2-0 up at half-time - teamtalk?

Guest RhythmMK

Guest RhythmMK

Anyone else getting increasingly frustrated with being 2-0 up at half-time? It's getting to the point where I'd rather be losing at half-time than have another half-time with the dreaded 2-0 scoreline.

There's simply no teamtalk that helps.

Saying nothing = go on to draw/lose.

Saying disappointed (say if 2-0 up but crap performance) = squad get confused and go on to draw/lose.

Saying don't let your performance drop = performances drop and you draw/lose.

It's just lame. Advice?

Players react differently to different team talks. Some would respond to Disappointed. Some would respond to don't get complacent. Some don't need anything or would respond to anything. Figuring out who is who is part of the job.

Almost never Praise in the middle of a game. But I'm generous at FT.

I have found that the best ht tt's are as follows.

Losing = better 2nd half (saying win puts too much pressure on your guys)

drawing = disappointing

up by 1 = encourage

up by 2 or more = pleased

those vrirtually never fail me.

I never say 'none' either at start or ht, it is too nondescript

i also never bother with individual talks, it is a team game, so i only ever use teamtalks

Wolfsong's Guide to Team Talks is a cracker, has some great advice. You should read it. (Y)

Basically, use the motivation for your team and use individual team talks. Say 'you have faith' for anybody who is playing okay, and 'none' for anyone who is 'playing with confidence', 'having a good game', or something in bold blue. 'Don't let your performance drop' for anyone who is looking complacent', and 'no pressure' if they are playing nervously.

Works a charm normally for me.

If you are lazy though and you don't want to do individual team talks each half, these are the general ones I use.

Down by 2 goals: I expect a win

Down by 1 goal: I expect you to perform much better

Draw: You can win this game!

Up by 1 goal: Encourage

Up by 2 goals: Pleased

Up by 3 goals: Pleased

Up by 4+: Great

Wolfsong's Guide to Team Talks is a cracker, has some great advice. You should read it. (Y)

Basically, use the motivation for your team and use individual team talks. Say 'you have faith' for anybody who is playing okay, and 'none' for anyone who is 'playing with confidence', 'having a good game', or something in bold blue. 'Don't let your performance drop' for anyone who is looking complacent', and 'no pressure' if they are playing nervously.

Works a charm normally for me.

:thup:

This.

(additional characters)

According to WoIfsong's Teamtalk Guide 2010: general teamtalk "Pleased", "You have faith" on 7.5 and above, scorers and substitutes, "None" for below 6.8.

If any substitutes have 7.5 or above in their previous game, "Pick up where you left off!" instead.

Worked like a charm for me so far.

i was 5-0 up against man utd at half time.. everyone playing great so i said i was thrilled and no pressure on my 17 year old striker... the match ended 5-0, was a very poor secone half by both teams.. that always happens to me played great one half and poor the other..its like half time was the worst thing to happen wrecking the riddim

i was 5-0 up against man utd at half time.. everyone playing great so i said i was thrilled and no pressure on my 17 year old striker... the match ended 5-0, was a very poor secone half by both teams.. that always happens to me played great one half and poor the other..its like half time was the worst thing to happen wrecking the riddim

"Thrilled" at half time? You're lucky it didn't finish 5-6.

According to WoIfsong's Teamtalk Guide 2010: general teamtalk "Pleased", "You have faith" on 7.5 and above, scorers and substitutes, "None" for below 6.8.

If any substitutes have 7.5 or above in their previous game, "Pick up where you left off!" instead.

Worked like a charm for me so far.

Yep, seems good for me too. Never had a collapse - I might let in one, but I can't remember throwing a two goal HT lead since I started using Wolfsong's. That said, my second half performance is rarely as good as my first. I might score 1 more, but most of the time, very little of note happens in the second half...

I tend to ignore the match ratings and use split view to see the teams morale/motivation. Players who are playing with confidence i'll leave as "none", players who are playing ok i'll use "you have faith". Seems to work for me, just depends on the players

You have faith, and nothing for players that are playing well or playing with confidence. My morale is constantly on superb and I very rarely (if ever) lose a 2-0 lead. If everybody is fired up or playing with confidence/okay, then what more can you do? Basically nothing.

If your playing against a very good team with high determination, it may not matter what you tell your team. There is no certain way or 'cheat' (for want of a better word) to stop this happening as there are so many deciding factors.

If you're far better than the other team, you can even dare to say you're "Pleased", and at worse you'll have an uneventful 2nd half, possibly with some players becoming complacent and lazy. Conceding is a possibility, but your players will take that goal as a wake-up call and are likely to score the third shortly after.

If you're equal to the other team, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, say None, otherwise your players will think they have it in the bag and will ultimately draw/lose the game.

All in all, "None" is the safe choice. "Encourage" and "Keep Going" are two good picks too, but I doubt they're available while leading 2-0

Archived