Team Talks - Too Important?

SB9

One of the things about the game in recent years that has frustrated me is the seemingly huge importance of selecting the correct team-talk and the direct correlation this has on the outcome of a match.

FM12 has taken team (and player) talks to a new level and the depth is admirable. I am just wondering whether there are others out there who have the same opinion as me - sometimes less is more. Should team talks be as important as they are? Should they be as in-depth as they are?

Personally, the idea of having to choose from a vast number of team (and player) talks and apply them in the correct tone of voice is just a bit dull. There are some aspects of being a football manager that do not necessarily have to make it into a game simulation and certainly do not have to be so important, nor take up a chunk of game time.

If you find them that boring, you can just have the assistant always do them. It's an option in "Team Policy" now, I think.

I quite like the new team talks but I still don't bother with press conferences. At least they give us the option to just say "nah, don't wanna do that."

They often have an impact on results, which shouldn't be the case. When I was going through a bad patch I started doing the team talks myself and I noticed a massive improvement.

I agree that the depth is really admirable, but they shouldn't have so much a bearing on how your team performs.

Neil was in another thread today saying they are "nowhere near as important as you think they are".

For what it's worth, and I've only tried a realistic approach to them, they are either unaffected or motivated/delighted. Either way, I've won/lost/drawn games regardless.

I've yet to see a team talk upset a player on my team.

I think that team/player talks is a good addon within FM12, the problem is that it follows an illogical flaw.

Before matches the only way to have a good reaction from players is " forcing " them to be relaxed, just like doping them I would say. This is just an example.

I agree that each player has an own reaction but this reaction must be the consequence of a logical input.

Also private chats have to be addressed , an example, if you promise a player a changing in positive he will always be happier than before, whomever the player is and whatever his morale level is.

That's more like a manual cheat than a real conversation. I in fact try to avoid this kind of manual cheating.

The effect of team talks has been reduced over the years, it has a little effect on the outcome of a game, but not a big one. But i love the new system, it gives me plenty of options to encourage my team.

I agree. I also do not believe the team talks are over powered in this years game.

I concur, I used to think they had more say in the outcome than they should have, despite squad morale/recent form. But no longer, and the plethora of options is refreshing.

Very much so, I really like team talks this year. The much larger choice to start with and the live reactions of the players too.

I agree. I also do not believe the team talks are over powered in this years game.

i messed one up last night, told the team to relax then stupidly clicked on expect a performance for my defense which put my entire team to red, most looking angry, stressed or overly relaxed and i thought it would mess the game up, i won 3-0 :)

• Administrators

They really aren't as important as you probably think. They do have an effect of course, but a great team talk certainly won't overpower a better team with smarter tactics. Likewise a poor one won't spin you into a crushing defeat.

Reluctant and Cautious gimme the sensation that the manager is unsure about his ideas while I am not.

Then, within team meeting, I miss the option to let them clearly understand they are crap. Why there is no such option ?????????

Reluctant and Cautious gimme the sensation that the manager is unsure about his ideas while I am not.

Then, within team meeting, I miss the option to let them clearly understand they are crap. Why there is no such option ?????????

I used cautious to overcome poor form, i saw it as the best option.

Have you tried using the aggressive tone? It is always the angry tone if you will, never a positive option in there.

I used cautious to overcome poor form, i saw it as the best option.

Have you tried using the aggressive tone? It is always the angry tone if you will, never a positive option in there.

Really very often. I couldn't care less about their reactions when I am angry.

If they becomes red, well, no problem, I then try to fine 2 weeks of wages as much as I can until I obtain some sort of effort. Sooner or later it usually comes.

Really very often. I couldn't care less about their reactions when I am angry.

If they becomes red, well, no problem, I then try to fine 2 weeks of wages as much as I can until I obtain some sort of effort. Sooner or later it usually comes.

hahaha do you go for the Alex Ferguson method of throwing the tea cups??

I have tried to keep calm most of the time, i use assertive on occasions, and i used aggressive once when i lost 6-1 at home, but i have tried to go down the route of putting arms around players when things are going bad. Its yet to really work for me tho!! :(

I think a team talk can have an effect in certain key situations. If you have told your star striker you expect a performance and his reaction was looks stressed for example I do think if he has a clear cut chance on goal it will damage his chances of scoring. I think that is where team talks have their effect, it's not a case of a good team talk makes your team play like gods and a mis-judged one makes your team forget how to defend it just seems in certain situations it will have a knock-on effect.

hahaha do you go for the Alex Ferguson method of throwing the tea cups??

I have tried to keep calm most of the time, i use assertive on occasions, and i used aggressive once when i lost 6-1 at home, but i have tried to go down the route of putting arms around players when things are going bad. Its yet to really work for me tho!! :(

If your players have decent morale I'd throw in a few aggressive team talks after defeats mate. It has worked wonders for me, players looking fired up and motivated. Obviously if morale is poor then encouragement is probably the way forward.

If your players have decent morale I'd throw in a few aggressive team talks after defeats mate. It has worked wonders for me, players looking fired up and motivated. Obviously if morale is poor then encouragement is probably the way forward.

yeah i might be more liberal with it if the poor form comes back, i tried to tread lightly as for a while i thought id get sacked for the first time in about 9 actual years of playing the game and ive kinda carried it forward, when i get more determined players i think the harsher team talks will come out.

I dont know if this intentional or not, but i do kinda like how you get more of a reaction at half time than you do at the start of a game, seems a bit more realistic that way, maybe its just me.

I go that way when they loose 3-4 matches straight with weaker opponents.

I have lot of respect for Sir Alex. Once I heard him saying that the most difficult part in his job is to deal with rich and famous ladies...

That's not my case anyway, within League 1 and 2 I have to deal with players mental issues only.

yeah i might be more liberal with it if the poor form comes back, i tried to tread lightly as for a while i thought id get sacked for the first time in about 9 actual years of playing the game and ive kinda carried it forward, when i get more determined players i think the harsher team talks will come out.

I dont know if this intentional or not, but i do kinda like how you get more of a reaction at half time than you do at the start of a game, seems a bit more realistic that way, maybe its just me.

I think you've got a point there mate. Now you mention it I have seen a lot more reactions at half-time than pre-game. :thup:

I guess that my concern is twofold:

a) If I leave my teamtalks to my AM then he may well mess them up.

b) If I was to say something in a cautious rather than a calm tone...who really cares? IRL, would saying to your star striker that you expect a performance really lead to him missing a clear chance?

My argument would be that if FM views the psychological facets of a player as so important that it gives us tens of options as to how we can address them, it seems odd that they can then say "it doesn't actually have that much of an impact on the team's or player's performance".

Perhaps the amount of interaction options we have with the players should correlate with how much effect they can have.

I don't mind the team talks this time round couldn't stand them on FM11 but using them this time around. Always using passionate/assertive/calm depending on what I am after. Only once have I had a really bad reaction and that was when I forgot I was doing the team talks and didn't say anything after we had a good win, had a few players come complaining after the match that I should use a different approach to team talks... put them in their place as soon as they did though! especially the ones who went and told the papers about it!

It seems that the easiest way to get a reaction from most players in pre-match team talks is to put the pressure off so they get "seem relaxed". People use it very liberally, but I don't think that's a very good option when you're a strong favourites at home (for example).

My point is that people only want to get a "green" reaction, whatever that may be, regardless of the situation. If any sort of "green" reaction is better than no reaction at all, then that's worrying.

• SI Staff
It seems that the easiest way to get a reaction from most players in pre-match team talks is to put the pressure off so they get "seem relaxed". People use it very liberally, but I don't think that's a very good option when you're a strong favourites at home (for example).

This is entirely true. It is natural to get this reaction after this team talk most of the time as that is the point of the option, but it is up to the manager to decide when it is appropriate to have your players relaxed. The absolute effects at the time of the team talk might well be positive, giving you a nice green colour on the screen, but you still need to consider the context of the whole match as well.

Depends on who you are. I'm playing with a top team so never really use this talk; maybe for the odd individual talk for younger players or guys coming back from injury. My players usually have good morale and determination so I usually aim to get them fired up - lots of assertive and perhaps aggressive talks and demanding they perform. Getting a lot of green responses :)

You have to remember that we didn't really see the effects of a team talk in FM11 (without going to the team talk reactions screen - which even I confess I rarely did), yet I'm sure the player still reacted in a similar way that they do in FM12. The only difference is that we now have a few more options and we get to immediately see the reactions.

I'm loving the new format. I'm still getting to grips with it but for me it's one of the best additions in 12.

This is entirely true. It is natural to get this reaction after this team talk most of the time as that is the point of the option, but it is up to the manager to decide when it is appropriate to have your players relaxed. The absolute effects at the time of the team talk might well be positive, giving you a nice green colour on the screen, but you still need to consider the context of the whole match as well.

Hmm...to me it sounds not clear both the team talk logical flaw nor your explanation.

Sorry but it is still not clear and not logic to me.

Hmm...to me it sounds not clear both the team talk logical flaw nor your explanation.

Sorry but it is still not clear and not logic to me.

Look at it this way. You're top of the league and play a relegation battler at home. Since you're probably on a good winning streak, your players are already convinced the win will come naturally. The last thing you want before the match is to tell your players "Right, lads, go out and enjoy the sun, the pressure is off". They become even more relaxed and cocky, which leads to problems more often than not.

Yes, you do want a "green reaction" from your players, but not any "green reaction" is good in certain circumstances. In the situation described, I'd want my players to focus and trash the opponents early on...I don't want to relax them and then watch them jog around the pitch.

I go that way when they loose 3-4 matches straight with weaker opponents.

I have lot of respect for Sir Alex. Once I heard him saying that the most difficult part in his job is to deal with rich and famous ladies...

That's not my case anyway, within League 1 and 2 I have to deal with players mental issues only.

I thought you found the game too easy ? "Press continue and win" blah, blah, blah

I thought you found the game too easy ? "Press continue and win" blah, blah, blah

You are remembering wrong.

I highlighted the absurd winning stripes done by forumers ( playing within premier ) and that was silly and I am still convinced it has to be fixed. BTW have you seen how many forumers posted the same within last days ?

Other than that, my very first season within lower leagues it has always been not easy, just because I change 75% of the team and 100% of the coaches, the whole training schedules etc..

Told that I am managing to get promoted in my very first lower league season despiting all the above mentioned changes so I am still convinced about that.

I am within the playoff zone now and I have lost 5 consecutive matches because I fired my captain and changed the capataincy before he left so I had every player on abysmal morale for a whole month. That's the reason of the bad month.

As simple as that.

I don't think so...!!

I highlighted the absurd winning stripes done by forumers ( playing within premier ) and that was silly and I am still convinced it has to be fixed. BTW have you seen how many forumers posted the same within last days ?

So, you've taken it upon yourself to champion the views of complete strangers ?.....OK !?!

Yes, plenty of forumers (sic), must have reached 25 different people by now !! Not bad out of hundreds of thousands of units sold ! Oh and BTW you stated (only yesterday) that the "vast majority" of forum users would be up in arms about the game being "too easy"....really, when ?

Other than that, my very first season within lower leagues it has always been not easy, just because I change 75% of the team and 100% of the coaches, the whole training schedules etc..

OK

Told that I am managing to get promoted in my very first lower league season despiting all the above mentioned changes so I am still convinced about that.

I, disagree

I am within the playoff zone now and I have lost 5 consecutive matches because I fired my captain and changed the capataincy before he left so I had every player on abysmal morale for a whole month. That's the reason of the bad month.

As simple as that.

Maybe, if you did not repeat yourself countless times, and then come on saying "i told you so" (like a small child) you might be taken a bit more seriously !!

"press continue and win"... BLAH BLAH BLAH

Maybe, if you did not repeat yourself countless times, and then come on saying "i told you so" (like a small child) you might be taken a bit more seriously !!

"press continue and win"... BLAH BLAH BLAH

Ah, you are respawning old fightings here and I am over them since while.

So this is for you : you are right and I am wrong, you are the king and we are all slaves.

Please my king, be lenient with a troll, I survive just lying and pestering public forums :o

Get over it

Ah, you are respawning old fightings here and I am over them since while.

So this is for you : you are right and I am wrong, you are the king and we are all slaves.

Please my king, be lenient with a troll, I survive just lying and pestering public forums :o

Get over it

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Please PM me if you desire clarifications otherwise mods will be forced to close the thread as you clearly are trying to do.

If you want to be a member of my fun club you must queue, I'm sorry.

Please PM me if you desire clarifications otherwise mods will be forced to close the thread as you clearly are trying to do.

If you want to be a member of my fun club you must queue, I'm sorry.

I don't need clarification old boy !! I've had the misfortune to have been reading your repetitive posts since the demo came out !!

You are a clown...no offence :rolleyes:

It's not only one, it seems there is plenty of gamers who easily win every match...and it's only the beginning, when more of us will master and exploit FM12 it will be even worst.

He most certainly is not 'remembering wrong', the above is just one example from numerous posts of yours that appeared in this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/277507-Will-the-final-retail-version-be-this-easy and countless others around the release of the demo. Where you quite clearly state that you felt the game was far too easy

I don't need clarification old boy !! I've had the misfortune to have been reading your repetitive posts since the demo came out !!

You are a clown...no offence :rolleyes:

Your post has been reported to mods, thank you for understanding.

Your post has been reported to mods, thank you for understanding.

haha..pmsl...haha...oh well !!

"press continue and win" blah blah blah...or is it now "press continue, dont win and forget all my previous nonsense posts " ? BLAH BLAH BLAH

anyway, ignoring the silly little arguement going on (get a room will ya) and going back to the topic!

i was just coming on here to post about Messi and his reactions to teamtalks.

picture this......

Im 3-0 up away from home, messi has scored one, set up the other two and is on an 8.8 rating, so at halftime i praise everyone in the teamtalk, and his reaction is bad! so i give him a personal teamtalk of "im happy with what ive seen from you but i know you can give more" (or something similar to that, i forget the exact wording) to try and get a good reaction, and it works! he is looking very happy and theres a nice little green mark next to his name rather than red!

but yeah anyway, that confused me! but i REALLY like the new teamtalks, they make me feel much more in control of my team!

The Assistant Managers won't mess up team talks, only very rarely, and the AI teams work off the same principle so there's nothing to worry about there in terms of disadvantaging yourself. True, they might not pick the most innovative team talk that could turn a difficult situation around (and then again, they just might...), again not much to worry about.

Archived