dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ChelseaDaft:

Hi all

Just a quick question, how many of you use tactics you have come up with yourselves and i mean done everything from scratch, completley your own ideas and not taken anything from anyone else?

I find my best tactic by looking at players, I play a system to fit them. If I have good passers I play a short passing game, if I don't I play direct football. My tempo is also decided by the fitness of my players.

I have my own created tactic, it worked through the BSN, now trying to change it slightly with the loss off the loan players I had which Newcastle dumped even though they starred for me, and they wouldn't sign either, oh well I will keep working through and try to avoid relegation though a bit worried bout having told my board I would come safe mid table.

Hi all

Just a quick question, how many of you use tactics you have come up with yourselves and i mean done everything from scratch, completley your own ideas and not taken anything from anyone else?

I have made my own but I've taken settings from a tactic I used on fm2007. This I have altered so it fits fm2008 better.

Hi all

I am. I'm using the tactic I designed using the demo at the moment, I've made others but this one is working well at the moment.

King's Lynn - 2009/10 - Blue Square Premier

League - 14th

Setanta Shiled - 5th Round

Fa Cup - 4th Qual Round

Fa Trophy - 1st Round

Good consolidation for the season finishing 7 places above the expected 21st.

Other info.

Finances - 750k

Club Value - 1mil

New Season Info.

Squad

Transfer Budget - 17k

Wage Budget - 4.6k

Predicted 20th

Oh no!!!!!!!

I'm currently sitting 6th w/ 53 points, 9 matches yet to play...and my top goal-score Pierre Joseph-Dubois goes down for 4-6 months with a broken leg... icon_frown.gif

Joseph-Dubois has had another stormer of a season, netting 21 times in all competitions (17 in 28(2) league appearances, 4 times in 4 cup appearances). Overall, has has scored 42 times (and added 15 assists) since joining King's Lynn in the December of 2008.

He'll be sorely missed---here's hoping my loanee's and other permanent young strikers can step up in the run-in to the playoffs....

Originally posted by G_D_K:

Oh no!!!!!!!

I'm currently sitting 6th w/ 53 points, 9 matches yet to play...and my top goal-score Pierre Joseph-Dubois goes down for 4-6 months with a broken leg... icon_frown.gif

Joseph-Dubois has had another stormer of a season, netting 21 times in all competitions (17 in 28(2) league appearances, 4 times in 4 cup appearances). Overall, has has scored 42 times (and added 15 assists) since joining King's Lynn in the December of 2008.

He'll be sorely missed---here's hoping my loanee's and other permanent young strikers can step up in the run-in to the playoffs....

Joseph-Dubois is also easily my best striker but like you, had to go without him for long periods due to injury icon_frown.gif

He has scored 16 league goals in 18(2) appearances so is sorely missed.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChelseaDaft:

Chelseadaft Blue Square South 08/09 Tiverton

I have restarted and am now manager of Tiverton Town!

How many times it that now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post patch, this is my 3rd attempt.. !

Originally posted by Des Tiny:

To Mexico, can I have a screenshot of your transfers and Trials/Scout Reports for some of those foreign players?

How did you gt so much money?

well i got so much money by only using half my wage budget and having a decent sized stadium which i filled at least a 3rd of for each game and for going on good cup runs, against some decent sides.

i'll get some screenshots later, after dinner.

Just in case you're wondering the following is a list of clubs that have eventually been promoted to the Conference Regionals.

(***) indicates promoted.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Isthmian Premier

AFC Hornchurch 900 (***)

AFC Wimbledon 1350 (***)

Ashford Town (Middx) 650

Billericay Town 1100 (***)

Boreham Wood 950 (***)

Carshalton Athletic 900 (***)

Chelmsford City 1250 (***)

East Thurrock United 600

Folkestone Invicta 700

Harlow Town 600

Harrow Borough 750

Hastings United 600

Hendon 900 (***)

Heybridge Swifts 850

Horsham 800

Leyton 700

Maidstone United 800 (***)

Margate 1100 (***)

Ramsgate 850 (***)

Staines Town 800

Tonbridge Angels 850 (***)

Wealdstone 700

Northern Premier

Ashton United 750

Buxton 850

Eastwood Town 850

Fleetwood Town 1000 (***)

Frickley Athletic 850

Gateshead 1200 (***)

Guiseley 1200 (***)

Hednesford Town 1300 (***)

Ilkeston Town 1050 (***)

Kendal Town 900

Leek Town 900

Lincoln United 850 (***)

Marine 1250 (***)

Matlock Town 1150 (***)

North Ferriby United 950 (***)

Ossett Town 900

Prescot Cables 1000 (***)

Stamford 1000 (***)

Whitby Town 1100 (***)

Witton Albion 1250 (***)

Worksop Town 1200 (***)

Southern Premier

Banbury United 800 (***)

Bashley 600

Bedford Town 1000 (***)

Brackley Town 400

Bromsgrove Rovers 700

Cheshunt 600

Chippenham Town 900 (***)

Cirencester Town 750

Clevedon Town 750

Corby Town 650

Gloucester City 800 (***)

Halesowen Town 900 (***)

Hemel Hempstead Town 800 (***)

Hitchin Town 1000 (***)

King's Lynn 1100 (***)

Mangotsfield United 850 (***)

Merthyr Tydfil 1100 (***)

Rugby Town 600

Swindon Supermarine 450

Team Bath 552

Tiverton Town 1000 (***)

Yate Town 650

</pre>

*Unless I've missed a couple of course icon_wink.gif

CatfishJack - Chelmsford City - 12/13 League Two - Season Review

Despite a good performance last season, no-one expected us to make a successful step up to league football - predicted finish of 24th!

The summer saw a clear-out of some deadwood from the earlier non-league days, and the return of some previous loan signings on frees or repeat loans. Although the squad remained quite settled, it lacked strength in depth.

The season started steadily, as had been hoped with a settled squad, and a couple of good runs in the autumn (12 unbeaten, including 8 straight wins, in league and cups) saw us rise into the play-off places. However we drew too many games over Christmas, and threatened to fall off the pace, as cup games took their toll on the players - the cup runs included a win at top of League One Palace in the JPT on the way to the regional semi-finals, and a trip to runaway Championship leaders S'oton in the FAC3R. These trips helped boost the coffers to over £2m.

The strength-in-depth issue was addressed over the January transfer window, with the arrival of some quality in the midfield, and further improvements up-front - Mark Jackson. Not much was spent, with much more being recouped from the sale of a surplus striker, but the wage budget had to be increased, albeit much of this was due to the club turning pro and young players wanting improved contracts.

Transfers

The squad began to turn in some better results, although not on a consistent enough basis to seriously threaten the top 3, and we qualified for the play-offs in 6th. Progress We headed into the play-offs as a team in form, scraped past Orient with a late goal in the away leg proving the difference in a 3-2 aggregate (2-0 home, 1-2 away). Against Brentford at Wembley we trailed 1-0 at the interval, but second-half goals from star striker Lewis Smith and club captain Scott Wagstaff got us the win in an even game, and promotion!

Final League 2 Table

The board are delighted, but we're likely to struggle next season, especially with a stadium that still holds only 3000. The current squad (average age still only 21!) are all likely to stay, but the key will be to pick up some good loans, maybe from Premier League teams. Our affiliation with Colchester is likely to end, as they will also be in L1 next year. Strength-in-depth was amply illustrated as both the reserves and U18s went on late-season win-streaks to finish 8th and 2nd respectively.

Full-back Dalhouse has been with City since BS South days, as has Wagstaff.

Wagstaff's history

Lewis Smith is closing in on Wagstaff's scoring record (the striker has switched out to the right wing, where he is equally effective) - Smith history

Kurt Robinson is another loyal servant to the club, and narrowly holds the appearance record - Robinson history

Final Position - 6th in League Two (Promoted via play-offs)

FA Cup - 3rd round (beat L2 Port Vale and L1 Walsall on TV, before loss at S'oton)

League Cup - 1st round (lost 2-3 at Cardiff)

JP Trophy - South Semi-finals (beat Gillingham, Palace away, lost to L1 winners Swindon)

Manager Awards 2nd in Manager of Year

Player Awards

Several monthly individual awards, resulting in Moses Barnett (2nd year loanee centre-back) and Scott Wagstaff making the League 2 Select

Originally posted by dafuge:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I'm getting loads more jobs offers than I did with FM06 or 07. Loads of Premier League clubs have approached me, Newcastle probably being the biggest so far.

I haven't had any job offers, but I have had the messages where it says the club isn't going to renew the contract of their manager and it says favourties to succed is .... which I'm included in.

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

AFC Wimbledon Blue Square Premier 09/10

Finished 2nd in my first year of BSP, 5 points behind Woking.

Playoff time. First up Hereford. I haven't lost in 16 games and have a fully fit squad. Hope it's enough for promotion. icon14.gif

Won away leg 3-1, everything great. Home leg 0-4 WTF!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Freakin chokers, i'm going to fine the lot of them

Murrayzoster - Merthyr Tydfil - 08/09 Blue Square South - Season Review

A season of unexpected sucess for this club. We went into the last day of the season needing a win to gurantee a play off place.

Hear was the result

The Decider icon_eek.gif

With this result we went into the play-offs facing afc wimbledon

1st Leg

2nd Leg

With this unexpected result we went into the play-offs facing........St Albans the team we had to beat to get into the play-offs.

It was a nervous match throughtout.

Hear is the result.

The Final

icon_eek.gif

Sucess!

We Won. We were now promoted and i am looking forward nto the next season.

Hear is my squad, transfers and managers overview

Squad

Transfers 1

Transfers2

Transfers 3

Manager Overview

Now Onto The Next Season! icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I'm getting loads more jobs offers than I did with FM06 or 07. Loads of Premier League clubs have approached me, Newcastle probably being the biggest so far.

I'm in the same boat, but only since I got into the Championship.

Not had a club like Newcastle yet but currently get linked to every job in the CCC and Leagues 1 and 2. Only had a couple of physical offers though

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

I'm in the same boat, but only since I got into the Championship.

Not had a club like Newcastle yet but currently get linked to every job in the CCC and Leagues 1 and 2. Only had a couple of physical offers though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every time a job becomes available, i become favourite to take over. I actually quite like the attention lol

Originally posted by Kazpeer:

I will probably get sacked, after my second season in Boreham Wood. I thougt i would promote, but i have now lost a few games, and im not even close to promote ..

I was right. I got sacked icon_frown.gif

But i will probably start again this evening.

Matthew Smith - Tiverton Town - 2011/2012

League 1 started off bad, not getting a win in first 5 games. But then the star striker returned from injury and pushed the team forward, becoming the clubs all time top goalscorer in the process. We pushed forward and into the playoff spots by midseason.

The cups didn't go well, but because of the boards low expectations, there was no disappointment from our bad performances.

In the 2nd half of the season, we made an almighty push, with Scotsman Robert Malcolm leading the team up the league even more. By the end of the season, we had yet again beat the odds and finished in 2nd place.

Championship here we come! icon_biggrin.gif

The club has announced a stadium expansion and while it takes place we have moved into Exeters St James's Park. The club also took a 2.6 million loan to allow me to spend next year.

This season will be had though, with a very poor defence for this standard.

Star man yet again was Ashley Barnes, who has played 171 games, scoring 163 goals for us

Margate - 3rd Season Update

The season started off as an absolute nightmare, slipped down the table, faced real problems. However, the fans got restless, I dropped the entire first team and the reserves fought to a 3-3 draw. That kick-started the team and we did okay since then, rising to a final 8th place finish.

We signed MacDonald at the beginning of the season, he seems like an excellent prospect, and then later on Jahson Downes became available. I wasn't really sure, we've had a lot of average strikers in the reserves, but he didn't want high wages so I thought what the hell, and he's turned out to be a fantastic buy.

In other news, Viktor Illugason scored his 100th goal for The Gate after 3 seasons on loan. He has both Margate and myself listed as favourites of his, but somehow I think next season we'll struggle to get him on loan again. Xavier Barrau got worse in terms of stats, but somehow managed to be one of the top performers, and won Fans' Player of the Season for the second season in a row.

Oh and I'm about to murder Mark Bloxam. He took the new record for 'Defender with least ability to avoid hacking down opposition players inside own box'. We're lucky he didn't cost us more matches with his ridiculous defending tactics.

League Table

Best Eleven

Adrian MacDonald - Apologies for bad quality

Jahson Downes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

Finished 2nd in my first year of BSP, 5 points behind Woking.

Playoff time. First up Hereford. I haven't lost in 16 games and have a fully fit squad. Hope it's enough for promotion. icon14.gif

Won away leg 3-1, everything great. Home leg 0-4 WTF!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Freakin chokers, i'm going to fine the lot of them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having taken time out and no longer wishing death on my squad i'll do the season review.

A good first year in the BSP all things considered but being so close to automatic promotion and then getting nothing was hard.

Table

Graph

Squad

My 2 best players (excluding loanees)

Joseph-Dubois

Hall

Transfers

Finances

The big drop was from giving the squad too high a bonus for winning the BSS in my first season. Managed to get back into the black but still only semi-professional club. Really hoping i can go professional and scout all of uk/ireland.

My Current Manager Profile

Looking to challenge for the title this coming season. Won't be getting any of the loanees back, will really miss Tomkins who will now be playing in the Premier League. Will get to see if i've used the time well in building a squad.

Bought in 3 new kids on frees this summer, all former premier league youths after scouting probably 30 of them.

Main note is that they're valued at £130k, 110k and 95k respectively where as the previous highest player was valued at £35k (main striker) so even if they don't become 1st team regulars I should be able to make a decent profit later on. icon_biggrin.gif

And now I'm about to lose my captain icon_frown.gif

Offered low bonuses (still £180k..grrr) for league. It's all I can afford and now my captain, just before the season starts, wants to move to a bigger club. icon_redface.gif

That has happened to me but on the challenge, don't take the captaincy off him because he then hates you and won't accept a new contract and when it happened to me no one would buy him. So I had to wait for his contract to run out losing out on money.

Just started this challenge signed up to the website and that.

Got Halesowen on me 4th reload so not too long to wait...

You get Kidderminster as a Parent club but they won't let me loan anyone from them so that's useless...

Brought in 7 playaers which i will post a screenshot of the season review...

2-2 against Kidderminster (Friendly)

3-3 against Fisher (Friendly)

2-0 Win against Stourport (Friendly)

2-1 Win against Hucknall (BSP)

Great Start...

Originally posted by A True Fan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

And now I'm about to lose my captain icon_frown.gif

Offered low bonuses (still £180k..grrr) for league. It's all I can afford and now my captain, just before the season starts, wants to move to a bigger club. icon_redface.gif

That has happened to me but on the challenge, don't take the captaincy off him because he then hates you and won't accept a new contract and when it happened to me no one would buy him. So I had to wait for his contract to run out losing out on money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was 2 days after I reselected him as captain for the upcoming season...lol. Luckily though he's backed down for now so i'm going to try and sign him longer term and then sell him if I don't get promoted.

Originally posted by matty_8:

Anyone know why my hands on approach continues to decline?

Im now in the Championship, but as each season goes by, it seems to drop more? Is there anyway of improving it?

What stats have you got?

Mine are (season 2017/18)

Loyalty 11

Domestic Bias 20

Financial Control 14

Hands on 9

Discipline 20

Tactical Consistency 20

And I'm on 1400 quid a week

Originally posted by matty_8:

season 2012/2013

loyalty 5?! (ive turned down 2 offers from other clubs)

hand on 4

It's player and club loyalty - do you regularly switch your starting line-up around, do you keep players long? My squad is pretty settled, most players make over 100 appearances, but I still don't get a high rating there. Maybe it's using loanees that affects it.

Do you get your assman to do team-talks? (low hands-on score)

I'm impressed you've been given wages that large - I'm in L1 and my new contract is only £775 p/w.

Loyalty 6

Domestic Bias 20

Financial Control 16

Hands on 20

Discipline 20

Tactical Consistency 18

Archived