dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And finally after a few hours of trying, no idea how many restarts, I have been appointed manager of Hendon.

Would love to take this team to any kind of glory, since they are one of my most local ones on here.

Board has a 4 year plan to win the Conference South, whereas I have a 4 year plan to avoid relegation.

I have a 43 year old player/assistant manager who is Bulgarian. Rest of the squad are 7, 16 year olds.

Looks like I need an assortment of players and staff.

Apparently I am a parent to Wembley and also Wingate and Finchley, but have no parent club myself.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

erm, what the hell, this is ridiculous.

Board Expectations:

Win the Blue Square South

FA Cup Fourth Round

Win the Setanta Shield

Win the FA Trophy

Can see me getting sacked before long.

Something is wrong there. icon_confused.gif

You got a screenie? Might be worth posting in the bugs forum. Expectations shouldn't be anything like that.

Chippenham. Conference South August 2008 update.

(A) Chippers 3 Crawley 4.

Santos, Bailey, Hatchy.

(A) Chippers 0 Dorchester 4.

(H) Chippers 3 Weling 0.

Frankie (2), Bailey.

(H) Chippers 4 Braintree 0.

Cole, Bailey, Hatchy (2).

(A) Chippers 1 Stortford 2.

Santos.

(H) Chippers 0 Hitchin 1.

So things didn't start off too well. My inability to sign a decent GK came back to haunt me as we conceded a goal every time the opposition had a shot on target in both our first 2 games. The Crawley game was a close run thing, (although we had an extra man for much of it, and we were simply destroyed at Dorchester.

We bounced back with 7 goals against our next 2 opposition before losing 2 tight games at the end of the month.

Hatchy has won Conference South Player of the Month for August despite only starting 3 of our 6 games. I've obviously got the selection wrong a frew times already, but in my defence, if I play him and Bailey together it's 2 Target Men together which doesn't quite seem right.

I forgot to mention what my/board pre-season expectations were.

After doing much better with my 2nd go at the demo, I was hopeful of maybe a playoff spot but at least a top half finish. As this is a marathon and not a sprint however, I agreed with the board that our priority should be avoiding relegation. Because of this the handed me only a £2114pw wage budget. I'm obviously well over that at £3709, HOW MUCH icon_eek.gif I didn't realise it was that mich over. But anyway, I suppose they will have to balance up my overspend with the achieved league position.

When I told the Barrow board I was going to challenge for the laegue title I think they gave me about £5000pw.

I still haven't got all the players on full-time contracts. I'm getting there but some are proving harder to sign than others. I signed Bailey, Bond, Butler & Brown, (all the B's), after they played for me in the demo at Barrow, and I have signed a total of 7 players that I personally seen play before.

I've got a striker who used to have a "pineapple on his head", and another with 212 league goals to his name. None of these are getting much of a look in though as my 2 big men have 3 goals apiece.

My Brazilian centre-half Santos already has 2 goals to his name, but I've got an uneasy feeling about him. If I can get someone else in and get rid ten I will, despite his obvious talents.

Current league position 14th icon14.gif.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

erm, what the hell, this is ridiculous.

Board Expectations:

Win the Blue Square South

FA Cup Fourth Round

Win the Setanta Shield

Win the FA Trophy

Can see me getting sacked before long.

What did you set your expectations as at the beginning of the season?

Update

8th October 2008

After a poor start results have picked up recently. Currnetly sitting 8th in Blue square south which will do me. This is mostly down to 2 key signings, Nabil el Zhar and James Sinclair both on loan from paretn club Colchester.

Very tired so ill sleep now and update tommorow.

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

Update

8th October 2008

After a poor start results have picked up recently. Currnetly sitting 8th in Blue square south which will do me. This is mostly down to 2 key signings, Nabil el Zhar and James Sinclair both on loan from paretn club Colchester.

Very tired so ill sleep now and update tommorow.

It's very strange that you got el Zahir. He's playing every week in League 2 in my game icon_confused.gif.

Chippenham. Conference South September 2008 update.

(A) Chippers 1 Bromley 1.

Hatchy.

(H) Chippers 3 AFC Wimbledon 1.

Frankie (3) hat-trick.

(A) Chippers 3 Margate 1.

Bailey, Hatchy (2).

(H) Chippers 2 Bognor 0.

Bailey, Graz.

(A) Chippers 3 Maidenhead 3.

Stef, Bailey, Malcolm.

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round.

(A) Chippers 1 Whyteleafe 1.

Bailey.

Winger Frankie got the Conference South Player of the Months award, (courtesy largely of his hat-trick against Wombles and Bailey came 3rd thanks largely to his consistant gial-scoring. We were defeated for the whole month and some would say that I deserved more than 3rd place in the Manager of the Month award.

Current league position 6th icon14.gif.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We were un-defeated for the whole month

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats on the turnaround jimbo!

I hope you waited until after a loss to post though! It wouldn't do to invoke the curse!

If frankie is who i think he is, how do you guys manage to keep signing him. He never touches my teams with a 100 foot pole and is always WAY out of my budget range after the first transfer window until L1 or so.

Keep the updates coming....still a week or so to go for all of us yanks icon_frown.gif

After coming fairly close during the 06 challenge with Bath City (5th in the Premiership) and not having the time to have a go at the 07 challenge (new baby), I am raring to go with this one. Currently holidaying and hoping Ilkeston get promoted. Went to see them play once and it was amazing (well sort of). Has anyone had Ilkeston promoted yet?

Cheers dafuge, this must be the ultimate FM challenge.

FC

I think this is a first for the thread.

I had thought about this and how it would affect my tactics on the day. I had decided that I would play a far more attacking style and really "go for it" in the hope that win lose or draw, we would at least entertain.

With my 1st choice target man, 1st choice right winger, 1st choice left winger, 1st choice left back and 1st choice centre--half all missing theough either injury or suspension, I may have to reconsider icon_frown.gif.

Right then i've installed the game.

I've holidayed for a year it's June 19th and i get to choose from.....

Wakes up and realises postman still hasn't arrived and kicks wife in annoyance and then gets a swift slap round the face icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi my name's Cookie15 and i'm an FM addict icon_rolleyes.gif

Postie better be here soon or else....i'm gonna have to get myself to a shop ASAP icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Congrats to all those who've started already, good luck one and all icon14.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

Wakes up and realises postman still hasn't arrived and kicks wife in annoyance and then gets a swift slap round the face icon_rolleyes.gif

Postie better be here soon or else....i'm gonna have to get myself to a shop ASAP icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

My games gonna arrive while im at work today, then I head off to Newcastle for a weekend with no FM, then back sunday night an work on Monday, ARGH! icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

My games gonna arrive while im at work today, then I head off to Newcastle for a weekend with no FM, then back sunday night an work on Monday, ARGH! icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta say Allan the website is tops! Sorry i couldn't do more testing for you yesterday, i was a bit busy!!

i'll make an official entry tonight, but i set myself up as manager of bedford town before work this morning icon_smile.gif

anyway, i have a question, as i'm new to this. i only seem to have 5 real players. obviously i'll be looking to populate my team as soon as possible, but i'm wondering if its frowned upon/against the rules to play with greys??

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I think this is a first for the thread.

I had thought about this and how it would affect my tactics on the day. I had decided that I would play a far more attacking style and really "go for it" in the hope that win lose or draw, we would at least entertain.

With my 1st choice target man, 1st choice right winger, 1st choice left winger, 1st choice left back and 1st choice centre--half all missing theough either injury or suspension, I may have to reconsider icon_frown.gif.

Hmmm ok I have a question to ask...Did Hayes and Yeading get merged? Can someone please tell me cause Yeading was a great low team in the Conference South/North and their neighbours Hayes were arse...So I have to know if my Yeading are still there, though I won't be playing as them for this challenge obviously...

migwar. It's not frowned upon at all. The only problem is that greys in general are created with a low PA, so what you see might be as good as they are going to get.

I've certainly used them in the past and I thought I was going to have to again this year for a while.

A little word of advice though, only use greys who have decent physical abilities and keep it simple.

Ideally you won't have any greys but it's not always that simple.

Good luck.

Is it just me or is that a SERIOUS anti-climax icon_confused.gif?

I was expecting details of an increase in turnover/income due to xxx increase in attendance over the next xx weeks. What we got was very non-specific. It doesn't have to be exact, but they could at least project it?

Then again, how would that work in real life icon_confused.gif? It wouldn't, so maybe SI have it right and I was just expecting too much icon_rolleyes.gif.

Jimbo: I got the same message after a Fan Day on my first game with Cefn Druids. Thing was, we had just been walloped 7-0 icon_eek.gif

Sure, seven goals is a lot of entertainment, but would a thrashing like that really benefit the attendances in the long-term?

Seems like you're going well with Chippers though icon14.gif

well downloaded the kit packs for the lower league clubs so can have actuall kits for my team but cant for the life of me work out where i am supposed to put it. if someone could give me a simple step by step instruction that would be great. have DL'd and extracted it, is just where abouts i need to put it that i am struggling with.

cheers

Chippenham. Conference South October 2008 update.

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round replay.

(H) Chippers 1 Whyteleafe 0.

Micky.

(H) Chippers 1 Bath 0.

Malcolm.

(H) Chippers 3 AFC Wimbledon 1.

Butler, Hatchy, Slo.

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round.

(A) Chippers 1 Carshalton 2.

Harchy.

(H) Chippers 0 Thurrock 0.

(A) Chippers 4 Havant & W 1.

Tommo, Stef, Micky, Malcolm.

(H) Chippers 3 Hayes & Yeading 0.

Tommo, Micky & Malcolm.

I think it was Alan Hansen who said, "you've got to be great to rotate". Unfortunately, we're NOT great and by fielding a Reserve team against Carshalton, I threw away our unbeaten record which would now be at 13 games were it not for that abomination.

Still, at least we went unbeaten in the league for a 2nd successive month, which now sees us in the playoff position of 4th. Dorchester and Crawley seem to be running away with it though as they have only lost 1 game between them all season, and not drawn too many either.

All teams played 15 games.

1. Dorchester..Pts39

2. Crawley.....Pts36

3. Bath........Pts28

4. Chippenham..Pts27

5. AFC Wombles.Pts27

6. Margate.....Pts26

7. St Albans...Pts25

On the plus side, we're looking pretty good at the moment despite suffering a bit of an injury crisis.

I think the reason that we are coping is that the goals seem to be shared pretty well throughout the squad.

Goals.

Hatchy. Target Man 8.

Bailey. Target Man 8.

Frankie. Winger 5.

Malcolm. Striker 4.

Micky. Striker 3.

Santos. Centre-half 2.

Tommo. Winger 2.

Stef. Midfielder 2.

Slo. Utility left sided player 2.

Cole. Midfielder 1.

Butler. Utility defender 1.

Graz. Striker 1.

It's not all good news though, as rumours persist about the ownership of the club. There hasn't been any speculation as to my future, so I'm hopeful that if and when the takeover goes ahead, it won't affect me.

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Looks like it would be best if you were allowed to retain English players, as its not ideal or realistic having to sign a whole team.

Are teams still coming up with empty squads?

I thought this was sorted during FM07? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whole squad empty with Worksop - maybe should have included all players from England? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my worksop team also has only grey players... i see it as a blank canvas with which i can work my magic.....

Archived