Its worse than Sensible Soccer

I mean the graphics, come on they are really bad compared to whats out there today. There are some huge graphical errors if you ask me.

Dont you love it when a player lofts the ball forward and it bounces of other players just like ping pong or how your player stop running and they move by sliding around, or how about 4 players just stand around the ball not doing anything, even when you do score it just looks really bad.

Even the stadiums with there grayed out areas, the list can go on and on, but hope si improve it, it can get very fustating watching it, but i do think sensible soccer form the early 90's on my amiga was better graphic wise.

What do you guys think.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing will ever ever ever ever ever ever beat sensible soccer!

On a serious note though, the 3d is merely another option of viewing the game. Its better than the 2d discs we have had and its far easier to see what going on tactically!

Surely, if its next gen graphics you so require then FIFA 09 or Pro evo is the game for you?

Leave it out, SI have never done anything like this before so are new at it! Give them a break!

I mean the graphics, come on they are really bad compared to whats out there today. There are some huge graphical errors if you ask me.

Dont you love it when a player lofts the ball forward and it bounces of other players just like ping pong or how your player stop running and they move by sliding around, or how about 4 players just stand around the ball not doing anything, even when you do score it just looks really bad.

Even the stadiums with there grayed out areas, the list can go on and on, but hope si improve it, it can get very fustating watching it, but i do think sensible soccer form the early 90's on my amiga was better graphic wise.

What do you guys think.

I was pretty shocked when I saw the awful graphics. It was hyped by Sega and SI as a real innovation. Really very poor.

What do you guys think.

i think you are one of these people that expected FIFA graphics. As someone has already said for what it does for the game its fine. Do you remember 2D balls a few months ago? Yet all of a sudden people want amazing 3D graphics with Player Cams and Facial Features. Come on people get a grip.

i think you are one of these people that expected FIFA graphics. As someone has already said for what it does for the game its fine. Do you remember 2D balls a few months ago? Yet all of a sudden people want amazing 3D graphics with Player Cams and Facial Features. Come on people get a grip.

Agreed, I think that it was already a nice step forward, maybe could lead us to a more FIFA' ish graphics in the future, maybe for the 2011 version well have Fifa manager type graphics... But i liked it as it is, and as someone has already posted, it gives a deeper tactical and technical analisys, both in the individual and team aspects. Keep up the good work SI, just drop the crappy STEAM platform.

I agree, it's far better (flaws and all) to establish tactical pros & cons with the 3D engine and hopefully SI can improve it over time to iron out the early problems. Games like FIFA & Pro Evo have had years to get their match engines right and I can certainally remember players doing stupid things in the early versions of those games.

Remember, FM is essentially a simulation programme and is not meant to have "cutting edge" graphics so don't ever expect it to reach the same graphic standards as FIFA or Pro Evo. Plus two months ago we were quite happy watching circles move around a screen!!

I'd say cut SI a break on this one and applaud them for trying to take the game to the next level.

Maybe I'm weird but I really don't want anything too much better than this. I just want to be able to see what's going on and most importantly for the game to run smoothly and quickly.

You still have to use your imagination a bit sometimes which I quite like.

I don't want SI wasting time making the graphics pretty. They represent what's going on, and that's fine for me.

Now, if SI paid, or did a deal with, their Data partners, Konami/Pro Evolution to make a 3D match engine that gave the game atmosphere and adjustable replays and so on, that'd be awesome. I'd probably pay twice as much for the game the first time it came out, to support the development. But I would not like to see SI themselves forgetting about the -actual game- for very long.

FM is a tactical simulator. 3D isn't even necessary to play the game, but even the level it's at now is quite pretty.

I think it is important that SI get the basics right first, and they are close to getting the basics right with this patched release (although there IS room for improvement on the ME). Future releases, I am sure, will have bigger and better graphics, and you'll be able to see tricks and zoom in etc, you know, all the things those with no imagination really need in order to enjoy a game ;-)

I don't want SI wasting time making the graphics pretty. They represent what's going on, and that's fine for me.

Now, if SI paid, or did a deal with, their Data partners, Konami/Pro Evolution to make a 3D match engine that gave the game atmosphere and adjustable replays and so on, that'd be awesome. I'd probably pay twice as much for the game the first time it came out, to support the development. But I would not like to see SI themselves forgetting about the -actual game- for very long.

With the amount of people on here whinging that they can't play 3D on there computers now, making it anymore advanced would propably make it unplayable onmore computers.

What do you guys think.

the only bad thing in my game is the orange crowd, other thjan that, the graphics are spot on

the graphics are a joke for a supped up sensible soccer clone. why is it that this graphically unchallenginging game needs such a mighty graphics card? a joke in my oppinion. ive got a couple of friends who have had to upgrade their cards just because of this game. its strange when both have been playing much better graphically games without any problems.

the graphics are a joke for a supped up sensible soccer clone.

I don't see the problem with that, IIRC Sensi was fantastic and the playability made up for the poor graphics. FM, whether the graphics are pants or not, is still far better than many of it's fancier rivals.

the graphics are a joke for a supped up sensible soccer clone. why is it that this graphically unchallenginging game needs such a mighty graphics card? a joke in my oppinion. ive got a couple of friends who have had to upgrade their cards just because of this game. its strange when both have been playing much better graphically games without any problems.

you're not really the brightest are you. Yes the graphics cards that FM use can handle better graphics and I am sure it will as the 3D is developed. But not all graphics cards will support pixel shading and stuff like that so while the 3D might be at the low end for those graphics card there still required to get it running.

What do you guys think.

Where have you been for the past 16 years of the football manager games??? it was never about graphics it was about game play and for the record the 3d engine is superb for what the game is. How you can compare the 2 games beats the **** out of me, it's like comparing Halo 3 and pacman you dont do it.

I was pretty shocked when I saw the awful graphics. It was hyped by Sega and SI as a real innovation. Really very poor.

The only poor thing I can see is your poor level of judgment in your response, here we have another so called FM user who claims to know alot but really knows nothing. Now read this line please The Game Is About Gameplay Has Always Been The Case!!!! Get the mesage now if so thank you

Brandon the game is about game play never been about the graphics as your friends can tell you this thats why they have been playing the game for the past god how many years on a low spec computers. They had a slight dimension improvement and these people on low specs are struggling, well with the many years of gaming the games get better and so you need to upgrade your computer, not rocket science is it.

If you think it's poor compared to the other game you and others keep quoting this is not world of war craft or crysis warhead it's football manger known for its game play not graphics, now think of something else to moan about like real issues with the game the bugs.

you're not really the brightest are you. Yes the graphics cards that FM use can handle better graphics and I am sure it will as the 3D is developed. But not all graphics cards will support pixel shading and stuff like that so while the 3D might be at the low end for those graphics card there still required to get it running.

no im not the brightest. thanks for pointing that out to me. i struggle to comprehend lifes problems. how i get up every morning is beyond me.

Brandon the game is about game play never been about the graphics as your friends can tell you this thats why they have been playing the game for the past god how many years on a low spec computers. They had a slight dimension improvement and these people on low specs are struggling, well with the many years of gaming the games get better and so you need to upgrade your computer, not rocket science is it.

If you think it's poor compared to the other game you and others keep quoting this is not world of war craft or crysis warhead it's football manger known for its game play not graphics, now think of something else to moan about like real issues with the game the bugs.

the game was never about graphics for me. never has been. in fact i couldnt give a flying fig about the sparkly new 3D match engine. my point is that a game with fairly mediocre graphics has caused a couple of my friends to upgrade their perfectly adequate machines.

What do you guys think.

only the subs float around sometimes for me. the on pitch players never do. it never bounces of players like ping pong either for me. noen of the plyaers i've seen just stand round the ball doing nothing.

the stadiums need more life i do agree though.

the game was never about graphics for me. never has been. in fact i couldnt give a flying fig about the sparkly new 3D match engine. my point is that a game with fairly mediocre graphics has caused a couple of my friends to upgrade their perfectly adequate machines.

Adequate is the word, I think people are fooled by the "minimum requirements" and think the game should run super quick on a machine that meets these minimum requirements. I felt the same, and i've found the game very slow in loading/processing, despite exceeding the minimum requirements.

The gfx are acceptable and have a certain charm i think, the only things i dislike are the stadiums which look shoddy beyond the pitch and the animations sometimes are laughable, like when someone gets scythed down and then floats along the floor while getting up only to release a killer pass lol

I dont think the Graphics are too bad considering the average FM players PC specs, the main issue that needs fixing is the animations, which often take the realism out of the experience for me.

Often when a player kicks the ball it looks awkward and un synced with the ball, players do still move in awkward ways.

Tackles are a problem also, when a player slides in and tackles an opponent and takes the opponent down in a clean tackle the tackled player often gets up immediately and carries on while the tackler stays on the ground doing the splits for alot longer.

I think that the "graphical detail" i.e resolutions/player detail/pitch detail is fine for what FM players need it to be. I agree it would be great to have a little more stadium detail rather than just a gray box.

I'm sure that all the problems we're all describing now will get addressed in time as the 3d engine evolves and improves over the next couple of years.

I think the graphics need to be put into context with how the game runs. FM is really about stats, analytical behaviour, tactics, etc and is very intensive so I think the 3D match engine is really just trying to show how your alterations and decisions are affecting the team and ultimately the results so that you can tweak what you need to.

FM has never been about mind blowing graphics and has always seemed to focus on substance in the game.

Definately the 3D grahics are a good start and I'm sure more will follow.

Replying to the OP

FM'09 is the first version of the 3D match engine. It took SI a couple of years to get the 2D version looking really good and I've no doubt it will take a couple of years for the 3D version to really reperesent the match engine in a truly satisfactory way.

I bought the game knowing this, and if you were expecting a Pro Evo or FIFA type engine then sorry but you've got the wrong game.

I agree with previous posters who said the actual graphics are good enough for this kind of game. The grey crowd doesn't bother me either.

It's just that the animations are so poorly done that it makes FM09 the most unnatural looking 3D football game I have EVER seen. It's also ridiculous for a game that looks like it's from 1998. to require a computer from 2008.

I bought a new PC last week. The £d match engine is very impressive and makes the game easier. I found it hard picturing my players with the 2D match engine. The 3D one gives me a perspective I'm used to.

i got bored about reading the numpties complaints about the poorness of the graphics,

think back three seasons ago or whenever the 2d match engine first came in, that was an innovation, before that it was just text on a screen, the 2d match improved the game 100% and the 3d engine (despite all the bugs) has improved it another 100%,

If you want realistic graphics then play fifa or PES, this is a management game, it is meant to be focusing on the management aspects of the game not how good (or bad) the players look, it is the first attempt from SI to do something like this and (despite the bugs) my hat goes off to the developers at SI for all the hard work, and am already excited by what they might have up their sleeves for next years game.

If they made everything perfect on the first game there would be no need for new ones, and as a company that is committing suicide.

I'm going to do some photoshopping when I get home tonight.

Get a screenshot of Fifa09, with FM09 widgets, a scoreboard that says 10-0 and a tactics panel that has arrows for the wingers to cut inside and the with/without ball options.

Watch the drool commence.

Exactly!

It's a management game, people! I loved it when it was just text, even though it was hard to work out what you were doing right/wrong sometimes. The 2-d match engine helped with that, and the 3-d engine helps even more. At the end of the day, the match engine is a representation of the end result of everything you do between matches, and on the match day.

Look all my post said was i think it just needs improving, im not or wasnt expecting graphic like pro evo 09 or fifa 09 but i thought they could have done a better job, thats all.

I think people got carried away because some members took it a bit too far, hopefully most of it wasn't aimed at you. I was a little hurt by your slamming of Sensi though, it still rocks :D

I think people got carried away because some members took it a bit too far, hopefully most of it wasn't aimed at you. I was a little hurt by your slamming of Sensi though, it still rocks :D

Yeah it was a good game, long long time ago.............in a distant land

I personally feel that if they weren't going to bother properly with 3D graphics, SI should have handed that part to a 3rd party (I would have been happy paying extra for the game to cover this) OR stayed in 3D until they could be bothered.

Dont want to sound harsh, but I have to watch matches in 'elevated' mode so as not to get too much of a close view of the game.

The thing that frightens me is that they didn't bother until "the technology was capable of doing it". Considering the technology that is out there, and the technology that they've used, they must think a loom is a giant leap forwards and the power of the water wheel will never be topped.

3D is better than 2D but only in the way that a punch on the nose is better than a kick in the wedding tackle.

the 3d is a step forward nonetheless, even if it does represent a rabit caught in headlights right now. fight or flight all fudded up and neither being a viable or entertaining prospect for the end user.

the greyed out stadia for me were a real gaffe. especially when someone posted up a seat texture on the graphics forum that would have done a lot to make it at least look half finished and used bugger all extra video memory.

i am also amazed they went for fixed cameras and there is no user zoom on the mouse wheel or something so you can move in and out dynamically.

i hope they dont confuse a good 3d with the ME iteration cycle and make us wait until 2012 for something decent and complete. :)

Archived