Leagues represented in the World Cup

Heartwork

I know it's still a while away before final squads are announced but I'll be interested to know if anyone compiles lists/maps of what leagues/national football systems are represented at the World Cup. I know it's pretty much certain that England and Scotland will be the only UK countries with clubs sending players (Aberdeen have that one Iceland defender for example) but with some new teams qualifying and others returning after a while it'll be interesting to see if they draw from their own leagues or if they're scattered around countries that may not often have their leagues represented. For example, Icelandic clubs may send players to the Iceland team, and Qatar based players are present in the Iran squad. I'm just interested in seeing how spread out players are now.

Worth mentioning that we'd also need to note which divisions.  It's always interesting when the players come not just from unexpected countries, but from divisions which are not the top ones in their countries.  For the 2014 World Cup, Honduras named Osman Chávez, a defender who was on loan at Qingdao Zhongneng in China League One (the second division; without him, they've since been relegated to League Two).  To my knowledge, this is the only time a player in China, but not in the top division, has been named in a World Cup squad.  I would have to imagine that the English Championship is far and away the best-represented lower division these days, though I do know there were others represented in Brazil.  Could be something to look out for when the squads come out.

2 hours ago, toon_84 said:

I would presume Ireland haven't either.

Have Scotland had any clubs outside of the top tier represented?

Ireland is getting closer though, League of Ireland players are getting callups more often nowadays with the improving league standard (the latest being Graham Burke of Shamrock Rovers) so if Eire qualify then they could have one or two domestic players. Had Northern Ireland qualified we could have seen an Irish Premiership player in the WC too, if they called up 40 year old Roy Carroll. Whether there will be any after he finally retires I have no idea. Wales is one of the lowest ranked leagues in Europe though so I don't think we'll ever see a Welsh club represented. And while they're still relegating teams who finish second in the league, it's gonna be a shambles for a while.

Australia's 26 man preliminary squad consists of players from:

5 - Australian Premier, English Championship

2 - English Premier, Swiss Premier, Japanese Premier, 

1 - Dutch Premier, Belgian Premier, Turkish Premier, South Korean Premier, Croatian Premier, Saudi Arabian Premier, Scottish Premier, German Premier, German Second

So 14 leagues from 12 countries represented.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Shi Xiansheng said:

Tier 1, surely, just as a player who's signed for a club should be counted for that club even if he hasn't played for them yet.

AFAIK the general rules for it are "the club they last played a competitive game for" because the transfer window doesn't actually open until July 1.

6 hours ago, Heartwork said:

AFAIK the general rules for it are "the club they last played a competitive game for" because the transfer window doesn't actually open until July 1.

Mmm, fair point, I suppose even if it's all agreed but the transfer paperwork hasn't gone through with a league, a player's not joined.  But might that not suggest the "rules" could be different for a player's transfer than for a team which has moved divisions?  And would it not also mean that a player going as a free agent, or who has joined a club as a free agent but not yet in the eyes of the league, would count not for the club he last played for but for no club, because he's "officially" unregistered?

On 10/05/2018 at 17:33, Heartwork said:

I know it's still a while away before final squads are announced but I'll be interested to know if anyone compiles lists/maps of what leagues/national football systems are represented at the World Cup. I know it's pretty much certain that England and Scotland will be the only UK countries with clubs sending players (Aberdeen have that one Iceland defender for example) but with some new teams qualifying and others returning after a while it'll be interesting to see if they draw from their own leagues or if they're scattered around countries that may not often have their leagues represented. For example, Icelandic clubs may send players to the Iceland team, and Qatar based players are present in the Iran squad. I'm just interested in seeing how spread out players are now.

I've actually been working on a map that pinpoints the location of each player's domestic club. Will share here when complete.

16 players from the Belgian league go to the world cup, including one player from the second division.

Only one player from the Belgian squad plays in Belgium.

Genk: Danny Vukovic (Australia)

Anderlecht: Leander Dendoncker (Belgium), Lukasz Teodorczyck (Poland), Kara Mbodji (Senegal), Uros Spajic (Serbia)

Gent: Lovre Kalinic (Croatia), Jose Rodriguez (Panama), Dylan Bronn (Tunisia)

Lokeren: Ari Skulason (Iceland)

Oostende: Ramin Rezaeian (Iran)

Standard Liège: Guillermo Ochoa (Mexico), Mehdi Carcela (Morocco)

Cercle Brugge*2nd Tier*: Elderson Echijele (Nigeria)

Club Brugge: Vladimir Gabulov (Russia)

Eupen: Moussa Wague (Senegal)

Waasland-Beveren: Isaac Kiese Thelin (Sweden)

As promised, here's the map I've put together. Hopefully some of you find it interesting. Some points below.

• The 736 players participating at the 2018 FIFA World Cup represent 307 different club teams from 56 different countries and 62 leagues.
  • A few surprising clubs to contribute players are Chippa United (South Africa), KuPS (Finland), Dunajská Streda (Slovakia), Olimpia (Honduras) and Municipal (Guatemala).
  • The club contributing the most players is Real Madrid with 16. They will be representing 9 different nations, the joint highest of any team alongside Chelsea and Bayern Munich.
  • The breakdown of clubs by continent is as follows: 179 from Europe, 57 from Asia, 32 from North America, 24 from South America, 12 from Africa, 3 from Oceania. 

13 hours ago, GylfiAsCharged said:

As promised, here's the map I've put together. Hopefully some of you find it interesting. Some points below.

• Players participating at the 2018 FIFA World Cup represent 307 different club teams from 56 different countries and 62 leagues.
  • A few surprising clubs to contribute players are Chippa United (South Africa), KuPS (Finland), Dunajská Streda (Slovakia), Olimpia (Honduras) and Municipal (Guatemala).
  • The club contributing the most players is Real Madrid with 16. They will be representing 9 different nations, the joint highest of any team alongside Chelsea and Bayern Munich.
  • The breakdown of clubs by continent is as follows: 179 from Europe, 57 from Asia, 32 from North America, 24 from South America, 12 from Africa, 3 from Oceania. 

No Carrasco at Dalian?

2 hours ago, GylfiAsCharged said:

Good spot - have updated.

I should have mentioned that it's possible a few players are missing, so if anyone spots any mistakes please let me know.

Really good job!

I think you're missing Mahrez at Leicester 

3 hours ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

Cristian Gamboa, Costa Rica & Celtic (not very often)

Strange, thought I included him. Have fixed, good spot!

6 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Really good job!

I think you're missing Mahrez at Leicester 

Thanks mate. Algeria didn't qualify! :D 

7 hours ago, FaceCrusher said:

The player from Porto is Ricardo Pereira, not Danilo Pereira. Danilo is injured.

My bad, have fixed. Porto sure love a Pereira don't they? Danilo, Ricardo, Alvaro, Maxi... Probably others I can't remember too.

3 minutes ago, GylfiAsCharged said:

My bad, have fixed. Porto sure love a Pereira don't they? Danilo, Ricardo, Alvaro, Maxi... Probably others I can't remember too.

And recent manager Vítor Pereira. Pereira is the 4th most common Portuguese surname and also very popular in S. America.

2 minutes ago, FaceCrusher said:

And recent manager Vítor Pereira. Pereira is the 4th most common Portuguese surname and also very popular in S. America.

Indeed, it's one of the most popular surnames in Brazil.

Also, Ferreira (another very popular surname) is the same as 'Smith' in English.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, only Sweden and Senegal don't have at least one player from their domestic league. Senegal oddly have one from Guinea, although Iceland do have one player in the Swedish league (as well as one player for Valur in Iceland).

On 16/06/2018 at 12:30, Heartwork said:

As far as I can tell, only Sweden and Senegal have at least one player from their domestic league. Senegal oddly have one from Guinea, although Iceland do have one player in the Swedish league (as well as one player for Valur in Iceland).

Iran has a player from the Swedish league as well, so I think it is represented with 2 players.

5 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

There are now 3 Iceland players playing in their domestic league - Kari Arnason is now at Vikingur and Ólafur Ingi Skúlason at Fylkir after leaving Turkey.

Aye but in the World Cup squads, FIFA considers them as being from the last team they played for in the 2017/18 season, so, for example, Ruben Loftus-Cheek is considered a Crystal Palace player even though his loan expires during the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, FaceCrusher said:

So unless my online sources are mistaken, Korea's Ju Se-Jong and Yun Young-Sun, who played today vs Germany, currently play in the Korean 2nd tier (Asan Mugunghwa and Seongnam respectively), which is strange.

Seongnam are a big club, despite playing in second division (think of when Marcos played for Brazil's NT despite Palmeiras being in Série B), while the other club is a military club, I think, so rules for them must be different.

Archived