Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

dafuge

Last night my Newcastle side gave it their best shot but ultimately went down 2-1 at the Bernabeu (after drawing 2-2 at home) and thus knocked out of the Europa League by the one goal on aggregate. Sounds tough to moan but they played with 10 men for the last 20 minutes and I really felt we could have nicked another. :(

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 1: Started at Port Vale. Very weak squad, got a few Premier/Championship youths on loan and cobbled together an attacking 4-4-2. Marc Richards suddenly found his shooting boots and we achieved promotion as champions.

Season 2: Absolutely no money and a real lack of pace and stamina throughout the squad.

Signed as many players as possible, lots of released kids from Premier League teams to bolster the squad and try and cover all eventualities. Won only 1 game in the first 10 in League One, board not too fussed but the senior players I'd signed for leadership (like Alan Navarro) were really underperforming, so much so that I lost my rag after the 12th game and before a league game with recently relegated Millwall I praised their squad to high heaven and ended up resigning from Port Vale after a 3-0 defeat, only to take the reins at Millwall after they lost the following two matches and binned Jackett.

Now Millwall had a very strong team, the bulk of their original squad minus a couple of midfielders but they still had Morison and a brilliant 20 year old Latvian regen striker called Savalniecks, who had wonderful technique, workrate and passing. Setting up a direct, rigid, hard tackling/pressing team with these two up front worked a dream and we managed to take 2nd, losing out on the title by a point (Sickeningly, 6-0 up against Brentford after jsut 40 mins in the final league game (the most lethal finishing I've ever seen) and my laptop overheated and crashed. Had saved prior to this match but alas we struggled to a 2-2 draw second time around!!!!!)

Season 3: The rigid 4-4-2 began to be exposed by some opposition midfields, typically teams playing 4-5-1, so I took a breather and came on here for inspiration. Some cat mentioned a 3-4-3 (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/246918-How-to-build-a-flat-3-4-3-a-tactical-discussion) and Millwall had plenty strong centrebacks/wing backs and wingers for me to try this out, not to mention an ace deep lying forward/target man in Savalniecks and a quality poacher in Morison. Long story short, we finished 3rd on goal difference, and lost the playoff final to Cardiff 3-2 with both our goals coming in the last 3 minutes. The occasion was too much for the boys.

Season 4: Millwall off to a flyer, unbeaten after 8 or 9 league games and smashing Cardiff 4-0 at the Den in the League Cup.

All is well until Norwich, my hometown team, sack an underperforming Andy Ritchie and offer me the job. I have to accept and find a squad of about 16 players, a decent enough defence but very little in central midfield and very few options.

I stick with the teams established 4-4-2 diamond for the first game, away to Burnley and we cruise to a 2-0 win. Keeping faith for the away at Stoke, we lose 2-0 and never look dangerous.

Deciding to get rigid and shore things up, we go 4-5-1 and grind out four one goal wins. However due to appalling stamina/injury we cannot keep a settled front line and just days after making his debut and getting an assist some Spanish no-mark signed by the old regime wants a new £4k contract, which I decline to offer him and he immediatly goes into a huff and wants to leave. A £3k wage increase after one assist!! He gets listed, then the board embargo transfers due to some whopper called David Lucas buying out the club.

The media messages at this point seem to ignore the fact I've only been at the club for 6 games and appear to pin the poor league position and finances on me!!

As if this wasn't bad enough, Phil Brown attends all Norwich games and apparently this has gone down well with the new chairman who wants him to take over when he finalises buying the club. Luckily a solid 1-0 win over Ipswich makes my record P7 W5 D1 L1 the fans rating me highly and this new chairman whopper Lucas concedes he has to stick with me, the tit makes a point of saying its down to fan pressure only, not his choice. So thats where I'm at. Thanks for reading.

Since I didn't feel I would be able to get them going I resigned and hoped for a decent gig somewhere else in L1/L2.

I luckily had to wait for only 2 weeks when Cardiff came knocking on my door. They have a big debt and a small aging squad but have a much bigger fanbase than Hartlepool (bottom of the league in avg. attendance) so a lot more potential which is something I am incredibly thrilled by.

I've found myself in a very similar position at Hartlepool. The stadium, fan-base and facilities are not very conducive to building something strong, at least not outside of the very long term. I'd be keen to find somewhere with better resources, like a Cardiff or similar, not particularly for the finances but rather to be better able to recruit, develop and retain players.

My contract expires at the end of this - my fourth - season. I'd sort of decided that this season would be 'promotion or quit', meaning that I'll stay if we go up to the Championship, but leave if we remain in League One. The board recently offered me a new two year deal, I told them I'm delaying my decision until the end of the season.

One fixture remains. Norwich City and Bristol City are in the automatic promotion slots on 88 & 87 points... Hartlepool are 3rd on 87pts, just a single goal behind. So there's an outside chance of automatic promotion if they slip up, or if not, a second chance via the playoffs. It hangs in the balance!

I've found myself in a very similar position at Hartlepool. The stadium, fan-base and facilities are not very conducive to building something strong, at least not outside of the very long term. I'd be keen to find somewhere with better resources, like a Cardiff or similar, not particularly for the finances but rather to be better able to recruit, develop and retain players.

My contract expires at the end of this - my fourth - season. I'd sort of decided that this season would be 'promotion or quit', meaning that I'll stay if we go up to the Championship, but leave if we remain in League One. The board recently offered me a new two year deal, I told them I'm delaying my decision until the end of the season.

One fixture remains. Norwich City and Bristol City are in the automatic promotion slots on 88 & 87 points... Hartlepool are 3rd on 87pts, just a single goal behind. So there's an outside chance of automatic promotion if they slip up, or if not, a second chance via the playoffs. It hangs in the balance!

You can just keep rejecting the contract offers until 1 week before it expires, that's the last time they will offer you one (at least that's how it worked for me in 2 different seasons). Usually it's around the time the wage budget will be unveiled so it's as good a spot as any.

My takeover sadly didn't end up in any debts being cleared, even more disappointing was the fact that we lost in the playoff finals to Plymouth after finishing 5th. The biggest loan (150k/month) will be cleared in december of the new season so that will help but if it gets us to into the profit zone we will have two gift loans to pay off at ~150k/month combined for another 5 years at least :D

It has been a lot easier to get decent players to join Cardiff compared to Hartlepool (lot higher reputation I think). The wage budget is also a lot higher, even with the debts. So if you can make a move like this I'd suggest you take it (unless you desperately want to take Hartlepool to the premier league obviously), and since you can handle L1 with Hartlepool you're probably going to be a Premier league manager a lot quicker than I am. Hartlepool never left the 24th place with the squad I left them with and relegated with 5 or 6 games to go :o

In my game recently relegated Leeds are currently in tycoon takeover talks with the tycoon rumoured to give them a 41m transfer budget (in League One, amazing :rolleyes: ) if he takes over. That would be a nice job to get next :p But it will have to wait a while since I have decided to take a break from game for a while as RL commitments will take over most of my time in februari.

You can just keep rejecting the contract offers until 1 week before it expires, that's the last time they will offer you one (at least that's how it worked for me in 2 different seasons). Usually it's around the time the wage budget will be unveiled so it's as good a spot as any.

Yeah, that's about what happened. My second request for a delay was rejected, so I walked away from the contract talks on the eve of the playoff final... which we went on to lose one-nil to Southend. Gutted! Dominated much of the game too, just couldn't break through.

I'd promised promotion and narrowly failed to deliver, and my captain came to me the day after to request a move to a bigger club. Still, when the contract was laid back on the table... I decided to stay. I negotiated down to just a one year extension rather than two and signed. My change of mind was partly due to a lack of other available jobs at that moment in time, partly because I didn't want to quit on that Wembley defeat, partly because I didn't want to abandon some of the young-ish players I've been developing that are now on the brink of the first team, partly because the bank balance is looking healthy after our playoff/FA Cup runs, and partly because the board subsequently agreed to build a new training facility... although that will take a year to finish.

My 30yr old Finnish captain moved to Premier League Fulham for a reasonable £300K. I didn't try to stop him leaving, he's far too good for League One and had showed patience to stick around for the last three years. Replacing him will be tough. Much of the first team squad is now around 21/20/19 years old, aside from a core group of key players, but there's lots of potential there.

The board, however, want promotion now rather than later, having come so close last time. So do I, but we need to bring in experience and scouting is proving difficult. I seem to be lumbered with a pair of numpties for a scouting team, who struggle to identify players on their own doorstep never mind anywhere further afield, and advertising for a new Scout only generates a queue of similar numpties outside the Victoria Park entrance. The vast majority of the players I've attracted to Hartlepool have been on the back of spontaneous recommendations by my coaching staff, who seem much better connected than actual scouts.

My save in N. Ireland just keeps getting better and better made the knockout stages of the champions league and although we don't have a chance of reaching the knockout stages but still the prize money has done us good.

the league is now rated at 1 1/2 stars after i took it from 1/2 a star unfortunately for me though alot of my first team players now want to move to bigger clubs so i may have to do some rebuilding in the summer.

On the youth front there hasn't ever been anyone good enough for my team but looking to upgrade the facilities for them.

Also i have finally made the clubs icon list and i'm recognised on the continent things are looking up in N. Irish football

oh i thought that anybody playing fm could post updates about their careers and not just people who have career threads going on.

please inform me if im allowed to post updates about my career

That is right, absolutely anyone can use this thread to post about their career. It was initially started for people who didn't want to start their own threads but wanted to informally post updates about their games.

Can't believe I have only just sumbled across this forum and thread. I love hearing about other people's careers and people at work get bored of hearing about mine!!

So, I have loaded the English leagues down to Lge 2, italian down to C1, Spanish 1st and 2nd, Dutch top division and France down to the Ntional. Wanted to load more but that is the max my computer could take.

Started unemployed as a Urugyian professional footballer. Offered a few jobs but none really appealed After about half a season I was offered the Monza job who were in relegation troble. Managed to save them first season and then win the league the second. In the 3rd season and was offered the Reggina job about 3/4 of the way through with a start date of the following season and I accepted. kept Monza up and now, in my 4th season have won Serie B with Reggina. Hope to keep them up before moving on again to a decent team in one of the top divisions loaded.

Enjoying this save. One of my favourite FM saves of all time.

After 10 games in serie A, Reggina were holding their own and we just above midtable, when I got an interesting job offer from Bordeaux. Big club who had fallen on hard times and were currently 12th in the league. Had reservations about leaving after just 18months at Reggina, but thought it would be a step up so accepted.

It is January and i just loaned out Breno to shaktar for 1.9M euro up front and the possibility of selling him for 9.5M by June.

What do you think? I consider it a wise move for my AEK's side especially after signing him for free, he has a fgn spot and i play only for the league and cup that i will most certainly win by the end.

YEEEESSSSS WE WON THE LEAGUEEEEE!!!!

AEK AEK AEK !!!!

Incredible photo finish in the league. I was 3 points behind panathinaikos and i had an easy match for the last fixture. Panathinaikos on the other hand played olympiakos away. in the tie i am better! panathinaikos loses 3-0 an i win 1-0!!!

CHAMPIONS!!!

YEEEESSSSS WE WON THE LEAGUEEEEE!!!!

AEK AEK AEK !!!!

Incredible photo finish in the league. I was 3 points behind panathinaikos and i had an easy match for the last fixture. Panathinaikos on the other hand played olympiakos away. in the tie i am better! panathinaikos loses 3-0 an i win 1-0!!!

CHAMPIONS!!!

Congrats dude.

Going to start the FM career with Preston (while waiting for the update to arrive), told the board that I would 'enjoy' the challenge to beat the relegation. 4 games unbeaten (1 win 3 draws - no idea how with the defence being non existant!)

how is it going? start of the 4th season and although we are ambitious, we weren't lucky in the transfer window. not enough free players and the expenses made us get only 3-4 new player. the defense will suffer once more. also what hurt us is the rules of players needed to be trained in Greece and/or AEK for 3 years during their adolescence... difficult..

A cautionary tale here.

In short: the grass is not always greener. In long: the Hartlepool board threw a hissy fit because, while under contract, I merely sent a CV to Millwall about their managerial vacancy. Ooh, they didn't like that. I apologised, but they still had a strop and tore up my contract. So whereas before I had a comfortable job while wistfully eyeing something bigger, I'm now unemployed and the only clubs entertaining the idea of approaching me are non-league outfits.

My Sunday League Footballer reputation has clearly not been that far enhanced by four years in League One with Hartlepool, where I considered myself to be doing a good job (turned a relegation candidate into a promotion favourite). So not only am I feeling regret over the promising squad I have now left behind, I'm also facing the likely prospect of having to re-start my career on a lower rung just to haul myself back up to where I was before.

Boo.

You should be able to get another L1 job fairly easily. Else it's most likely the career bug affecting your game (seen reports of people winning everything with teams like Celtic or Ajax and not being able to get a job above the BSN/Serie C/etc. afterwards).

I selected Sunday League rep as well and have had no trouble finding jobs in the division I was in, even at clubs with higher reputation than the ones I left (eg. resigning from Hartlepool after ~13 games in L1 and getting the Cardiff job or quitting Droylsden after winning the BSP and getting the Hartlepool job in L2).

Despite my World Class reputation and winning 20 trophies and numerous leagues I am finding it difficult to get a job without having to resign from the club first. I offer out my services and I get laughed off at times. For instance, I applied for the Partizan job after their manager retired and I was rejected for Zoran Tosic who had little management experience and was National rep.

got a youth acadamy and average youth facilities but i still get absoloutly rubbish youth coming through.

on the european front after becoming the 90th best team in europe its starting to go wrong i haven't made the champions league for the last 2 years but at least the league is getting noticed more it's now rated at 2 stars and we are not far from getting slightly better european qualification places

excellent photo finish at the group stage of champions league. we (AEK) were 1 point behind Valencia and we would stay behind in a tie.

We needed a victory against Bayern and Valencia not to beat Zenit.

Valencia - Zenit 1-2

AEK - Bayern 5-2 (!!!)

off to the first knock out stage!

A cautionary tale here.

In short: the grass is not always greener. In long: the Hartlepool board threw a hissy fit because, while under contract, I merely sent a CV to Millwall about their managerial vacancy. Ooh, they didn't like that. I apologised, but they still had a strop and tore up my contract. So whereas before I had a comfortable job while wistfully eyeing something bigger, I'm now unemployed and the only clubs entertaining the idea of approaching me are non-league outfits.

My Sunday League Footballer reputation has clearly not been that far enhanced by four years in League One with Hartlepool, where I considered myself to be doing a good job (turned a relegation candidate into a promotion favourite). So not only am I feeling regret over the promising squad I have now left behind, I'm also facing the likely prospect of having to re-start my career on a lower rung just to haul myself back up to where I was before.

Boo.

I had this too. Dragged Pisa up from Serie C1/B by the bootstraps to Serie A, left and got Beira-Mar relegated on a 6 month job. After being fired, I got offered a BSN side or a Serie C2/A team.

• 2 weeks later...

FM09 in the year 2055.

I'm currently at Real Marcianise in Serie A, in my third season with them and the last two seasons have been firmly stuck mid table.

The only decent player in my team, Valbson, a 21 year old speedy super striker has gone for £22.5m. I'm so scared! last season none of my other strikers got a goal between them, it was all on Valbson's shoulders!

So I've gone on a spending spree, improving all areas of my squad with wheeling and dealing to the tune of 14 players so far!

Going to be an interesting season ahead.

I created a fairly ambitious created nation replacing Northern Ireland with it in FM10. I've been going back and forth making alterations, but finally about to dive into it with a brand new club created the vein of those expansion team in the US. There's a whole story behind it and so, I am prepping to dive in with them. Once I figure out what to name them, that is. Between that and the free agents db, I'm flying high.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived