Long term games

How do you know your current game will just keep going?

I think everyone goes through 'trial' periods at clubs were they test clubs and often enough, quit, restart.

I've done this for a while on FM08 and FM09, often struggling to find a suitable club.

I only had one long haul game on FM08 which was with Portsmouth. I greatly overacheived by finishing 4th in my first season. Quarter finals of the champions league after dumping out AC Milan with 1 - 0 victories both home and away (YES AWAY). Long live Sulley Muntari! (Now with Inter... hehe)

This year I've recently started a Blackburn game which I am enjoying, I have a feeling this will be a long haul game.

I don't, they just turn out to be a long term game. At the moment, my laptop is broke so I've gone back to 08 on my Computer and playing with Celtic and I'm really enjoying it. So when I get my laptop back, I'm going to start a new game with Celtic on 09.

I always start out planning on being a long term game, it just hasnt happened for a few years. This is the first year since FM started (as in post CM) that ive had a career game thats really 'grabbed' me - its 7 years and counting and no sign of getting bored yet.

I always start with the intention of a twenty year career but, I find that i f I become too successful at a club I tend to get bored and long for the challenge of building from league 2 again. However it seems that once you have been at the top, little clubs don't want you so the only way is to start again.:(

So far on 09 I have started games with Hearts, Newcastle, Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Fiorentina and L Orient - the longest was my Hearts save which lastest in the Jan transfer window in the 2nd season?

I dont know why, but I am really struggling to get into a long term game...in previous versions its never been a problem. I just dont know what it is this year. Every game I have started I have the intention on it being the 'one' and they have all lasted about a season, except the Hearts one.

Saying that, I am just going to start a game unemployed and see where I can get to in it - that worked in 08 as I started with a crappy club and ended up at Chelsea.....bu then a couple of years there I got bored!

LLM is the way to go I think - it can get boring being the big clubs with rakes of money to spend.

Off to load up 09 now!!

The longest game I've ever enjoyed was 4 seasons with Fiorentina on CM97/98 Italia version.

So when I got FM07 I decided to try and beat that but couldn't get into it because I was useless. Only managed one season then never went back to it. Skipped FM08.

But I got FM09 on release day and started with Arsenal for a season just to get used to it, and I read the tactics forum like the bible so I knew how to play the game (complicated though it is). I then decided I would definitely beat my 4 season record so I started again with my beloved AFC Wimbledon. Just finished my 2nd season and won the BSS by 5 points. Just starting season 3 and I'm loving every minute. LLM really is the way to go.

I always start my first game as Arsenal, as they are the team I support. Then I sign these youngsters who I want to see progress into superstars and I feel too loyal to Arsenal to quit or stop playing, so I just play a massive Arsenal game practically all year.

I want to force myself to branch out a bit this year though, just need to find the right time to stop the Arsenal game :p

I personally have to say that lower league football is the way to go.

I created a team in the blue south and made them the 6th best rated team in the league so i wouldnt romp it.this is according to the rating in the editor.

ive just been promoted to blue premier and im the worst rated team but my first game i took a draw and told the board i will get top half finish,using the forum to find good players for cheap helps as well,and i drew walsall in the fa cup and it made 200 thousand which took me into the black and out of debt.the thrill of dabbling with money in lower leagues is amazing,im enjoying it so much.

my database is there to be loaded.

its so funnnnnnnnnnnn

ive been many clubs with money but gets boring after a while.

Longest game I've played was one with Djurgårdens IF on FM06... Reached 2027 there I believe.

However, I tend to play network games, and they don't progress that fast, but the one I'm playing with a friend now, we're at 2013. ^_^

I always start out planning on being a long term game, it just hasnt happened for a few years. This is the first year since FM started (as in post CM) that ive had a career game thats really 'grabbed' me - its 7 years and counting and no sign of getting bored yet.

Tell us more Maidel...

A good way of ruining 'infinite' games like FM and manager games is thinking a bit about the point of it all. Say you're unrealisticly building Forest Green into Champions League contenders, what's the point? What do you actually get for it? It's a game, you're not actually getting money, trophie and worldwide recognition. You become dominant, then what? Do it all over again? Why do it all over again when it took so much effort to do it first time round? Take over another big team if you get fired? Why? It'll be a few years until you're dominating as usual.

You'll find yourself quitting in no time.

ozzy i find ur spirit very poor.its a game to rise to the top,if what you are saying is true whats the point in playing any game,whats the point in completing say grand theft auto,whats the point in trying if it doesnt mean you get a cheque through the post,infact why even have a console?

its a game and we all enjoy it in different lights.some people like knowing thats they have taken a club with a inbuilt game reputation of say 1450 in the blue squareand took them all the way to premiership and won it beating a club with a rep of 9900.come back when you have achieved this since u seem to think it would be oh so easy and pointless.

no but u slate it and say whats the point and why do it etc

I bet you havent took a blue square team into prem,ull be a chelsea or man city player.theres nothing challenging about that.

What are you on? When did I slate the game? I enjoy Football Manager. Use your brain and stop commenting with rubbish in your chav-English.

If you're seriously offended...I don't know...grow up?

Chav english,Behave now oz. You were saying whats the point in doing it. Well im advising you of why there is a point. Point is a doubt you would ever manage to get a club from the bottom to the very top or at least even try too.

Bye Now

You make no sense whatsoever.

Bye bye.

I find it simple to get into a long term game - just whenever I would think about starting a new game*, I'll just move clubs.

As such, my current game is probably a long term one - it's the first one I started on FM05.

*obviously I've gone far past the stage of even considering starting a new game - i'm way to attatched to my current 'world'.

Are you unable to understand english?. You came on this thread ranting that whats the point in doing it. What do you achieve. Why start all over again. And im showing that if you had tried it then you would understand the hard work and skill it takes to achieve the accomplishment of doing so.

Any easier now pedro?

You're still talking nonsense. I never ranted, you're just trolling for drama. Even when you said bye you still posted drivel directed towards me, so I'm going to stop feeding the troll. Maybe within time as you see more of my posts (assuming you stay on the forum) you'll see you're talking out of your butt.

Ta ta, I'm off to go play my 7th season on my current Football Manager save, which I'm apparently not playing. Moron.

Say you're unrealisticly building Forest Green into Champions League contenders, what's the point? What do you actually get for it? It's a game, you're not actually getting money, trophie and worldwide recognition. You become dominant, then what? Do it all over again? Why do it all over again when it took so much effort to do it first time round? Take over another big team if you get fired? Why? It'll be a few years until you're dominating as usual.

And you dont think that what you said above there is not a negative comment about doing lower league management. Pffft.

Reported for the moron comment. I never made any abusive comment to you.

Good luck with the game chap. Hope crash dumps Hits ya :)

I always play as Man U and if I am getting bored I add a manager from a team that I think shouldp be playing better than they are - usually a team in the lower divisions and try and get them to the premiership. The when I get them to the premiership I take a different job. it's fun and gives me a challenge.

never got past 15 seasons in previous versions because regens were so poor i found it unplayable but must say u have been extremely imprressed with the improvements in this area on the new version. looking forward to finding a game that grabs my attention to that extent on the new version...hasn't happened yet though

never got past 15 seasons in previous versions because regens were so poor

Do you mean just generally poor in attibutes? Because so far for me in FM07 I have seen some very good regens in the game and no noticable difference between the real players and the regens.

A good way of ruining 'infinite' games like FM and manager games is thinking a bit about the point of it all. Say you're unrealisticly building Forest Green into Champions League contenders, what's the point? What do you actually get for it? It's a game, you're not actually getting money, trophie and worldwide recognition. You become dominant, then what? Do it all over again? Why do it all over again when it took so much effort to do it first time round? Take over another big team if you get fired? Why? It'll be a few years until you're dominating as usual.

He is completely correct. All computer games are fundamentally pointless. Imagine if you spent all the time playing FM down the gym or studying or renovating your house or doing charity work instead! Yeah, you get a sense of achievement taking Forest Green to the Champions League, but it's not the same as the sense of achievement you get from learning a useful new skill or completing a hard physical task.

So why do we do it? Why do we keep on playing?

Because it's an escape from your tedious job/school work/day to day drudgery. FM is an alternate reality where the player makes the rules and controls the future. These are extremely important and attractive things in these troubled times. It's a chance to dream and make up your own story.

Archived