Likes to round keeper ( or not!)

I play with 2 up front and both of them have "likes to round keeper" as ppm.  Both of them have attributes that average around 15 for the following: Finishing, First Touch, Technique, Composure and Decisions. I am in my 4th season and not once in any game in that time have either of them attempted to round the keeper, far less score that way.  They do score sometimes on a one-on-one situation but more often than not, they hit the keeper.

Is there anything that I can do instructions or training wise to make them at least try to round the keeper when it is an option, as this happens at least once in every game?

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Is there anything that I can do instructions or training wise to make them at least try to round the keeper when it is an option, as this happens at least once in every game?

There's nothing extra you can do, you can't "train" the player or team to encourage the behaviour.  I honestly don't recall the last time I saw this Trait in action and makes me question whether the animation is even in the 3D engine.

I am sure that I brought this up on the Beta and was told by SI that it was "rare, but in the game".  Like you, I have not seen this at all in my own game despite watching over 300 games in my save to date.

Not seen this for a long time, the same with someone chipping the keeper as they close them down!  They both happen at least once a weekend in the Premier League so why isn't it built into the game a bit more? 

i have seen what i believe to be "rounds the keeper"

It generally looks like as the player approaches the keeper he runs at an angle then slots the ball past him, or hits the bar. I wouldnt say its a clear rendition of running around the keeper, just more parallel.

I don't think I've seen a forward literally dribble around the keeper and walk the ball into the net. But as @craigd84 says, I see forwards make moves to one side or the other before shooting several times a season. Attempted lobs over a keeper off his line are much more frequent but, sadly, not often successful. Usually the keeper plucks it out of the air, or the attempt goes over the bar. In similar vein, I think I've seen *one* goal from a genuine overhead kick, regardless of how often they feature in my season stats.

All of these things were more common in previous versions of FM.

I've never seen it either and don't get why SI feel that it should be something that occurs rarely.

Being a PPM should mean that the players with the trait attempt it often regardless of whether it has a good chance of being successful. Otherwise, what's the point of having the trait at all? It doesn't seem to apply to the majority of other PPMs so why is this one any different?

7 hours ago, FrazT said:

I play with 2 up front and both of them have "likes to round keeper" as ppm.  Both of them have attributes that average around 15 for the following: Finishing, First Touch, Technique, Composure and Decisions. I am in my 4th season and not once in any game in that time have either of them attempted to round the keeper, far less score that way.  They do score sometimes on a one-on-one situation but more often than not, they hit the keeper.

My interpretation of this is that the striker will try and dribble into an angle to shoot. As opposed to trying first time shots or "lobbing" when receiving the ball. It definitely isn't obvious enough in the 3D engine but I do like to train this trait to my AMC's or ar a good technical striker.

6 hours ago, craigd84 said:

i have seen what i believe to be "rounds the keeper"

It generally looks like as the player approaches the keeper he runs at an angle then slots the ball past him, or hits the bar

I also believe this is what the PPM "likes to round keeper" is about. And I do see it occasionally, mostly during counter-attacks (sometimes even if my forward does not have the trait).

20 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I also believe this is what the PPM "likes to round keeper" is about. And I do see it occasionally, mostly during counter-attacks (sometimes even if my forward does not have the trait).

I agree. It involves a GK coming of the line, you can't really round the keeper if he stays on the line.  Seen it a few times, however, lobs are rare.

On 12/06/2019 at 12:59, warlock said:

In similar vein, I think I've seen *one* goal from a genuine overhead kick, regardless of how often they feature in my season stats.

All of these things were more common in previous versions of FM.

I think the stats are broken for overhead kicks, I'm not sure what its logging as OHK but I'm pretty sure I wasn't scoring 5-10 per season in any of my saves this year despite the stats saying so.

2 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

I'm not sure what its logging as OHK but I'm pretty sure I wasn't scoring 5-10 per season in any of my saves this year despite the stats saying so.

Yes, this! I wonder if it isn't another missing animation, or maybe those high volleys where the player leans and hits it from around shoulder height are being counted... some of those are technically above head-height :D.

39 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yes, this! I wonder if it isn't another missing animation, or maybe those high volleys where the player leans and hits it from around shoulder height are being counted... some of those are technically above head-height :D.

Can't say I know which ones you mean given I'm a Mac user and was on 2D highlights out of necessity for months, but perhaps it does yeah. 

If it's a missing animation, that's really sloppy. 

It's certainly possible as the animations etc exist. I just think the situations aren't really there for the rounding to happen, nevermind the complexity of coding player decision making under the hood that will affect this. See here, it does exist - 

giphy.gif

It would be nice to see more of it though and if there times where the situation allows it and the player has the attributes and especially the Player Trait to attempt it, but doesn't, I'm sure SI would appreciate examples in the bugs forum.

• 9 months later...

Is it worth raising this as a feature request that we'd like it to be included more? I guess rounding the keeper does happen less often in modern football in part because of how wet, manicured pitches allow keepers to slide much further these days.

(Incidentally, if rounding the keeper is unrealistically rare in FM, then handballs and penalties caused by them are genuine unicorns for some reason.)