Captain Dejan Stanković

Most caps Savo Milošević (102)

Top scorer Savo Milošević (37)

Home stadium Stadion Crvena Zvezda, Belgrade

FIFA code SRB

FIFA ranking 15

Serbia's Road to the Final

serbiagroup.jpg

Serbia finished first in its first ever qualifying campaign as an independent nation, winning their group ahead of favourites France. They sealed their place 2010 World Cup spot in South Africa with a 5 – 0 win against Romania on 11 October 2009. Serbia were the surprise winners of the group, as many people expected France to walk the group. Serbia drew with France 1-1 at home, both sides had a player sent off, including the French keeper, Hugo Lloris. However they lost 2-1 away.

They have been drawn in Group D, along with Germany, Ghana and Australia. A tough group to get out of, but Serbia will have to battle hard with Ghana and Australia to get the second qualifying spot, assuming Germany take the first spot of course.

serbiagroupwc.jpg

Latest squad. (Will be replaced by the World Cup Squad once announced)

Goalkeepers

1 Vladimir Stojković 30 0
12 Željko Brkić 2 0

Defenders

2 Antonio Rukavina 19 0
3 Ivica Dragutinović 49 0
5 Nemanja Vidić 44 2
6 Branislav Ivanović 29 4
13 Aleksandar Luković 19 0
20 Neven Subotić 10 1
23 Aleksandar Kolarov 10 0

Midfielders

4 Gojko Kačar 15 0
7 Boško Janković 25 5
10 Dejan Stanković 86 13
11 Nenad Milijaš 15 3
14 Milan Jovanović 24 9
16 Radosav Petrović 7 0
17 Miloš Krasić 29 2
18 Miloš Ninković 7 0
21 Zoran Tošić 19 4
22 Zdravko Kuzmanović 25 4

Strikers

8 Danko Lazović 34 10
9 Marko Pantelić 29 5
15 Dejan Lekić 3 0
19 Nikola Žigić 42 16

(Coding hasn't worked as planned, I did it on notepad, but it has still come out a bit wonky. But it's clear enough to work out)

Last full strength team

Stojković
Luković Vidić Ivanović Kolarov
Krasic Millijas Stanković Jovanović
Zigić Pantelić

(Ignoring games V Japan and Lithunia where weakened teams were fielded)

So there it is, the Serbia thread. I will be supporting Serbia (along with England), as I've enjoyed the games I've seen of them. They have two players from Manchester United in Vidić and Tosić (Team I support). However they have players like Krasic, who has impressed in CSKA's Champions League campaign, Jovanović, who has agreed to sign for Liverpool, and Millijas, who I'm sure Wolves fans will be interested to see how he fairs. Same can be said for Ivanović and Chelsea fans.

Will be supporting Serbia (as i'm Serbian) and hope that Zigic doesn't start - Pantelic and Lazovic up front or Lazovic and Jovanovic

How does Krasić perform for the national team?

Quite an insane squad you have though, really is a tough group you're in.

How does Krasić perform for the national team?

Quite an insane squad you have though, really is a tough group you're in.

He played pretty well in the qualifiers scoring twice and bagging a few assists, I hope he can transpire his good form at CSKA to the WC. Mind you, Jovanovic was easily our best player in the qualifiers from an attacking view.

As far as the group goes, it is tough but imo Germany vs Serbia will be the decider as to who comes 1st and 2nd

Yeah really tough group, I'd say their squad is stronger than both Ghana and Australia though. Got some quality players. Do you reckon Krasić will move in the summer? He's had a great season really, he's 25, so it must be the time to move to a bigger club, or is he happy at CSKA?

He played pretty well in the qualifiers scoring twice and bagging a few assists, I hope he can transpire his good form at CSKA to the WC. Mind you, Jovanovic was easily our best player in the qualifiers from an attacking view.

As far as the group goes, it is tough but imo Germany vs Serbia will be the decider as to who comes 1st and 2nd

Cheers, have only recently noticed that he is quite a good player. You could do with a player like Vučinić for striker position imo (don't know if he was eligible when there was the split though).

I reckon you will win the group, with Germany second. Germany possibly going further in the knockouts.

Yeah really tough group, I'd say their squad is stronger than both Ghana and Australia though. Got some quality players. Do you reckon Krasić will move in the summer? He's had a great season really, he's 25, so it must be the time to move to a bigger club, or is he happy at CSKA?

Has said that he likes Milan a few times I think.

It's hard too say if Krasic will go because he is doing well at CSKA and is happy at the club but I assume if he has a good WC he will gain more interest, he'll probably go to a top side in a division (eg Spain, England, Italy) that are competing in Europe. The only difficulty that I see with a possible transfer is that the Russian season is between April-October so I doubt CSKA will want him to leave mid season unless it is a big offer

Cheers, have only recently noticed that he is quite a good player. You could do with a player like Vučinić for striker position imo (don't know if he was eligible when there was the split though).

I reckon you will win the group, with Germany second. Germany possibly going further in the knockouts.

Has said that he likes Milan a few times I think.

Vučinić picked to play for Montenegro so he cant play sadly. I think that Krasic will probably go to Italy or England if he were to move as there are a lot of Serbian team mates that play in the two leagues

Maybe I'm being stupid, but surely the back four should be: Ivanovic, Vidic, Subotic, Kolarov? Seems silly to leave out Subotic when Ivanovic is awesome at right back too. I also thought that Kuzmanovic was better than Milijas who hasn't exactly been world class, albeit in a bottom half Prem team... Anyway, as someone has already said, it's a great squad and I look forward to Serbia toppling Germany like they did to France.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but surely the back four should be: Ivanovic, Vidic, Subotic, Kolarov? Seems silly to leave out Subotic when Ivanovic is awesome at right back too. I also thought that Kuzmanovic was better than Milijas who hasn't exactly been world class, albeit in a bottom half Prem team... Anyway, as someone has already said, it's a great squad and I look forward to Serbia toppling Germany like they did to France.

That should be the back 4 although Aleksandar Lukovic has been quality recently at LB so there is a difficult choice to be made there by Antic. Kuzmo is better than Milijas but just isnt getting the playing time at Stuttgart for some reason.

IMO (assuming Antic sticks to his 4-4-2):

GK: Stojkovic

RB: Ivanovic

CB: Vidic

CB: Subotic

LB: Lukovic (based on recent form)

RM: Krasic

CM: Stankovic

CM: Kuzmanovic/Kacar

LM: Jovanovic

CF: Pantelic

CF: Lazovic

The team in the OP is the team that played V Romania (5-0), I have not put the team against Japan and Lithuania in the OP as it was a weakened team that played. So the Romania team is the last 'full strength' team that played.

As for what I think the team should be, Crazy T's team is what I would go with.

Yep I think Crazy's team is the best from my limited knowledge, would Kuz and Stankovic be ok together as CMs? Or are they a bit lightweight defensively? And Jovanovic as a striker, is that an option? I thought that's what Liverpool have signed him for...

Yep I think Crazy's team is the best from my limited knowledge, would Kuz and Stankovic be ok together as CMs? Or are they a bit lightweight defensively? And Jovanovic as a striker, is that an option? I thought that's what Liverpool have signed him for...

I dont think we have a good enough back up winger (Tosic isnt near Jovanovic) and Jovanovic is naturally a winger and a striker so he could play in both positions. Considering the amount of strikers we have I think that he should start on the wing (unless injuries start to occur)

Deki is very solid defensively. Played more of an advanced role at Inter till Sneijder joined, but hes very versatile and solid. Underrated player.

I thought Jovanovic was a wing-forward rather than an out and out striker, but I could be wrong

Deki is very solid defensively. Played more of an advanced role at Inter till Sneijder joined, but hes very versatile and solid. Underrated player.

I thought Jovanovic was a wing-forward rather than an out and out striker, but I could be wrong

Yep, Milan is a wing forward and should play there at the WC provided there are no injuries to our strikers.

Deki has been really good in this more defensive role at Inter and I assume Antic has taken note as he can now rotate the roles that Kuzmo and Deki play in. Having said that I am assuming that Deki will start off with a more attacking role and Kuzmanovic will sit back and play the holding role

I dont think we have a good enough back up winger (Tosic isnt near Jovanovic) and Jovanovic is naturally a winger and a striker so he could play in both positions. Considering the amount of strikers we have I think that he should start on the wing (unless injuries start to occur)

Kolarov has played more advanced this season with Lazio, could be an option down the flank if you need Jovanovic up top

Just seen Dragutiovic has been ruled out of the World Cup, ruptured his achilles tendon, guessing he would have been first in line to deputise for a injury/suspension to one of the back 4?

Depending on the position. Rukavina is back up for Ivanovic, Lukovic will probably be 2nd LB behind Kolarov although Lukovic is naturally a CB so I assume Dragutinovic was the LB replacement

• 2 weeks later...
Miralem Sulejmani made the provisional list of 27, why, he barley played at Ajax has lost his great form he showed at sc Heerenveen for 2 years now.

Will hope he doesn't make the cut as it will allow the chance for people like Mrda and Matic to make the squad. I am surprised why he is in the squad because he hasnt played since our WCQ vs the Faroe Islands away. Like the look of our defence in the provisional squad - the addition of Rajkovic was a pleasant surprise

Fwiw, Serbia's provisional World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Vladimir Stojkovic (Wigan), Zeljko Brkic (Vojvodina Novi Sad), Bojan Isailovic (Cukaricki Belgrade), Andjelko Djuricic (Leiria).

Defenders: Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea), Antonio Rukavina(Munich 1860), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Neven Subotic (Borussia Dortmund), Aleksandar Lukovic (Udinese), Ivan Obradovic (Saragossa), Aleksandar Kolarov (Lazio).

Midfielders: Dejan Stankovic (Inter Milan), Nenad Milijas(Wolverhampton), Miloss Krasic (CSKA Moscow), Milan Jovanovic (Standard Liege), Milos Ninkovic (Dynamo Kiev), Zdravko Kuzmanovic (Stuttgart), Zoran Tosic (Cologne), Miralem Sulejmani (Ajax), Gojko Kacar (Hertha Berlin), Nemanja Matic (Chelsea), Radosav Petrovic (Partizan Belgrade).

Forwards: Nikola Zigic (Valencia), Marko Pantelic (Ajax), Danko Lazovic (Zenit), Dragan Mrdja (Vojvodina), Dejan Lekic (Red Star Belgrade).

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys, I think Serbia could have a mean defence at the World Cup

they maybe have good defensive line, but I am convinced that Balkan mentality will come up after first fail (possible against Ghana) and there will be massive system breakdown

so White Eagles will left RSA after first round :thup:

So, as a Birmingham fan, should I be pessimistic?

No. At club level he is fine and performs well. It is just for the national team that I feel he could do better, fulfill his ability and score more goals for the national side. Also, when he plays it encourages the long ball to him which I am not a fan of considering we play 4-4-2 and have good, pacey wingers. That is all, I am sure that he will do well for Birmingham.

Archived