What type of strikers do you employ?

basically, i have one player who is ideal as a paocher, great composure/finishing/anticipation, off the ball but technically not gifted.

i'm wondering about his strike partner. i DID have someone employed as complete striker/support because he has technique 18, flair 19, dribbling 16 as well as good shooting stats. he was as amazing in the game as he is IRL despite the fact he hasn't yet moved to a major team. but that's imminent and it wont be my team so i'm thinking it realistic.

my rooki striker is pretty decent but i have no depth in this department and am trying to work out what type of stiker (role/duty) i need to complement my poacher. i am thinking someone with creativity/passing/decisions and an ability to find the onion bag and keep as a complete forward but i'd like some new thinking on this.

my midfield are all encouraged to ttb often, even the wingers, so do i need a deep striker? a strong target man?

most of my midfielders will run towards the area either because they're wingers or, in the case of my cms, they both have runs with ball through centre as a ppm. so thru balls wont be a problem.

any suggestions? what sort of striker would best complement my team?

thanks in advance

that was certainly my original thinking. but as i'm going to have the whole midfield getting in and around the box to create it seems to make sense to have 2 different goalscorers to choose from.

i'm gutted my fave fm11 player is being sought by the big teams. if that happens i never buy them, i only buy players that irl my team could buiy as no-one else is interested.

i'm thinking possibly of a strong target man who can score and create i'm just so unsure.

i looked at deep-lying forward/attack but i dont see how this is deep-lying?

I typically only play with one up front. I have found that playing with two up front tends to annoy me because I typically invest in poachers and playing two poachers up front is not beneficial. I do however also employ 2 inside forwards on the wings and a trequarista through the middle so I have goals coming from everywhere really. That is just the way I play and only ever works with a big club.

that was certainly my original thinking. but as i'm going to have the whole midfield getting in and around the box to create it seems to make sense to have 2 different goalscorers to choose from.

i'm gutted my fave fm11 player is being sought by the big teams. if that happens i never buy them, i only buy players that irl my team could buiy as no-one else is interested.

i'm thinking possibly of a strong target man who can score and create i'm just so unsure.

i looked at deep-lying forward/attack but i dont see how this is deep-lying?

use a support role. just because they play support, doesnt mean they wont get goals

thanks guys. i prefer two up front. reason being i have 3 established strikers at the club and dont fancy selling any of them as they all have their strengths.

i never have 2 poachers, i have my poacher supported by someone with a bit of guile. like i said though, irl he's moving to a big club and i'm surprised that didnt happen yonks ago.

so for the first time i need to invest in a 4th striker (one is still too raw and the 2nd one is a replacment for my paocher so i need someone to play the support role but there are so many options hence the point of this post

I'm a massive fan of the poacher - my usual tactics tend to gravitate towards a lone poacher with everyone else in the team making chances for him.

When playing two up front it's Deep-Lying and Poacher :cool:

Well my tactic, a 4-2-2-2 wide with two defensive midfielders, employs two deep-lying strikers with minimum attacking mentality; rarely run from deep and long shots; mixed run with ball, through balls and crossing. I do this because I want them to come deep or at least make some space for themselves in front of the defenders. However, most goals comes from through balls either from the midfielders, wingers or one of the strikers. This means that you don't have to apply poachers to the poacher role to maximize their potential. The poacher role has them run from deep often and run with ball often and this means they won't be part of the general play as much because they will butt their heads into their defensive line, being marked all the time while awaiting that through ball (which in my experience won't come as long as he is marked even though there is plenty of space behind the defense he could run in).

The way I see it, a fast striker with good off the ball, dribbling and finishing/composure will use his strengths more than enough even though he is not told to do his thing often. This also counts for the other players and their positions. I therefore recommend avoiding the use of "often" instructions and extreme individual settings (max attacking mentality for example).

The reason I recommend a setup of rarely + mixed sliders and non-extreme mentality settings is that players as different as Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Danny Welbeck and Jonathan Viera (developed into a Guiseppe Rossi light) all contributed in their own way towards goalscoring and success with no tactical adjustment.

More specifically, if your poacher isn't a good dribbler, don't let him run with ball often. Hence, don't employ the poacher role to him.

I tend to have most success with a Poacher - Advanced Forward combo, although the Advanced Forward can be a Complete Forward if the money is there. The poacher obviously gets the big goal tally over the season, but the other striker still scores a good amount of goals, but also gets a lot of assists. My Man City team is my best example of this, with the regen poacher having about a goal a game over 200 games, and the Complete Forward having about 0.75 goals per game, but more assists. That said, it's unlikely you have two players of that quality unless you are really rich :p

I like to be a bit out there with my tactics myself. If I'm using a poacher and making ALL my midfielders get forward then I'd get a tireless defensive forward next to the striker.

Imo, you'll need someone to break down any potential counter attacks at the back before they can really start if your midfielders are going to be dragged forward, leaving all that space behind them.

Go for stamina and work rate, etc. Don't bother with marking/tackling as its not worth it really. The likes of Tevez/Kuyt next to a fast striker will help you prevent counter-goals and even set up a few on counter-counter attacks. :D

I have to admit I'm a big fan of the classic Target Man Support / Poacher Attack combo.

I would agree with this. Someone strong and good at holding up the ball but able to make good through balls, with a nippy poacher alongside him. Crouch and Defoe (in FM10) are awesome for this.

Tweaking the sliders for the Target Man and, provided his stats are right, allows for him to drop slightly deeper when possession is lost and allows the best of a 442 when attacking and a kind of semi-451 when defending.

Depends on the formation

One up top - A creative, all round striker. Someone like Robin van Persie or Higuain.

Two up top - A deep lying creative sort, and a pure goal machine.

Three up top - The central one as a creative, deeper lying player and the two either side complete forwards who're quality goal getters and creators.

As a rule, there's always one creative sort in the forward line.

Out of work ones mainly.

I like to play somebody who is small and fast as poacher and somebody with height who can knock the ball down as target man.

I played a 4-3-3 with Theo Walcott as the lead striker (14 dribbling, 13 finishing, 13 first touch, 13 composure, 19 pace)

Theo Walcott

Thomas Muller                                                   Robin van Persie

Samir Nasri - Jack Wilshere

Alexander Song

Danny Wilson - Thomas Vermaelan - Mats Hummels - Seb Corchia

Muller and van Persie played as Inside Forwards, attacking.

Nasri played as a central midfield, attack, and Wilshere as advanced playmaker, alternating support and attack as needed.

Moussa Sissoko subbed in for either as a box-to-box when a more defensive-mind was needed.

Walcott scored 47 goals in 47 games (44 starts) across all competitions.

Muller scored 25 in 47

Nasri and van Persie 14

Wilshere 13

The next season I sold van Persie and brought Pjanic in on a free.

Walcott scored 25 in 36, Wilshere took van Persie's place on the right, scored 23 in 46, Muller 17 in 45

I cashed in on Walcott the following (my current) season after not using him for much of the season. I tweaked my tactic to accomodate the glut of striker I had and he didn't work well with a second striker.

I currently use Karim Benzema/Jelle Vossen/Torben Jung as deep lying forward or complete forward. Lukaku as a target man.

None have scored at the clip that Walcott did, and I am starting to regret selling him.

Archived