FM10 Potential Ability Thread (v10.1.2) including shortlist **SPOILERS**

arsenal_2111

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Incredible Hulk, I know there's been a lot of hype around Wilshere, but the games that he has played for first team, have not been the tough games, they have been a couple of pre-season games. If we all went by pre-season, then Darren Bent would have succeeded at Spurs, its just not a true reflection. Teams give you time on the ball because they do not want to commit too hard in case of injuries. I don't see why your arguing over a -9 or -10 surely a -9 means he is a fantastic prospect. If you compare him to Otamendi who has already got international caps for one of the best nations of the world. I do think Wilshere will be good, but I don't think we have seen enough to really say he is a -10. One player I would compare him to is Adel Taarabt, who when he came to Spurs 3 seasons back everyone was raving about his little cameo's. You probably saw yourself him nutmeg both Gallas and Fabregas in the same game, he has incredible skill, but thats not to say he should be a -10. As we have seen, he hasn't really progressed at all. Wilshere could be the same, he hasn't really proven too much yet. And too say he has been outstanding at youth level, a lot of players have, Ryan Mason at Spurs last year scored an incredible amount of goals and assists, but he has been rated **** on the game. Likewise Delfounoso (sp) tore it up at youth level, and Wilshere has been rated a lot higher than him and most other prospects that have done it at youth level. Yeh he could be the next Gazza, but he could also be the next Taarabt, Alliadierre, Dalmat, Denilson...

Your arguement for Walcott to be automatically over the likes of Lennon is your bias showing I think. Lennon has done a lot more at both club and international level for a long time. Yeh Walcott got the Hatrick and fair play he did well, but if we are talking about proving it week in week out, and learning as well, I think you have got a hard arguement to say Walcott is better than Lennon and has the potential to grow better than Lennon will.

The thing about Jordan Henderson, is yes he must be talented but is he getting in just because he is young with some potential and Sunderland are waiting to see what that is. Sunderland don't have too many wide midfielders so he is filling in that back up role. It was like Rohan Ricketts used to do at Spurs, and he has just been released from Toronto in Canada. A bit like the West Ham lads, Tomkins, Stanislas and Hines, are they in there because of there talent or because West Ham just can't afford to have too many proven players like Collins on the wage bill???

I think its easy to let our clubs bias get in the way. If it was up to me I'd rate Gomes, King and Assou-Ekotto a bit higher, but then i can also accept that might just be the fan in me talking and overating them.

please dont forget people.. that PA isnt how good a player is... just how good he may become... so the jonny evans having a higher rating then sergio ramos thing is redundant imo.. sergio ramos is already world class in game.. and its clear for most people to see now that he's filling his potential irl so a PA of what he's got is understandable

jonny evans on the other hand is a rising star and will be a good defender.. and a regular fixture in the premiership for quite a while i can see.. so its also understandable that he's got a high PA rating considering how much he could potentially learn and improve in his years at united..

basically , my point is dont forget what PA actually is....

regarding wilshire ... clearly the lad is one of the best potential stars in the UK ... and therefore imo , in the world .. warrants a -10 and will certaintly get one in my game ....

ramsey is clearly too low imo aswell..

Thats veryyy low for Toulalan

He is a very good player, does what you need whether its defensive or offensive, the most surprised PA I have seen so far (and a few others but not as big as this because the other players are very young, even though Toulalan is young also, he just looks like he is at least 30)

United have had a very good deal this time. I agree with every one of those ratings..

Being an United fan, I do agree with the -10 thing for Wilshere, but I don't think it's anything against Arsenal. It's just that in all the editions, English / EPL players are rated lower than their continental counter parts rightly / wrongly taking into account the hype that the English media creates.

-9 is still a pretty good PA, and with PA of around 175 or so, I think he can become a world class player.

About the Evans and Walcott thing, I'm sorry, but what exactly has Walcott done? Evans has proved himself at the highest level starting against players like Drogba, Torres and still doing well. It's surprising that he's still 21, and if I'm to put my money on who's going to make it, I'd much rather put it on Evans than on Walcott.

I'm not saying Walcott doesn't have talent, but his progress has been hampered by injury last time and any PA between 170-180 is extremely realistic for Walcott.

A bit like the West Ham lads, Tomkins, Stanislas and Hines, are they in there because of there talent or because West Ham just can't afford to have too many proven players like Collins on the wage bill???
Tomkins took over comfortably from Collins when he was injured last season and the one before. He also kept his place in the team when Collins came back, being trusted to play at right back. In fact Tomkins and Upson (with Green, Illunga and Neill), from 09 until last month were only second to Chelsea in terms of goals conceded in the league from what I recall reading. Tomkins actually broke into the first team before Collison was able to get more than a bench spot.

Stanislas was recalled from Southend after impressing on loan (notably against Chelsea) and has impressed and scored several goals in just a few starts. Hines is a surprise admittedly.

I can't believe Macheda is a -9. Jesus.

I can't believe Macheda is a -9. Jesus.

Are you suggesting he should be lower? I'm presuming that you think he got that -9 because of 'those' two goals?

If you are, then you are wrong. Macheda has showed potential, those 2 goals were a sign of it. But Macheda played very well in the reserves last year. He even got player of the year at the club for that level. He scored goals last year and this year. His hat trick v Newcastle as an example. He also performed very well in Man Utd's pre season tour, scoring a few goals and showing his skill.

Definitely deserving of a -9. I could go on, but this is not for this thread.

Are you suggesting he should be lower? I'm presuming that you think he got that -9 because of 'those' two goals?

If you are, then you are wrong. Macheda has showed potential, those 2 goals were a sign of it. But Macheda played very well in the reserves last year. He even got player of the year at the club for that level. He scored goals last year and this year. His hat trick v Newcastle as an example. He also performed very well in Man Utd's pre season tour, scoring a few goals and showing his skill.

Yes, and he has also done well for Italy at youth level. Clearly he has potential.

I was hoping someone could please tell me the PA's of the following players:

Salvatore Bocchetti

Francesco Bolzoni

Roberto Aquafresca

Ivan Fatic

Still don't see how that merits a -9 when young players who start and impress for us don't even get a look in.

Has anyone put Collison's PA up yet?

He has scored brilliant goals in the league, impressed against the big sides and looked good for Wales. Surely he deserves a -9 or the equivalent if Macheda is a shoe in?

Sorry, but if Johnny Evans has got a brighter footballing future than walcott, I'll eat my pet cat! All i can say is, thank god for the editor.

In 2 years time Evans will have replaced Ferdinand as first choice CB. And he will secure that spot for the next 10 years. He's a better player now than Rio was at 21.

Still don't see how that merits a -9 when young players who start and impress for us don't even get a look in.

Has anyone put Collison's PA up yet?

He has scored brilliant goals in the league, impressed against the big sides and looked good for Wales. Surely he deserves a -9 or the equivalent if Macheda is a shoe in?

Collison had -9 PA in FM2009 IIRC. My guess is he's been given a set PA probably a good one between 160-170.

who is the striker Fernando at the team ADESG? My Fluminense scouts told me to sign him and he's got 6 stars! And is 'a lot better than Fred'

He's got no history and he's 28 years old

whats his ca and pa?

nevermind i have found out he's a fake player

Could anyone tell me the PA of the following players: Jack Rodwell, Levan Kenia, Chris Wood(West Brom), Stephan El Shaarawy, Lorenzo Crisetig, Ross Jenkins, Michael Potts, James Wallace, Nathanial Clyne, James McCarthy, Adam Matthews, David Alaba, George Moncur

In 2 years time Evans will have replaced Ferdinand as first choice CB. And he will secure that spot for the next 10 years. He's a better player now than Rio was at 21.

Yeah sure….just like people thought Senderos was going to be a world class CB a couple of years back.

Oh and...

Denílson CA of 142 (16o)

Diaby CA of 139 (170)

There's a bit more proof that the researchers/Si have lost the plot with ratings in FM10!!!

what has john fleck done so wrong between fm09 & fm10 that his PA has been changed from -9 to 131, I was also hoping Danny Wilson had been made alot better but he is only 132PA, Plus Bougherra has shown reasonable loyalty to Rangers and is deserving of a rating better that 3 IMO.

Here's what I don't get. What are there so many Man Utd youngsters on a -9, some who have barely made at most a handful of first-team appearances whereas Arsenal only have Ramsey, Wilshere and Nordvelt to speak of? I'm fine with Arsenal players not being overhyped and all but surely there should be some consistency across the board? Gibbs for example has played well in some high-pressure games over a decent stretch of games and yet does not merit a -9. What does it take then?

Here's what I don't get. What are there so many Man Utd youngsters on a -9, some who have barely made at most a handful of first-team appearances whereas Arsenal only have Ramsey, Wilshere and Nordvelt to speak of? I'm fine with Arsenal players not being overhyped and all but surely there should be some consistency across the board? Gibbs for example has played well in some high-pressure games over a decent stretch of games and yet does not merit a -9. What does it take then?

You’re spot on mate. The Arsenal research this year seems to be really poor, not just the youngsters but also some of the comparative ca/pa given to some of the established players as well. In comparison, several Man U players seem to have been given unreasonably high ratings. Taking all team bias out of the picture, there certainly does seem to be some glaring inconsistencies with regard to player ratings that are just impossible to reasonably justify. Also, when you look at the overall trend in ca/pa reductions (especially the reduced amount of -10 players) it makes you wonder how much of this is down to the researchers and how much of it is an intended policy from SI? Would be good if someone from SI would comment on this.

shunterbaby

There is a fine line between a discussion and an argument. We're are discussing our thoughts and feelings about the CA's/PA's handed out to players.

The question is not about Wilshere still becoming world-class with a -9PA. My point is simple - the evaluation of players is very, very inconsistent. Like I said in a previous post, what had for eg Bojan or Vela done in FM07/FM08 to deserve -10 PA's? They hadn't played at the top level either but were still given those -10 PA's. What have guys like Areola, Galvan etc done to deserve -10 PA's this year? I don't think any of these guys have any significant achievement to talk about. It's all got to with how they've done in whatever game and at whatever level they've been given a chance.

As for Adel Taarabt, if I'm not mistaken he WAS given a -10 or atleast a -9 PA on one of the versions of FM. I'm reasonably certain that in one of the versions/patches of FM, he had a -10 PA as well. Might be wrong though. That's the point I've been trying to make - you CANNOT make an evaluation of a player's PERCIEVED potential thinking he MIGHT flop sometime in the future. That's idiotic and takes too many unknowns into the equation. You give the player a particular potential because of the ability he's shown in very recent past.

Walcott - where in God's name did I say he is better than Lennon or anyone else? I said Walcott is too young to be a given a fixed PA and should be given a negative potential. I would like him to be a -10 but I can also understand why people would give him a -9. As for Lennon, he's only started performing consistently very recently. So not really a good choice for any discussion just yet.

Archived