Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

dafuge

WTF, SI?

Loaded my save. First match back in I lose my AMR and my AMC to injuries (the AMR will be out 3 months with a torn hamstring; the AMC will be out 4 weeks).

Then a couple days later in practice, my AML goes down for 3 weeks.

SORTITOUTSI. :D

Sounds like they "sorted it out" for you quite well! You don't have any quandry now about who to play in the attacking half of the pitch! <lol>

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villarreal save started superbly. :D

We've yet to lose a game in any competition. Our last match was a 0-0 at Real Madrid, with my GK Diego Lopez getting MOM. I absolutely detest Real - every time I play them as anyone they seem to bully their way to victory. 3 of my midfielders went off injured, while they seemed to get away with constantly barging my players off the ball and cynically fouling them without punishment. Still, they only had 1 CCC and insisted on long shots. We managed 7 shots to their 21, but it was 5 to 2 on SOT in their favour.

We're top after 17 sensational games, with 15 wins and 2 draws. Real are 3pt behind and Barca 9 behind them. Aim is to finish above Barca from this position. Scored 43 in those 17 games. :)

23 games in and it looks like a two-horse race.

Villarreal - 65pt

Real Madrid - 62pt

Barca - 46pt

Lost our first game, a 1-0 home loss to Valencia in the cup, but we've won our 9 games since - including a 1-0 penalty win in the return leg and then an excellent 1-0 victory away at Real Madrid in the next round first leg, with another Lopez masterclass. :cool:

30 games gone, still unbeaten despite having a bit of a crap spell a while back. Very lucky 1-1 draw at Sevilla where we were shocking until an amazingly good late team move. Drew with Getafe and narrowly beat Osasuna, Tenerife and Osasuna.

We're 2nd, 1pt behind Real who we face soon. 17 points ahead of Barca.

Seem to be back in some form though, with two 3-1 away wins at Valencia in Europe and cup, as well as a brilliant 4-0 away win at HSV in the next round where Rossi finally broke his poor spell. Barca away next.

I'm thinking this deserves its own thread. :)

Oh dear, I've got a lot of work on to save Motril.

First two matches (away), lost 2-0 and 3-0. Both games we were called for a penalty and had a difficult time just getting the ball out of our own end.

Already resting at the foot of the table.

This game is so cruel at times. :mad:

Holding the league leaders 0 - 0 at our place, with a grand plan to put on a big finish, when, of course, we give up a stupid 89th minute penalty, slotted home easily when my otherwise reliable keeper guesses the wrong way and moves early to boot. <sigh>

Too much like real life, sometimes! :D

going into the 4th season with Woking. I won the Blue square South in first season, failed to get promoted twice in a row the second season and won the blue square premier league the third season. During this time i got offers to manage Birmingham, Bolton and other mediocre Premier league teams. But now, May 2012, i was offered the job in Manchester United! Of course rejected it as i always stick to one team! NICE!

Still playing my lengthy FM 2009 save.

...I finished my first season with West Ham as runner-up in the Championship, gaining automatic promotion and the quick return that the board were demanding. We'd led for most of the way but Brighton took the top spot, denying my second consecutive Championship title. I didn't mind - promotion was the main thing.

Greater success arrived in the FA Cup. Having already eliminated Premiership Stoke and Tottenham in previous rounds, we squeezed past Brighton in a tense Wembley semi to earn a place in the final against much-fancied Newcastle. The Magpies won the Premiership last season and finished runner-up this time around, and had a Champions League final to look forward to afterwards. As you can imagine, we were clear underdogs.

We matched them surprisingly well in the first half, edging possession and shots on goal without really stretching their keeper. A minute before half-time, Newcastle's £32m-rated centre-half popped up at a set-piece and headed them into a HT lead, which felt a little undeserved.

There was no further scoring in the next 45 minutes as we struggled to penetrate a defence that had kept out some of Europe's best attackers this season. Until injury time... with Newcastle seconds away from lifting another trophy... my substitute left winger swung in a desperate cross too close to their goalkeeper... and he fumbled it into his own net! Unbelievable, Jeff :D

The first event of ET was for one of Newcastle's subs to be carried off injured, and they'd already used all three. We played all of ET 11-vs-10, using the width of the pitch to make the most of the numerical advantage, and eventually stretched Newcastle into conceding not one penalty... but two. Both were dispatched by my captain, an academy product and boyhood West Ham fan, who lifted the famous trophy after a 3-1 win, the club's first since 1980 (44 years).

An own goal, an injury and two rash penalties, one of which was apparently dubious. I think the Gods were definitely on our side.

Newcastle went on to beat Valencia in the Champions League final, also in ET. My old club Rotherham survived in 17th position, so there will be a reunion in the Premiership this season...

The scene: Second-placed Furth (me) play third-placed Duisburg.

The report: Duisberg struggle against high lines and slow tempo. Perfect for my 4-1-2-1-2.

Half-Time? 0-3 to Duisberg. A flea in the ear and a formation change later, I send them back out

Full-Time? 4-3 to Furth. Goals in the 66th, 72nd, 91st and 94th mins see us snatch the win.

FM2010. Bloody hell!!

• 2 weeks later...

After Acidburn said that he had never seen me managing a big team in the top flight, I decided to have a quick and fun save managing Liverpool in the Premier League. My primary objective was to end the 20 year wait for the title. As you guys know, I am usually a lower league player who always starts at the bottom, so my trophy cabinet is missing many of the top trophies and so I also wanted to have a go at winning the Champions League eventually.

Anyway, as this is just a fun game on the side of my other saves, I'm not doing a proper career thread or anything like that. It's just for fun but I can just tell you guys a little about it in this thread instead.

The first bit of this is copied from a post I made over in the FM Career Forum Discussion thread.

After Acidburn said that he'd never seen me managing a top flight side, I thought I would have a bit of a fun save managing Liverpool. I fancied taking over from Rafa.

I created my new alter-ego manager, Roy Crouchson, a former Non-League player (for St. Albans City ;)) turned manager.

Roy-Hodgson-002.jpg

First season, I kept the first-team squad much as it was, except for signing Yoann Gourcuff as my Xabi Alonso replacement to be my midfield playmaker. I also brought Danny Murphy back to Anfield as a squad player. Played a 4-4-1-1 formation similar to that I've been using with the Saints in my main save. My best team was basically:

Reina

Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio

Maxi, Mascherano, Gourcuff, Riera

Gerrard

Torres

We exited early from the League Cup but come April we were still battling on three fronts. We lost an FA Cup Semi-final to Arsenal. Then, at the beginning of May, Everton ended our hopes of winning the title by beating us 2-0 at Goodison. However, I managed to win Liverpool a sixth European Cup, beating AC Milan, Chelsea, Inter and Bayern in the knock-out rounds to claim the trophy. An FM first for me.

So runners-up in the League, FA Cup semi-finalists and, best of all, European Champions in the my first season in charge. The biggest pain I have found managing Liverpool is that the squad doesn't have enough depth. Also Fernando Torres seems to get injured every other week. So my priority in terms of signings was to increase the depth after season 1.

You wondered about the sort of players I would sign? Well, during the summer I was given good money to spend and I decided that my buying policy would be to prioritise young British talent. I sold Albert Riera and Ryan Babel for a fair wedge. Then, I went on to spend a lot of money signing the following: Aaron Lennon, Tom Huddlestone, Danny Wilson, Jordan Spence, Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere and Jonjo Shelvey. Milan Jovanovic came in on a free (not my signing) and I also signed Tomas Rosicky as he was going cheap.

So, second season, I was going out to defend the European Champions League and to try to end the 21 year wait for the title.

Disaster struck pretty early on as I lost Gerrard for about 5 months. I ended up playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, as follows:

Reina

Johnson, Carragher, Wilson, Bale

Mascherano, Huddlestone

Lennon, Gourcuff, Maxi

Torres

We got to the League Cup final but lost to Arsenal. Got to the sixth round of the FA Cup but lost away to Chelsea after extra-time. This all happened in one devastating week at the end of Feb.

We also mucked up in European Super Cup and World Club Cup losing all of our games in both! The squad wasn't really strong enough to challenge on all fronts, so I basically made the Premier League my priority while somehow making steady progress in the European Cup.

In the Champions League we beat Roma, Barcelona and Real Madrid in the knock-out rounds to find ourselves back in the final again, this time to play Juventus.

In the League, we were quite far ahead at one point but managed to drop some silly points to let Spurs back in. It went to the last day of the season, with Spurs needing us to lose and to win at least 6-0 against Portsmouth away. Unbelievably, we did lose, 3-2 away at Bolton, which was a disgrace of a performance, and meanwhile Spurs won their game 5-0. We ended up winning the league with a goal difference of 1 goal separating the teams! :eek: A bit of an anti-climax, to be honest!

In the Champions League final, we managed to beat Juventus 1-0 to win back-to-back European titles.

This was the team at the end of the season, when Gerrard was back (a 4-5-1/4-3-3 style formation - i.e. DM, MC, MC & AMR, AML, ST):

Reina

Johnson, Carragher, Wilson, Bale

Gerrard, Mascherano, Gourcuff

Lennon, Torres, Maxi

I'll be putting the save to one side now but will come back because I need to win the title much better than I did this time. The team needs a backup right-back, Carragher replacement, a new left-winger and a proper back-up for Torres. So lots of improvement.

Two seasons in and I've already won as many European Cups as Fergie! :p

Having decided to start a career game I added myself as an unemployed manager and applied for every job that came up. Eventually I got the job as manager of Eastleigh around xmas time. I figured I would jump up the leagues from club to club but it didn't turn out that way as I found myself really enjoying the club and I became attached to some of my signings.

In the summer of 2018 I achieved my best moment on FM10 by gaining promotion to the premier league. Until this point I had only ever been given 400k to spend so I was rather excited when they handed me a 13 million pound transfer kitty and had every faith that I would keep them up........

In June the club was sold to a bunch of supporters. They sacked me on July 8th 2018 after leading them up the leagues and gaining an 'untouchable' status as their manager.

Worst moment in the whole time I've played the FM/CM series, I'm gutted. Not sure what I'll do now! :(

What made it even worse was that the week before they sacked me the new board told me they had decided to keep me on and offered me a contract paying me 4 times my previous salary. I accepted the contract and they said they were delighted!!!

At least my loyal members of staff stuck with me, 10 of the coaches left the club when they got rid of me.

Argh, just had an unbelieveable game last night. Still recovering. Thought I'd share.

Network game with two pals, January 2012, me playing a club and Ivory Coast where I reached the ANC final where I faced Cameroon.

My line-up:

Loboué, Eboué, Tourè, Gohouri, Boka - Y. Touré, Tiotè, Romaric - S. Kalou, Drogba, Lamah (4-3-3 with a DMC and 3 central strikers as Ivory Coast lack wide midfielders)

Game went underway pretty okay. I was the better team and we had a few chances but missed. Shortly after half-time however, Camerron came through with a nice Etoo dribbling who then passed to Meyong who slotted it in easily. From then on it was a struggle, nothing happened really and I already saw myself missing out on this big opportunity to win something fairly big (which would also have helped my aspirations to get a better club job).

I first replaced Tiotè who had a crap game with Faé, also Lamah with Baky Koné for the same reason a bit later but to no avail. After 75 minutes I went harakiri and subbed Doumbia in for Boka. Placing Doumbia as a SC while withdrawing Kalou to an attacking AMC and pulling Romaric out left to be a defensive winger as in the back there was no more DL. At first nothing happened really, but after 87 minutes I finally had a chance which was not all that good, but still converted by Doumbia to score the late equalizer.

After that my hopes were obviously up again, but there wasn't anything I could do in terms of a more defensive shape given the players left on the pitch. All I could do was to withdraw Faé to provide a DMC pairing with Y. Touré. But from then on we pushed for the winner and in the 90th minute a great pass came to Drogba who I thought was offside, but the ref made no call and Drogba converted to an unbelieveable late winner. Or so I thought. Cameroon didn't give up and a 20 yard screamer from Etoo was saved in style by Loboué. In the second minute of injury time the incredible happened. I've never seen any such goal on FM and even less so in the injury time of an international final. Bikey was on the right wing for Cameroon, just across the middle line, was tackled by Romaric and the ball was loose, approaching the side line about 15 yards in my half. Bikey came to it first and hit a first time cross ... directly into the top corner of my net. God I was gutted...

Injury time began with Baky Koné scoring what turned out to be the winner after just 30 seconds. After that we managed to keep them away quite well and the rest wasn't as heart-breaking as the last minutes of regular time.

In the end I got the title, my reputation went up to world-class and I resigned from the job as initially planned.

Still, I couldn't find any sleep after this match and kept turning around till 2am. Now I'm in the office and I'm not in good shape ;)

Currently playing as Woking and took them from BSS to League One in 5 seasons. We managed to stay in League One in our first season but it went down to the wire on the last day in our second.

I managed to turn around some awful form which saw us 6 points a drift. We turned it around and only lost one game in the last 6 but every time we picked up points, so did Hartlepool (except for one match). We played them away and only got a draw, we really need a win to survive but there was still a slight chance on the last day. Lost 2-0 after a terrible performance, gutted doesn't being to describe my feelings.

The following season we only managed to finish 5th to get into the play-offs and also beat Aldershot to reach the final again. In the final we faced MK Dons and we scored within the first ten minutes. Things were going well until one of my players got a red card. We hung on until the 90th minute when they scored to equalise. Then they scored again in the 93rd minute. I really could have screamed!

Didn't know you were doing a proper Non-League to Premier League save. Nice one! :thup:

I'm planning on being more active in here soon so you'll be able to keep up :)

Could have picked a better team though (St. Albans City springs to mind!)

I started unemployed and Woking were the first to offer me the job. I thought of you when I did the double over St. Albans while romping home to the title :D

2009/10 - Dortmund - German Bundesliga

Transfer Budget: Zero

Wage Budget: 458k p/w

Finances: 12m

Predicted: 8th

I took over with a pretty decent squad with players like Subotic, Hummels, Kehl, Sahin, Lewandowski and Barrios. With no money to spend I had to keep what I had and build them into a good formation. Predicted just 8th in the Bundesliga, I knew that was pretty much achievable. We were also in the Europa League.

We started the season in mixed form but we knew where the net was, Barrios leading the line perfectly. In our first 8 games we scored 25 goals but did concede a few too many. In the 5th game of the season we lost to Bayern 2-0 yet beat them in the next game 4-2 to advance in the DFB-Pokal Cup. Europe was going well beating AA Gent to advance to the group stage, we beat Trabzonspor and Getafe but drew with Liverpool, in the reverse fixtures we lost to Liverpool at Anfield, thrashed Tranzonspor at home but suffered a 4-2 defeat to Getafe to finish a disappointing 3rd in the group. The league was still hit and miss too, three games in a row we took a lead into half time yet managed to draw all three games, 3-3, 2-2 and 3-3 again. We were defeated by Nurnberg 4-3 in the cup but beat them in the league. Going into December we lost to Hannover but formed picked up with wins over Frankfurt and Freiburg to remain 8th in the league at the winter break.

Stats in all competitions.

Top Scorer: Barrios (25 goals in 23 games)

Most Assists: Nuri Sahin (21 in 26 games)

Most MOMs: Barrios (6)

Ave Rating: Barrios (7.71)

With good finances, boosted to 26m the club gave me a 4.5m gift to spend on strengthening the squad. I arranged the signing of Mats Rits from Germinal Beerschot for 850k and also signed Vincent Enyeama who arrived on 1st January for 750k. Leo joined a week later on loan from Palmeiras for a 650k loan fee and the last signing before the second half of the season was Manual da Costa from West Ham for 1.1m to cover both CB and LB.

I'm still looking for a RB and another RM preferably on loan with just 2.5m left to spend.

Archived