Man U ruined!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not denying that Liverpool spend money. It's just that the poster I quoted implied that they have spent a fortune while United are relying on youth players. Which obviously they are not.

Actually, what i meant about Man Utd was reffering way back to when Fergie took over and they were a nothing team really, and the way he has built them up in stature etc etc. They have also had some cracking youngsters, a lot of which formed the spine of the team in one of their most succesful era's. Giggs, Scholes, Butt, Beckham, the Nevilles all came through the ranks and ended up winning a shed load of international caps between them.

i ran my game on holiday until year 2018 i think, and Man U have stayed the most consistant team in England, the top 6 clubs are still top dogs, Man U have even kept all the stars, Ferdinand is in his last season about to retire,

I'm not denying that Liverpool spend money. It's just that the poster I quoted implied that they have spent a fortune while United are relying on youth players. Which obviously they are not.

Hey, I posted a better list furthur up :p

It really annoys me when United fans try and say other teams are trying to buy the league like its a bad thing, the only difference between United and other clubs is that United have brought to keep the league, and its a small difference.

This is coming from a now League One team supporter, so no bias from me. :)

the game is unrealistic in terms of Man united being so poor

They actually had the core of a very decent team in place and since I took them over I found the main issue seemed to be that due to them having gone into administration they had to get rid of a few key players and a lot of their back room staff. Since I replaced the sold players and beefed up the staff we have gone from narrowly avoiding relegation to title challengers in the space of only one transfer window. Here's a screenie of how we're doing in the league halfway through my first full season in charge.

EnglishPremierDivision-5.png

united are still in the top-4 in my 8th season with Real Madrid. They've had some awesome regens coming up consistently. Also, the financial thingy hasn't really effected them yet. Has this got anything to do with the 120M Euros I paid them for Ronaldo ?

All the money on transfers! 17 million on Glen Johnson!

Haha. Good one. Liverpool were judged as buying success in th 80's. They signed Ian Rush for 300k while Forest bought a player for a million pounds. The first time we broke the transfer record was when we signed Dean Saunders for £2.9m in 1990 iirc.

thanks djwilko6, at least im not the only one who recognises talent. The money spending is insane on uniteds side because anything they spend they lump onto their debt, liverpool cant because of a inept chairman.

On topic, it seems that debt kills in fm09. United have huge debt and struggle to make money if they dont win anything under ai management which never happens, they title challenge and thats it. If you or i took control we could balance the books through careful wage reduction and smart transfers. The debt seems to stop their transfers and the same squad is usually still their 5-10 years later becuase debt restricts spending. They dont have enough money to service the squad

thanks djwilko6, at least im not the only one who recognises talent. The money spending is insane on uniteds side because anything they spend they lump onto their debt, liverpool cant because of a inept chairman.

On topic, it seems that debt kills in fm09. United have huge debt and struggle to make money if they dont win anything under ai management which never happens, they title challenge and thats it. If you or i took control we could balance the books through careful wage reduction and smart transfers. The debt seems to stop their transfers and the same squad is usually still their 5-10 years later becuase debt restricts spending. They dont have enough money to service the squad

But wouldnt this happen IRL surely? If any of the top 4 failed to make the Champions league in a season i think they would struggle TBH. Chelsea may just scrape it if Roman bangs a few quid in, but going the other way, he may lose interest and decide enough is enough.

@ baker.simon

thats right, arsenal already had a small trasfer budjet this year, what are the odds that if they missed out on champions league they would have to sell players to make up the difference. Of the big four only chelsea would be uneffected if this happens because of their 'sugar daddy'. Watch this season my money is on arsenal being replaced by man city, city finally got their transfer targets right (somewhat) and arsenal are yet to replace adebayor along with the other holes in their squad. With the debt hanging over their heads, albeit managable if they secure champions league every year, arsenals would become a 'selling club' until they resume champions league the next season

Yeah, this happened on my game too, with liverpool, after the halcyon days of alonso, gerrard, reina, ahem....lucas, they spiralled, spending daft money on dodgy replacements, got into huge debt, starting selling off better players, and eventually relegated in season 2013/14. Still in the championship now in season 2018/19.

Why cant real life mirror FM?????:D

I see no problem! Close to what really could happen in reality, when/if Fergy leaves them and they win less major trophies (CL+PL) then what they do at the moment. Remember... Man U are carrying a huge huuuuuuuge debt. I think it's around 700m british pound.

As soon as I read your post I knew you would be a Red Scum fan. So deluded....

Ferguson makes money off transfers consistantly (go check his record out, even including Veron), Liverpool never recoup fees paid. In that sense Liverpool 'overspend' and yet fail to leapfrog Manu. To show Im not bias my team Tottenham outspends our bitter rivals Arsenal (in terms of transfer fees, in the sense of wages Arsenal outspend us by more than 2:1) conisistanly and yet as you all know we are not at a level to compete with them for league position (careful use of words there we ARE their equals in any given game against them now, watch one some time).

Dude this happens to all the teams that pay overinflated salaries. In Ukrainian league Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev crumble after 5-7 years as all the keys players retire or get sold and all the mediocre ones get ridiculous salaries. PLus the more money hte club has hte more it will pay for a player they want. This ends in horrible deals for the AI managers. I just took over Shakhtar and managed to cut their payroll in HALF! Bought some youth and my finances are looking healthy again.

Of course not, but you've said United have spent more on transfers.

The truth is with all the undisclosed fees the two clubs are roughly close even excluding the Ronaldo transfer.

Rafa has simply spent all his cash over several more players (actually, a lot more).

Our last batch wasn't too good but Fletcher has at least come out of it. But youth has always been a part of the club under Ferguson. The likes of the Djemba-twins simply forced our hand into the market because we were churning out Liam Millers and starting them against Chelsea.

It always amuses me when people talk about a game and it fast becomes arguments about real life football. All the top teams spend a lot of money. One of the reasons why they are the top teams.

• 1 month later...

Wow... Why am i not suprised the OP has not said a word after he was "figured out" hehe. I see no point in cheating in game as it just makes the experience pointless and doesnt give that "feeling" when you win the league or anything like that. Just trying to steer this topic back onto the road guys.

Wow... Why am i not suprised the OP has not said a word after he was "figured out" hehe. I see no point in cheating in game as it just makes the experience pointless and doesnt give that "feeling" when you win the league or anything like that. Just trying to steer this topic back onto the road guys.

Yes, it seems a certain manager called 'Untitled User' has been very busy with a number of clubs. In fact, some clubs even appointed him a number of times, yet he always resigned just days after his appointment.

Coincidentally, just giving him enough time to sell the best players to Chelsea/buy crap players off them for a lot of money.

Now that Ferguson has gone Man U are ruined as a club.

Sold ALL key players and lost all finances. They have even gone into administration!

manupoint.th.jpg

manusquad.th.jpg

Has this happened with anyone else? I think they might actually get relegated

Take a look at this blog post from ESPN. Seems like FM09 could be quite the fortune teller.

http://blogs.soccernet.com/ontheroad/archives/2009/09/a_point_of_interest_and_princi.php

Heard a lot about United going into administration and even being relegated in the last few versions of FM but have still never lived to see this on one of my saves I think. I'm in 2019/20 season and they are still very much a top 5 team, since there are a few rich clubs in my save they have started to struggle to be consistant in the top4 with teams like Tottenham and Birmingham challenging them.

I did however see Liverpool going into administration and being docked 9p a few seasons ago. They did still manage a spot in Europe and their economy was fine the season after. Still no of the real life top sides have really fallen out of the top 5 (I'm including City as they are a top 2 side after a few seasons in on 09) except for Liverpool who usually end up between 7-10 in the last few seasons, I suppose they don't have the funds to strenghten their team.

However thinking closly about it, I could swear that Liverpool AND United were close to relegation a few times on FM08, but they were never in administration or ever got relegated as they always did so great whenever they hired a new manager. I suppose it's the popular "new manager effect". ;)

Archived