 10 things, will mean that gamers get a much more thrilling experience out of playing FM 2008. The priorities are bolded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Gaffovski:

6. Stop defenders simply grinding to a halt when running alongside an opposing striker. If what's going on is a missed tackle, then please show this by having the circle belonging to the defender slide past the attacker, either infront or behind. If what's going on is that the attacker has whacked the defender with an elbow, then please have the running commentary mention this "was that an elbow?". icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one is crucial and needs toning down dramatically. I think it is currently what's bugging me most about the ME.

the main thing i would like to s added to the match engine is the ability for managers to shout orders at there players who arent performing or following yor orders or to make some tactical changes. and at refs when they make poor decisions. id prefer this to be done with the use of a head set and a list of shoutble commands the computer will recognise, this way my shouting at the screen will have an actual purpose other than merly realeasing my frustration. but a control panel n he screen would do i suppose,lol.

Time issues (because game time is precious to me):

1. Stop making me watch the player walk toward the referee for his booking, ticking off or lecture. Just tell me it happened.

2. When the ball goes astray prior to a corner, free kick or penalty, have it re-set to the proper location immediately.

3. When matches go to PKs, don't make me watch one keeper walk out of goal and the other walk in while the next shooter walks to the spot. Somehow, the drama is lost in a computer game.

4. When a team is timewasting, please don't show me in 2-D. Scan ahead, as the game often does in other instances, and tell me what they did.

For actual gameplay:

1. I second those who ask for a little less playing catch with keeper, particularly when the keeper is well out of position and the attacker shoots it right at him anyway.

2. Players IRL check to the ball, but I never see it in FM. On the contrary, I often see players running away from a pass to them (presumably to make space), thereby allowing a defender to cut out the pass.

3. Greater differentiation in style and quality of play from lower leagues to premier leagues. Actually, FM08 seems to have made some nice improvements, here, but I'd like to see it continue.

4. Technically, this is more tactical than ME, but if adopted, the ME would need to be adjusted. Quite often, the instruction I want to be able to give my players is either to play goalside or play ballside. Unfortunately, I can only tell them to tightly mark or close down, which is not the same thing. When I coached IRL, I usually gave instructions of this sort.

There's a couple of changes I'd like to see

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Players with the ball should not stand on the centre circle and spin around on the spot until they're tackled and lose possession - happens all the time at all levels on mine (and I'm playing quick counter with no HUB)

<LI>You shuold be able to 'shout' some basic instructions to your team in match without having to go into the overcomplicated tactics team then wait for a break in play (I've had to wait 15 mins for a sub before) before implemented them -should be click a polayer and drag to tell them to move forward/back/in/out.

<LI>Man marking shouldn't be quote so literal - if I have my DM set to man mark their AMC, he'll disappear out wide and follow him even in his own half - he should only pick him up when we're defending and in our own half

<LI>I'd actually like to see some player aggression - maybe your less professional/more temperamental players really kicking off and working themselves up, rather than relying on 'faith in ability' at half time for your 27 year old star player to do more than shuffle his feet

<LI>Throw ins - wtf? sort it out.

<LI>Current tactical analysis from Asst Manager

<LI>Better overlapping FB/ backtracking wingers

<LI>More types of finish

<LI>Player to player interaction a lot more

<LI>Bookings for over celebrating

<LI>Defenders following through balls out of play, mine start towards, give up, then the opposition striker whistles through and keeps it in

<LI>Better set piece control (maybe a module for training to learn specific moves)

As another point, I think the training needs a serious overhaul. If you want a quick striker you'd think you need finishing, aerobic, ball control for first touch and tactics for movement. Nuh-huh. Try DEFENDING for COMPOSURE, which is really important.! You should be able to focus on individual stats for all players, and then your fitness/coaching team would work with the player to achieve those results. Manager - tactics. everything else - coaches. And you should be able to schedule morning and afternoon sessions, and post match warm downs on sundays or whenever.

Also player direct interaction, meetings with your captain to assess squad mood, and for gods sake sort out your youth team completely. Until then it's just a case of matching tactics to situation (for example beat real madrid with fuerteventura 3-1 by setting my counter up just right. Shockingly unrealistic!) and not a true football simulation.

- players are constantly waiting the ball, ball too slow?

- too good GK handling. never seen GK tiping the ball to corner (high shots) after saving.

- heel pass!!!

- quicker throw ins

quicker free kicks -> never seen a qiuck one!!

- plyers turning more quick (cyrcling?)

• 2 months later...

I can confirm that keepers being sent off for handball and players being booked for diving definitely happens in the game, having experienced both instances in the space of 3 games. I had no idea that keepers were ever sent off until I won a penalty where the opposition keeper brought down my striker and was dismissed. However, I was far more disappointed to find that in a later game my keeper came charging off his line and was sent off for handball just outside the area.

As for diving, I had Mark Viduka booked for diving in the first half of a game. 5 minutes after half time in the same game Viduka picked up a second booking, also for diving. I don't think players should be able to pick up 2 bookings for the offence in 1 match, surely any player would have the sense not to try to con a referee twice in one game.

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something I meant to add on the last one.

I haven't noticed the FA fining players or clubs for disciplinary matters outside of managerial behaviour. IRL players are fined by the league for poor discipline, and clubs also accumulate fines for the behaviour of their players. For example, 5 yellow cards in a single match earns the club a fine, as does finishing bottom of the fair play league and various other matters.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hufton:

As for diving, I had Mark Viduka booked for diving in the first half of a game. 5 minutes after half time in the same game Viduka picked up a second booking, also for diving. I don't think players should be able to pick up 2 bookings for the offence in 1 match, surely any player would have the sense not to try to con a referee twice in one game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Limiting the amount of bookings a player can receive for diving would be unrealistic, and the match engine should aim at realism always.

It should, of course, be rare but never artificially limited.

Archived