Quit and Reload After A Defeat?

Before anyone starts attacking me I dont do this. I was looking through the forums and found out that some players relaod the game if the lose a match? Surely that defeats the whole purpose of the game? Obviously anyone can do what they like when its their game but personally i would get no game satisfaction winning the league knowing that i have cheated the AI opposition. Does anyone here do this? Maybe out of sheer fury after losing to a side you were odds on favourites to beat or maybe you got knocked out of champions league semi-final and were desperate to achieve European glory? What is everybodys opinion on this?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I think the failure in cup finals, playoffs etc. make the successes feel extra special. I can't imagine it would be as much fun without the failures.

Having been beaten in the CL final in my firts two seasons, (to Inter and Barce) on '09 I was much happier to beat Inter in the final of the third season. Much more satisfying then replaying the first final til I won.

Earnt my stripes so to speak

I'll be honest I have done it in the past, but when I won the league I didn't feel any sense of achievement so ended up starting a new game. Now manage with multiple teams and only save after all their games have taken place to totally remove any temptation.

i had a similiar situation done the reload game option after i was relegated on the last day of the season, with a newly promoted team id like to add ;-), i reloaded.. won stayed up..the game then felt dirty couldent enjoy it so reloaded again and played a awfull side to ensure i went down.. i then got the sack...nothing acheived but it felt right at least lol

i also once played a 2 player with a freind once and use the ingame editor to boost my boro side sitting 2nd with 3 games to go, and aliadiare notching his 35th in all comps i felt to guilty and pointless so deleted it, said it was a mistake we started again

dont enjoy using in game editors, manipulating the save / reload option, (ive not put cheating) but some people do fair play to em if there getting there moneys worth then fair enough

I was a very sore loser and actually did it often in the past, now that I think about it, I only did reload when I was managing top-teams. I've stopped now though since I realized it took the fun out of the game.

Personally I think the failure in cup finals, playoffs etc. make the successes feel extra special. I can't imagine it would be as much fun without the failures.

Good point , I always lose play-off finals .... Apart from one in my current 09 game that got me into the championship , I was ecstatic :D

I won't lie, I've done that in the past too.

Sometimes when I was up late, already tired and losed a stupid match, I'd quit and play again the next day....

But since the 2008 I'm a new man :D

Never done it again.

But in my last Real Madrid game I felt like doing it.

Was winning the UCL final against Man Utd match 'til '89, when they scored. I couldn't understand why my team wasn't able to defend as I told to. And in the '94 Utd made 2-1, from a doubtful penalty given by the ref and converted by C.Ronaldo. I went craaaazy!!

But the first thing I did was saving the game, so I would prevent myself to cheat :p

Good point , I always lose play-off finals .... Apart from one in my current 09 game that got me into the championship , I was ecstatic :D

There's nothing worse than losing a playoff final, especially when you have finished top of the playoff spots and are favourites to win it.

I lost two playoff finals in a row with Dartford while in League 1 :(

There's nothing worse than losing a playoff final, especially when you have finished top of the playoff spots and are favourites to win it.

I lost two playoff finals in a row with Dartford while in League 1 :(

or when you lose the playoffs with a team that was ment to finish mid table or expected for the drop.

sorry for my typo's. I was the same with Luton Town trying to get promoted when i lost in the semi final of the playoffs I saved and then turned off the game, gathered myself together lol and fought back for a second season. which I was sacked halfway through but thats not the point :p

I save before every game, not for reloading after loses but for making sure any crash/etc.. will not cause loss of data.

But having these saves very rarely (maybe once in every second or third season ) make me repeat some matches. I have not replayed a cup final or something like that and I would not do that since it is not fun if you know you will not lose it BUT my replay was about 3 seasons ago when I ended a home game against an easy team with 2-2 (which I could bear) and even worse I got 2 red cards 2 injuries including my top scorer breaking some bone and having 4/5 months treatment. after the match I saw many red squares in my first eleven and that made me replay the match. I won the replay 4-1 :) with no injuries, felt a bit sorry but could not help it.

Only time I've ever had to do this is when I've been lazy-eyed and stuck players in the team that were not meant to be there, but I've noticed immediately and quit and re-started.

Agree with the comments made. Its pointless to have this philosophy if you want to maximise your satisfaction.

I save before every game, not for reloading after loses but for making sure any crash/etc.. will not cause loss of data.

But having these saves very rarely (maybe once in every second or third season ) make me repeat some matches.

Why don't you save after each match instead? That would reduce the chances of losing games due to crashes.

I did keep having to quit and restart games in me Villa save in 09(usually while losing).

It was due to putting Sergio Aguero in goal and Sergio Asenjo upfront, mainly due to only half looking while tired when switching my 2nd team for 1st team after a cup game.

When i was younger i did used to quit some games and restart if i had lost. As i got older i realized what Defuge said near the top of this thread "the cup wins are alot more special if you don't restart." I also think it shows how well you are improving.

I do confess that in my rushden 09 save i restarted 1 or 2 *cough*20*cough* games but it was before first patch and i was losing about 4 players a game.

Why don't you save after each match instead? That would reduce the chances of losing games due to crashes.

I tend to believe it is more likely to crash during the match rather than in other management screen. On the other hand my current save game going into season 8 has not "crashed / freeze / fail" even once during the last 10+ weeks.

I must admit that I cheated some times realoading a game. But in my defence I must say that its really frustrating to have 24 score oportunities in a final of Copa del Rey with Real Valladolid and get owned by a goal in the first shot they get...

Even with that, i feel so dirty when I reload :(

Before anyone starts attacking me I dont do this. I was looking through the forums and found out that some players relaod the game if the lose a match? Surely that defeats the whole purpose of the game? Obviously anyone can do what they like when its their game but personally i would get no game satisfaction winning the league knowing that i have cheated the AI opposition. Does anyone here do this? Maybe out of sheer fury after losing to a side you were odds on favourites to beat or maybe you got knocked out of champions league semi-final and were desperate to achieve European glory? What is everybodys opinion on this?

The thing is, you have to realise that not everyone shares your mindset on games. Yes, winning by your own power is a great feeling, but there are those people (I dare say I'm almost part of this crowd) who never win ANYTHING. You can say "it's your tactics" and it certainly is, but that doesn't change the fact that for some people this game is just too complicated. I've won leagues and been promoted before with no restarts, but it doesn't happen very often. Sometimes I just want to play a game for the thrill of winning. I've spent hours and hours and hours reading tactical manuals, but that won't change the fact that I don't know how to spot a good player for the right formation and I don't know how to build formations around the team that I have. It's as simple as that. For those of us who are incapable of being anything more than mediocre and perhaps even downright poor at this game, there's no point playing this game if we can't tip the scales a little every now and then. Some people get their kicks from winning "legitimately", others get their kicks from winning at all. And some people may say "why bother playing at all then?" I have to reply "why does it concern you how we play?"

Renders the entire game pointless, it's the same as turning god mode on in an action game

You've got the wrong end of the stick, but people use this analogy a lot. The truth is it's nothing like turning god mode on. Think about it. Reloading is about restarting until you get the desired result. That's exactly what happens in every FPS. Not reloading on FM isn't like god mode, it's like refusing to continue playing the game if you died once. It's like insisting that you must complete an FPS in one try or you're a cheater. It's like leaving a multiplayer FPS server every time you die once because "it's realistic that you don't get to respawn". To anyone who ever died in an FPS and reloaded to try the fight again, you are as much as a cheater at games as I am at FM. God mode in FPS isn't the equivalent of cheating, you just have a different set of values. God mode in FM would be a cheat which never allows the other team to touch the ball and ensures every shot scores. That's hardly what reloading accomplishes.

Dont(for FM09), just download one of Knaps tactics at the tactics forum = instant success without reloading! ;.)

Tried that too. I don't believe in the "one size fits all" technique, and true to form those tactics didn't work for me. Even with a European places-capable squad.

I used to do it when I started playing FM but I've rarely used it since. With the few odd crashes, when I had no choice. However recently I did use this feature when playing a game with Man City. I won 2-0 away against Chelsea, who were 3 points ahead of me top of the league, and was 1 point clear. The power went out and when I reloaded I lost quite spectacularly. Since I considered the causes of the loss outside my "sphere of influence" I reloaded and won, but it sort of killed the game for me.

The thing is, you have to realise that not everyone shares your mindset on games. Yes, winning by your own power is a great feeling, but there are those people (I dare say I'm almost part of this crowd) who never win ANYTHING. You can say "it's your tactics" and it certainly is, but that doesn't change the fact that for some people this game is just too complicated. I've won leagues and been promoted before with no restarts, but it doesn't happen very often. Sometimes I just want to play a game for the thrill of winning. I've spent hours and hours and hours reading tactical manuals, but that won't change the fact that I don't know how to spot a good player for the right formation and I don't know how to build formations around the team that I have. It's as simple as that. For those of us who are incapable of being anything more than mediocre and perhaps even downright poor at this game, there's no point playing this game if we can't tip the scales a little every now and then. Some people get their kicks from winning "legitimately", others get their kicks from winning at all. And some people may say "why bother playing at all then?" I have to reply "why does it concern you how we play?"

You've got the wrong end of the stick, but people use this analogy a lot. The truth is it's nothing like turning god mode on. Think about it. Reloading is about restarting until you get the desired result. That's exactly what happens in every FPS. Not reloading on FM isn't like god mode, it's like refusing to continue playing the game if you died once. It's like insisting that you must complete an FPS in one try or you're a cheater. It's like leaving a multiplayer FPS server every time you die once because "it's realistic that you don't get to respawn". To anyone who ever died in an FPS and reloaded to try the fight again, you are as much as a cheater at games as I am at FM. God mode in FPS isn't the equivalent of cheating, you just have a different set of values. God mode in FM would be a cheat which never allows the other team to touch the ball and ensures every shot scores. That's hardly what reloading accomplishes.

Fair point there. I was really only interested on why people do it thats all. i wasnt having a go

Fair point there. I was really only interested on why people do it thats all. i wasnt having a go

No problems. I probably reacted a bit harshly myself, mainly because I got involved in a somewhat heated debate on this topic last year when people were arguing for difficulty settings ;)

Never understood it.

I like to play a career game so cheating is not an option, it just shortens the fun and would make me feel bad. I'd always look back on the result and think, "yeah, I cheated there". It's ridiculous because this isn't a game you 'beat' or 'finish', it's a never ending struggle to reach the top and stay there. That's what makes it fun.

edit: I'd be interested to see how you change your team after reloading though. Can you play the exact same team/tactics and get a totally different result? I appreciate there has to be an element of randomness but how great is the dice rolling in the engine? Care to comment SI? Thanks

No problems. I probably reacted a bit harshly myself, mainly because I got involved in a somewhat heated debate on this topic last year when people were arguing for difficulty settings ;)

In one way i agree with you because sometimes i find football manager hard but i dont reload the game, personally it just wouldn't make me feel any better about losing. I normally just get frustrated and turn off the computer :)

I have done it in the past when I had lost a cup final but in my defence I was only 11, I remember loading and loading up the game til I won the final, lol, certainly didn't play it properly in those days.

Would never do it now, have thought about it of course when I lost in a playoff semi final in the last minute of extra time but it definitely defeats the point of the game and as a manager you experience highs and lows and irl you can't just go back to the start of the final and say can play we play it again, lol, so cannot understand why any serious FMer would do this.

edit: I'd be interested to see how you change your team after reloading though. Can you play the exact same team/tactics and get a totally different result? I appreciate there has to be an element of randomness but how great is the dice rolling in the engine? Care to comment SI? Thanks

This thread is an interesting read for looking at results from reloaded games. It showed that a straight reload with no changes often produced very similar matches, whereas taking a very different approach could lead to very different results.

This thread is an interesting read for looking at results from reloaded games. It showed that a straight reload with no changes often produced very similar matches, whereas taking a very different approach could lead to very different results.

Off the topic but dafuge how do you set up links with a name on it instead of the whole web address like you did there??

Off the topic but dafuge how do you set up links with a name on it instead of the whole web address like you did there??

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'quick links' then 'edit options'. At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the link.

In one way i agree with you because sometimes i find football manager hard but i dont reload the game, personally it just wouldn't make me feel any better about losing. I normally just get frustrated and turn off the computer :)

Thanks Dafuge, will have a read.

I have done it a million times at least.. But as most users here it was in my younger years :) - Nowadays the most fun games I have are then ones where I really have to struggle to get any succes.. After spending 4-5 seasons to get promoted just makes the promotion seem like a CL-win! :)

Archived