2. Total Barcelona - Cruyff 1992

Related image

“Johan Cruyff painted the chapel, [and] Barcelona coaches since merely restore or improve it” – Pep Guardiola

It is rare to find great players who later became successful managers. Legends like Maradona, Stoichkov, Paul Ince and Tony Adams were phenomenal players, but floundered in the managerial careers. On the other hand, managers like Sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho and Villa-Boas were relative unknowns until guiding their clubs: Man Utd, Inter, Real Madrid to glory. An anomaly to this generalization - the man himself - Hendrik Johannes Cruijff.

Cruyff was the most famous exponent of the football philosophy known as Total Football explored by Rinus Michels, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in football history.

At Barça, Cruyff brought in players such as Pep Guardiola, José Mari Bakero, Txiki Begiristain, Andoni Goikoetxea, Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Romário, Gheorghe Hagi and Hristo Stoichkov. With Cruyff, Barça experienced a glorious era. In the space of five years (1989–1994), he led the club to four European finals (two European Cup Winners' Cup finals and two European Cup/UEFA Champions League finals). Cruyff's track record includes one European Cup, four Liga championships, one Cup Winners' Cup, one Copa del Rey and four Supercopa de España.

Let's get into how this wonderful tactic worked...

The 14 Rules

To understand this tactic, we must understand the principles behind it. These are the "14 commandments" Cruyff laid out in this tactical philosophy:

1) Team player – 'To accomplish things, you have to do them together.';
2) Responsibility – 'Take care of things as if they were your own.';
3) Respect – 'Respect one another.';
4) Integration – 'Involve others in your activities.';
5) Initiative – 'Dare to try something new.';
6) Coaching – 'Always help each other within a team.';
7) Personality – 'Be yourself.';
8) Social involvement – 'Interaction is crucial, both in sport and in life.';
9) Technique – 'Know the basics.';
10) Tactics – 'Know what to do.';
11) Development – 'Sport strengthens body and soul.';
12) Learning – 'Try to learn something new every day.';
13) Play together – 'An essential part of any game.';
14) Creativity – 'Bring beauty to the sport.'

To sum up, 

• Proactiveness
  • Complete players who are both technically adept and shows an intelligent approach
  • Attacking and defending as one (fluidity)
  • Possession
  • Being creative

Structure, shape, mentality

In theory, this is how they lined up:

1992 gegen Sampdoria

Credits to https://spielverlagerung.de/ .

A logical deduction would be that the formation in FM18 would be a 3-5-1-1.

image.thumb.png.afcd990ab153d86539f30ce4528554a7.png

Player roles and instructions

Sweeper Keeper (Support): Distribute the ball to Playmaker, Distribute Quickly

Central Defender (Defend): N/A

Libero (Support): Dribble More, More Direct Passes

Right Winger (Attack): N/A

Central Midfielder (Support): Hold Position, Pass it Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes

Deep-lying Playmaker (Defend): Close down less

Mezzala (Support): Dribble more, Run wide with Ball, More Direct Passes

Left Inverted Winger (Attack): Roam from position, Sit Narrower

Attacking Midfielder (Attack): Hold up Ball, Roam from Position, Move into Channels, Run wide with Ball

False Nine (Support): Roam from position

What were some of the reasons for choosing these roles?

From the article http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/ :

"Laudrup who acted in many ways as a false 9."

"Salinas played particularly close to the right touchline."

"Bakero moved away from his no. 10 space and commonly drifted forwards and towards the right half-space."

"Juan Carlos consistently moved towards the left touchline."

"Eusebio acted as more of a standard 8 on the right."

"Koeman was the central of defence and showed great ball-playing ability in a libero role."

image.png.9452e64af34f73bdfae89b29e7f77405.png

Average team position - with a 3-4-3 formation and a midfield diamond - (& the no.10 drifting wide)

Resources

To end off, here are some inspirational quotes by the man himself:

Image result for cruyff portrait photo

RIP Johan Cruyff (1947 - 2016) :(

But his legacy is remembered, with the likes of Guardiola, Enrique & now Valverde continuing his sacred work at Barcelona, maintaining & evolving the chapel he built!

:hammer:

FIN

"Goodbye ... and Goodnight!"

:Bowen:

Done by @goqs06, based on this thread here:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/431392-vote-for-tactical-replications-part-2-round-2/

Edited by goqs06

Nice try. But I do not like the formation and the instructions. 

For example, you have Bakero's role as Attack duty with roaming and moving into channels. That is not what he did at all. Bakero was a pivot during build up and then he attacked the box with later runs in the final third. 

Juan Carlos and Eusebio were either Carrileros or Inverted Wingbacks (from the WB positions). However, if using Carrileros, then the wingers need to be higher up.

Your missing short passing, play out of defense and there was no room to be more expressive. In fact it was the opposite - be more disciplined.

These are my first thoughts.

12 hours ago, yonko said:

For example, you have Bakero's role as Attack duty with roaming and moving into channels. That is not what he did at all. Bakero was a pivot during build up and then he attacked the box with later runs in the final third. 

Juan Carlos and Eusebio were either Carrileros or Inverted Wingbacks (from the WB positions). However, if using Carrileros, then the wingers need to be higher up.

Your missing short passing, play out of defense and there was no room to be more expressive. In fact it was the opposite - be more disciplined.

Feedback is important - I will try out adding the PIs "Short Passing" & "Be more expressive". Perhaps changing Bakero to a AM (S) will work?

6 hours ago, yonko said:

@felley That's true. However, there are some new roles that can be used now to recreate that.

I think I will try out the Carrilero for the Eusebio role.

29 minutes ago, FlairRA said:

Both of these articles are great, it's always nice to see different takes on the same tactic isn't it? A bit more analysis in-game would be great though!

Indeed. That's something I'll be doing in the next few days.

The number '10' or in Cruyff team the '6' should really hold position and when he is gifted the ball he has his back to the opponents goal to spray passes and build up play. When there in the final stage, he will help the striker. I would place him in the middle, because your average team positions doesn't show a diamond. Diamonds don't move or it loses its effect on the pitch. 

I am very curious how you will develop it more and more.

10 hours ago, goqs06 said:

Feedback is important - I will try out adding the PIs "Short Passing" & "Be more expressive". Perhaps changing Bakero to a AM (S) will work?

I think I will try out the Carrilero for the Eusebio role.

Be more discipline.

Carrilero roles for both MCs

On 3/30/2018 at 16:27, yonko said:

i agree with the bakero element.

i think juan carlos played alot wider than eusebio, eusebio could be a centre mid but i think juan carlos was more of an inverted wing back as you say.  

i prefer the use of libero in this tactic i watched the barcelona 1-0 sampdoria tactic recently and koeman dictates play from behind the back line. often stepping into midfield next to guardiola.

i think this is a really good effort. only the juan carlos role i would question and thats purely opinion

9 hours ago, Margent2 said:

i prefer the use of libero in this tactic i watched the barcelona 1-0 sampdoria tactic recently and koeman dictates play from behind the back line. often stepping into midfield next to guardiola.

Do you have a link to the video?

On 3/30/2018 at 15:23, goqs06 said:

Related image

“Johan Cruyff painted the chapel, [and] Barcelona coaches since merely restore or improve it” – Pep Guardiola

It is rare to find great players who later became successful managers. Legends like Maradona, Stoichkov, Paul Ince and Tony Adams were phenomenal players, but floundered in the managerial careers. On the other hand, managers like Sir Alex Ferguson, Mourinho and Villa-Boas were relative unknowns until guiding their clubs: Man Utd, Inter, Real Madrid to glory. An anomaly to this generalization - the man himself - Hendrik Johannes Cruijff.

Cruyff was the most famous exponent of the football philosophy known as Total Football explored by Rinus Michels, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in football history.

At Barça, Cruyff brought in players such as Pep Guardiola, José Mari Bakero, Txiki Begiristain, Andoni Goikoetxea, Ronald Koeman, Michael Laudrup, Romário, Gheorghe Hagi and Hristo Stoichkov. With Cruyff, Barça experienced a glorious era. In the space of five years (1989–1994), he led the club to four European finals (two European Cup Winners' Cup finals and two European Cup/UEFA Champions League finals). Cruyff's track record includes one European Cup, four Liga championships, one Cup Winners' Cup, one Copa del Rey and four Supercopa de España.

Let's get into how this wonderful tactic worked...

The 14 Rules

To understand this tactic, we must understand the principles behind it. These are the "14 commandments" Cruyff laid out in this tactical philosophy:

1) Team player – 'To accomplish things, you have to do them together.';
2) Responsibility – 'Take care of things as if they were your own.';
3) Respect – 'Respect one another.';
4) Integration – 'Involve others in your activities.';
5) Initiative – 'Dare to try something new.';
6) Coaching – 'Always help each other within a team.';
7) Personality – 'Be yourself.';
8) Social involvement – 'Interaction is crucial, both in sport and in life.';
9) Technique – 'Know the basics.';
10) Tactics – 'Know what to do.';
11) Development – 'Sport strengthens body and soul.';
12) Learning – 'Try to learn something new every day.';
13) Play together – 'An essential part of any game.';
14) Creativity – 'Bring beauty to the sport.'

To sum up, 

• Proactiveness
  • Complete players who are both technically adept and shows an intelligent approach
  • Attacking and defending as one (fluidity)
  • Possession
  • Being creative

Structure, shape, mentality

In theory, this is how they lined up:

1992 gegen Sampdoria

Credits to https://spielverlagerung.de/ .

A logical deduction would be that the formation in FM18 would be a 3-5-1-1.

image.thumb.png.afcd990ab153d86539f30ce4528554a7.png

Player roles and instructions

Sweeper Keeper (Support): Distribute the ball to Playmaker, Distribute Quickly

Libero (Support): Dribble More, More Direct Passes

Right Winger (Attack): N/A

Central Midfielder (Support): Hold Position, Pass it Shorter, Fewer Risky Passes

Deep-lying Playmaker (Defend): Close down less

Mezzala (Support): Dribble more, Run wide with Ball, More Direct Passes

Left Inverted Winger (Attack): Roam from position, Sit Narrower

Attacking Midfielder (Attack): Hold up Ball, Roam from Position, Move into Channels, Run wide with Ball

False Nine (Support): Roam from position

What were some of the reasons for choosing these roles?

From the article http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/ :

"Laudrup who acted in many ways as a false 9."

"Salinas played particularly close to the right touchline."

"Bakero moved away from his no. 10 space and commonly drifted forwards and towards the right half-space."

"Juan Carlos consistently moved towards the left touchline."

"Eusebio acted as more of a standard 8 on the right."

"Koeman was the central of defence and showed great ball-playing ability in a libero role."

image.png.9452e64af34f73bdfae89b29e7f77405.png

Average team position - with a 3-4-3 formation and a midfield diamond - (& the no.10 drifting wide)

Resources

To end off, here are some inspirational quotes by the man himself:

Image result for cruyff portrait photo

RIP Johan Cruyff (1947 - 2016) :(

But his legacy is remembered, with the likes of Guardiola, Enrique & now Valverde continuing his sacred work at Barcelona, maintaining & evolving the chapel he built!

:hammer:

FIN

"Goodbye ... and Goodnight!"

:Bowen:

Done by @goqs06, based on this thread here:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/431392-vote-for-tactical-replications-part-2-round-2/

This is a very good tactic,and its always nice to see a different take on a tactic.also important to note that Coaches often play different variations if the same tactic.

However,In game tactic analysis would be deeply appreciated.

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.003a18de52700bab618e33cefcfa8171.png

On 4/2/2018 at 15:44, denen123 said:

This is a very good tactic,and its always nice to see a different take on a tactic.also important to note that Coaches often play different variations if the same tactic.

However,In game tactic analysis would be deeply appreciated.

Attacking phase

7 hours ago, goqs06 said:

image.thumb.png.003a18de52700bab618e33cefcfa8171.png

Attacking phase

Sorry, is this after u've worked on the tactic or its like the original. If so, I WS hoping to see the wider movement of the AM(bakero) as shown by your PI "roam from position" when his teammate has the ball.

2 minutes ago, denen123 said:

Sorry, is this after u've worked on the tactic or its like the original. If so, I WS hoping to see the wider movement of the AM(bakero) as shown by your PI "roam from position" when his teammate has the ball.

Will be helpful because I and @ferrarinseb have been working on a pep guardiola variant he used in his Barcelona season(last season) and I think your Tactic will be a good blue print.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2018 at 00:29, denen123 said:

Will be helpful because I and @ferrarinseb have been working on a pep guardiola variant he used in his Barcelona season(last season) and I think your Tactic will be a good blue print.

Wait Guardiola also used the 3-4-3 in 2011 right....?

3 hours ago, Margent2 said:

I’d love to see this. Would be tempted to play cesc and Messi and as F9 and a SS where they switch positions 

The greatest compliment I can pay Pep and every other good Coach would be that the dynamics of play is the same(blue print to be replicated any other club). Its obvious that the Tactics used in both Bayern & Barca reflect in Man City and his 3-7-0(3-5-2 striker less) came with at the start of the season with Aguero and Jesus heading the attack. Also against Liverpool 2nd leg Champions league with no wingbacks just 3 CB's and a destroyer/playmaker in fernadinho. The overload in the middle giving heavy support going forward and tracking back. @ferrarinseb can enlighten more on the dyanamics.

Ams.         Ssatt

WMa.       APA.     Dlps.   Wa

Dlpd/Bwgoals.

CD.           BPD co.  CDco

Was the initial tactic, but there was not enough movement from the middle and it was heavy on crosses. And compact teams could easily exploit this. Right wing also leaked heavy with goals.

Its basically a 3-3-4 ,The base of Guardiola i found is from here, he used this to fight the teams which sat deep 

https://tompaynefootball.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/analysis-of-guardiolas-barcelona-part-two-the-3-3-4/                                                                     

Edited by ferrarinseb

• 5 months later...
On 10/05/2018 at 00:29, denen123 said:

Hi @ferrarinseb and @denen123 have you guys finished the guardiola 3-4-3 variant yet?

@goqs06 Not at the Moment trying to implement it in various iterations but wasn't finished yet. In FM 18 the closest i got is to , For FM 19 i want to adapt it but given the current situation of ME. Its on Hold. 

SK(S)

CD(D)                                            CD(C)                                         CD(D)

A(D)                                                               

W(S)                                     DLP(S)                                                CM(A)                   W(A)

SS(A)

DLF(S)

Tried to put both Wide Players in AM strata but with open space its too easy for Opposition to cross and Score, particularly this is employed against small teams who sit back are very much prone to the Direct ball and quick counter attacking. So Pushed them back to MC strata. I tried with WP(S) / DW(S) / IW(S) depending on Opposition. Some times pushed WP(S) to CWB(A).

Instructions for FM 18 are Control / Flexible 

Play out of Defense / Mixed Passing / Retain Possession / Higher D Line / Close Down more / Work the ball into Box. 

For FM 19 i tried this in beta.

SK(S)

BPD(D)                                    L(S)                                            BPD(D)

DM(D)

W(A)                                            DLP(S)                                            MEZ(S)                                           W(S)

DLF(S)                                             DLF(A)

In Possession : 

Shorter Passing / Play out of Defense / Slightly Slower Tempo / Fairly Wide / Work the ball into Box

In Transition

Distribute to CB/Counter press / Hold Shape / 

Out of Possession :

Higher D Line / Standard LOE / Prevent Short keeper Distribution / Use off side trap. 

Also its a Attacking Version of 3-5-2. 

Hi everyone , I always wanted to make a 3-4-3 diamond cruyff and i think your tactic is great . However i make some tweak and is working well , but i got a big issues with my libero . As you can see on the screenshot of the passmap, my libero is totally alone and he's not participating at all in the game ...To be honnest i can't see why ..  Is it because i got 2 DLP ? If someone can help me .. 

Capture d’écran 2018-11-13 à 17.17.41.png

Capture d’écran 2018-11-13 à 17.17.05.png

14 minutes ago, MarioFcn said:

Hi everyone , I always wanted to make a 3-4-3 diamond cruyff and i think your tactic is great . However i make some tweak and is working well , but i got a big issues with my libero . As you can see on the screenshot of the passmap, my libero is totally alone and he's not participating at all in the game ...To be honnest i can't see why ..  Is it because i got 2 DLP ? If someone can help me .. 

Capture d’écran 2018-11-13 à 17.17.41.png

Capture d’écran 2018-11-13 à 17.17.05.png

2 dlps and one of them is in the dm strata; libero is a very demanfing role and you won't get the best out of him unless you build your team around him. Read Cleon's article, he got it covered a few months ago!

il y a une heure, robot_skeleton a dit :

2 dlps and one of them is in the dm strata; libero is a very demanfing role and you won't get the best out of him unless you build your team around him. Read Cleon's article, he got it covered a few months ago!

Thanks a lot , i think I read that article and you right the two dlps and one of them is a dm so i can't get the best out of my libero but the cruyff diamond was with a DLP in a DM strata so how can i still use that ? If i put my DLP(dm) as a DM and my DLP(cm) my libero will be more involved in the game ? Or i can put my DLP(dm) as a DLP(cm) and my libero will have more space .

22 minutes ago, MarioFcn said:

Thanks a lot , i think I read that article and you right the two dlps and one of them is a dm so i can't get the best out of my libero but the cruyff diamond was with a DLP in a DM strata so how can i still use that ? If i put my DLP(dm) as a DM and my DLP(cm) my libero will be more involved in the game ? Or i can put my DLP(dm) as a DLP(cm) and my libero will have more space .

I'm afraid I'm not competent in the Cruyff tactics, but it is a very nice philosophy to build towards. However, I was lead to believe that no matter who you use in the dm strata in front of a libero, the libero won't function as intended; space will be negated. The same applies to playmakers and targetmen. Or instructions that  encourage a more direct route to goal, e. g. "Pump ball into box". (This is from Cleon's article)

Il y a 2 heures, robot_skeleton a dit :

I'm afraid I'm not competent in the Cruyff tactics, but it is a very nice philosophy to build towards. However, I was lead to believe that no matter who you use in the dm strata in front of a libero, the libero won't function as intended; space will be negated. The same applies to playmakers and targetmen. Or instructions that  encourage a more direct route to goal, e. g. "Pump ball into box". (This is from Cleon's article)

Yep dont' worry , i made some tweak and i think i'm almost there . 

Il y a 6 heures, lewis barlow a dit :

Let me know if you crack it. would love to have a go with the tactic. 

Yep , for now it's too soon ... When i think it's perfect i will share it . For now i just put my dm as a DLP(d) in cm position . Theres is some improvement. To be honnest i want to use a libero just for frenkie de jong . I can't see a better player than him for that role ( i really like him , i'm a little biased :) ) 

• 3 months later...

Juan Carlos was a fullback and a limited one, I may add.

Cruyff's 3-4-3 is more a myth than anything else. He used 4 defenders most of the time and had a remarkable inclination to use manmarking (e.g. Champions League Sampdoria final, Ferrer manmarked Vialli while playing 3 additional defenders).

His tactics usually hurt the team, players out of position, suicidal strategies (Guardiola manmarking Laudrup season 94-95 Madrid 5- Barça 0) and other terrible mistakes, just because he knew better or God knows why. He finally decided to play his family in the team (his son Jordi and Angoy, who was married with his daughter)

He was very lucky to win 3 crazy leagues (Tenerife, Tenerife, Valencia) with the most talented players of that years.

Cruyff's biggest contribution was convincing supporters Barça could beat anyone. As a manager, he was mediocre, at best.

Edited by mrgoal100

37 minutes ago, mrgoal100 said:

Cruyff's 3-4-3 is more a myth than anything else. He used 4 defenders most of the time and had a remarkable inclination to use manmarking (e.g. Champions League Sampdoria final, Ferrer manmarked Vialli while playing 3 additional defenders).

His tactics usually hurt the team, players out of position, suicidal strategies (Guardiola manmarking Laudrup season 94-95 Madrid 5- Barça 0) and other terrible mistakes, just because he knew better or God knows why. He finally decided to play his family in the team (his son Jordi and Angoy, who was married with his daughter)

He was very lucky to win 3 crazy leagues (Tenerife, Tenerife, Valencia) with the most talented players of that years.

Cruyff's biggest contribution was convincing supporters Barça could beat anyone. As a manager, he was mediocre, at best.

Haters gonna hate...

16 hours ago, mrgoal100 said:

You can't be serious, are you? 

hace 7 horas, Rooks dijo:

You can't be serious, are you? 

hace 5 horas, Cadoni dijo:

I thought the same.

Which part of my post do you think is not serious? All I said is strictly true. If you were more specific I could answer.

If I had to replicate Barça against Sampdoria…

Zubizarreta GK (DE)

Nando (LTFB) Koeman (BPD) Ferrer (LCB) Juan Carlos (FB-S)

Guardiola (DLP-DE)

Eusebio (WM-SU)                                           Laudrup (WP-AT)

Bakero (AM-AT)

Salinas (DLF-SU)                              Stoichkov (AF-AT)

Guardiola: more risky passes

Bakero: Close down much more, tackle harder.

Ferrer manmarking Vialli created huge gaps at back which where somewhat covered by Nando while Lombardo had lots of chances due the lack of defensive organisation. Not easy to replicate such a mess. 

Edited by mrgoal100

35 minutes ago, mrgoal100 said:

Which part of my post do you think is not serious? All I said is strictly true. If you were more specific I could answer.

LMAO

On 31/03/2018 at 16:59, yonko said:

Be more discipline.

Carrilero roles for both MCs

According to Cleon when I questioned him, CAR are designed to work without wingers. On paper it's one of the first roles to consider for this system, but apparently they don't work the way we'd need in the ME.

On 05/09/2018 at 08:25, Cleon said:

The role is designed to play in formations without wingers. That's why. 

2 hours ago, BMNJohn said:

According to Cleon when I questioned him, CAR are designed to work without wingers. On paper it's one of the first roles to consider for this system, but apparently they don't work the way we'd need in the ME.

They've had a bit of a rework for FM19. But the whole idea of the role is to be used without wingers. 

2 hours ago, BMNJohn said:

Would you mind explaining how they work in FM19? Especially compared to FM18.

All roles have had a bit of a rework. I don't want to get into specifics really but those who pay attention tactically will likely notice that roles might behave slightly more different compared to FM18. This is all roles btw and not just 1. 

14 hours ago, Cleon said:

All roles have had a bit of a rework. I don't want to get into specifics really but those who pay attention tactically will likely notice that roles might behave slightly more different compared to FM18. This is all roles btw and not just 1. 

Oh, so it wasn't anything specific. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

• 10 months later...
On 05/03/2019 at 18:55, mrgoal100 said:

Blaspheme