What does Clear Cut Chance Really Mean?

I am beginning to get the impression that I am misunderstanding this term CCC. To me personally i would think that such a chance would be a very very good chance of scoring but i think that maybe on the game it is a slightly over simplified term which i am not quite grasping.

Recently I have played 2 games one which i got 8 CCCs and scored 2 goals another where I got 1 CCC and scored 2 goals. Now of course im not saying that other chances cant result in goals however i would say that surely the chance of scoring more goals is higher with a higher number of CCCs? To me 8 CCCs would suggest that I am carving open the oppositions defence and creating some quality opportunities, however i am beginning to think that this term CCC is not all that it seems.

Is there anyone that can clarify this issue?

I've always been a bit dubious of the CCC stat, which is why I usually ignore it. 'Goals' is the only stat I really pay attention to.

thats definately the way im starting to feel, i don't really understand what it is meant to mean, it seems to offer very little in terms of understanding how my team is playing

thats definately the way im starting to feel, i don't really understand what it is meant to mean, it seems to offer very little in terms of understanding how my team is playing

I get some use out of it in the analysis tab where you can see what the game is calling a chance, and click on the dot and watch the replay. It's not that great because it seems arbitrary to me in what is classed a chance, half chance, or not, but it can be handy on occasion to see where your scoring attempts are coming from and why.

I am beginning to get the impression that I am misunderstanding this term CCC. To me personally i would think that such a chance would be a very very good chance of scoring but i think that maybe on the game it is a slightly over simplified term which i am not quite grasping.

Recently I have played 2 games one which i got 8 CCCs and scored 2 goals another where I got 1 CCC and scored 2 goals. Now of course im not saying that other chances cant result in goals however i would say that surely the chance of scoring more goals is higher with a higher number of CCCs? To me 8 CCCs would suggest that I am carving open the oppositions defence and creating some quality opportunities, however i am beginning to think that this term CCC is not all that it seems.

Is there anyone that can clarify this issue?

In FM, it means very little, the definition in game is incredibly liberal, to the point i think its actually not to be relied upon. At least half the CCCs i create i would dismiss as not being CCCs at all.

It may be a small thing, but if people are relying on it to guage how good their chances are its a big issue.

yeah i think my issue with it is that on its own it is a very misleading stat within the game, i think many people are getting frustrated because they are creating a lot of CCC's and thinking "well im creating great chances why cant i score?" when in reality these chances might not be so good

I've seen a lot of hard chances(specially headers) or rushed shots at the edge of the area that are counted as CCC's so i try to ignore that stat as much as possible.

Shots on target seems a better indication of how your tactic is working IMO, though i think that shots on the woodwork count as off-target which i feel is kind of wrong.

Of course it doesn't tell you how your team is playing. A team could create 2 clear cut chances from 2 counter attacks despite having a lot less possession. How about watching the match to see how your team is playing? Just an idea.

I do watch the match, what i am saying is that if you are creating a lot of CCCs you would assume that your team is cutting through the opposition's defence fairly easily and playing well, but this isnt the case.

I'm not saying you cant create these chances on the counter or simply one good attacking movement.

I don't think CCC is arbitrary, I think this is more of an indication of how effective your defense is, since you can't always tell from the 3D animation. I think it's a percentage of how likely the shot is to go in because the defender(s) not putting enough pressure on the shooter whether he was out of position/he lost his marker or whatever, and the fact that it didn't go in is because the goalie was equal to the task and saved it... but that's just how I see it, and all I know is the less CCC I let the opponent have the better chance I have to win :p

I was having a debate with someone on here recently and they gave me a valuable piece of advice. Dont look at CCC's look at % of shots on target. If youve had 24 shots and 1 on target your obviously either 1)shooting from range or 2)not creating good quality chances. Much better way of looking at chances and how you are playing. I try to aim for over 40% of shots on target. Any less and I start tweaking

CCC = you really should have scored.

If you didn't, then something happened. Their keeper turned into Superman, your player had a 'moment'.

These are opportunities where all the planets aligned and the ball should have ended up being picked out the back of the net by the oppo keeper.

The best way to view this is to watch the 'scoring opportunities' from the replays.

Regards

LAM

Maybe it's just the tactic I play, but I tend to generate a lot of one-on-ones with the keeper, but I don't have the most clinical of finishers up front. So they tend to miss a LOT of them. I'm wondering if this is called a CCC?

Shots on target is also misleading. I think anyone who has played FM for awhile gets frustrated by what I like to call the 'pass to the keeper' where the offensive player taps a light shot directly at the keeper from 20 yards. That would be considered a 'shot on target'. But it doens't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

Unless your being really tight with what is regarded a CCC then it is just opinions surely. FM is too liberal but I see that in real life OPTA has started recorded CCC so that may make interesting reading, stats wise, going forward.

I too have a problem with CCCs. It's a feature that's poorly programmed by SI in my opinion.

Scenario: A player receives a nice pass just inside the opposition half and is one on one with the keeper. The keeper cuts down the angle a little and the player decides to shoot just outside the box (like 18 metres). The game never counts that as a CCC, which is simply ridiculous. You do not get a better scoring chance than that...

Also, every free kick is considered a long shot. However, long shots are generally considered poor scoring chances by us users. Yet, I would argue that a free kick from 17 metres is a supberb scoring chance. The game doesn't think so.

It means he's got himself into a position where, if all things are optimal, he should score from.

People often forget the bit in italics and assume a CCC is a perfect chance every time.

It means he's got himself into a position where, if all things are optimal, he should score from.

People often forget the bit in italics and assume a CCC is a perfect chance every time.

Best explanation i read in this thread! :applause:

• 1 year later...

It's not like you're supposed to score most of your ccc's. FM's definition may differ from opta's, but there you go:

- about ccc's

- CCC stats from the first half of this season

- CCC stats from the whole season a couple of years back, when RvP scored the most and Papiss Cisse and Jelavic were awesome (yet have been rubbish since). Liverpool's strikers wouldn't convert chances, while Downing was creating them only to end up with no assists (leading to all off them expect Suarez departing along with Kenny Dalglish).

• 3 years later...

As many others have said, just ignore it and focus on Shots on Target.

I've had a few moments where one of my players or the opposition has missed what looked to me to be a hard chance to score but was defined by the game as a Clear Cut Chance. It can be used pretty loosely by FM.

Archived