Overall verdict on FM08....?

IRl the season is closng in on its last games now. with the summer around the corner and the new season not to many moths away i guess we will all soon be talking about FM09..

I read alot of posts regaurding bugs and problems with FM08. so after several months now of the game beeing released is the game still not upto previous versions.? are there still anoying bugs.?

all serious points of views apreciated

IRl the season is closng in on its last games now. with the summer around the corner and the new season not to many moths away i guess we will all soon be talking about FM09..

I read alot of posts regaurding bugs and problems with FM08. so after several months now of the game beeing released is the game still not upto previous versions.? are there still anoying bugs.?

all serious points of views apreciated

Now patched up to 8.0.2, the only major thing is the free-scoring defender routine at corners - but this can be easily avoided.

I'm liking it, still enjoying and will still be playing it every day I can until the new one comes out I guess...

We don't appreciate how much research and how much detail is on FM games and we are quick to get on their backs if there is a mistake because they set high standards, much higher than other games

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scotty Walds:

Now patched up to 8.0.2, the only major thing is the free-scoring defender routine at corners - but this can be easily avoided.

I'm liking it, still enjoying and will still be playing it every day I can until the new one comes out I guess... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with Scotty.

only GTA4 is going to end my FM game playing.

My verdict:

After the 8.0.2 patch: It's a decent game.

What's preventing it from being any better, in my view, is the confidence system. I just finished my first year at Rynninge, and the match confidence has gone exactly like this for the entire 22 game schedule:

Win = pleased

Loss = disappointed

Draw = disappointed

By that, it gives me the impression that this confidence stuff goes no deeper than a simple true/false system, and anything other than a win will equate to disappointment.

This is especially annoying because expectations clearly aren't taken into account. There are times when a loss is more than obvious for a team, and no one can be disappointed when it comes... yet in FM, they are disappointed. There are also times when that big loss actually turns out to be a draw, and the board should be happy to get a point they shouldn't have claimed... but with FM's system, the draw is automatic disappointment.

Then finally, figure in the big impact that this ill-working system has on our playing, and that's why I can't say the final FM 08 is any better than 'decent'.

And here's where I think it fits into the series so-far(of the three I've played):

FM 2007: 9/10

FM 2006: 8/10

FM 2008: 6.5/10

Cotty Walds, how do you avoid the headers at corners thing with defenders scoring too much? That's the only major niggle I have felt since the patch.

Also, I've justed patched up and continued playing my career game. Is there any real decent advantage to starting a brand new game from scratch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Holiday1:

Cotty Walds, how do you avoid the headers at corners thing with defenders scoring too much? That's the only major niggle I have felt since the patch.

Also, I've justed patched up and continued playing my career game. Is there any real decent advantage to starting a brand new game from scratch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By not using that set up at corners.

I carried my save on and its fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Holiday1:

Also, I've justed patched up and continued playing my career game. Is there any real decent advantage to starting a brand new game from scratch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Scotty icon_wink.gif

As asshole182 said, simply don't use corner instructions with your central defender challenging the keeper icon_biggrin.gif

I used to waste time in life hoping the Fifa xbox series would perfect the manager mode - then someone finally mentioned "if you don't like it, go play woldwide soccer manager" - I did not know it existed one month ago but 9 days 18 hours and "sleep is for sissies" later I can say I am frustratingly addicted, still make it to work, still coach two soccer teams, still have a wife that loves (I fear day 10) and still can't think about how I am going to get someone in 2015 to sell me the center defender of my dreams for less than 50 million - Juve said no -

Am having so much fun I am afraid to go from 8.01 to 8.02 because I do not want to risk any blip in the radar - will probably play 8.0.1 until version 9.0.2 for the reasons stated about bugs so as not o be the Beta tester.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so after several months now of the game beeing released </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i'm really enjoying this gmae.

my only main problem is that rooney is too good.

he's scored 42 goals in 40 prem games so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sums up my opinion of the game perfectly.

Could be better, but then again nothings perfect.

I just don't like it and have gone back to FM 2007. There are just too many big things to me, like the board confidence, the shots-to-goals ratio and the lack of accuracy for home/neutral games in international play (every game played in the country of Spain should be a home game for Spain - that was fine in the 2007 game). Some of the issues may have been fixed in 8.0.2, but by then I had gone back to 2007 and have been thoroughly enjoyed it. Waiting six months to have a playable game is just too long for me. I understand little things getting through, but I am just sick of the major things that fall through the cracks.

That's just my opinion - it is clear that there are others who disagree with me and are enjoying this game, but that it is what my feelings are regarding the game.

I think 8.02 made a major difference and made it a very enjoyable game. If yoy think about it there are so many possible challenges from lower leagues to little known foreign leagues. Ok the board confidnece can be a downer but there is nothing like that felling when you win the league having done it all on your own merits...........and some goals from corners....

Cheers

Simon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so after several months now of the game beeing released </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He means it's taken that long from the box release to a decent patch that makes the game enjoyable.

Personally, for me FM08 is not perfect but there is nothing else that comes close; I wouldn't consider even looking at another. Hang on, is that the wife? icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

i'm really enjoying this gmae.

my only main problem is that rooney is too good.

he's scored 42 goals in 40 prem games so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Manchester United in my game have had quite a few 4-1 wins in a row. This makes keeping up with them a bit of pain in the @ss!

I definitely enjoyed FM07 much more than FM08. For some reason i feel that i have never actually gotten into this game (perhaps due to the fact that the game being so bug-ridden meant that i took each game i started lightly, eagerly anticipating the next patch...)

Now with 8.0.2 i find that it is far more difficult for me to win matches, and it seems a law of nature that if i get ahead, then the AI will almost certainly be able to score in the last minutes... it really annoys me that my players have so poor intelligence that they are not able to defend a 1-0 against ridiculous opponents.

Generally i find the match engine improved on a lot of points, but does it really matter that the passing seems a bit more fluent or that Van der Vaart does some new tricks, when those totally unrealistic 100 yard goals can happen?

My personal conclusion has been that i will not purchase FM09 once that is released. Instead im better of waiting for the patches to arrive and then make my conclusions - caus' boy the last few months has been hell FM wise...

The only real bugs I can see are the scoring by central defenders on corners (easily avoidable, as someone else pointed out), and perhaps the registration issues in certain countries.

I don't see confidence as a bug so much as a promising new feature that still needs work. I'm hoping it will be addressed, along with better player interaction, in FM09.

Partly because of my own available playing time, partly because I got something of a late start with 08, and partly because of the patching issues, I haven't really gotten a good long term career game going, yet. I'm hoping my recently launched game, starting at Shamrock Rovers, will finally take hold. But if it does, I might well find myself hesitating to move to 09.

In the end, of course, I will. icon_biggrin.gif

Im now stuck in no mans land. I've stopped playing fm08 and gone back to 07 but am now having problems with that.

Why leave 08?

IMO the match engine in 7.02 was better and more consistant - the corner situation is crazy and you will have a striker do nothing for four to ten games then score six one match.

Also if you really want to you can set your tactics to score loads of goals, I know people say you shouldn't exploit these things but it's hard not to - you want to win after all.

Also and this is my biggest problem with 08 all players decrease far to quickly and the pysical stats of Fred's is on the whole to low.

It makes playing long term games less realistic infact the whole game is less realistic.

No problem I thought I will go back to 07 - It is the best computer game I've ever played and it will feed my fmaddiction for a long time yet

BUT

Now when I play 07 I miss all the little touches of 08 - vastly improved scouting set up, proper coaching reports and International management (which I always take part in) is sooo much better in 08.

So now I can't play either without wishing I was playing the other.

At least this has taught me never to have an affair, it could ruin sex altogether.

Overall I was really disapointed with 08 but I don't winge and moan. Like a great football manager who as bought your club much succsess you don't call for their heads if they have one bad season.

Unless you take into account that confidence bug of course icon_wink.gif

Archived