Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Man everyone played the old Premier Manager and Ultimate Soccer Manager games. I did play one PM game from around 2001, the one where you had actual meetings.

I seemed to always play the obscure hidden gems from charity shops. There was one with Ron Atkinson on the cover where you read actual newspapers to see the news.

Another one called EuroLeague Football that actually let you play the matches if you wanted (so another one deeper than FIFA and co. at the time), it was commentated by the guy from GamesMaster, plus it had a little quiz game which saved you buying one of those naff PS1 football quiz games.

Also played one old one called On The Ball which was good. For some reason it seems to be huge in Germany, where it's called 'Anstoss'. It's like their Championship Manager.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else remember the FourFourTwo game? I actually had that but by that time my PC was too old and underspec for such games to work properly (and PM64 aside the whole genre was completely new for me at the time), so I was never really able to do much on it, which is a shame as it had a mode where you could play as the old old First Division teams from 1982, as well as the legendary sides from the past (I briefly remember seeing the 60's Benfica and the Di-Stefano era Real Madrid) so maybe it would have been enjoyable if I had been able to properly give it a go.

The first console Football Manager game was simply "Football Manager" by Addictive Games that I played on my zx spectrum as a youngster. I have played many console FM games then but the best was probably a player manager game of some sort on the Nintendo, (I think), although LMA Manager was decent too. When I then saw what CM01/02 was in comparison to the console games I was just blown away. 

Something that I really enjoyed was weekly postal games though, (I'm old), and in particular there was one called "Sovereign Soccer" that worked really well. I was playing that as recently as 1996 I think. There was another even more in-depth postal game after that, (can't remember the name), but it had issues and went belly-up I think. The Sovereign Soccer one was really well done though if very basic by modern standards. 

12 hours ago, deltablue said:

Does anyone else remember the FourFourTwo game? I actually had that but by that time my PC was too old and underspec for such games to work properly (and PM64 aside the whole genre was completely new for me at the time), so I was never really able to do much on it, which is a shame as it had a mode where you could play as the old old First Division teams from 1982, as well as the legendary sides from the past (I briefly remember seeing the 60's Benfica and the Di-Stefano era Real Madrid) so maybe it would have been enjoyable if I had been able to properly give it a go.

Is that the one where you gave actual interviews to Gabby Logan? I always saw it in Woolworths but never got round to buying it.

I think he's much better fitting as a CM, as a AP/A possibly, or a CM/A, but the lack of aggression and tackling would make me slightly concerned about using him in the middle in a "4-4-f'in-2". He's a refined player not a all-purpose workhorse you need for that system - although he is decent enough in a few other attributes you need for that ugly work like work rate, anticipation and bravery, so I think you can pull it off.

On 8.9.2016 at 00:34, withnail316 said:

Can I ask your thoughts on a player, please. I don't use an AM, so I'm going to retrain this youngster. If he was your player, and your club played 4-4 f'in 2, would you train him as a CM or LM? Cheers.

Remco%20de%20Laat.png

I would rather train him as a supporting striker than play him in the middle of a 442 to be honest.

On 8 Σεπτεμβρίου 2016 at 01:34, withnail316 said:

Can I ask your thoughts on a player, please. I don't use an AM, so I'm going to retrain this youngster. If he was your player, and your club played 4-4 f'in 2, would you train him as a CM or LM? Cheers.

Remco%20de%20Laat.png

Since you don't use AM ,  i would choose '' Role ML-Winger '' for the 1st year , if he shows improvement i would continue till ''accomplished'', then '' Role MC-Box To Box''.

Funny, I go months without playing and updating my story, then I start playing again and my season's almost done in a few days. I guess because I just have one match a week, but it always feels like it'll take a long while to play through a season.

On 07/09/2016 at 19:34, withnail316 said:

Remco%20de%20Laat.png

A MC.

They have a good passing, a very good First Touch, for a 15-old kid, has a good sense of decisions (you need work of that).

The negative things is concentration (they need to play in MC) and Positioning (same thing of concentration).

First, work in MC; later in a back-to-back midfield. Has a possibility to play like Iniesta, for example. (a small, but has a possibility).

On 9/2/2016 at 15:45, git2thachoppa said:

What other non-FM/CM football management games do/did people enjoy playing?

The first management game I played was The Boss on the Commodore 64. My father modified it to include more teams, leagues, features though, it was awesome!

561644-the-boss-commodore-64-screenshot-

On the PC I played Premier Manager 1 and 2 before moving on to Championship Manager.

Right then, I appreciate everybody's feedback, but I decided to stick with my instincts. He can't tackle, so he can't play in my two-man centre-midfield. I'm going to take advantage of that natural flair stat and get him out wide, I think.

Just had a thought for FM17 regarding a forum thread. Youth saves seem to be the 'in' thing at the moment and there seems to be a new one every other day. Personally I love a good youth challenge as there's nothing better than seeing a youngster who has honed his skills at your club go on to great things. Would people be interested in a community one for FM17? I'm not saying I could run it yet as I'll be in Australia but it could be good fun.

If we were to do one, what countries would be people be interested in? I was thinking it'd be a season a person and then pass it on. That way there would be fairly quick seasons as no player transfers in and barring a few staff changes you'd get through the season quickly. How often would the updates be?

A few countries that spring to mind is England, San Marino or possibly another lesser European country?

Another idea I had was a created team/nation? Maybe including FMCU posters or any posters for that matter.

Tbh, some of the best saves in this forum have been community ones. The only issue nowadays is the forum is less active imo. I'd be up for most ideas but the England vs RoW saves don't seem to be very active anymore. I'm sure some people have got some better ideas so it could be good fun to explore those ideas and see which ones are feasible.

7 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Tbh, some of the best saves in this forum have been community ones. The only issue nowadays is the forum is less active imo. I'd be up for most ideas but the England vs RoW saves don't seem to be very active anymore. I'm sure some people have got some better ideas so it could be good fun to explore those ideas and see which ones are feasible.

I'm sure the board will become more active again as FM17 gets closer, and it certainly will after it has been released. 

15 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

It always does this time of year.  You could easily map activity going down from the moment of release, dipping further around the summer, then dropping off a cliff come the announcement of the next edition.  Come the beta you'll get hundreds of threads started, a minority of those carried on long term, then we'll be back to the same again this time next year.  It's cyclical.

It's a two way street though - you can blame the lack of activity for the poorer content, or you can blame the poorer content on the lack of activity.  There's something to both.

In my case it was because of exams, plus I just stopped playing for a bit as I didn't feel like it.

If everyone else is like me, it'll also be down to what time in the season it is. The summer and the end of transfer windows are good times because there's all this sexy analysis on how to make pieces fit and what's needed to finish the team jigsaw puzzle. Plus the final month or two of a season or an international tournament can make me want to play again. Other than that, it's just a case of time passing.

On top of that, I started playing again days ago, but I won't be writing an update until tomorrow probably because I'm just doing season summaries at the moment and I started playing again only a couple months into the season.

I'd love to play a new FM, but I've been waiting for my laptop to die before I get a newer version. I briefly tried 15, but It just couldn't cope, hence my continuation with 13.

The laptop has lasted about two years longer than I expected so far, and is still going strong...

I quite like the idea of a community save and especially one that is passed from person to person on a season by season basis. When this one was done in the past, (started by dafuge I think), it was a huge success, but the problem is that not everyone plays the same way and some people really blast through a season while others lay at a far more sedate pace. 

What I would really like to see is an on-line competition linked to a  a community based save where there were 2 saves running concurrently. 

The results of these saves is really not what it's all about and it's far more about the journey anyway. 

Each person might just want to do 1 month before passing it on and there would be nothing to stop them coming in again for another go later on  and even multiple times. 

I just think that we need to drag ourselves from playing single player games into the on-line World. 

Thoughts?

Just booted up my FM13 save where I'm in Indonesia. Started off doing rancer890's challenge but then signed a player through the search filter. Still playing the save but not the challenge. When transferring everything across from 1 laptop to the other, I lost the hall of fame :(. Had to remove some leagues as it seems to be getting a bit sluggish.

I have just been deciding my votes for this year's FMCU awards and it really wasn't easy. This year looks like being one of the most open and competitive awards we've ever had. It's especially nice to see a strong field of youth careers again. 

42 minutes ago, deltablue said:

I have just been deciding my votes for this year's FMCU awards and it really wasn't easy. This year looks like being one of the most open and competitive awards we've ever had. It's especially nice to see a strong field of youth careers again. 

When is it likely to be?

I love stuff like that but always seem to miss it. 

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

When is it likely to be?

I love stuff like that but always seem to miss it. 

In a few weeks time. I'll probably set the ball rolling sometime next week with a view to having the awards a couple of weekends after that, so the 7th/8th/9th depending on what evening might be most suitable.

I think my FM13 save has finally died. Just crashed twice in the space of 10 minutes around the same date. Such a shame as I never really got the one job I craved(Indonesia) or the Champions League. Still, I can't complain considering I never really expected it to last as long as it did when I started it on 19th November 2012.

A few seasons into FM 07 and I don't think my reputation has even increased, it's not even Local, still Unproven despite a league title/promotion. I planned on leaving my club and joining one in the same tier but without the humongous debt, even if they're lower down the table, but I can't even get Conference or obscure foreign jobs or even Serie C2 jobs as a Serie C1 manager! (testing by applying for jobs and creating vacancies after resigning, but not saving).

I'm in Serie C1, that could become Serie B in time. If I left, I'd get a fraction of the wage and nowhere near the level of exposure and certainly not talent, so presumably my rep would increase even slower.

Really disappointing.

Archived