[FM 20] The Nearly Men, Vol. IV: I Am Not A Demon. I Am A Lizard. A Shark. A Heat-Seeking Panther. I Want To Be Bob Denver On Acid Playing The Accordion.

ManUtd1

Spain 2030 - World Cup Review

Image result for world cup trophy

The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed something in the 2029/30 season review...yes, we have a newly-eligible national team. I was a month ahead in-game and updated the tracker before posting these results.

So, without further ado, let's take a closer look at the 2030 World Cup.

The Group Stage threw up some great results, including: Tony Vidmar's Australia beating Jose Mourinho's Germany, 4-2, and Guillermo Barros Schelotto's United States beating Danny Cowley's England, 3-1.

3ad93fa12bbb7aeeb95b9bcb62484866.png da3bdc4d3218bd444e1dc990b58f2e11.png d231cb739fbefd9161343daa4f353d8e.png

In the knockout rounds, there were upsets aplenty, the most notable being : the United States beating Pedro Martins' Portugal 1-nil in the Third Round, en route to a 3rd place finish, beating Alberto Valentim's Brazil 3-2 in the Third-Place Match; and regen-led Cote d'Ivoire also killing giants en route to the Final, eliminating John van den Brom's Netherlands 2-1 in the Second Round, Luis Miguel Ramis' Spain on penalties at the Camp Nou after an epic 3-3 draw, and then beating Brazil 1-nil in the semifinals.

In the end, though, Cote d'Ivoire's amazing run had to end at the hands of Gustavo Alfaro's Argentina, who avenged their loss to Germany in the 2026 Final -- both by eliminating Jose Mourinho's Germany in the quarterfinals and winning their 3rd World Cup, with a 3-2 victory in extra-time.

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-527.png

d028232e06f8bb7f0ea901dc8ca47d98.png

A nervy match, but La Albiceleste had enough to see it out (even if cameras caught Messi, Maradona and Salt Bae calming their nerves with a little bit of Daddy's nose candy during extra time).

FIFA-World-Cup_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 FIFA-World-Cup_-Stages-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

The international management merry-go-round is kicking off...my fingers are crossed that an eligible nation will open up...

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And now the monkey comes out of the sleeve...

Words cannot describe how excited I am about this. Gladbach and the Dutch are a fantastic combination.

Nicolaj-Bur_-Inbox-16.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 The-Netherlands_.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 The-Netherlands_-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 The-Netherlands_-3.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

ColorfulSlowGosling-max-1mb.gif

[Incomprehensible Dutch noises...]

e3bbd1b5a331f76c9c3752782059d37d.png

Edited by ManUtd1

7 hours ago, rodesire said:

Oh that's a wombo combo!

Also, lol, AI thrashing you at your own competition 😆😆

6 hours ago, andychar said:

I don't think you'll be in Germany for very long. It's good to see the computer doing so well. KUTGW.

Yeah, between Gladbach and the Dutch, I'm pretty pleased!

I agree, I think that it will just be a matter of time before we're competing for the CL.

6 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

WHAT????

IMG_20191217_105951.thumb.png.ada47e8a913e22ee81755e5929a5d13e.png

Fiji squad upload please...:D

I was so excited to see them as well!

Frankly, I'm astounded that they escaped with only a -3 goal difference...with this squad...sheesh. 

Squad overview, their best players and fixtures/results:

c623bcfdb0eed7ab1db8fc6920406095.png

43345a746921380c9899a4a8afb158ea.png 190599de2d51d38c2a48d4dc8acd4bac.png cc1cabf7b2f224d1a86676c25d027175.png 656f1467f56aa2d2a1b316985f18b0f4.png

dfc029fc080a344410c72066218e01ff.png 59a189b3b49fdd9741443d0df7fe5d21.png 22de3d86bde1b76effd5b9869b37bf8f.png

1 hour ago, Bitner said:

**** sake! Gladbach is tasty, but with Netherlands together? This is the most excited i've been in a career.

Sadly you'll win quick enogh, so won't be so pleasant :P

Cheers,
Bitner 

We'll see...fingers are crossed that we can progress steadily!  

I'm going to do a Gladbach squad review today, so we'll be able to see how things stand.  I think we're 2 years away from being serious CL contenders.

57 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Oh wow the Ivorians are eligible, love managing them, I genuniley do not know why!

Also that pintball story was just mint. Keep it up.

Thanks, man!  I love managing African sides and can't wait to get there!

October 2030.

Been a bit busy around here, but we've played a few matches. Overall, we're struggling at Gladbach with the combined effects of: (1) moderate/heavy squad turnover for the 2nd year in a row; and (2) the presence of so many youth prospects in the squad.

Overall, we are using a 22-man squad this season. This includes 8 returning players from last year's 1st XI, with all 3 changes coming in the defense -- replacing 2 wingbacks and a centerback, trading experience for potential. We also have 8 new players in the squad -- 6 new signings, and 2 players who signed last year but spent the season on loan.

Borussia-M%C3%B6nchengladbach_-Players-1
Gladbach Squad Overview, October 2030

(A full-blown squad review is coming soon -- this post is not meant to take the place of that.)

We're not firing on all cylinders. And I wouldn't expect to be, under the circumstances. We need to improve our team cohesion, have the new players learn the PPMs I want them to have, give the youth time to develop, etc. We're still in decent shape, though, at this juncture of the season:

76f6b7c0dbabd0c32bc594ec33887900.png?fit=1024%2C330&ssl=1 

Borussia-Mönchengladbach_-Competitions-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Our journey with the Dutch has started well, although I'm still tinkering a bit with the squad. I'll do a full review of the national squad at some point, probably before/during Euro qualifying, when the squad has settled.

For now, I'll just leave you with a screenshot of 33 year-old Frenkie De Jong. My heart tells me to take him to the Euros (assuming we qualify), but my head is looking at his age...

giphy.gif
Say what you want. Age hasn't slowed Frenkie down. He's still got it.

In terms of results, we've won 3 from 4 and have the edge on Portugal and Belgium in our Nations League Group:

ab649aa7c409ce7f072c258a18f7cc88.png?fit=1024%2C162&ssl=1 

The-Netherlands_-Competitions.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Edited by ManUtd1

5 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

it ain't much if it ain't dutch!

nice to see you taking risks and sticking to your principles even when your boards expectations have been raised and your looking at having a more challenging year next time round

There's no question that we're trying to trade -- short-term pain, for long-term development.  

giphy.gif

December 2030.

I still cannot wrap my head around Krampusnacht, and why the club is celebrating it. 

No one seems to be enjoying the “festivities.” 

No one except Jünter, that is.  He really seems to be enjoying himself.  Almost too much, one might think.

He’s rampaging around in his full costume, draped in chains.  Handing out boxes filled with God-know-what.  Chasing the youth academy kids and reserves around the training ground with a birch rod.  He stuffed that red-headed reserve keeper into a sack and tossed him in the river, his shrieks falling on deaf ears as his teammates fled in panic.  

The holidays, yeah?! 

(Truth be told, the ease with which Jünter manhandled the ginger lad demonstrated a strength I would not have expected from a man of his stature.)

Yes, Jünter really seems to be in his element today.  Especially for a man who rarely says more than two words at a time and rarely is seen outside of his costume. 

Krampusnacht?!  Jünter-nacht, more like.

Not wanting to be a witness to further borderline-criminal conduct, I eventually wander back to the offices, which are blissfully quiet. 

Stana is due to call soon and I want to get away from the madness.

I wander down the quiet hallways towards my office, sipping a glass of hot-buttered Serbian rum, looking at the old photographs that adorn the walls.  Moments of past glory, the Bokelbergstadion, Hennes Weisweiler, a triumphant Berti Vogts.  Even a young Lothar Matthäus, his epic mullet frozen in time. 

I stop and admire a photo of the FC Borussia U18s from 1900.  There’s something about the player in the middle of the second row…4th from the left.  I could swear I’ve seen him before.  He looks like a younger, angrier Matthäus, now that I think about it…without the mullet, of course.  But, no…that’s not it.  It’s something else, that I can’t quite put my finger on.

I shake my head, realizing how silly that is.

It must be the Serbian rum. 

I honestly don’t know where Bozidar gets the stuff.

Edited by ManUtd1

7 hours ago, kidthekid said:

scaredKERMITfrog.gif&f=1&nofb=1

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Bitner said:

GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME. 

And about De Jong, he's a Model Citizen, you know it's enough to take him, right?

Cheers,
Bitner

De Jong is sooooo good.  I wish I had him at a younger age. 

I agree that he still has a role to play, provided that his physicals don't drop off too much.

3 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Wow

giphy.gif

March 2031.

We've started the new year right where we left off, with inconsistent form getting in the way of our domestic campaign.

Losing away to Aaron Hunt's Dortmund in January hurt, but it's the away losses to Lionel Messi's Leverkusen, Cristiano Ronaldo's Augsburg, Marco Rose's Stuttgart and Manuel Baum's RB Leipzig that have killed us.

We're only 7 points off Dortmund...because they've been dropping points, too. We just haven't taken advantage and -- in my view -- have all but handed them the title.

Borussia-Mönchengladbach_-Competitions-4.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Borussia-Mönchengladbach_-Fixtures-4.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Better news on the European front, as we snuck past Albert Celades' Valencia on away goals (2-2 agg.). We'll face Frank Lampard's Chelsea in the quarterfinals.

Valencia-v-Borussia-Mgladbach_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Borussia-Mgladbach-v-Valencia_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Nicolaj-Bur_-Inbox-17.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Finally, I'm not one to go on about youth intakes, but a beast of a player promoted this year...meet Luka Bucar. He can't feature for the 1st team this year or next, but after that we've got a brilliant talent on our hands...assuming he develops.

April 2031.

A massive result in London, as we grabbed a late equalizer...and then struck a second time when Lampard's men pushed forward for a winner. We were far from clinical in possession, so this should go in the "thank you RNGeebus" category.

b536a8f825cd589829da2c435565494e.png

Back in Gladbach, we were able to sit back and enjoy our lead, knowing that Chelsea would eventually have to push forward...

And when they did, we struck on a quick counterattack which led to a free kick in a dangerous area. Jork found Krücken at the back post, to head home from close range.

Chelsea had nothing else to offer, so we're through. Improbably, even I have to admit.

c5e9ed564f4fe4300f147f4d2f12849f.png 9ee87d89cebc1b5867d4c9359f7444be.png

This has echoes of the Nearly Men on FM17 version, when Gladbach made a crazy, early run in the Champions League while stumbling domestically.

Obviously, we're not going to tank the domestic campaign...but we dropped to 3rd after an away loss to Frankfurt over the weekend. The Bundesliga title is gone. At the same time, we aren't going to drop out of the Champions League spots, as 5th-place Hertha are 10 points back. Meaning we can afford to rotate players and have our 1st XI fresh for the semifinals (of course, I almost certainly would have done this anyways).

We'll face Diego Simeone's Inter Milan, who sit 3rd in Serie A and snuck past Simeone's former side Barcelona (now managed by Unai "Mr. Arsenal" Emery) on away goals (1-1, agg). Raul Valbuena's Juventus square off against Jose Mourinho's PSG in the other semifinal.

9d0b77aed4d3f52d2d4036a3979da63d.png
Edited by ManUtd1

May 2031.

An epic night at Borussia-Park. We knew that Simeone's Inter would likely sit deep, and that we would need to take our chances.

Fortunately, we brought our shooting boots and leapt out to a 2-nil lead in the first 10 minutes. We didn't look back. A 3rd goal was our just rewards, as Inter were awful in the final third -- desperate, wild shots being the order of the day for the Italians.

9eb2c60b732ea83adbceab4c6ebb28ac.png

Meaning that, when we got to Milan, we had a simple task -- not step on our ****s.

And we didn't. We held firm.

Jork smashed a vital away goal in the 31st minute, and the tie was over. The Italians had no answer.

2b6cf1cc730158dd8f9785fbb1a72b32.png

What a night. We're off to the Stade de France.

We've got a date. A date with destiny.

No, Zlatan. Not the woman from the Itchy Kitty, although I don't doubt that...yes, it was her name. Fine. That's beside the point.

1 hour ago, rodesire said:

You really don't like staying at gladbach, do you?

Vampire Mascots are enough to send anyone running for the hills... 

Except Mourinho, then he'd have unlimited John Terry 

You really don't like staying at gladbach, do you?

RNGeebus hates how much I love being here... That's the only possible explanation.

This 1st XI was good enough, our lack of depth was the real problem. Couldn't fight on both fronts as our domestic form showed, the 2nd XI dropped so many points. They're brilliant but young.

6 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Wow, well done, 1 more club ticked off

Need to keep knocking them down!

6 hours ago, wynter said:

Vampire Mascots are enough to send anyone running for the hills... 

Except Mourinho, then he'd have unlimited John Terry 

Jünter was being nice to Nicolaj, but... Yeah. It probably wouldn't have ended well.

4 hours ago, Bitner said:

I told this wouldn't last long... Congratz :)

Cheers,
Bitner 

Thanks, man!

3 hours ago, Rikulec said:

:applause:

:brock:

1 hour ago, B.W.G said:

Congrats on the Champions League win!

Thanks, man!

A little bit of Gladbach in my life, a little bit of Netherlands by my side...  A little bit of Jünter is all I need, Gary drinking sizzurp is all I see...

PicsArt_12-13-04.31.42.png?resize=930,620&ssl=1

Borussia Mönchengladbach / Netherlands - Season Review 2030/31

Pandemonium ensues at the final whistle. 

The Gladbach supporters storm the pitch, delirious with joy, lifting Jonsson onto their shoulders and parading him about the stadium.  Somewhere in the scrum, a pants-less Gary Neville roars his defiance.

Mourinho saunters toward the tunnel, the very picture of obstinate defiance.  Shouting abuse at the crowd, in response to chants of “you’re getting sacked in the morning” from both sets of supporters.  He is so focused on the crowd that he does not notice Jünter slowly, silently stalking him across the pitch.  Down the tunnel.  To meet his destiny.

After all, this is a man who – having suffered the humiliation of a World Cup quarterfinal exit with the German national team, took over Champions League-winning PSG – only to suffer the ignominy of beating beaten at his own game by Gladbach, just days after having meekly surrendered the Ligue 1 title to Lyon.  A league that Mourinho once mocked, PSG’s streak of dominance broken. 

13 straight titles.  The pundits question whether this is a mere coincidence, or something more ominous.  Only time will tell.

One man stands above it all.  Not literally.  He watches silently from the Gladbach technical area.  Proud.  Triumphant.  This moment vindicates everything that has defined his managerial career. 

For now, no one can claim that the dominance of his Panathinaikos side was a fluke.  Or that the Bundesliga title last year was merely luck. 

This Gladbach side was being groomed for greatness, no question.  But not this year.  Everyone agreed that they needed time to age like a fine wine.  Time to mature. 

It turns out that everyone was wrong.  They were ready.  Here.  And now.

The question now becomes, what next?  For this man.  For the young Gladbach side that stands atop the European footballing world?

Surely nothing can stop Gladbach now, the supporters tell themselves as they stream out of the Stade de France to continue their celebrations long into the night.

Disbelief greets them with their morning coffee, as the news spreads. 

The unimaginable has happened.

Bur has resigned.

The pundits initially speculate about a rift between the club and young manager.  But that is absurd, as is promptly demonstrated by the club-organized celebrations which feature Bur and his champions, even as Bur seeks to place the spotlight on his young stallions.

And soon it becomes clear.  There was no drama.  No hard-feelings.  No break between club, players and manager.

The time had simply come to move on.

This improbably-young Gladbach side are Champions of Europe.  A fixture on the map.  No one can ever take that away from them.

And the future is bright.

separator

Let’s back up a step. 

I wasn’t ready for this.

I figured we had another 2 years of development until Gladbach were legitimately challenging for the Champions League title, a time during which we would evolve into a fearsome force.

But here we are.  I have to resign.  Those are the rules.  No exceptions.

Leaving this quickly almost always hurts, though, because I love nothing more than creating something that will last beyond my immediate tenure at a club.  Sure, there are some exceptions to this general feeling, where I would prefer a quick one-and-done season. 

I was hoping that this Gladbach side would become a dominant force in Germany, supplanting Bayern thanks to the Bavarians going on a bit of a wobble these past few years.

The next manager will make all the difference in terms of whether Die Fohlen regress into mediocrity or carry on.

Of course, there is something incredibly delicious about FM’ing Jose Mourinho’s PSG in a Champions League final.  It’s poetic on so many levels.  If I have to leave Gladbach "early," this was the way to do it.

It’s not you, Gladbach.  It’s me.  And we’ll always have that night in Paris.

Goals for 2031/32:  Looking forward, this is a bit of a muddle.  There are no eligible clubs in need of a manager.  I am also determined to wait for the “right” club job, to support the Netherlands.  In terms of the Dutch, we’re co-hosting Euro 2032. All we have to "look forward to" is a series of friendlies.  All told, it could be a very quiet year if a club position doesn't open up quickly.

Squad | League Overview | Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-52

European Review

The Champions League is covered rather thoroughly in the 2030/31 Open Thread and live blog of the final.

In short, Gladbach are “Nearly Men” no more: 

cf98d1b90716d89da9ce6872af2e4ee7.png

Champions League Overview | CL Knockout Rounds

In the Europa League, Massimiliano Allegri’s Atlético FM’d Rui Faria’s Roma, 2-nil:

dae67897b5141a2a11480268a1df3134.png

Europa League Overview | EL Knockout Rounds

In the Europa Conference League, Jacky Mathijssen’s Anderlecht beat Phillip Cocu’s Sevilla on penalties:

701b60ad3b1ed4c1aa953831f6049c9b.png

Europa Conf. League Overview | ECL Knockout Rounds

And in the active leagues, Paulo Fonseca’s Liverpool won their 4th straight Premier League title, while (Arsenal Legend) Unai Emery led Barcelona to their 8th straight La Liga titleRaul Valbuena’s Juventus won their 10th straight Serie A title (their 19th title in 20 years)...someone really needs to knock them down a peg or two.  Speaking of which, as noted above, Cristian Zapata’s Lyon claimed the Ligue 1 title, knocking PSG off of their perch (we’ll see if that lasts…).  Murat Yakin’s Club Brugge won their 3rd title in 5 yearsAntonio Conte’s Panathinaikos were rampant, undefeated in the SuperLeagueNenad Brnovic’s Čukarički successfully defended their Serbian title…is the balance of power shifting in Belgrade? (Could Arturo Vidal’s Kolubara continue their rapid ascent and claim a title?!)  David Nielsen led Hammarby to the 2030 Allsvenskan title, their 3rd in 11 years (and 4th overall).

separator

Save/Challenge Overview

00ff413d80a324df043ae80dc378bfcb.png

f2565774f614d701236095ae5cb0cef1.png

Cross-posted at From the Cheap Seats.

Edited by ManUtd1

October 2031.

These quiet periods can drive me insane. But there's also good for the soul.

The Dutch are rampant. But that's not the beautiful part.

Sergino Dest scoring an own goal for the Dutch, in a friendly? That's a twisted kind of poetic justice.

90b24f36fef8981b1c1746955099325c.png

And then there's Jose Mourinho throwing a fit when I used Remco Pijnenburg in goal for the October friendlies.

25121614d19776b0136047af68062c5a.png
Don't be bitter, Jose. Let's hug it out.
Edited by ManUtd1

4 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Mendy's average ratings were quite bad. Is he your very own Xhaka? 

Left wingback was a weak spot, and Mendy was one of those "he's young, he'll come good in time" players for me. 

He underperformed in terms of assists and match ratings.  He also wasn't a source of errors/mistakes.

I probably would have been better served with an older/experienced player, but was trying to take the long view!

2 hours ago, Bitner said:

Well, let's hope Malmö sack their manager...

1 hour ago, scousevasey said:

Hoping for Partizan to have an opening, but a failed interview due to complex romantic issues, before a short detour and triumphant arrival at Partizan

We do have a club on offer.  I'm away from my laptop most of the day, though -- I'm off at my in-laws' house -- so the formal unveiling is delayed. 

It is definitely one that needs to be written up properly. 

I'm very excited -- it fits me down to the core, and has strong narrative implications for Nicolaj and the Toothless Bob side of the story.

December 2031.

Six months after Gladbach lifted the Champions League title, and I am content.

Six months of relative quiet. Six months of managing the Dutch, in no-pressure friendlies with an eye on Euro 2032.

Six months of seeing Stana every week. When the Dutch have been in camp, I'm obviously in the Netherlands. Other than that, it is almost as if Belgrade has become my second home.

We're building a life together. Slowly, but surely.

I know that this slow pace will all come to an end at some point. That is the life I've chosen. And she has a life of her own, working for her father in the "family business." She isn't able to join me on every scouting trip to watch Dutch players, but at times our work responsibilities align and we can spend a few days abroad, savoring the sights and sounds of Paris, Vienna...and beyond. Some nights, I'm at the stadium while she is off doing...whatever it is she does for her father. She won't say, and I don't ask.

Tottenham came knocking. Their squad and project was interesting, but not 'right.' I had to tell them no.

I heard rumors that Malmö were looking for a manager, and had started discussing it with Zlatan. He's wary of how he would be received, and whether they were a club that could match our ambition.

I was in Amsterdam attending the Ajax-Fortuna Sittard match when the call came in from a restricted number.

Stana's father. Dusko Milanovic. Chairman of FK Partizan, with alleged ties to Kuća Rata, a football hooligan firm that dominates the terraces at the Stadion FK Partizan. A firm that, according to media accounts, fought for and gained control of the Serbian mafia in the early 2020s, thanks to heavy financial backing from unknown backers, long assumed to be Dusko's father -- Stana's paternal grandfather.

Yes, I may be on a first-name basis with Dusko. But I'm not blind to what he is.

A dangerous man, more likely than not.

A man who's daughter shares my bed.

A man to whom I once made vague, drunken promises.

His beloved Partizan sit sixth. Marko Nikolic is out. (I briefly consider making a brief joke about when Marko is expected back, but for once I hold my tongue.)

Dusko remembers my vague, drunken promise. And to a man like Dusko, his word is his bond.

He acknowledges that he cannot offer my managerial team financial terms equivalent to what we were earning in Germany. At least, not officially. The implication is clear. Money is not an object.

And he shares our ambition. He recognizes that our success with Panathinaikos has proven that, even in the modern era, there is room for clubs to emerge, take on the established elite, and win.

More importantly, he confides in me. And, in turn, makes me a promise.

"My father's way of doing things is over. Is finished. Even he knows that. I mean, in five years, the Milanovic family is going to be completely legitimate. Trust me. That's all I can tell you about my business. Join the Partizan. Lead us to glory. Lead the Milanovic family to redemption. Do me this honor, and you shall have my blessing, my son."

I am momentarily taken aback. He has, thus far, been tolerant of my relationship with Stana. The impression I've always had is that her "work" is more important to him than anything else. And there's a reason that I haven't asked her for details. Well, a reason other than that thing she does with her...nevermind.

The real reason is that I don't want to know the details. Because if I know the details, I will have to acknowledge that our relationship has no real future. But if they're going to make the family legitimate, using Partizan as the vehicle to do so... This is a win-win situation for everyone. For Dusko. For Stana. For all of us.

And truth be told, Partizan are appealing. They're underperforming domestically, but won their Europa Conference League Group.

I call Stana. She knows what this means. Zlatan and Jesse see the potential, even if I suspect Zlatan is already texting that woman from the Itchy Kitty that he thinks looks like Alex Morgan. Bozidar just screams at me in Serbian...I think he's excited to be going home.

We're going to Belgrade.

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-52

That's right. Nicolaj, Jesse, Zlatan and Bozidar are off to Partizan.

My original plan was to have this next move be one that could support the Dutch national team. I had 5 clubs in mind, as "preferred" destinations. Leeds was my ideal destination, but they did not promote. Reims also failed to promote. Valencia and Fiorentina are doing well, so had not been an option, even though they were on the list.

Partizan was the 5th club on that "preferred" list, for two reasons. First, because I absolutely love managing them. Second, because of the narrative implications for both Nicolaj and Toothless Bob. I've been neglecting the Stana angle to Nicolaj's story, and utterly neglecting Toothless Bob after setting that storyline up. Both will kick into gear now.

Serbia is also great fun right now, since Partizan and Red Star are both struggling. Čukarički have won 2 straight titles and 3 in the last 5 years. Arturo Vidal's Kolubara also appear to be an emerging domestic force -- sitting 2nd right now, having cracked the top 5 twice.

Partizan is also the scene of some of my absolute favorite (made-up) hashtags (including: #CrnoBeliJellyBelly and #TasteTheBean, in homage to a fictitious sponsorship by Jelly Belly; and #NoPyroNoPartyzan, which needs no explanation).

I genuinely can't wait.

Let's take a quick look at Partizan. More details will follow tomorrow, after I've had time to truly assess the squad and start progressing forward.

PicsArt_12-21-08.19.31.png

Nicolaj-Bur_-Inbox-2-8.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Nicolaj-Bur_-Inbox-20.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 FK-Partizan-Beograd_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 FK-Partizan-Beograd_-Competitions.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

FK-Partizan-Beograd_-Players.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 FK-Partizan-Beograd_.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 FK-Partizan-Beograd_-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 FK-Partizan-Beograd_-3.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Aleksandar-Mitic_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Christian-Perret_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Nenad-Mizdrak_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Nikola-Zarkovic_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Pavol-Oravec_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Zoran-Grahovac_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

8161945724_021ae735e2_b-2.jpg

Aha let the good times roll, well played Sir.

I’ve just ticked Panathinaikos off the list after 6.5 seasons.. I should’ve won it sooner but kept stumbling in the semis. It’s my first CL win (the AI has, however, ticked both Arsenal and PSG - who became eligible in game - off the list for me). I have since been turned down after an interview with Roma, which is gutting as they were well in my sights. Just hoping for another Italian job to come up so I can show them what they’re missing - though Zlatan is managing Fiorentina and I don’t want to change that. 

Currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for something eligible to come up. 

#LingLongDingDong :ackter:

DapperFaroffFairybluebird-size_restricted.gif.e35204968bcf75125653246ee131a036.gif

6 hours ago, Joe. said:

Aha let the good times roll, well played Sir.

I’ve just ticked Panathinaikos off the list after 6.5 seasons.. I should’ve won it sooner but kept stumbling in the semis. It’s my first CL win (the AI has, however, ticked both Arsenal and PSG - who became eligible in game - off the list for me). I have since been turned down after an interview with Roma, which is gutting as they were well in my sights. Just hoping for another Italian job to come up so I can show them what they’re missing - though Zlatan is managing Fiorentina and I don’t want to change that. 

Currently twiddling my thumbs waiting for something eligible to come up. 

Nice one!  I've found that waiting for the "right" job at the "right" time is key in this save.  Keep us posted!