Is this a Fm19 regen face?

One of my biggest complaints with 18 were the quality of the regen graphics. Long term saves lacked immersion.

I was trawling through the screenshots of 19 and spotted this guy, admittedly as a manager, but distinctly regen quality, and he is wearing glasses. If it is a the standard of regen in 19, then things are looking up. What do you think?

regen.thumb.jpg.ae2ffcd7a7cd707379848ae8cf09a633.jpg

Hard to know really. Manager faces in 18 were very different to player regens. Is possible player regens faces haven’t been touched, which would be a huge shame. 

It’s baffling that player faces have regressed so much really. In FM14 or 15 they looked excellent. Especially with the 3rd party hair pack. Unusual to see something like that go backwards in a game. 

8 hours ago, DP said:

Hard to know really. Manager faces in 18 were very different to player regens. Is possible player regens faces haven’t been touched, which would be a huge shame. 

It’s baffling that player faces have regressed so much really. In FM14 or 15 they looked excellent. Especially with the 3rd party hair pack. Unusual to see something like that go backwards in a game. 

As far as I know the manager regen was created using the same system that produced the player regens, with a caveat.

I did some dabbling using the regen engine that they use in the game, and it was easy enough to generate a really good quality regen, as an individual. But I was told that thousands of these quality regens would have a huge impact on the demands on the computer, so they had to make some limitation. This is why the manager regen was better quality than the player regen.

The same could be true for 19, but they may have made progress. The resaon why there was so much regression from older versions to the latest was because they changed the engine to 3d. So the player faces were 'true' 3d rather than 2d. Using a 3d engine gives much more versatality in game. More scope basically to produce a much better looking match engine, in the long run of course. Eventually you could see somethihng Fifa level in terms of quality, and I think this is the what they intend in future generations. But it will take a long time to get there I expect.

african.jpg

phil_new.png

7 minutes ago, pdstanbridge said:

As far as I know the manager regen was created using the same system that produced the player regens, with a caveat.

I did some dabbling using the regen engine that they use in the game, and it was easy enough to generate a really good quality regen, as an individual. But I was told that thousands of these quality regens would have a huge impact on the demands on the computer, so they had to make some limitation. This is why the manager regen was better quality than the player regen.

The same could be true for 19, but they may have made progress. The resaon why there was so much regression from older versions to the latest was because they changed the engine to 3d. So the player faces were 'true' 3d rather than 2d. Using a 3d engine gives much more versatality in game. More scope basically to produce a much better looking match engine, in the long run of course. Eventually you could see somethihng Fifa level in terms of quality, and I think this is the what they intend in future generations. But it will take a long time to get there I expect.

african.jpg

phil_new.png

I know they used a 3d engine but the results were horrible, frankly. They could have continued with 2d until the limitations could be mitigated. 

Reeks of a massive oversight tbf. Going all in with the 3d system but not realising the processing/other impact and hence having to water it down and give us poor regen faces. 

If it’s not ready don’t include it half baked. 

Faces per se were not tragic in FM 18, the real issue was extreme lack of variety for both facial features (of any race) and hairstyles, including no beard or facial hair whatsoever. Plus of course annoying bugs like random change of faces and/or races of players, or inconsistency between appearances on profile picture and ME.

So yes, hopefully there will be big improvements on this.

17 hours ago, pdstanbridge said:

One of my biggest complaints with 18 were the quality of the regen graphics. Long term saves lacked immersion.

Yeah, I completely agree with you. FM18 regen faces are horrible.

2 hours ago, kandersson said:

Faces per se were not tragic in FM 18, the real issue was extreme lack of variety for both facial features (of any race) and hairstyles, including no beard or facial hair whatsoever. Plus of course annoying bugs like random change of faces and/or races of players, or inconsistency between appearances on profile picture and ME.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Sheriff7 said:

Also Miles made many tweets about a newgens new designer...

I wasn't able to find even 1 tweet about this.

2 hours ago, pdstanbridge said:

I still don't see anything? I see Miles' avatar which appears to be a manager regen, is this what he means?

Okay forgive me. I see what he means.

Improved yes. but by how much we will see. The hair style is rather static.

2110171214_DoIKSpZV4AASLhK.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.400bede57f3a1c59574fdaa62629b995.jpg

Hair looks similar to FM 18 aka lego hair, hopefully there will be more variety this time, especially as we can't use hair packs anymore.

19 hours ago, pdstanbridge said:

I was trawling through the screenshots of 19 and spotted this guy, admittedly as a manager, but distinctly regen quality, and he is wearing glasses. If it is a the standard of regen in 19, then things are looking up. What do you think?

regen.thumb.jpg.ae2ffcd7a7cd707379848ae8cf09a633.jpg

image.thumb.png.68cc29bf856bd2634b0b7e541b10bcc2.pngimage.png.bb51f1e4f837107e64af198a7a4089fc.png

Making the regens 3D looked like putting the cart way before the horse to me: it will be years and years before the faces need any more detail in-match than "black guy with long hair," and how will they procedurally map the 300 thousandish 2D pictures of real players -  different quality images, different expressions, some from licensed leagues and some not - onto a 3D model? So I don't know why that was necessary, but aside from the hairstyles and the Michael Jackson effects the actual faces were better than FM17, where everyone looked like  the same rat.

Did the face for newgen players really change look/race for some of you every time you reloaded your save? I noticed a few of my guys changed once or twice but I thought they were just aging or evolving over time. Do they do that? I also never really closed and reopened the game much, preferring to just let it run forever in the background,  so maybe that's why i didn't experience it too much?

On 29/09/2018 at 09:18, DP said:

I know they used a 3d engine but the results were horrible, frankly. They could have continued with 2d until the limitations could be mitigated. 

Reeks of a massive oversight tbf. Going all in with the 3d system but not realising the processing/other impact and hence having to water it down and give us poor regen faces. 

If it’s not ready don’t include it half baked. 

Can see where you're coming from, but I actually like that SI aren't afraid to put in incremental improvements to features.  I don't think we'd ever be able to get a feature in that's "full-baked" if they waited for everything to be truly "ready", as I'm not convinced that's even a possible state to get into without it being released to the thousands of users it takes to properly test it.  Some may see that as a bit of a live beta test, which is fair enough to think, even though I think it's a little unfair (bit of a contradiction there admittedly).  Put it this way, I don't think we'd see the game as advanced as it is with features had their policy been to fully flesh out features to their end point before putting it in the game.  Putting them in earlier gives them a better test-bed to flesh them out in my opinion.

But like Miles said, it was their mistake, and it isn't one they're particularly proud of.  Good to admit, and it can go along with several other features that weren't quite good enough on release.  Just gives them something to work on to make them better.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Can see where you're coming from, but I actually like that SI aren't afraid to put in incremental improvements to features.  I don't think we'd ever be able to get a feature in that's "full-baked" if they waited for everything to be truly "ready", as I'm not convinced that's even a possible state to get into without it being released to the thousands of users it takes to properly test it.  Some may see that as a bit of a live beta test, which is fair enough to think, even though I think it's a little unfair (bit of a contradiction there admittedly).  Put it this way, I don't think we'd see the game as advanced as it is with features had their policy been to fully flesh out features to their end point before putting it in the game.  Putting them in earlier gives them a better test-bed to flesh them out in my opinion.

But like Miles said, it was their mistake, and it isn't one they're particularly proud of.  Good to admit, and it can go along with several other features that weren't quite good enough on release.  Just gives them something to work on to make them better.

I agree with incrementals as a strategy and an agile approach to development but in this case it’s an example of where it can come unstuck. Basically the MVP wasn’t strong enough (or met) and it shouldn’t have been released. Either in 17 or 18. 

Intrigued to see how it’s been rectified this version. 

4 hours ago, DP said:

I agree with incrementals as a strategy and an agile approach to development but in this case it’s an example of where it can come unstuck. Basically the MVP wasn’t strong enough (or met) and it shouldn’t have been released. Either in 17 or 18. 

Intrigued to see how it’s been rectified this version. 

Yeah, fair enough.  Seems like they know that well enough though, so expect there will be some changes in that area for 19.

59 minutes ago, GoldenGoal said:

One of the twitter images revealed another regen face.

image.png.e467563391dedb70115a23d1b4ec5cf7.png

Faces will be alright if they can add some variety and diversity and get rid of bugs of FM 18. Hair styles look less promising and tbh they've been quite bad for years, external hair packs really made the difference there - FM 16 faces + debski pack were a great combo. Really hope external packs will come back for FM 19.

Il 29/9/2018 in 01:31 , kingjericho ha scritto:

I think I'll be happy if the regens don't change race every 20 minutes...

It's a hidden feature, you racist! ;)

Some newgens came out as gay, others came out as race-fluid...

Archived