FMC2014 Official Feedback Thread

• Administrators

Football Manager 2014 is live!

Please use this thread for feedback on FMC2014 and let us know what you think :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone is over on the main feedback thread! It's all install issues at the mo. Carnage....

All looks good I must say. No issues updating from the beta to the full game.

The only thing to me is the €6 charge for 50m! It's the only thing I don't like about FMC cos the actual game is fantastic for someone like me who was a jaded player with kids and not enough time. It's almost enough to make me go back to the main game but that in turn might make me stop playing!

Knowing me though I'll probably convince myself after a season or so if I don't get enough funds to buy it anyway...lol

Anyway ...I'm rambling now.

Love FMC...great work guys!

Agreed, FMC is a great game, with me being married and having a 15 month baby boy creating chaos, FMC is the perfect "release" from the real world!

It'll be topped off nicely when FMC is released for Vita, cross platform cloud saves, yes please!

Great work SI!

i've unlockable new stadia but after i save my current game there no news about building a new stadium begin build at coventry city when i go back to downloads and see that new stadia still has the apply to game on so i click it again and same thing happens. Also leadboard points are frozen for me, i also notice that magic sponge and morale boost doesnt say it's a single uses purchase i thought it was like once unlock it stay unlock.

Agreed, FMC is a great game, with me being married and having a 15 month baby boy creating chaos, FMC is the perfect "release" from the real world!

It'll be topped off nicely when FMC is released for Vita, cross platform cloud saves, yes please!

Great work SI!

Couldn't agree more. I have a 16 month old and a 6 year old. Playing Classic is fantastic, it's got me back into the game. Luckily I also have a vita and FMC on pre order so it's gonna be great. My laptop is a bit crap so I can see myself playing on the Vita more.

Hopefully it will be as good as I want it to be.

Great Job SI. :)

Loving it. Clean UI, all the relevant information at hand, just enough in depth, and does away with all the too time consuming bits.

Here's some feedback (maybe bugs?) and some questions:

1) In the Team Report - Squad Depth - the minuses that you click to hide a player are cut off slightly (maybe its my screen)

2) I had several crashes when being on the transfer rumours page and right clicking a player to scout (happened to me twice yesterday, maybe its memory overload?)

3) Staff Meetings - I thought I read somewhere that this was available now also for FMC? If so, does this happen during the season automatically or can I call them to raise morale?

4) Scouting - When I start the game I assign the scouts to various areas/regions, depending on how many the club can have. But in the beginning I have no reports available at all. Is this intended? Or should there be "some" knowledge available from the scout already. Also, it starts searching South America first, which is fine, but I am playing in Europe and in the beginning need to be winning the race to sign some players. I usually see South America as potentials for the future. I can go to search for the players, of course, but I am trying to be realistic this year, by hiring staff through adverts and only selecting players I scouted or get to know through the media somehow.

Thank you.

I think the full game is a little too detailed and in-depth for me now so I'm going to give Classic Mode a go tonight. I had a quick play around on the demo and just have a couple of quick questions before I start (apologies if these are obvious or have been addressed elsewhere):

1. Is there any way I can train a player in a new position or to improve on a certain attribute, as I couldn't find this in the demo?

2. Can you change the appearance of a player's attributes so they look like they do in the full game mode, as opposed to having colourful blocks around the numbers?

Thanks.

• Administrators
I think the full game is a little too detailed and in-depth for me now so I'm going to give Classic Mode a go tonight. I had a quick play around on the demo and just have a couple of quick questions before I start (apologies if these are obvious or have been addressed elsewhere):

1. Is there any way I can train a player in a new position or to improve on a certain attribute' date=' as I couldn't find this in the demo?

2. Can you change the appearance of a player's attributes so they look like they do in the full game mode, as opposed to having colourful blocks around the numbers?

Thanks.[/quote']

1) Just play them there and they will learn it

2) Not without changing the skin itself.

Only thing that annoys me on Classic is that on the tactics page on the pitch, condition isn't shown under the players like in the full game.

This gets really annoying when trying to rotate your team on European games and when making subs.

Can this be fixed? Can I use the full game skin or something to fix that? How do I do that??

• Administrators
does the club have to be in the black in order to build a new stadium using the unlockable feature?

No. In game terms you get an "Investment" which pays for it. Magic.

Only thing that annoys me on Classic is that on the tactics page on the pitch, condition isn't shown under the players like in the full game.

This gets really annoying when trying to rotate your team on European games and when making subs.

Can this be fixed? Can I use the full game skin or something to fix that? How do I do that??

It's not I'm afraid.

Can anyone from SI confirm if the analysis tab is likely to be added to this in a forthcoming update?

Many thanks.

New features don't come in updates Sy I'm afraid. It's been suggested before by others so maybe in a future version.

You can always save the PKMs and view them in the FM Match Viewer.

• Administrators

You can save matches after they have been played by using the save icon on the menubar

On the Start Screen in FM skin you can view this in the Match Viewer (button located on the bottom bar).

I'm not sure if this is a bug per se but I just noticed in one of my matches the referee is classified as "lenient" but for the first 2 fouls it was a yellow each time. There were quite a few yellow cards about half as many as there were fouls which I expect from a firm or harsh referee? Would this be a bug or is it still possible that this lenient guy had a harsh day? :)

• Administrators

Will have a look into it. I'm unsure what dictates the referee's description, exactly but will find out. Thanks for raising it.

After many frustrations with the full game, I decided after a fit of rage last night not to completely abandon FM2014, but to try FMC. I abolutely love it. All the things I don't like about the full game are gone, the layout is absolutely beautiful, the gameplay (and speed) is as smooth as a baby's bottom, etc. Absolutely love it! FMC really put the fun back in Football Manager for me :)

I just have one little issue which I already posted in the FMC Bugs forum: Match Screen won't remember my widgets, or so it seems.

Be that as it may, FMC is really, really, really good!

Overall FM 2014 is an upgrade from FM 2013 - but I have a few things I would like you to consider for the future:

'Show Filters' Drop Down Menu Bar

When in the squad screen and about to pick my squad for the up coming match I always click on the 'Show Filters' drop down menu. It is annoying that this menu has to first be clicked away first before I can make a change to my squad. And then I have to re-click it every again to have it reappear. I know this doesn't sound like much of an issue, but this is highly irritating.

Training: 'Give Assistant Manager Control'

The 'Leave Training to Assistant' button does not appear to work for me. I am not seeing the % of time focused on each area changing at all, bar the one that I left it on previously, which, in my game is Ball Control. So it would appear that when I take away control from the AM and make some changes to training and then decide not to carry on controlling training, so giving my AM control back, that the training focus remains the same. Defending and Tactics, which I have not personally selected, have not changed at all and remain at 0%. When my AM is in control I would like there to be a more general increase in all of the focused training areas and not just one - otherwise what is the point in the AM doing it?

Training: 'Squad Training Happiness'

If a player is unhappy about training then why? I have seen on multiple occasions this being the case but giving me no idea as to why, like Wayne Rooney, he was unhappy about training, but do I increase intensity or decrease it? If I was the real life manager then I'd have asked him about it in more detail and not just guess. And in the 'Squad Training Happiness' box it states that 1 player is Content and 41 Happy. When clicking on the 1 content player it shows nothing, no link or list of what player isn't fully happy.

And it seems weird to me that whilst match instructions and those old right to left bars have since dissapeared from FM that training still essentially has one with the 'Intensity Level' options going from being Very Low to Very High. Why, what exactly is Average? Please change this to the match instructions POV - where I can select and mini tweak training, knowing that the AM will sort this out.

I really feel that an option to have players learn new preferred moves is needed. In FM 2013 I am yet to see this be announced and the same still remains in FM 2014. Does it announce it? Seems strange that Man Utd, with good coaches would not have had one player develop a new preferred move and never think to tell me. Needs improving.

Training is overall too simple and not enough detail, but I don't want too much - Just overall control and the ability to tweak things to the way I want them to be, whatever that may be. Without this it takes away from the long term appeal of FMC when I see stat development, yes, but nothing else. Nothing that I can put a personal touch on and see develop.

Tactics:

Much better. Really like the newer version of giving instructions rather than moving bars. I prefered the old view where it would show you a list of your chosen different tactics and your teams progress as to how they managing to understand that tactic. Now it seems like I have one tactic that I tweak or bastardize completely, like going from a 4-5-1 to a 4-1-4-1 for example. If it were my team we would have 3-4 set tactics and use those throughout a match or the season as I feel it is needed.

Transfers:

When bidding for a player there is an option that allows you to reloan that player back to the selling club. I would like to see an option that allows me to stipulate what role and what to the team the said player should have whilst at loan at the selling club. I buy and then reloan James Ward Prowse back to Southampton, what guarantee is there that he would get play time and not sit in reserves for the entire season, so losing a years worth of stat increases? If the club can not agree to this then I would simply refuse the offer to reloan him.

I've still little knowledge of who has been transferred to what club and from whom. Football is about rumors and opinions. I do not see enough of either of these and it is what I live for finding out about when watching Sky Sports News etc.

Not been playing enough just yet to be able to give me opinions of FMC compared to last year but will update once I've thought of more things to add. Really enjoy playing FMC but can't help thinking that perhaps the full version would give me more of what I need as well as more of the things that I do not.

'Actions Button' - This is the one found at the top right of screen, below the continue button. What is the point of this button? All it shows me is an option to 'export team for Versus competition' - which I am never likely to use.

Fixtures - I would like a month to month view, not just all of my fixtures all on the same page. I would like more info on that page showing me what day the transfer window is due to close on, not just de

One thing I'm noticing now more than ever is that with non-league clubs it seems incredibly difficult to sign players on loan.

I am currently Stockport and started in the Skrill North. I managed to get a few young lads from Carlisle, Bristol Rovers and Oxford on loan which I thought was realistic for that level, although there were countless other L1 and L2 youth and reserve players whose clubs, for whatever reason, didn't feel a loan move to me would be in their best interests.

After gaining promotion, there now seems even fewer players willing to join me on loan. The best I can does is a young 17 year old striker from L2 Northampton who is pretty cack.

However, IRL I know for a fact that young players from clubs as high as the Championship go out on loan to non-league sides. Just this summer Dimitar Evtimov, a young, highly-rated 'keeper at my club Forest, was loaned out to Nuneaton in the Conference Premier.

As a non-league club I rely heavily on the loan market and it feels like it's unrealistically difficult to sign players who not only would improve my squad, but IRL would probably be willing to join us on loan.

Serious feedback, sort of bug:

Sometimes during halftime my game sort of freezes. It will go to the halftime screen (with the player ratings and the stats and whatnot), I will press spacebar, it will go back to the pitch screen, but with the players at the exact same position as they were when the ref signaled for halftime. Then it takes about a minute before play continues. Seems to be a bug.

EDIT: Have posted it in the FMC Bugs thread including screenshot :)

How weird that the issue affecting fullbacks in the main game doesn't seem to happen on FM Classic. In fact, many of the bugs reported in the main game are strangely absent on it.

Yea, I instant result most games and just watch the goal highlights and don't notice a great deal of frustrating things (the keeper will still randomly get sent off for handling outside the box)

Tbh, I still don't know what people are talking about the full backs. Their ratings are fine and they are often some of my best players. I play both FM full and FMC. If I hadn't read about it here on the forums I wouldn't even know it's an issue. Maybe I'm just too blind to see it.

Maybe it is because I watch the entire game or comprehensive mode?

If you watch a more comprehensive highlights mode, then you see more of the occasions where full backs do defend OK.

There's definitely a problem with them standing off on too many occasions, and this stands out for people who only watch key highlights.

My full-backs are averaging 10.0 (won) tackles per game, so I could say they don't stand off too much.....

My full-backs are averaging 10.0 (won) tackles per game, so I could say they don't stand off too much.....

These numbers should reduce in the update.

The general issue is that players often don't engage, but when they do, it is often a last resort tackle.

By making engagement more intelligent, the tackle count should head towards normal levels.

In my Hibs game, I was having a look at the other jobs available, as I have lots of leagues loaded. I've no interest in leaving as I'm enjoying the save, it was just out of curiosity. However, the wonderfully named Killymoon Rangers had a vacancy for a new manager. They're in the lower leagues of Northern Ireland, so I created a partitioned save, keeping the main one, and resigned from Hibs and applied for this job, thinking I'd get it no bother as I have a national reputation.

I got a news item a few days later saying they'd laughed off my application. Wtf? Is it possible to be over-qualfied for jobs, and if so, would it not be better to get a news item to that effect?

First of all, I love FMC, I won't play anything else now so I really, really hope it's here to stay for the long term...A couple bits of feedback / future version requests.

Financial Fair Play - I think this should be included into the game, with maybe an unlockable to turn it off if you massively underspend on transfer budget / wages. I'd like it to be in by default as I don't think FMC should stray too much from real life rules.

Training - I think this needs a tiny bit more depth, maybe the re-introduction of match prep, or even just a list of pre-defined training or player options. Things like learning / un learning PPMs.

Overall, great, I wouldn't buy the game now if it weren't for FMC!

• Administrators
In my Hibs game, I was having a look at the other jobs available, as I have lots of leagues loaded. I've no interest in leaving as I'm enjoying the save, it was just out of curiosity. However, the wonderfully named Killymoon Rangers had a vacancy for a new manager. They're in the lower leagues of Northern Ireland, so I created a partitioned save, keeping the main one, and resigned from Hibs and applied for this job, thinking I'd get it no bother as I have a national reputation.

I got a news item a few days later saying they'd laughed off my application. Wtf? Is it possible to be over-qualfied for jobs, and if so, would it not be better to get a news item to that effect?

This hasn't been my experience but then again it would be worth reporting in the bugs forum with a save for me to look at.

Na, it's fine, I just added myself in again as a new manager and took over them that way. It's not something that would crop up too often. Funnily enough though, in the time they dismissed my application, I was approached by two other SPL clubs and one in the Championship. Good enough for them, but not a team in the bottom league in Northern Ireland!!

Are there any plans to have editor data files (.dbc) supported in FMC? It would be awesome if we could include custom database transfer updates.

If not, what is the reason for not including support for the editor in FMC?

Would anyone care to respond?

• Administrators
Would anyone care to respond?

It was mentioned last year, the editor doesn't quite support FMC due to the amount of changes in the mode. Certain things wouldn't be clear from the dbc how they would work, and dbcs also affect game speed, so can hinder the mode as a quick way to play the game.

We're aware of people suggesting it, and there's even people internally have suggested it. But it's a feature request, and is something that may be considered for a future version if it's possible to include.

Its doubtful they will for the time being. Its designed as a quick version of the game, spending a lot of time editing a database is not a quick way of playing FM.

The person playing FMC will usually not do the editing. A large portion of users download custom database updates every year.

It was mentioned last year, the editor doesn't quite support FMC due to the amount of changes in the mode. Certain things wouldn't be clear from the dbc how they would work, and dbcs also affect game speed, so can hinder the mode as a quick way to play the game.

We're aware of people suggesting it, and there's even people internally have suggested it. But it's a feature request, and is something that may be considered for a future version if it's possible to include.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Demo Version tested.

After many years in the footballing wilderness (FM06 was my last full fat FM game) I decided to come back to give SI's latest a try. I was impressed with FM13 on my Android tablet and successfully resisted the urge to give its bigger brother a go, until now, when reading about the Classic mode I got all nostalgic and decided to give the demo a try.

5 friendly games in and I am struggling to get to grips with a game which is undoubtedly a labour of love from SI to their fans and how lucky they are being treated to such an in depth managerial sim. Unfortunately I seem to be having some issues and in no particular order they are:

Information Overload: Wow if this is the streamlined version then the full version must be a statistical beast indeed! Everything from the home page, news inbox, transfers, squad page, even individual player pages provides reams of tabs, hyper links and information which, to me, seemed overkill. But its been so long since I have been in the virtual management seat no wonder I was shocked. No doubt as the game has improved and matured these are the details that players need to turn their virtual team into virtual champions. I remember CM/FM being daunting to new players all those years ago but they pale in significance to the wealth of info on offer here. A small suggestion would be to not cut all this detail from the classic mode but only have what’s important at the fore front, focusing only on what is required to play and enjoy what the classic game is about, transfers and playing matches. With the rest of the details available behind the scenes this may allow new players to step in and enjoy what the game has to offer without feeling a little lost. Its a difficult balancing act though. Apologies for vagueness, I am no game designer.

Tactics and training: This must be a virtual managers dream, the depth is mind boggling and I really did not know where to start. I checked out the tactics and training forum and it seems there is a lot of theories and guesswork going on in regards to creating that winning tactic. Reading through the styles, philosophies, roles, pairings I became a bit lost and it seems to get the best out of my team I am going to have to do some homework and really get under the hood of the game engine. Its a far cry from giving a player their instructions and pointing an arrow! I have only played 5 games and that is no where near enough to offer suggestions but I have found the tactics a real barrier to get into the game and play it for longer periods.

Match day: Immediately I dispensed with the 3d match engine. I remember getting hours of enjoyment from watching my little dots/players knocking the ball around the park and scoring awesome goals, who would have thought watching dots would be so much fun? Its great to see in FMC14 those little dots are just as impressive, my head filling in the blanks as they twist turn and slide quick, exquisite passes around the pitch... their passing and movement looking more fluid and natural than I remember from FM06 (maybe with some mental imagination thrown in) then a box pops up with a message and as I read it, its gone... then another and another. This brings my attention to the row of tabs (more tabs) and I realise there is a tab that displays the messages and I can make in game snap decisions, I can shout instructions, fiddle with strategy's and styles, no longer noticing the on pitch action I find myself wondering if I should tinker with these and how this might effect my team, so many options, so little time.

Injuries: OK this could be rotten luck, dodgy training (my assistants fault not mine) but I had a number of injuries from training and during the 5 friendlies players kept getting knocks (but should be ok to continue... maybe) only to be greeted with players sidelined in the news room.. then a small reminder that a magic sponge is available to purchase, making me chuckle and reminding me how far games have come since I first played CM97/98. A lesser dev than SI would probably inflate the injury ratio to make those sponges more tantalising but I am pretty sure that with better training and match decisions these injuries would have been avoided.

So what did I discover on my return to the world of virtual management? That I am a dinosaur, I am the Ron Atkinson of virtual football management and I am overwhelmed from the sheer number of changes and in depth options available. The virtual managerial world has continued apace and left oldies like me in the dust. SI have crafted a meticulous and indulgent sim that has no equal which only makes me wonder... what on earth is on offer in the full version that was cut from the classic??

It also makes me a little sad that a game I used to devour every year is now hidden from me underneath so much stuff that at times it almost feels inaccessible. Of course this is likely my problem more than the game. I am the one that fell behind and failed to adapt but lets be honest here, had the game not continued to change and evolve it would have stagnated and that would have been far worse for the game and its fans. So well done to SI for keeping the game fresh and interesting for their army of fans. But all is not lost, at least I have the handheld version to keep me out of trouble and in the virtual, managerial dugout! Perfect for dino's like me! :)

So the full FM experience is, sadly not for me (even the classic mode is overwhelming) huge thanks to SI for all the great times I had and I hope you continue to crank out awesome games!

Archived