How many nations do you usually load?

How many nations do you usually load?   

373 members have voted

1. 1. How many nations do you usually load?

On 05/03/2020 at 19:13, ChelseaSince86 said:

I have an i7 9700k and in terms of pure gaming performance there is nothing between that and the i9 9900k, any difference is negligible, and seriously, seriously, small.   And my CPU will comfortably run 88 leagues from 40 nations on large DB.  Im almost in 2030 and it still zips through the days/weeks.  Hit continue and its processed almost within seconds.  It has also had every single league loaded and handled it like a dream... so like myself, yours would not be slow

On 05/03/2020 at 14:08, Gee_Simpson said:

I have a i9 9900k but not sure if I should try and run all leagues. I haven't tested it yet to see how slow it runs, I would imagine it will be too slow for me though. 

I'm even running a i5 8600k at 4.8ghz and that still flies i have like 15 to 20 nations loaded and and i have every league active what makes it about 50-60 leagues loaded and i custom load players as swell that take the player count up to about 120.000 

Edited by jckc221013jamie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/03/2020 at 19:18, Gee_Simpson said:

Cheers mate.

I'll give it a test as what may be fast for you might be slow for me, I'll update soon. We both have similar CPU's again as I remember you had the i7 3770k before and I had the non k version :D

correct, i had the 3770k.  Still do, in another PC in the house.  That still runs this game like a breeze, too.  But the 9700k is a different beast altogether

Edited by ChelseaSince86

I have an i7 9700k and in terms of pure gaming performance there is nothing between that and the i9 9900k, any difference is negligible, and seriously, seriously, small.   And my CPU will comfortably run 88 leagues from 40 nations on large DB.  Im almost in 2030 and it still zips through the days/weeks.  Hit continue and its processed almost within seconds.  It has also had every single league loaded and handled it like a dream... so like myself, yours would not be slow

Can I tempt you into benchmarking your PC?  I think you're right about the difference being negligible but my guess is that the i9 would be a lot more effective with leagues on full detail

7 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Can I tempt you into benchmarking your PC?  I think you're right about the difference being negligible but my guess is that the i9 would be a lot more effective with leagues on full detail

It's me who has the i9. I will test it now :thup:

• 3 weeks later...

Every league felt a little excessive for me. I have settled on 85 leagues in the end, there's 30 seconds between every league and 85 leagues for a months processing time. Strangely there is only like 2 seconds between 75 leagues and 85 leagues for a months processing time. Because I have the i9 9900k I feel it would be a waste if I loaded less than 70 or so leagues, 85 feels a good compromise. 

On 25/02/2020 at 08:39, ParanoidBuddha said:

Top 3 leagues for: ITALY, FRANCE, ENGLAND, GERMANY, SPAIN
Top 2 leagues for: BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, TURKEY, PORTUGAL, NETHERLANDS, RUSSIA, BELGIUM
Top 1 league for: All other countries in the game (Canada and Gibraltar included)

-All playable
-Large database, without other tweaks

I went for the above but I also added English League Two and the 2nd divisions of: Scotland, China, Ukraine, Austria, Denmark, Czech Republic, Cyprus (edited in), Greece, Switzerland, Serbia, Croatia, Sweden, Norway. This means the top 20 nations (22 due to Norway and Sweden) by UEFA co-efficient have 2 or more divisions playable.

Large database with players loaded from every national team in the world so practically an extra 5k players added to the default Large. With this setup, I feel like I have most bases covered. Practically every nation will produce a healthy amount of newgens, with every playable nation in the game staying competitive.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

• 5 weeks later...

I'm considering starting again with much less leagues loaded as I'm Man Utd so I highly doubt I will need 85 leagues loaded. Probably good for a LLM save though. Although one of the reasons for getting a top end CPU was so I could run lots of leagues, seems a waste just loading less. 

Do you know if removing that many leagues at the end of a season has any negative affect on the game? I may keep this setup for the 1st season to see how it runs, if I'm not happy I may reduce the amount of leagues loaded by at least half. @EdL @Brother Ben

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm considering starting again with much less leagues loaded as I'm Man Utd so I highly doubt I will need 85 leagues loaded. Probably good for a LLM save though. Although one of the reasons for getting a top end CPU was so I could run lots of leagues, seems a waste just loading less. 

Do you know if removing that many leagues at the end of a season has any negative affect on the game? I may keep this setup for the 1st season to see how it runs, if I'm not happy I may reduce the amount of leagues loaded by at least half. @EdL @Brother Ben

To be honest i'd run everything if I had your rig.  I can't see a downside to taking leagues away, especially if you maybe just start knocking off the bottom tiers of really deep leagues like Norway, Sweden & Portugal if it starts to get really slow a few seasons in.

All leagues loaded, all players loaded.  If you can't do that with an Intel i9 then when can you?

*edit* - having thought about it and because you're gonna be Man United maybe a good idea for you would be to run just all top divisions in Europe and run them on full detail?  As United you'll only really be interacting with top division sides anyway and it might be nice to know that they are all being processed in full in all their glory.

The other knock on effect of doing it this way is that you'll end up with a more diverse set of teams in Europe when using the full detail of the engine (I would imagine)

Edited by Brother Ben

10 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

To be honest i'd run everything if I had your rig.  I can't see a downside to taking leagues away, especially if you maybe just start knocking off the bottom tiers of really deep leagues like Norway, Sweden & Portugal if it starts to get really slow a few seasons in.

All leagues loaded, all players loaded.  If you can't do that with an Intel i9 then when can you?

*edit* - having thought about it and because you're gonna be Man United maybe a good idea for you would be to run just all top divisions in Europe and run them on full detail?  As United you'll only really be interacting with top division sides anyway and it might be nice to know that they are all being processed in full in all their glory

Lol I'm pretty impatient though, I already feel like the days take longer than I'd like to process with 85 leagues loaded, don't think I'd want to load even more :D

As for just the top divisions in Europe loaded and at full detail, I would imagine that would take ages to process, probably way longer than my current setup or even if I had every league with low detail. 

As long as it doesn't have a negative affect on the market or cause crashes etc, I will consider losing or maybe even adding leagues at the end of the season. No harm in trying for 1 season to see how it goes, I don't want to start over again. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 minute ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Lol I'm pretty impatient though, I already feel like the days take longer than I'd like to process with 85 leagues loaded, don't think I'd want to load even more :D

As for just the top divisions in Europe loaded and at full detail, I would imagine that would take ages to process, probably way longer than my current setup or even if I had every league with low detail. 

As long as it doesn't have a negative affect on the market or cause crashes etc, I will consider losing or maybe even adding leagues at the end of the season. No harm in trying for 1 season to see how it goes, I don't want to start over again. 

You could test to find a happy medium, maybe the top 6 European leagues on full detail?

21 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

You could test to find a happy medium, maybe the top 6 European leagues on full detail?

I could try it, although if it's full detail with lower amount of leagues vs low detail but lots of leagues I would opt for the latter tbh, having so many nations active to scout sounds fun. I may even add the rest to have the whole lot running if season 1 doesn't take too long :D

Edited by Gee_Simpson

39 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I could try it, although if it's full detail with lower amount of leagues vs low detail but lots of leagues I would opt for the latter tbh, having so many nations active to scout sounds fun. I may even add the rest to have the whole lot running if season 1 doesn't take too long :D

Yeah honestly just max out all leagues and players, its what i'd do.  You can always take away later

By all players, do you mean add the maximum amount on top of large using the database options? I could only do that if I started again. I'll probably add the rest of the leagues at the end of season 1 if this one runs fast enough for me. In this save I'm using a large database with players added from every national side which adds an extra 5k on top. I'm running around 152k players atm. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

23 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

By all players, do you mean add the maximum amount on top of large using the database options? I could only do that if I started again. I'll probably add the rest of the leagues at the end of season 1 if this one runs fast enough for me. In this save I'm using a large database with players added from every national side which adds an extra 5k on top. I'm running around 152k players atm. 

Didn't realise you'd already started, just add the leagues now it'll give you more players than you'll need

5 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Didn't realise you'd already started, just add the leagues now it'll give you more players than you'll need

Yeah I agree, I'll probably add those for season 2 then. I really doubt I'll need the extra players added on top of every league anyway. Probably better that way if I do find it's too slow and I remove a lot of the leagues, I wouldn't want to end up with an unbalanced market if I reduced by quite a bit. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

• 1 month later...

I've subscribed to Sangue Blu's collection of league files on Steam and run all countries except the tiny islands (most of which are from oceania). I tried running with the tiny islands as well but my game kept on crashing when I got to june 1st every second season.

I run 7 countries as playable (Sweden, Italy, England, France, Netherlands, Greece, Ivory Coast). All others (with most levels activated) on view only. 

I also retain all players from all continents (meaning complete database).

I have a fairly good computer with 32GB RAM and the game is kind of slow, mostly during transfer windows, but it's the only way I can play the game so I'm fine with it taking a little longer between days.

Edited by johan.hansson

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm so I think I may be either impatient or my idea of fast is different from some others on here :D 

I'm currently in pre season in the 1st season and tbh I'm not sure if I'll be keeping 85 leagues running as it feels a bit slow. I haven't played since FM13 so maybe pre season always takes long now? I do have the 1st window turned off so there wouldn't be any transfers to slow it down though. I'll see how long this season takes, if it takes too long for my tastes then I'll probably reduce the leagues by at least half, taking me down to around 42 leagues. Does anyone know if there is any adverse affect in removing so many leagues during a game? @Travis Bickle @Brother Ben

Edited by Gee_Simpson

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Hmm so I think I may be either impatient or my idea of fast is different from some others on here :D 

I'm currently in pre season in the 1st season and tbh I'm not sure if I'll be keeping 85 leagues running as it feels a bit slow. I haven't played since FM13 so maybe pre season always takes long now? I do have the 1st window turned off so there wouldn't be any transfers to slow it down though. I'll see how long this season takes, if it takes too long for my tastes then I'll probably reduce the leagues by at least half, taking me down to around 42 leagues. Does anyone know if there is any adverse affect in removing so many leagues during a game? @Travis Bickle @Brother Ben

Very good question, and not one I have an answer for i'm afraid, i've removed one or two before and not noticed anything adverse, might be a better idea to ask one of the guys who do these vast journeyman saves on the career forum.  @Makoto Nakamura comes to mind

Edited by Brother Ben

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

No. Once you remove a league the game just behaves like the league was never loaded. Back when this feature first came out (FM13 maybe?), there was an issue with add/remove leagues but not anymore. I've used it loads. 

Only you can gauge what is an acceptable game speed. I played 4 full seasons with all leagues loaded + an added 3 leagues, but after that I decided I wanted the game to be more lean. I play in France, and all my signings are either from France, other major European leagues or Argentina/Brazil. So there's no point in me having Iceland or Singapore loaded. It would be nice to keep them loaded but not at the expense of massive processing times in the summer/winter. 

1 hour ago, Travis Bickle said:

No. Once you remove a league the game just behaves like the league was never loaded. Back when this feature first came out (FM13 maybe?), there was an issue with add/remove leagues but not anymore. I've used it loads. 

Only you can gauge what is an acceptable game speed. I played 4 full seasons with all leagues loaded + an added 3 leagues, but after that I decided I wanted the game to be more lean. I play in France, and all my signings are either from France, other major European leagues or Argentina/Brazil. So there's no point in me having Iceland or Singapore loaded. It would be nice to keep them loaded but not at the expense of massive processing times in the summer/winter. 

Thanks mate, puts me at ease. I think with me being Man Utd I don't need so many leagues loaded tbh. Fair enough if it was a LLM save where you could benefit from as many sources of players as you can, but at Utd I will mostly be interacting with top division sides and probably wouldn't need such a large pool to build a good squad. I'll see how this season goes, I'm on 85 leagues loaded at the moment but may reduce it if it takes too long.

11 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Very good question, and not one I have an answer for i'm afraid, i've removed one or two before and not noticed anything adverse, might be a better idea to ask one of the guys who do these vast journeyman saves on the career forum.  @Makoto Nakamura comes to mind

If I'm doing a journeyman save then I tend to just load the leagues that I want to manage in, I tend to have more loaded when I'm doing a one-club save where I load the main nation as playable and the rest of the continent as view only. If I'm in a smaller continent then I'll load all players from that continent but if it's Europe then I'll load all players from top division clubs in the continent.

8 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Thanks mate, puts me at ease. I think with me being Man Utd I don't need so many leagues loaded tbh. Fair enough if it was a LLM save where you could benefit from as many sources of players as you can, but at Utd I will mostly be interacting with top division sides and probably wouldn't need such a large pool to build a good squad. I'll see how this season goes, I'm on 85 leagues loaded at the moment but may reduce it if it takes too long.

I mean, it's nice to see leagues active everywhere, also knowing that if Belarus produced a superstar you can be the first to snap them up, but only you can gauge if it is worth your game running 30% slower. If you've got a one club save, especially as a big club, I think adding the top 8 European leagues + Argentina/Brazil for newgens and maybe a few other European countries that can produce good talent (Croatia, Serbia for example) or other European countries that can be good European competition (Switzerland or Austria or something) is worth it. China is worth adding as well since they can offer mega money for your unwanted stars.

It's all down to you though :). 

When I play with teams in lesser European leagues, I like having say Romania added because I need more diversity of where I can pickup players from. 

9 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

I mean, it's nice to see leagues active everywhere, also knowing that if Belarus produced a superstar you can be the first to snap them up, but only you can gauge if it is worth your game running 30% slower. If you've got a one club save, especially as a big club, I think adding the top 8 European leagues + Argentina/Brazil for newgens and maybe a few other European countries that can produce good talent (Croatia, Serbia for example) or other European countries that can be good European competition (Switzerland or Austria or something) is worth it. China is worth adding as well since they can offer mega money for your unwanted stars.

It's all down to you though :). 

When I play with teams in lesser European leagues, I like having say Romania added because I need more diversity of where I can pickup players from. 

You make a good point there. I'll see how it goes this season but because it's already feeling quite slow I'm pretty sure I will reduce it by quite a bit. I just thought with me having the i9 9900k I would try and make the most of it and run loads of leagues but I guess my idea of fast is different from some others in here which is fair enough. With us getting close to FM21 I want to play as many seasons as I can and this current setup will definitely slow me down if I stick with it. 

I've never loaded so many leagues before and I thought the experience would be enhanced but it hasn't so far for me personally tbh, I haven't even really looked at how teams in other leagues around the globe are doing. I suppose having a bigger database has it's advantages, more teams to sell/loan your players to etc and more teams staying competitive in the game, but I mostly went with this setup to find more regens, then I've realised as Man Utd I don't need all the extra players to find as I should be able to identify great regens even with half the amount of leagues loaded. I'm now thinking what was the point in loading countries like Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iceland, Finland etc. I may play with loads of leagues another time if I go LLM but with Man Utd it feels pretty pointless.

Does the player count reduce normally once you've removed the leagues or do they stay in the game? I don't want it to be unbalanced with loads of players left behind that are still active.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

You make a good point there. I'll see how it goes this season but because it's already feeling quite slow I'm pretty sure I will reduce it by quite a bit. I just thought with me having the i9 9900k I would try and make the most of it and run loads of leagues but I guess my idea of fast is different from some others in here which is fair enough. With us getting close to FM21 I want to play as many seasons as I can and this current setup will definitely slow me down if I stick with it. 

I've never loaded so many leagues before and I thought the experience would be enhanced but it hasn't so far for me personally tbh, I haven't even really looked at how teams in other leagues around the globe are doing. I suppose having a bigger database has it's advantages, more teams to sell/loan your players to etc and more teams staying competitive in the game, but I mostly went with this setup to find more regens, then I've realised as Man Utd I don't need all the extra players to find as I should be able to identify great regens even with half the amount of leagues loaded. I'm now thinking what was the point in loading countries like Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iceland, Finland etc. I may play with loads of leagues another time if I go LLM but with Man Utd it feels pretty pointless.

Does the player count reduce normally once you've removed the leagues or do they stay in the game? I don't want it to be unbalanced with loads of players left behind that are still active.

The player count always reduces once you've removed the league, unless you loaded them in advanced database I believe. If you just checked "Large" then 100% it will remove all the players other than the high rep ones when you remove the league. Like I said you have to do what you feel comfortable with ) 

2 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

The player count always reduces once you've removed the league, unless you loaded them in advanced database I believe. If you just checked "Large" then 100% it will remove all the players other than the high rep ones when you remove the league. Like I said you have to do what you feel comfortable with ) 

Cheers. I've only added players from each national team which is only like 5k extra players which isn't much, apart from that it's just the large database. 

Yeah I'll probably keep a decent amount of European leagues and I'll make sure to keep Argentina, Brazil, China, South Africa and USA for a bit of variety. I'm on 85 leagues atm, I would imagine I'll probably trim that down to around 50 max, maybe more like 40 odd. Although if the season doesn't take too long I'll have a rethink, but I do imagine it will take too long for my tastes going by pre season.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Cheers. I've only added players from each national team which is only like 5k extra players which isn't much, apart from that it's just the large database. 

Yeah I'll probably keep a decent amount of European leagues and I'll make sure to keep Argentina, Brazil, China, South Africa and USA for a bit of variety. I'm on 85 leagues atm, I would imagine I'll probably trim that down to around 50 max, maybe more like 40 odd. Although if the season doesn't take too long I'll have a rethink, but I do imagine it will take too long for my tastes going by pre season.

The game also gets slower as years progress. 

China really has paid off for me, because for sure you will get them bidding 40M for a player who is only average and other teams won't take his wages. 

Brazil and Argentina definitely are worth having for their regens. I consider them as important as some major European leagues. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

8 hours ago, Travis Bickle said:

The game also gets slower as years progress. 

China really has paid off for me, because for sure you will get them bidding 40M for a player who is only average and other teams won't take his wages. 

Brazil and Argentina definitely are worth having for their regens. I consider them as important as some major European leagues. 

Yeah that's a good point also. 

I'll definitely keep those leagues you mentioned in. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

@Travis Bickle I actually started over again with the reduction in leagues in a new save with Utd. Dropped the amount of leagues down from 85 to 50 with 54 nations to 34 and it feels MUCH better. Just fast enough for me now, it feels like the sweet spot. For example, I ran a holiday test with this new setup and it was a whole minute quicker over just the one week.

Yeah people have said to me more leagues make sense for my processor but I suppose everyone has their idea of what's too slow and what's not, 85 leagues/54 nations felt too slow for me personally, this new setup feels better. Wish I could delete my vote and make a new one but nevermind :)

Edited by Gee_Simpson

16 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah people have said to me more leagues make sense for my processor but I suppose everyone has their idea of what's too slow and what's not, 85 leagues/54 nations felt too slow for me personally, this new setup feels better. Wish I could delete my vote and make a new one but nevermind :)

Hence the difficulty in answering that age old question of "how many leagues should I run?"

Glad you found the sweet spot though its worth tinkering around a bit to get it right

17 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

@Travis Bickle I actually started over again with the reduction in leagues in a new save with Utd. Dropped the amount of leagues down from 85 to 50 with 54 nations to 34 and it feels MUCH better. Just fast enough for me now, it feels like the sweet spot. For example, I ran a holiday test with this new setup and it was a whole minute quicker over just the one week.

I think that's the sweet spot for me too. Depending on the type of save, 25-35 is a good range in terms of nations. 

I know people who play FM very slowly. They play a game, browse the net, do other stuff whilst playing, so for them it's okay for it to be slow. Others rush the season. I'm somewhere in the middle, maybe on the slower side. So everyone does what is right for them. 

2 hours ago, oche balboa said:

If you want multiple leagues then i would suggest running it on a small database as you get a better transfer market 

This is a philosophy I subscribe to as well, there’s always a healthy debate around the forums about it

4 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Hence the difficulty in answering that age old question of "how many leagues should I run?"

Glad you found the sweet spot though its worth tinkering around a bit to get it right

Yeah I agree. I'm sure some people with my processor would feel it runs fast enough running the whole lot, but I get quite impatient, it just felt to slow for me personally, and plus the fact that FM21 isn't far away I want to make quick(er) progress in my save.

2 hours ago, oche balboa said:

If you want multiple leagues then i would suggest running it on a small database as you get a better transfer market 

Ah damn, I've already started but will keep this in mind for next time. Can you explain why the market is better with multiple leagues but on a small database?

I'm still happy I upgraded as even though I'm not running all leagues on my i9 9900k, I would have likely found 30+ nations too slow on my old i7 3770 so it has enabled me to play with more leagues.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Ah damn, I've already started but will keep this in mind for next time. Can you explain why the market is better with multiple leagues but on a small database?

There's a discussion about it here

I'm not sure if its proven either way though, plenty of people arguing for and against.  I use small myself, just find it easier to sell players.

14 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Less players= More activity for your players. 

You would need to run multiple leagues. Having English with Small for example would not make the experience any good.

26 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Less players= More activity for your players. 

You would need to run multiple leagues. Having English with Small for example would not make the experience any good.

Yeah I'm currently running 50 leagues but picked a large database. I'm at the start with the 1st window disabled so I'll see how it goes. If I encounter problems then I'll probably try a small database in future saves.

50 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah I'm currently running 50 leagues but picked a large database. I'm at the start with the 1st window disabled so I'll see how it goes. If I encounter problems then I'll probably try a small database in future saves.

Yeah you could run 55-60 leagues if you choose Small Database. 

On 23/06/2020 at 09:55, Gee_Simpson said:

with that many leagues the player count is negligable between large and small

I'm not sure why the option is there at all really, what does it add?  Surely SI know what the best balance is?  Can't they just program it to work this out?

Maybe this thread can help me. I'm about to run a new save on Oman. I'm on a 8gb of ram pc, with a decent processor (nothing out of this world). I do need to run several leagues, some from middle east and some more from asia to have a realistic afc cup, some from africa (to have a good arab champions league), plus the usual ones. Having 20 or 25 in playable, and 20 or 25 in view-only, it's realistic for my kind of pc? I don't mind a little slowdown (if it isn't tedious) on passing days, my fear is having a broken save by 2030 or so if I happens to get there.

(Also, as far as I know, view only leagues don't have so much difference in terms of transfer activity as playable, but just to confirm, is this the case?)

On 24/06/2020 at 21:18, Nahuelzn said:

Maybe this thread can help me. I'm about to run a new save on Oman. I'm on a 8gb of ram pc, with a decent processor (nothing out of this world). I do need to run several leagues, some from middle east and some more from asia to have a realistic afc cup, some from africa (to have a good arab champions league), plus the usual ones. Having 20 or 25 in playable, and 20 or 25 in view-only, it's realistic for my kind of pc? I don't mind a little slowdown (if it isn't tedious) on passing days, my fear is having a broken save by 2030 or so if I happens to get there.

(Also, as far as I know, view only leagues don't have so much difference in terms of transfer activity as playable, but just to confirm, is this the case?)

Select Small Database for this and it will give you a better game experience. 

This question is pretty much related to this thread so I'll ask it here.

How long does it take you to complete a season on FM?

I'm at January now and considering losing even more leagues :D as it feels like it has taken me a while to get there. I'm not sure if it's watching most games on comprehensive that is slowing me down or if it's the processing times, but I have a feeling it's the former. Maybe I'm expecting too much and it hasn't taken that long in comparison to some of you?

Edited by Gee_Simpson