Women's Football

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brettparry4:

I think si should add women's football in the football manager 09 game because some people would like to have a shot at managing a womans football team </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny. i raised this a few months ago and got the same chauvinistic, one eyed replies.

It should not happen until the game takes games in hand into account in the board confidence.

In the English Women's Pemiership, at the mmoment, Everton have played 10 games so far this season, while Liverpool and Doncaster have played 19 (and the rest of the league is between these figures).

The women's game is totally separate from the men's. Including it in FM would probably require coding it such that the women's league never comes into contact with the men's (IE clubs not in the female game would not be allowed to buy female players). It would probably make more sense to have a separate game for women's football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4457:

The women's game is totally separate from the men's. Including it in FM would probably require coding it such that the women's league never comes into contact with the men's (IE clubs not in the female game would not be allowed to buy female players). It would probably make more sense to have a separate game for women's football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely

Women's Football Manager?

It's not commercially viable in real life, so why stick it on a game?

I suppose it could be a suggestion by your board when you become a successful club with a huge fan-base. An option to increase your profile in America or China, where women's footie is more popular than in Europe.

Be just a cosmetic thing, though, until real life takes off.

I don't think that its commercially feasible

SI will need to get more researcher's for the women's league with only a probable more increase in sales. This is a niche market as far as I can see and as far as the coverage it gets seems to indicate.

The time and resources it would take is just too much for what would be very little return. Increasing the workload, which is what this would do, simply means every area gets less attention. Until the time comes when the game is suffering because there is no women's football, it is not justified and would be a bad decision to include it.

Definitely a separate game, also the size of the database would be affected with another couple of English leagues. Plus there'd be new rules implemented to stop women being signed by male teams.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

Only if we could have topless pictures in the player profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree icon_biggrin.gif

unless they are more masculine than a man

I don't think it would work running alongside the mens game in FM. It would be much more viable to have it as a seperate game. And that would be where the problem liess. The fan base for womens football is relatively small, so from a financial view point, it probably wouldn't be worthwhile, not until the fanbase increases anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saulty2805:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

Only if we could have topless pictures in the player profile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree icon_biggrin.gif

unless they are more masculine than a man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They usually are... icon_wink.gif

When theres enough demand for it that someone makes a replacement database, maybe they might consider it.

Cos you realise, you can do it by changing player pics, turning off facegen, and then a little patching to change the autogen names.

Its a fair bit of work.... but not more then some people have done for other things, like historial databases, changing countries and playable leagues.

It could be done, and it hasnt. Therefore, theres clearly not a economical demand. Theres no point for it to be added to FM and not realeased as a seperate game unless you really really desperately needing to start a long career game by coaching your local schoolsgirl team to fufill some hollywood movie style fantasty victory which catapults you into a meteoric rise through to eventually cross over into the mens game and become champion of womens and mens football.

In which case, I recomend seeing a shrink.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nick...:

In the English Women's Pemiership, at the mmoment, Everton have played 10 games so far this season, while Liverpool and Doncaster have played 19 (and the rest of the league is between these figures). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everton are so far behind with games because a large chunk of their early season was taken up with UEFA Cup qualifiers, and they also reached the final of the League Cup.

Womens football YAAAAAAAAAAAAWN!! Good lord we dont watch it in RL why the hell would we wanna manage them. Imagine the complaining in a womens team. She did this she did that. Hey football football not womens day!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most of the girls who play football are not beatuiful girls . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True in China, perhaps...

...But over here in the States, it's a completely different story(wink wink, nudge nudge).

Women's Football isn't as widely known as Mens.

All I've seen is Women's World Cup. To be honest, the Brazilian Women's Team play like the Men's team. They're briliant.

Banana shots, dribbling, all the tricky stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nobby_McDonald:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nick...:

In the English Women's Pemiership, at the mmoment, Everton have played 10 games so far this season, while Liverpool and Doncaster have played 19 (and the rest of the league is between these figures). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everton are so far behind with games because a large chunk of their early season was taken up with UEFA Cup qualifiers, and they also reached the final of the League Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just everton though, all the teams fixtures are all over the place.

I remember at the start of the season, it might have been to do with the world cup, or it might have been something different, but 6 of the teams had played 6 games, annd the other 6 hadn't played at all.

I quite like that aspect of the game though. A game in hand's easy to work out. It's much more exciting trying to work out who's got the upper hand when one team's 10 points ahead, and the other has five games in hand.

Ultimately, whatever the score, it doesn't matter though, because Arsenal will be 10 points ahead with five games in hand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chinsesefmlover-_-!:

Most of the girls who play football are not beatuiful girls .

So.....

But maybe someone will also be intersted in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. A lot of them are clearly on testosterone. How long before women's football starts looking more like a night out in Bangkok?

Women's football is on the decrease in this country.

The all-conquering Arsenal Women's team has been closely challenged by Charlton Women's team in the past, but they have since closed down their team (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/women/6233506.stm).

It is a side of football that will never be commercially viable, and when a club is in financial difficulties, it is normally the first thing to be closed.

Only the richest clubs tend to have one, and there is very little money in it.

Manchester United, Fulham and Leeds have all closed their women's team at one stage or another, and some may even be still closed (I haven't looked it up recently), so not even the top Premiership teams are bothering with that side of things.

Attendances are obviously very poor in comparison to the men's, and as a result, there is no money in the game for transfers.

Ratings on television are also extremely low, compared to almost any other form of televised football.

To me, managing any Women's football team would be like managing a Blue Square side, just with the names being (slightly) more feminine, and this can be achieved with the editor.

The high-water mark for Women's football in the US was during the WWC in 1999 - sold out stadia everywhere you looked. The problem was that the largest segment of those huge crowds consisted of girls aged 12-14 - not the most constant or loyal fans on the planet. W-USA only made a half-hearted effort to capture the interest of that group, relying instead on an assumption that the sporting world and Corporate America owed the league success. Failure was, therefore, predetermined.

Look at the issue a different way, instead of thinking about how little interest there currently is in women's football, think about how including it on games could increase the number of people who keep up on it. The women's game isn't that bad, and it wouldn't be that difficult to programme it because it would so similar to the reserves or the under-18s that already exist on the game.

For those of you complaining about women's football I think you need to grow up. Its not harming you so if you don't like it just keep quiet and ignore it rather than making it plain to the rest of the world how ignorant and closed minded you are. If your complaint is that the women aren't attractive enough then you are completely missing the point, but I'm sure you have a great time looking at all the men in shorts when you attend matches you do care about. (Also you have clearly missed the recent publicity shots of Natasha Hughes of the Doncaster Belles).

As for DamianY2J's claim that women's football won't exist as it is for much longer, you should probably consider that women's football has been played competitively since just before the First World War, which makes it almost as old as men's league football. The only interruption to this was when it was banned from using any pitches or stadiums affiliated to the FA, who saw that the women's game was close to overtaking the men's competition. During World War II grounds across the country were regularly sold out for womens matches. The only likely changes are in the format of the league, because they do need to find a way to keep the games played closer so that Arsenal don't end up with 8 games in hand like they did earlier this season. If you are referring to a change in the league then remember that the top flight of mens football in England has only existed in its current incarnation for 16 years, not exactly an age.

Not only does womens football draw interest in itself, it also provides an extra market for the mens game, meaning that there is extra revenue to be gained. Then consider that the crowds at these matches don't incur the costs of comprehensive police coverage the way that mens fixtures do due to the nature of the crowd and it actually generates decent profits.

Bottom line, if you think womens football doesn't matter then just go ask around the boardrooms of Arsenal, Blackburn, Charlton and especially Doncaster, they'll put you right.

As i see it Womens Football is football. Football is Football no matter who plays it and if someone wants to see it in the game if they are a fan of womens football, then they are right to ask SI for it to be included.

Football is an international language and girls can speak as well as men. I know plenty of girls that enjoy football... Feminist

I dont understand why women aren't allowed to play in the men's game. I don't really understand why a gender distinction is even required between footballers.

I'm sure loads of women could carve out careers in the lower leagues, and even above ..

If at all, they would contribute some much needed technical skills; placed passes, accurate shooting, tactical awareness to an otherwise utterly boring and totally physical spectacle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most of the girls who play football are not beatuiful girls . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True in China, perhaps...

...But over here in the States, it's a completely different story(wink wink, nudge nudge). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite right. If you've never Googled Hope Solo, give it a go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

If it weren't for idiots like him we'd have hawkeye on the goal line, video assisted decisions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And all the contreversy in football goes out the window. Its all part of football, its what gets talked about down the pub etc.

Bring this sort of technology would ruin the game IMO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

Well actually I do know why, its because of neanderthals like Blatter ..

icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, if you've ever watched girls play against boys in the youth game, you would know why - only the smallest fraction of them can compete at the top levels. I recall one coach in my club, in particular - he had a son a year younger than mine, and a daughter a few years younger than his son. He pushed both kids to really excel at the game - personal trainers, the best camps, the works. His son quit playing half way through high school, and the truth is that he wasn't all that talented.

But the girl - Emma, her name was - had skills that would just make you salivate. She was a terrific little playmaker, and she played with the boys, starting at U-10, and she was dominant. But by U-13, she would disappear for long periods of time during games, just cut out of play by bigger and faster opponents. By U-14, her father had moved her to a girls team at another club. Last I heard, she was still playing. But against females.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If it weren't for idiots like him we'd have hawkeye on the goal line, video assisted decisions... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you'd have extended periods of time with nothing happening while officials agonized over video clips that were either inconclusive or actually misleading die to camera angles. In American football, video replays were introduced, then pulled out, then put back again. Painful.

Blatter's an idiot, but not because he resists video replay of officiating decisions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Blatter's an idiot, but not because he resists video replay of officiating decisions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never agreed with you more icon_smile.gif That is an entirely separate issue to this thread though so to get back on track..

A woman is different to a man, at least I was told that in biology, there would be little point in trying to force the two genders together as it would bring very little benefit to anyone.

Occasionly you will get a woman who is capable to compete with the men at a decent standard but with something like this exceptions can't really be made and so those women have to play with other women. It's either all in or all out, otherwise the womens game would get undermined and the men's game would lose integrity.

Contrary to what some people say, the women's is not rubbish and unable to improve, that is a naive and ill-informed view. A look at women's football around a century ago shows it has potential but fortunately the FA's decsion to try and stop women's football, as briefly mentioned earlier in the thread, meant that the game suffered greatly. I cannot speak for the whole world but in England the game is improving and has grown in popularity, the BBC's coverage of the women's world cup got quite good ratings IIRC. No, you cannot compare it to the men's game, but that doesn't mean it is rubbish and should be dismissed. I also believe that is is fairly well established in America (although I know very little about it).

IMO, rather than dying out in the next few years I expect it to grow in the next few years. IIRC the FA is looking into giving it a summer season instead of a winter season. This way it wouldn't be overshadowed by the mens game and so it would have more opportunity and room to gain popularity and interest.

Like I have already said though, at the moment there is not enough interest in the women's game to justify the time and resources that it would take to include it in FM. Until there is a demand for it that means FM suffers by not having women in the game, it won't be done.

Archived