FM12: I can't sell any player... tried with 10+ teams

BSX

Hi,

I have played a couple of seasons with more than 10 different teams (different games) since FM12 came out.

No matter what team I'm playing I haven't been able to sell a player !

I've offered a lot of players for very low prices, but none of the interested clubs ever made a bid.

The worst is that sometimes a club (eg man city) is interested in one of my star players (like gareth bale); well even when I offered him for is actual value, city didn't made a bid...

I dunno what's wrong, but transfer system is absolutely dead in FM12

I have holidayed 3 games till 2020 and then checked the biggest transfers --> but strangely enough there weren't big transfers like in previous FM series

Maybe it's my tactics like always...

Yeah i'm finding the same, also with loaning players out. At chelsea offered essien, malouda, turnbull and kakuta for free and got no offers and no one will take machechran, piazon, kalas or lukaku on loan, and when offered to affiliated clubs the player rejects!!

With Liverpool, i cant sell Carroll, Henderson, Agger, Downing or Doni.

These are high valued, highly paid players whose ability doesnt match their wage packet, thats the main reason I struggle selling, either I ask for to much, the players wages scare teams off or their reputation means alot of teams will be put off, saying that I can clear my unwanted players with only abit of hassle

FM has always made the selling process very difficult. It’s very bizarre. I’ve made numerous posts about it over the years.

In real life, once a manager decides he doesn’t need a player and tells the club to put him on the transfer list, do you think he has to start getting involved in offering to clubs for lower amounts or any of that crap? No, so why in the world do we have to do this weird song and dance in FM? I’ll never understand it! We should just put a player on the transfer list and the club should then work to try to get the best deal they can for him. I guess I should just be happy that at least nowadays you can often sell a player for more than his value. In the old days you had to always buy a player for twice his value and sell a player for half. Although often it’s still that way to this day.

FM has always made the selling process very difficult. It’s very bizarre. I’ve made numerous posts about it over the years.

In real life, once a manager decides he doesn’t need a player and tells the club to put him on the transfer list, do you think he has to start getting involved in offering to clubs for lower amounts or any of that crap? No, so why in the world do we have to do this weird song and dance in FM? I’ll never understand it! We should just put a player on the transfer list and the club should then work to try to get the best deal they can for him. I guess I should just be happy that at least nowadays you can often sell a player for more than his value. In the old days you had to always buy a player for twice his value and sell a player for half. Although often it’s still that way to this day.

I would say a manager will do alot of bartering, the club will help out but I think managers do alot behind the scenes on this, there is a option for the board to help buy someone in the game, maybe a similar thing to sell would be a good idea

Its getting beyond a joke now. Im in 2015 and Danny Welbeck wants to leave. He's worth £6.5m and even when I offer him for £0 nobody bids. A 30 year old Ashley Young is the same. Worth £3m (last year of contract) and not one offer. Even offering him out for £1m. Tried to sell Vidic because he wants to leave, he's furious with me, but rejects every contract offer from other teams. Teams like Real and Athletico Madrid, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Seville. He wants to go yet wont leave.

Say what you want about a 33 year old Vidic, but Welbeck and Young would be snapped up IRL. Something is seriously wrong with the transfer system this year IMO.

I think agents demand ridiculous terms, thus rejecting deals, or players are on quite high wages and don't want to settle for less (The mufc and liverpool examples above).

But yeah, the system of selling should definately be improved, let club handle more of it...

maybe it's time for FM to introduce the Director of Football?

Its getting beyond a joke now. Im in 2015 and Danny Welbeck wants to leave. He's worth £6.5m and even when I offer him for £0 nobody bids. A 30 year old Ashley Young is the same. Worth £3m (last year of contract) and not one offer. Even offering him out for £1m. Tried to sell Vidic because he wants to leave, he's furious with me, but rejects every contract offer from other teams. Teams like Real and Athletico Madrid, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Seville. He wants to go yet wont leave.

Say what you want about a 33 year old Vidic, but Welbeck and Young would be snapped up IRL. Something is seriously wrong with the transfer system this year IMO.

I'm not sure why this works but I've noticed offering players at their market value or lower doesn't entice bids but what seemed to work for me when offloading players from my Celtic team was offering them out at around 3 or 4 times their market value, of course no clubs would bid the amount I offered them out for but I did get bids, although they were always spread out over 48 months etc. Don't think I've managed to sell a single player in 7 seasons were the entire fee was paid up front.

I think agents demand ridiculous terms, thus rejecting deals, or players are on quite high wages and don't want to settle for less (The mufc and liverpool examples above).

But yeah, the system of selling should definately be improved, let club handle more of it...

maybe it's time for FM to introduce the Director of Football?

I thought that myself so I copied the save file and loaded the copy as a test, edited Vidic's wage to £1 per week using FMRTE (had to be Vidic as he was the only one I was recieving offers for), and he was still rejecting contracts. So high wages couldnt have been a problem.

I'm not sure why this works but I've noticed offering players at their market value or lower doesn't entice bids but what seemed to work for me when offloading players from my Celtic team was offering them out at around 3 or 4 times their market value, of course no clubs would bid the amount I offered them out for but I did get bids, although they were always spread out over 48 months etc. Don't think I've managed to sell a single player in 7 seasons were the entire fee was paid up front.

When im selling a player I always at least double their value. Worked fine in FM11 but not his year

Start of second season with Stoke I tried to sell, Crouch, Jerome, Sorensen, Wilson and Arismendi.

Only Jerome and Sorensen sold for 1M and 250K respectively, massively underpriced too! I was offering Arismendi, a Uruguayan international to clubs for 700K but still no-one would buy him ffs!

It's difficult, though I don't know if it's so unrealistically so. The main problem seems to be, teams don't even attempt to enter into negotiations with a player if they think their wage demands will be too high.

What works sometimes for me is offering a mutual termination of contract. The player will, almost certainly, refuse, and become unhappy and may want to leave. When you offer the player for a cut rate after that, teams will be more likely to come in for him.

The problem is the reputation system. No question about it.

If you manage to get an offer for a player, but he refuses to go (this is especially useful for loans), try again but this time when the bid is accepted you use FMRTE to increase the bidding club's reputation a few thousand points.... problem solved!

Mess around with the reputation of the player and the involved clubs and you will find out what the threshold is for both AI club's interest and his willingness to go. My guess is that the threshold is set too narrow now, in an attempt to avoid unrealistic transfers.

The human managers will always manage to bypass that, while the AI can't.

The AI transfer aggressiveness must be multiplied a dozen or two times in order for AI team building to approach realistic levels.

Start of my tottenham save, I sold Defoe, Pavlychenko, Krancjar, Gomes, Benoit Assou-Ekkoku (or however its spelt), Jake Livermore, Verdan Corluka all at the very beginning of the save, and up for Value or above.

It is easier at the start of a save because most clubs haven't played any games. It seems that once you progress further into the game that clubs won't buy players that haven't played much, whilst players that have played well obviously get more attention.

It's not impossible to sell players on FM12 sometimes it is hard but I managed alright on my saves.

Malaga first season - £850k didn't really try to sell anyone

Malaga second season - £24.5 million

Malaga third season - £54 million

Sunderland first season - £0 didn't offer anyone out apart from Titus Bramble might explain it lol.

Sunderland second season - £32 million including £1 million for big Titus

Sunderland third season - £45 million

Also I have played one season as Valencia and made £7.75 million in the first season and then in the summer I sold £42.5 million

Like I said it is harder to sell players but nowhere near impossible. I do find it a struggle to get big offers but in those saves I have sold three players for more than £20 million, those being Luis Suarez, Tevez and Shawcross.

I'm doing LLM and now in my 4th season. The computers teams are spending money in Italy. Top 3 teams have spent around 38mil each a season on players, but even in England most big clubs have splashed the cash.

Unfortunately my team and players are poo so i don't know about selling players ;)

It's not impossible to sell players on FM12 sometimes it is hard but I managed alright on my saves.

Sunderland first season - £0 didn't offer anyone out apart from Titus Bramble might explain it lol.

Also I have played one season as Valencia and made £7.75 million in the first season and then in the summer I sold £42.5 million

Like I said it is harder to sell players but nowhere near impossible. I do find it a struggle to get big offers but in those saves I have sold three players for more than £20 million, those being Luis Suarez, Tevez and Shawcross.

Nice, screenshots??

The amount of free transfers concerns me. Nobody even tried to buy Turner, Richardson, Campbell, Riveros and Elmohamady? And that just the Sunderland ones!

Surely IRL at least the newly promoted teams would have a go?

The thing is acidburn those players you sold would have been wanted. It's impossible to sell rubbish players!

The thing is acidburn those players you sold would have been wanted. It's impossible to sell rubbish players!

I sold Titus Bramble lol. The OP cannot sell Gareth Bale, I have not found too much wrong with the transfer system but others have so there must be something slightly wrong but I can only speak from personal experiences.

Just as a test I have started a new game with spurs and offered a lot of players at the start of the game (all for their current value)

The only bid I received was on 48 months for assou-ekoto...

So you don't want a "rubbish" player but you expect other teams to buy them??

When you want to sell a player you really need to identify the level of team that he would be useful for then you need to consider:

A) Do they need him - Consider skills, age etc

B) Can they afford the transfer fee?

C) Can they afford his wages?

So you don't want a "rubbish" player but you expect other teams to buy them??

When you want to sell a player you really need to identify the level of team that he would be useful for then you need to consider:

A) Do they need him - Consider skills, age etc

B) Can they afford the transfer fee?

C) Can they afford his wages?

Obviously a 'rubbish' players is subjective to your team. A rubbish player for you might be a key player for another team.

If your club is fighting for a top half place in the Premier League and you have a "good player for most Premier League sides" who does not get to play regular first team football and is considered either a squad or backup player (i.e the third best midfielder in his current squad), he should want to move to a bottom-half/relegation candidate Premier League side which offers him First Team status and competitive wages. He sends his agent out for a club hunt, and he comes back with a number of viable targets. They receive a notice of interest from the agent via his network and bids what they believe would be an acceptable price based on "base value" and contract length.

Then you as the manager receives that offer, accept, refuse or negotiate.

At no point would us managers bother with the tedious task of "offering a player out". From our point of view the bidding club would "notice" that the player in question is unsettled or looking for greener grass, new challenges etc, and make a bid. There should be a hidden percentage on the AI manager's shortlist for how much the player is wanted, and this regulates how much they are willing to bid. The important bit is that we should not need to offer a player out or transfer list him in order to receive interest, there should be a hidden, permanent interest in -all- the players in the gaming world from all clubs at all times. Just like in the real world. Every club in the world wants every good player in the world, but from there to offering money for them to move is a big step - there are three limitations: money, the chance of winning trophies and a sporting challenge. I think that for SI to move away from the single-number Reputation scheme is the only way to effectively simulate the real world transfer market. One option could be to use three reputation-linked numbers instead: one for a club's financial muscle, one for the club's chance of winning trophies and one linked to league reputation.

The decision-making of both player and club could then be more informed: a player could sign for any of those three reasons, not necessarily all of them like it is now. Any kid in the whole wide world would dream of playing in the Premier League, so many players would gladly move to mid-table anonymity from all-winning Porto, while some prefer stardom in Portugal instead, even for less money. Showing up on football trainings at Manchester United could be the dream for many players, but for some not being allowed to play at Old Trafford would be a major let-down and they'd rather find a new club.

The AI should also scour the transfer list for players that are unwanted at their clubs because those would be cheaper and more willing to sign.

They should attempt to strengthen at least two positions of their squad strength or depth every season. There must be code in place that allows the AI to make intelligent decisions regarding these signings as well as who to get rid of. This logic should be one variation of: 1 first team choice, 1 backup/rotation choice plus 1 veteran or young player in each position of the main tactic used by the current manager (and/or the club). Consequently the AI logic of when to rotate or use youngsters and when not to needs to be much more sophisticated than today.

Lot of talking around this issue, but an issue it remains.

I have been playing this game long enough to recognise when (lots of) good players, offered out at reasonable prices (or free), are receiving absolutely no offers from any other clubs, then 'pass me the RAID, because this is a bug!'

I have not found too much wrong with the transfer system
Can you give us the exact repro steps? Maybe it is just a question of HOW you try to get rid of players. Did you want to sell those players in the first place or did the AI clubs get interested? Do you transfer list them? Do you offer them out? For how much of their market value? Do you set an asking value? When do you transfer list/offer them out? Anything else that might do the trick?

There's definitely an issue with the wages agents are asking for. Steven Gerrard is 34 now in my game and with his contract almost completely run down I offered a status of back up and wages of around £40,000, but his agent wouldn't go below £60,000. Now he's left the club on a free and no one is picking him up, so he'll just drift about for a bit before he retires.

He'd be an outstanding player at Championship level and can still do a job in the top leagues, but his wage demands are putting everyone off. In real life, this just would not happen - he'd find a way to play on, unless he was planning to retire (which he isn't).

There's definitely an issue with the wages agents are asking for. Steven Gerrard is 34 now in my game and with his contract almost completely run down I offered a status of back up and wages of around £40,000, but his agent wouldn't go below £60,000. Now he's left the club on a free and no one is picking him up, so he'll just drift about for a bit before he retires.

He'd be an outstanding player at Championship level and can still do a job in the top leagues, but his wage demands are putting everyone off. In real life, this just would not happen - he'd find a way to play on, unless he was planning to retire (which he isn't).

Did you try locking your wage offer at 40k?

Then they come back with ridiculous appearance fee's like £100k. And obviously the more you lock, you might as well go to last years game and click the non-negotiable box because it always has the same effect :(

Yup. As the poster below said, everything else shoots up like crazy when you lock wages significantly lower than what the player/agent is after.

he is Gerrard, why did you even let him slip away on free?
What is the AI's obsession with making bids of 0 up front but the rest over 48 months? It's tedious.
becouse maybe thats the only way they can pay the fee? and well most players seams to use the 48months option a lot themselves, why do you find it so strange that the ai does it?

It happens sometimes but at the lower league levels I have found that you can get players on decent contracts by locking certain parts of their contract. I tried it with David Silva he was on 200k a week, I tried to renew his contract and locked it at 175k a week and he asked for 800k per appearance lol.

One thing I have found odd, and its happened about 5 times now in this save, is when you negotiate with defenders and lock their wage, and they come back additional clauses, they ask for a goal bonus for scoring 15 goals in a season. Why would a defender/agent ask for this?

I like teams with pace and his had all but gone at 34. I wanted to keep him as back up to tutor the kids, but I'm pretty strict on wages and couldn't justify someone who isn't going to feature for my first team being on £60,000.

becouse maybe thats the only way they can pay the fee? and well most players seams to use the 48months option a lot themselves, why do you find it so strange that the ai does it?

I don't find it strange. I find it annoying. It's not the only way they can pay the fee. Chelsea made an offer of 2.5m over 48 months in my game. Ludicrous.

Yup. As the poster below said, everything else shoots up like crazy when you lock wages significantly lower than what the player/agent is after.
you can still strike some kind of bargin with most agents that make no sense, like offering the player a significant part of any sell on fee when they dont really have any sell on value, and you intend to keep them anyway

Archived