dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by happy slappy:

Good Luck in the Final dafuge.

How on earth did you do so well in your first season in League 2?

27 games gone and my Bedford side are 18th.

I changed my tactics which brought an amazing run of form. Unfortunately I seemed to have won promotion based on my current form, I think I'll have a tough time next season.

Half season update:

Doing pretty bad..

I went out in the 3rd round in the league cup, and my board are not happy.

Other than that i have been trailing behind liverpool all season. we are now splitting the 1st place in the league.

Liverpool had only lost 1 game the whole season, and that was when i trashed them 3-0.

then i bought there star player(not that i needed himicon_smile.gif ) for 40mio. and they lost another match.

so hopefully it will make them loose more matches.

in the other competitions im meating goteborg in the first leg chl playoff.

i was knocked out in the semis of the world champs. to grey cruz azul.

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

League 2 playoff final

well done m8.

seems like youre "luck" in the playoffs have changed icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely, I think it is pretty close to real life in the way that the form team tends to win the playoffs. Last time I was missing out on the title then losing in the playoffs, this time I am sneaking into the playoffs at the last minute and storming them.

Tonbridge Angels - Mag Man - Blue Square South - 10/11 (End 2nd Season)

I havent played footy manager for ages because i had so much coursework to do at the end of last term, so took me some time to settle back in with my team. Was my first in season in the blue square premier and i was pretty much mid-table throughout the year. Had no problems scoring goals but conceeded far to many. Some serious squad building needs to be done for some future sucess.

12th in League

Just started my career. After about 5-6 reloads, got Mangotsfield as the first <1000 rep team. Put my manager in charge here.

By the way, Liverpool won the FA Cup, Chelsea the Premiership (and UEFA Cup), Villa the League Cup, and Real Madrid the Champions League.

I have just finished a little personal challenge (involving a fictional club in the field near my house) and am looking forward to this. Fingers crossed!

Chelmsford 2016/17

I don't know what it is about this game that is keeping me hooked but I just don't know where I can go from here.

Still no sign in my board increasing my ground. Have to sell player after player to keep afloat.

Only consolation is that I wont be relegated from the CCC this year. Currently in 14th with a dozen games to go.

What is more frustrating is that I keep getting job offers with some really spending power

Tiverton Town - Season 2012/13 - League 2

A mixed season really. We achieved promotion after finishing 3rd in the league and were in the top 3 for the majority of the season. The negative effect came at then end when squad bonuses were paid out which completely wiped out my limited finances. We are now in the red and filling out our 3500 capacity ground every week. This could spell trouble over the next season

Table

Finances

On the playing front Andy Caton was again the star and scored his 5th straight Fans Player of The Year Award. I am confident he can do it again in League 1 and most of the squad should be able to make the step up, well i hope so at least because i have no money to bring anyone in.

Overview

Squad

Originally posted by stinger061:

Tiverton Town - Season 2012/13 - League 2

A mixed season really. We achieved promotion after finishing 3rd in the league and were in the top 3 for the majority of the season. The negative effect came at then end when squad bonuses were paid out which completely wiped out my limited finances. We are now in the red and filling out our 3500 capacity ground every week. This could spell trouble over the next season

Table

Finances

On the playing front Andy Caton was again the star and scored his 5th straight Fans Player of The Year Award. I am confident he can do it again in League 1 and most of the squad should be able to make the step up, well i hope so at least because i have no money to bring anyone in.

Overview

Squad

Well done - your screenies are too small to view. How many goals has CAton scored for you now?

Caton was my star man too - he still plays in the Championship but only fleetingly. I think, without having FM open at the moment, he has scored 225 in 400 games for me - a truly commendable career

Season 1 ended very well...a great finish left me with little doubt that I could meet the boards expectations of a solid placing by the end of the third season.

Alas...it was not to be. Another terrible preseason campaign (0-4, including terrible thrashings of 2-7 v Norwich and 1-9 vs Grimbsby) left morale in tatters before the season even started. And that morale dip hurt---to the tune of getting my first points of the season in mid September. Yup....an 0-8 start was one which I nearly didn't recover from.

The tone was set---this season was to be a battle. And a battle it remained---as we remained in the relegation zone until week 41...

troubledseasonnq7.th.jpg

A run of games at the end (ended the season on a 10-game non-losing streak----6W4D)

tmp7257mn4.th.jpg

pulled me up in week 41---and a hattrick by my midfielder in week 42 clinched a spot out of the drop zone (week 41 saw me on 42 points---with three teams below me on 41 points, one of which was going to drop).

Final table looked like tmp4174fa7.th.jpg

Confidence was, except for the league position, not bad overall:

tmp6455pe5.th.jpg

tmp1646es8.th.jpg

Loans made a small part of my success---again from parent club Norwich----however, a couple free transfers played a great part as well (GK Smelt has been outstanding):

tmp4330ol1.th.jpg

Best XI: tmp7763dx9.th.jpg

Well---a very rocky road, but I survived. Here's to improving for season 3: My goals as stated to the board: Mid-table finish. With luck...I'll make it with a little less drama this year....I don't think the board will put up with a poor start.

Season End - Boreham Wood - PL 26/27

League Table

Graph

Really tough this year, liverpool was a big suprise, and i think they could have won it if i hadnt bought Vetter from them.

After they sold him to me they started loosing matches, and i won the league with only 1 game to spare..

Other than that i didnt win the CHL for the first time in 4 years.

I went out to AC milan in the Quarter finals!

And in the league cup i lost in my first game, which made my board really unhappy! guess i shouldnt be using my youngsters next year... icon_smile.gif

Bonde on top of the world finally icon_smile.gif

The FA cup went good, and i used 3 youngsters in every game, all from my youth departmant.. im exited with these three players..

Edwards

Cole

Gibson

All rated to become leading PL figures in the future..

FA Cup Final

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Why the f do you do that...

Bank Balance : 376mio. euros

My chairman did that to me the other day with one of my young strikers, to the team that have finished 2nd behind me the last 2 seasons.

Despite being the 2nd richest club in the world i guess we needed the money icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it makes no sense at all.. i remember this beeing an issue in the FM07 also..

Yes we need the money.. ehhm...

Originally posted by matty_8:

To all experienced Dafuge challengers

What season do the good regens start to appear? And in what leagues? Im in 2011 and haven't found one good regen yet

Some of the best regens I've signed were in my first season, I don't think the year makes that much of a difference.

Originally posted by canvey!!:

Is befriending other managers to get their scouting knowledge allowed under the rules?

It's not against the rules, but like most things I would expect people to use their own judgement and do what they think is reasonable.

Personally I only make comments about other managers when I have been directly involved with them, for example after a match or a transfer.

CatfishJack - Chelmsford City - 11/12 BS Premier - Season Review

After a decent end to the previous season, hopes were high - the board wanted a respectable finish (predictions placed us 10th), finally putting some decent backing behind the team - a 200k transfer budget.

The close-season was much more settled than previously, with only 1 addition in each area along the spine of the team, including the return of some previous loanees on permanent deals, and a couple of very good loan signings - transfers . This helped the team settle in straight away, and away wins in the first two fixtures took us to 19 games unbeaten (carried 17 from last season), before Woking lucked into a win at Melbourne Park. Through autumn we suffered with injuries and form was inconsistent, but we hung onto a play-off place until the turn of the year, helped by big wins against top 3 teams (5-0 vs Grays, 5-1 vs Morecambe).

An away tie to top of league 1 Ipswich in the FA Cup pushed our bank balance over £1m, though that was as far as we got in that cup and fared no better in the others (SS 5R, FAT 2R). However the FA Trophy loss was the turning point of the season, and we won games in Jan and Feb when other top sides didn't, maintained pressure in March, and after beating contenders Aldershot 6-0, we were only 3 points from the lead with 2 games left. We won 1-0, Exeter lost by the same margin, and we went top for the first time. Although Exeter overcame a deficit to win 2-1 over Torquay, City also won to take the title and promotion on goal difference.

After exiting the FAT our record was W15 D2 L1 F41 A14, with the last 9 games giving up 25 points of a possible 27 - the typical strong late run, building on a decent start to the year.

Progress

Table

The club turned pro in the post-season, but next year will still be a huge struggle _ I don't foresee too many changes to the squad , although finances in the hope that the understanding will keep us alive in the early months.

Reserves were 17th of 19, U18s were 8th of 13th, both huge improvements.

Final Position - 1st in BS Premier (promoted)

Manager Awards - BSP Manager of the Year

(Manager of month for Feb, 2nd in Dec, 3rd in Mar)

Player Awards

Several inidividual awards throughout the season, resulting in 4 players in the end of season XI

Chippenham Town - Season 1, 08/09 - Full season report

Promotion

It went down to the final game of the season, and was ultimately decided by goal difference but I won promotion to the BSP as champions.

We didn't do as well in the cups, with early exits in the FA cup and FA trophy, and a 5th round exit in the Setanta shield.

The outstanding player of the season was Mark Preston whose phenomenal scoring record played a big part in our promotion.

Final table

Graph

Transfers

Player stats

Team stats

Mangotsfield United - 2008/09 - Blue Square South

Pre-Season Report

After finishing what I would deem to be a very dissappointing Pre-Season, my team have shown that they can perform half-decently against equal teams but can't win to save their lives against teams higher or lower.

Mangotsfield 1 - 4 AFC Wimbledon

We took the lead through a 30-yard belter, but then conceded 4 in the second half.

Mangotsfield 1 - 3 Gloucester

Playing rivals and non-league Gloucester, I thought we might have a chance of winning. We went 2-0 down and scored but a 90th minute goal from them ruined any chance of a comeback.

Mangotsfield 3 - 1 Chelmsford

I got rid of the keeper who had been on trial at the club and had played the last two games, and replaced him with Will Puddy, a loanee from parent club Cheltenham. Immediately, we saw a difference, only conceding 1 goal. Tyron Sealy scored one for me, and so did Ryan Hirooka, who looks very promising.

Mangotsfield 0 - 6 Cheltenham

We played our League 2 parent club, Cheltenham, and its obvious it didn't go well. I couldn't feild my loanee, so I had another keeper, and that's probably why it was as bad as it was.

Mangotsfield 2 - 4 Gateshead

I expected a win, and conceding 2 penalties wasn't going to get it. Tyron Sealy scored two goals for us, but it wasn't enough.

Mangotsfield 5 - 0 King's Lynn

This is more like it. Ryan Hirooka was on form again with a hatrick, and loanee Puddy kept out any opposition goals. Sealy also scored.

Mangotsfield 1 - 0 Marine

Although it was a closer match, we still dominated and Ryan Hirooka scored.

Mangotsfield 2 - 5 Yate

Against rivals and never-playables Yate, we were 2-0 down in 23 minutes, and took it to 3-2 before they got away from us. Ryan Hirooka scored.

Waltham Forest 3 - 1 Mangotsfield

Our feeder club, who are never-playable, and we went 1-0 up, holding that till half time, before they scored 3. This Puddy is looking decent, but not amazing.

I tried asking for another parent club. The board said "No!". I sold a grand total of 50 season tickets.

Manager History

Transfers

Pre-Season Goalscorers:

Ryan Hirooka (ST) 7

Tyron Sealy (AM RL) 4

Paul Simpson (AMC) 2

Lennel John-Lewis (FC) 1

Matt Ross (MC) 1

Rhys Henry (ST) 1

Will be updating again after playing half my league games.

Originally posted by kccircle:

Well done - your screenies are too small to view. How many goals has CAton scored for you now?

Caton was my star man too - he still plays in the Championship but only fleetingly. I think, without having FM open at the moment, he has scored 225 in 400 games for me - a truly commendable career

Caton now has 160 goals in 246 appearances overall, about 130 of those have come in the league. It will be a sad day once i have to replace him, he has gone through a number of partners so far but hopefully he can do the job for us in League 1. With our defence a little shaky over the past few seasons I'm a little worried as i have made very few additions to my team over the summer.

Mangotsfield United - 2008/09 - BSS

P5 W2 D0 L3

Table - 5 Games In

Graph - 5 Games In

We did the basics, winning at home, yet losing away. We started with a close 2-1 loss to Thurrock, away of course, and beat Bromley 2-0 at home. Another loss away to Newport Co, this time 1-0, and then a 1-0 win at home over Bishop's Storford. Then away to AFC Wimbledon. One may say that it wasn't such a disgrace as our pre-season against them, but it was just as bad. They won 4-2. Ryan Hirooka, who was looking promising, scored his first league goal here, only because he converted from the spot.

Showing promise; if we win every home game we can collect 63 points, and based on last year, that would put me just outside the playoffs. I'm sure that there's some upsets to come, though.

The Gate... The Story

The Background

I’ve just completed my first season in charge of Margate, and decide to write a little story to accompany my game, and I’ll print and update it here in this thread. If you fancy reading it, I hope you enjoy!

On the final day of the 07/08 season, Margate finally won promotion to the big stage, the Blue Square South. The impossible had been achieved, and the supporters were ecstatic. The chairman instantly laid on an all-expenses paid trip to Sicily for his promotion winning squad, and they set off on their trip of a lifetime to celebrate their achievements. Manager leading the way, they relaxed, drank, and partied. However, on the 13th June they decided to take a tour to the top of Mt Etna. With the normal driver ill, the 4x4 minibus was driven by an inexperienced novice. Desperate to get closer, the players offered their driver a big tip if he would drive to the crater. As they approached it, they looked directly at the fiery pool of magma, but suddenly the earth began to crumble away... the driver slammed the minibus into reverse, but it was too late... they were sliding in...

All 7 of the Margate season ticket holders were in tears... their table-topping team had all perished in one freak accident, and the club was surely doomed in the process. Chairman Rene Tucker trudged off to Margate Comprehensive to inform the remaining team members of the bad news. The fans were told that the eight 16 year olds from the youth team would probably be forced to carry the club through relegation, and that everything would be done over the course of the season to secure a financial future and competitive squad. Just a week later, Tucker announced that a replacement had been found... a part-time research scientist had put his name forward, and despite his questionable footballing credentials, limited to just a few appearances in his college 3rd XI, his charisma and determination had encouraged the chairman to give him a chance. His name was Dr Ellis.

The Gate... The Story

Season 1

The club made an appeal to clubs in every division for assistance in their plight, and three weeks later Tucker and Ellis were shaking hands with John Madejski and Paul Jewell as a partnership was announced. At this point, with five young players signed on free transfers, things weren’t looking up, with only Sam Wedgbury and Paul Jarvis looking reasonable prospects, and the loan signings of Will Puddy and Paul Booth from teams near to Margate in the leagues not being particularly inspirational. However, all this was to change with the acquisition of a new parent club. Sam Wedgbury was appointed captain, and a multitude of Reading players quickly arrived to support him. Three excellent strikers in Simon Church, Illugason and Bossman arrived on the scene, followed by James on the right wing, Sigurdsson and Karacan in the middle, with Lyskov on the left. The defence was shored up by Kelly at left back, Brown at right full back, and Pearce and Bygrave acting as a formidable centre-back pairing. This was completed by Mikkel Anderssen in goal, with Puddy acting as reserves. Further loan deals came in from other teams, providing Leon Crooks and Derek Duncan from Wycombe Wanderers and Glenn Poole from Brentford. All of a sudden, from nothing, The Gate had a team full of future Championship and Premiership prospects.

After a mixed pre-season, hopes were similarly varied. While some supporters felt that the club would survive the drop, others agreed with the media prediction of a complete collapse.

The League

After such pessimism, The Gate stormed into the lead at the beginning of the season, and after fourteen games were unbeaten, winning 10 and drawing 4. The next game, against Dorchester, a 3-0 humiliation would in fact prove to be their sole league defeat of the season. With spirits running high, the team shot through games, dishing out 9 wins by a three goal margin, 3 wins by a four goal margin, another 3 wins by a five goal margin, and a 6-0 annihilation of eventual 3rd place finishers Hayes and Yeading FC. The league was never in doubt, eventually being won by a massive 26 points clear of the nearest opposition, with a goal difference of 87.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/snootyjim/Season1LeagueFinish.jpg[/img]]League Table

The Cups

The season began with the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, where Margate faced an old favourite of the manager, Staines Town. With a fair amount of passion, The Massive fought hard, but ultimately lost 2-1. The Gate continued by beating Lewes, but then came up against Hereford from League 2. After a 1-1 draw at home, the media predicted the end of the dream, but a plucky Margate side picked up a 2-0 away win to continue into the 2nd round. A 3-0 away win against League 1 Barnsley shocked the country, and set up a 3rd round tie against one of the big clubs. And a big club they got, drawing 2nd place Premiership contenders Bolton. However, the Bolton team showed their prowess, showing how large the gap from Blue Square South to the top half of the Premiership really was, thrashing Margate 4-0 in front of a sell out crowd of 2086, presumably including all 48 season ticket holders. However, it seemed that Rene Tucker had let the alcohol flow freely, as the fans were outraged at the failure of the team to threaten the Bolton goal. Left feeling somewhat let down, all the manager could do was hope that he could make up for the ejection from the FA Cup. Sadly it wasn’t to be, with only mediocre success met in the other cups. Reaching the 2nd round of the FA Trophy and the 5th round of the Setanta Cup far outdid the board’s expectations, but still seemed somewhat lacklustre to the ambitious young manager.

The Team

Sam Wedgbury was one of the few non-loan players to feature consistently throughout the season, and quickly became a fan favourite, despite often being relegated to the bench when not required to plug gaps in the centre or right side of both defence and midfield. A true workhorse however, he earned his title as captain, and cemented his position in the team to take on the best that the Blue Square Premier had to offer. The loan signings genuinely proved their worth, showing that their talents lay far beyond the lowly depths of the Blue Square South. Premiership rated striker Simon Church managed to hit 47 goals in 50 appearances, while his colleague Viktor Illugason scored 37 in 41 appearances. The 17 year old backup striker, Kelvin Bossman managed to add 19 goals to this total, with 45 appearances, a large proportion from the bench. Central midfielder and penalty taker Sigurdsson scored 15 goals, some of which were absolutely vital in the team’s rise to success. Overall, the players performed unbelievably well, smashing all expectations and hurling Margate into an unprecedented lead and a fantastic cup run.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l184/snootyjim/Season1BestEleven.jpg[/img]]Best Eleven

At the same time, the clubs finances improved hugely, with the balance rising to around £600K from an original £40K. Furthermore, the chairman decided to stay after initial temptations to leave, and manager Dr Ellis rejected a lucrative contract offer at the end of the season to join Darlington. Margate are on the up!

Originally posted by Des Tiny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

Now who would have expected this to happen?

Ok now do you have any players from Ghana in your squad cause this could make a difference. Otherwise this is just freaky occurance But good work for a small African nation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ no, I can only scout the UK, so I won't get anyone with enough quality to get into an international squad like Ghana.

Originally posted by snooty_jim:

I’ve just completed my first season in charge of Margate, and decide to write a little story to accompany my game, and I’ll print and update it here in this thread. If you fancy reading it, I hope you enjoy!

Good read, great season as well icon14.gif

Mangotsfield United - 2008/09 - Blue Square South

First of all, good work snooty_jim. Shame about the volcano, although not for you (you cold heartless monster!)

P10 W3 D0 L7

Table - 10 Games In

Graph - 10 Games In

We won at home to Havant and W, as expected (we had been decent at home but awful away). Then, as expected again, an away loss. However, with two games coming up at home, it was my opportunity to grab some points. I lost them both, 1-0 to Welling despite dominating, and 4-2 to Woking. I brought some loans in, who haven't really helped much so far, although one has contributed a goal.

I went into my game against Eastbourne Boro dejected, but optimistic. I had brought in two loanees (it would've been more if people weren't saying, "Oh dear, Mangotsfield, one would not like to go to that hellhole."), and I tweaked my tactics. We lost 3-2, my best away result of the season, but I don't think it was down to the tactics. I may be wrong, so I'm going to keep trying it.

I told my, frankly, woeful on-loan goalkeeper, Will Puddy to get his arse in gear. I'll definitely be looking for a decent goalkeeper soon.

Archived