FM09 Preview-code

A Dutch gaming website obtained a preview code of FM09 and discusses the game on its website here: http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/footballmanager2009/impressies/22665

For those people not able to read Dutch (shame on you!), I'll post the major conclusions from the story below.

- the preview code was still very buggy

- the match engine seems to suffer from the 3D representation: players seem to mostly go for the easy option when attacking and defenders make a lot of mistakes

- the assistent manager gives tips during the match, but seems to give the same advice, regardless of actual tactics

- although press conferences add to the realism, they do become boring after some time and some questions are asked twice at the same conference

- the previewer experienced a lot of loading screens

- transfer fees were mostly incorrect

- players got constantly injured for at least 2 months

So it seems SI have a lot of work to do yet. Maybe Miles should skip the blogs altogether and go work on the actual game ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the look of the picture it's the code from a couple of months ago when the game was first announced...so preview is actually pointless.

Although you could very well be right about that, I suspect SI only allow a number of screenshots to be published. Hence the pictures we already know.

Hmm yeah, "Gespeeld | 18 oktober 2008 -"

That was 2 days ago

The preview code will be from many months ago, so the date of the article is irrelevant.

I think most of those issues will be resolved by the time of release (such as repeated quations in the press conferences).

here's a translated version,if anyone does want to read it

my take is that,this was the code of some months back,ie the first step towards FM09,so,improvements would have surely been made

http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.insidegamer.nl%2Fpc%2Ffootballmanager2009%2Fimpressies%2F22665&lp=nl_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

From his comments it seems this version is so dated and buggy that the whole preview doesn't even matter. There were often 2 balls on the pitch and he couldn't even load a saved game. That doesn't sound like it would be anywhere near the final code. I wonder though, why would SI hand out such a horrible version to the gaming press, surely they must know that could only harm the anticipation of FM09? Or it must be a leaked version, in which case this whole preview is illegal. It would be nice if someone from SI could comment on this.

here's a translated version,if anyone does want to read it

my take is that,this was the code of some months back,ie the first step towards FM09,so,improvements would have surely been made

http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.insidegamer.nl%2Fpc%2Ffootballmanager2009%2Fimpressies%2F22665&lp=nl_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

I wouldnt call that english exactly, but good try all the same.

• SI Staff
A Dutch gaming website obtained a preview code of FM09 and discusses the game on its website here: http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/footballmanager2009/impressies/22665

For those people not able to read Dutch (shame on you!), I'll post the major conclusions from the story below.

- the preview code was still very buggy

- the match engine seems to suffer from the 3D representation: players seem to mostly go for the easy option when attacking and defenders make a lot of mistakes

- the assistent manager gives tips during the match, but seems to give the same advice, regardless of actual tactics

- although press conferences add to the realism, they do become boring after some time and some questions are asked twice at the same conference

- the previewer experienced a lot of loading screens

- transfer fees were mostly incorrect

- players got constantly injured for at least 2 months

So it seems SI have a lot of work to do yet. Maybe Miles should skip the blogs altogether and go work on the actual game ;)

To answer each of these points individually...

The preview code was from roughly 5 weeks ago. The latter stage of development is all about fixing bugs, so that will always be the main change from preview to review. In a preview, things like that shouldn't be mentioned (in my opinion) because if the reader is unaware of the dev process, it's sensationalitic. If the journalists thinks the same when he has review code (which will be the same code as goes in the box - we don't let anyone do previews with non-gold code) then he should be talking about it then, with online reviews hitting before the game is out.

The match engine itself has not changed because of 3d. It's the same match engine, just visible in 3d.

The assistant manager gives feedback to you - it's up to you what you do with it. He's not going to give you all the answers, otherwise you may as well let him play the matches for you.

The only time questions are asked more than once in a press conference is if you have given an answer the journalist isn't happy with, or if you have been contradictory. The question is changed to reflect this. I have no reports of multiple press conference questions outside these parameters from QA, or any offsite testers.

The only loading screens are at the start of the game, and when the 3d match view is loading up. So you'll see these every match. As was the case with 2d previously - the graphics have to draw somehow!

The data in that build is old. And I don't know if he's talking about transfer fees, or the fees clubs have to pay, which are, of course, different things. Or which clubs fees were from and to, or which league. I haven't seen any issues personally in this area for a while now.

The injury module has hardly changed since FM2008. Sounds like he got unlucky, or was overplaying his players/training them too hard or something.

Still, everyone is welcome to their own opinion - the best way, as always, to tell whether you think the game is good enough for you to part with your hard earnerd cash is to play the demo when it comes out, which will, as always, be well before the release of the game.

I really wonder why SI handed such version for preview since it sounds very far away from being finished. Also we heard from SI people here that the ME actually has not changed at all because of 3D rendering because logic and drawing parts of the ME are independent. It was more FML which affected ME instead of 3D. It shows the editor did not really contact anyone from SI otherwise he would know it. This makes me wonder did the preview site receive a permission from SI at all.

But well, it is time for anyone to release sneak previews about the game since SI did not release demo yet and many look for any information or screen desperately. I'm sure that Dutch site is happy since they got many clicks for that article already regardless to what they really know about the game

The whole Polish preview looks very nice (I can't read Polish but here's the link to the full review for those interested: http://www.cmrev.com/artykuly/czytaj/Football-Manager-2009-_-beta-test.html). There's about 10 new screenshots there, in Polish, obviously.

Here's a translated version of that page, it's pretty rubbish though :D

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cmrev.com%2Fartykuly%2Fczytaj%2FFootball-Manager-2009-_-beta-test.html&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=pl&tl=en

Thanks for clearing up some of those points, Miles.

It's not that I don't have faith in you, but as these previews are the only (independent) source of information on FM09 we have, I just thought I'd post it here.

ETA: The match engine looks a lot better in de Polish SS.

The pictures from that Polish site which show a better pitch texture and the advertisements around the pitch definitely look better than the official screenshots released last month

The skin is looking a bit nicer as well, although nothing major has changed on it the little touches are good

Rather then focus on the negatives of preview code, why has no one mentioned the new information that's seeped out about FM09 from the previews?

- When starting a game you can add favorite personel.

- You get an overall look at the club in the news, stating it's history and such, when you start.

- Arrows now only go forward or backwards.

- The tactics page is 'quite identical' and still has sliders :(

- It's easier to re-train players to play other positions.

- The Polish site claims they could tell no difference in the transfer market. Comp still buys players for twice their value from other comp teams, while it's a miracle to sell your own AND you could still use exploits.

- Polish site says there are no bugs in the match engine from their playing.

- Reports REALLY change depending on youtr assistant, which means you could have the wrong man for your team or style of play. This is a huge leap forward, I'm delighted to hear the staff actually have an active role in the game now. I look forward to dragging my coaching staff from country to club with me :)

The only thing that worries me is that we may get bogged down with even more repetative 'tasks' in FM09. FM08 was a step down from FM07 in many ways and one of the big ones for me was that a season no longer took a couple of hours, but a couple of days and the vast difference was the game stopping four times a (computer time) day to let you know someone was interested in one of your players or some other little finicky detail that you always had the same response for anyway.

Those screenshots on the polish site do look good, although i fear the translations are not quite accurate lol my favourite lines are below two screenshots one says "Cucumber season in full, or fences, gossip and Gossip" and "Reach, do not reach - criminal in 3D to experience even greater than previously", at least i hope the translations aren't right....

- The Polish site claims they could tell no difference in the transfer market. Comp still buys players for twice their value from other comp teams, while it's a miracle to sell your own AND you could still use exploits.

Not true. It says that market is really lively and it's not a problem to sell a player. What is more you can't use exploits.

The rest of you summary is ok :)

My favourite translation error from that

I am rather skeptical if Football Manager was the game they were reviewing;)

Why, what else could it be? ;):D

Anyway, I don't fully trust previews or reviews. I prefer to make up my own mind by trying it myself.

Archived