Sympathy Buys

Do others buy players just because they have some attachment?

like me I would always buy a Pakistani player as I am of Pakistani Heritage. Even tho the players would never ever play, i send to get eu nationality n then just leave them in my reserve team. Pointless i know but sympathetic lol

Always try to sign Montseration/Andorran/San Marino lol

What are your Sympathetic Buys?

I once had a regen in my tottenham u18's who wasn't good enough for a full time contract, but just before the end of the season when he would have been released he tore his cruciates so i gave him a 2 year contract so he would have some security while he recovered from his injury as no club would have signed him. Released him him 2 years later when he was fit and he went on to have a reasoanble career for Oldham and Hartlepool

I once had a regen in my tottenham u18's who wasn't good enough for a full time contract, but just before the end of the season when he would have been released he tore his cruciates so i gave him a 2 year contract so he would have some security while he recovered from his injury as no club would have signed him. Released him him 2 years later when he was fit and he went on to have a reasoanble career for Oldham and Hartlepool

thats the only situation where i would keep on someone who isnt goo enough

I'd have released him straight way :p

I always buy young players who I like so that they develop to their max potential, even if I know they will never be a first team regular. This is mainly becaiuse it annoys me that they don't develop as well when managed by AI teams. At the moment I have Adam Barton and Danny Mayor from Preston in my EPL challenging Newcastle side even though they're not really good enough - only chose to buy these 2 as I'm a PNE fan.

I dont sympathy buy players but ive given favoured players who are getting old sympathy contracts until they decide to retire before and usually give them a last game before they retire

This. :thup:

Some aren't really good players, but they're been at the club for a long time, and I prefer to have them retire at the club instead of somewhere else. And besides, they take up a HG spot for the Champions League which always helps...

Not really a sympathy buy, but when I resign from clubs, and some other in my staff resign as well, I try and bring them to my new club. I favour Canadians, but I don't really buy them.

If I can afford it, I'll keep club legends/aficionados on payroll til they retire, but if the wage budget is tight there's no room for gratitude or sympathy, especially if that money can be used to pay a useful player...

I do get attached to almost all my players (Senior Squad material anyway... crappy newgens I rarely care about...), but the greater good always prevail, so even good players can leave when they're pushing 30 and nearing the end of their contract

Other than that I just have some favourites of mine I'll always try to sign (as long as they're reasonably young or "playable")

I used to buy players from smaller nations, mostly Faroe and San Marino, but it happens seldom now, unless I'm managing at such a low level they can come in handy...

P.S. if there's room, former players or older club icons can get hired as coaches/scouts...

I try to buy a rubbish player who will have no future anywhere and hopefully train him up to be somewhat okay at lower league level. I did this with a player from India, after finally getting his work permit he went onto have a decent career in League 2.

I only do it with coaches and scouts who are former players at the club.

This.

And I usually bolster Stockport Counties finances by overpaying for one of their players, mainly as I live there :D

i have bought a youngster from Stafford (Living in Stafford myself) i decided to buy a 16 yr old for my Liverpool team and see how he develops and if he can make it

If i'm minted i like buying up everyone with my surname to make a reserve team of very distant possible relations. completely stupid of course, but it's a little side quest that keeps me happy.

I once bought a regen who had the exact same name as me for that exact same reason. Despite not even being League 2 class, he was on the bench in every Premier League and Champions League game.

I’m not sure if this counts, but when I heard Dean Ashton had been forced to retire, I called him into the England squad. Apart from that, I only really keep team legends at the clubs I am managing, like Scott Parker at West Ham, and I also brought back Rio and Joe. It just seems right.

I once bought a regen who had the exact same name as me for that exact same reason. Despite not even being League 2 class, he was on the bench in every Premier League and Champions League game.

I think if I saw someone with my name id buy him too!

Well i come from Malta and currently have a save with Luton Town which now in the 6th season and currently playing in the championship, back when we were still in non league i bought fellow maltese Michael Mifsud and was top scorer in BSP and League2 but had to let him go due to his high ask for wages, also got in first Maltese keeper Justin Haber which was my starting keeper for 2 seasons but is now on his last year and third choice but will let him go due to his age...

Also tried to bring in Andre Schembri but never managed to.. I would love to have Maltese players in my team but atm there is none that will get even close to the subs bench and i doubt any willcome through later on...

I'll often bring in a legend of the game in the January transfer window till the end of the season I find I usually get injuries to key players around that time and their experience is often just what I need to see me through the rough periods.

Archived