Too Many Signings ?

As we've seen with spurs this season sometimes signing too many players can have a negative affect on the team. I've actually experienced something similar on some fm saves I've signed many players in the summer but I've regressed the following season so I was wonder whats the optimal amount of signings to make each summer. I'm guessing its around 1-4

Thanks

As few as possible, I think - especially if they're for the first team. Just address the main issues and deal with the rest.. I'm currently doing a Man U save where I intend on buying nobody over the age of 16 - and so far, I'm unbeaten in 12 games and sitting top of the table. Whether I can keep that up in seasons 3 or 4, I don't know - but I suppose I'll discover that in due course.

I did this the first time I went to the Premier league in my current save, I did 13 signings or something crazy. To be fair, at least half of those worked out eventually (most prominantly two wingers that were my top goal scorers and a fantastic Iranian GK). Except my top signing was a Serbian striker for 7 million dollars and he was terrible. He literally scored 3 goals in 20 games.

If I sell a 1st team player I will replace him with someone who can step in the first team, and be the 'replacement'. If I've not got any decent youth players, and look to buy some then I'll go for the same nation as my club. If I get information from a scout regarding a really good youngster that's from another country and he looks really good then I'll go for it. Ultimately you should look to youth though.

I usually don't mind having a clear out when I 1st take over, I think it's expected at a new club but try to limit my signings thereafter, maybe 3-4 to strengthen in certain areas.

• 1 month later...
I just started a season with 10+ signings (after promotion), and after 10 matches I have one point. Needless to say, signing new players is heavily penalized by the game.

If they are all first team players then of course it will have a negative effect as it will take them time to gel.

It also depends on the type of players you bring in. Just bringing in players who are used to very different playing styles is a much bigger deal than players who have played in a similar system. You can see this in some of the analysis where it says things like "player x is not used to playing at such a high tempo" or equivalent.

Just randomly signing a lot of players and trying to play as a team will struggle, buying a lot of players who suit the system and are used to similar will generally not struggle.

Isn't this represented in the tactical fluency? I must admit I never really worry about whether players are used to my tactics if they're good enough they'll pick it up but I do usually suffer a drop in my tactical fluency over the summer. Last closed season I was quite impressed I barely lost any fluency and was back up to full by season start despite signing 5 and promoting 3 U21's to my first team squad. More luck than judgement though I think..

Generic answer: it depends.

It depends entirely on where you really need strengthening. I took over a League 2/1 yo-yo club in League 2. Signed a few players for depth and nearly got promoted, but choked and only made the playoffs in 4th rather than automatic promotion (by one goal). By the next season I had sold most of the team as they simply weren't good enough to stay in League 1 (I was still in League 2 but you need to build a League 1 side to compete there, right?). We won the title that season.

3 seasons laters we're pretty much safe in the Championship and even chasing promotion to the Premier League. Several of my players are still around from League 1 and even League 2, but that's simply because they were good enough (or young enough so could get better as the years go by). I needed goalkeepers, I bought goalkeepers. If I kept my old goalkeepers we'd be leaking goals. If I hadn't sold my strikers, I wouldn't have the money to buy a better one, and we'd both be leaking goals and not scoring many.

Let's say you have just got promoted to the championship and you're going from players with say 80 CA to players with 110. You're going to notice a big improvement no matter how many players you bring in. Basically the quality has to be enough of a leap for it to be worthwhile. If you're just selling your players and replacing them with cheaper players just as good you might suffer from too many changes, but if there is genuine improvement in the playing staff, I would always go for it, even if it means short term suffering.

I agree with the depends thing, got a save with United at the minute and after the first transfer window I let a good 5/6 players go. Summer 2014 I similarly let about 5/6 go and bought in 5/6 more to replace the 10 that have gone. Have seen very little change in my performance, and am also playing a different tactic.

Isn't this merely a moral tool? Wouldn't tactics be better?

No, team cohesion helps the team to gel. If you go to your staff screen, click on the assistant manager, and look at team talk feedback, it tells you what your team cohesion is like, so you'll know once it's reached a good enough level to switch to other training.

No, team cohesion helps the team to gel. If you go to your staff screen, click on the assistant manager, and look at team talk feedback, it tells you what your team cohesion is like, so you'll know once it's reached a good enough level to switch to other training.

Ok, so what would be the difference between cohesion and tactics?

Archived