FM18: Liverpool FC - Pace Abuse

cezar.sl

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2017 is done and dusted, pretty happy with how things are looking at the minute. Still sitting unbeaten after 22 games and 2 wins against Man City so that's always something to cheer about. Got Chelsea next though so hopefully this run can continue. 

Bayern in the Champions League and Spurs in the FA Cup as well so fingers crossed I can sneak through these ties.

Not too sure who to sign in January yet, but Lovren is looking likely that he'll be leaving us and going to Barcelona for £25m plus add ons. He's been pretty great for me in the games he's played but he not first choice with VVD and Matip in his way and wants to go so I'll not stand in his way..

As soon as Clyne is fit and well Gomez will be used more as a centre back than right back anyway so not the end of the world losing Lovren.

Might just stick it out with the squad that I have and hold off from any big changes until the summer when I ship out all the expensive loanees and deadwood...

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 20.53.15.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 20.52.58.png

Season one done and dusted. Didn't continue with my table topping form from the first half of the season but still relatively happy with my final league position. Looking forward to improving on it next season and going further in one of the cup competitions as well. Even though I let in the least goals this season I still think a change in between the sticks is needed so we'll see who I can bring in to fill that role.

Here's a run down of how my season ended and eventual league form

5aede45f69b5f_ScreenShot2018-05-05at18_02_51.thumb.png.8cfc40a3014332c90d2a4999cc5129f4.png5aede45dac7a2_ScreenShot2018-05-05at18_03_16.thumb.png.0cb769a212624b016aa6b02b6a47670e.png

It seems like finishing second was a recurring theme for Liverpool in the league with Firmino finishing 2nd in the goals table and Mo finishing second in the assist table as well..

5aede4dae8285_ScreenShot2018-05-05at18_06_17.thumb.png.b0c3afc8c94a57b98985d84534ec4a5a.png5aede4d955e0f_ScreenShot2018-05-05at18_06_41.thumb.png.5971ca9e3a2c1cf91db131c901f64870.png

Looking forward to season 2, will post an update of transfer activity before the first game kicks off in August!

After wining 6 league titles in a row City ended my run & Derby in my save will play City in the champions league final least i won the league cup goal is to regain my league title of City 

I just won the CL final against PSG on penalties. It went (me first): 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 3-3 (Salah missed!), 3-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 5-4, 5-4... we won!

It was genuinely horrible to watch. I aged about five years in five minutes.

On 08/05/2018 at 21:05, glenn28 said:

After wining 6 league titles in a row City ended my run & Derby in my save will play City in the champions league final least i won the league cup goal is to regain my league title of City 

Derby did a Leicester City & won the champions league 

Lads, your opinion:

Currently about to reach Jan 2018, I want to sign Fekir or Gelson Martins in the end of the season, but Felipe Anderson was listed for 25 mil.

What do you say? Should I'll buy him now or wait for the other two?

On 11/05/2018 at 16:53, TheJanitor said:

Lads, your opinion:

Currently about to reach Jan 2018, I want to sign Fekir or Gelson Martins in the end of the season, but Felipe Anderson was listed for 25 mil.

What do you say? Should I'll buy him now or wait for the other two?

I've not had him on FM18, but Felipe Anderson was always a beast for me on 16 and 17.

Been a while since i last played. 

Am going to start a new save with the winter update as my original was from release. 

Interested to see the updates to players.

Has anyone tried to buy Donnaruma in Jan before he turns 19? I remember i did that in my first save as i liked to good youngsters to be homegrown.

season 2 summary:
Won the PL by 3 pts over ManU

Won Community Shield
Won the Caraboa Cup
Won the FA cup
Won CL against ManU (Revenge from last year) Thought I was out in the semi's after losing 3-1 away to Real but battered them 5-0 at home

Players 
Firmino - Star player yet again, won pretty much all individual awards too
Salah - Disappointing compared to last season, both Mane and Ox were better
Arthur - Creative and dominant from the middle of the park

Signings:
Moise Kean - Arrived this season and was a development year, did well enough
Theo Hernandez - Moreno has his head turned so signed the best young LB in the game, bed him in and will still split duties with Robbo next season
Kieta - Shoehorned him into my tactics as mainly BWM, sometimes he covered AP for Arthur, solid without being spectacular
Andriy Lunin - Couldn't get a WP so loaned out, don't think he'll get one for next season either...

Youngsters:
TAA - Not statistically impressive but rotated RB well, might retrain him as DM for more games and flexibilty next season
Gomez - Coming along nicely and trying to convert him to CB but would like to get more games into him (3rd choice RB and CB right now)
Woodburn - Started all cups and scored lots of goals, more than good enough to back up Firmino next season and will be played as such
Solanke/Wilson - Both loaned out but don't think they'll make it
Brewster/Jones - Next on the list of players I want to try to develop 

Next season:
No one I really want to sign after winning everything, a world class CM/DM would be nice but no one that catches my eye. Might trust the youth a bit more (nice CM regen but only 15) but will continue to trim the squad - Milner, Wijnaldum and llalana could all be gone come next season but might leave the squad too thin/reliant on youth. Handing out multiple new contracts too

In my 8th season & ive gone trophyless for the 1st time City won the league again 3 pts behind me ive sold Van dyik as he wanted to leave Henderson will not be offered a contract as hes past his best Mane will be sold at seasons end as im doing a mini re build to challenge to titles again 

2 hours ago, glenn28 said:

In my 8th season & ive gone trophyless for the 1st time City won the league again 3 pts behind me ive sold Van dyik as he wanted to leave Henderson will not be offered a contract as hes past his best Mane will be sold at seasons end as im doing a mini re build to challenge to titles again 

How's any of your regens ?

So i have started a new save, first since release with the winter update.

Been reading the tactics forums (Egytpian King thread) and watching Rashidi's vids on youtube and i decided on the 4-3-3 formation with 3 CM. Similar to the formation he uses, but im going to use Salah as an IF and have my right wingback on support for now.

Our squad is pretty strong with the update, and so i only bought de Ligt to replace Klaven who i sold for 8.5m to Spurs. Got Peiser (Model Citizen) to tutor Grabara. Also sold Bogdan for 3.7m.

I want to get Donnaruma as i have done in my last few games, but looks like i'll have to wait till at least winter.

I normally buy 5 or so new players, so this has been a strange start for me.

Also gave Can and Firmino new contracts as Can is nearly out of contract and to get rid of Firminos release clause.

Just had the most ridiculous CL first round knockout vs Real Madrid. Away in first leg and decided that attack is the best form of defence (the players basically told me I was an idiot!). They were right, 6-1 down at half time! Had some stern words and made a few tweaks and we finish with a 6-4 loss, but we are at least in the second leg.

Back to Anfield and back to our "usual" gameplan and we win 4-0 for an 8-4 aggregate victory!

Im at Jan in first season now.

Currently unbeaten in the league.

Have just bought Donnaruma for £45m +20% of next sale after declaring interest for the last few months :)

Then sent Karius on loan to Milan for the rest of the seaon and a mandatory £26.5m fee :)

Lovren has agreed to join Barca for £38m, which is great as i have Van Dijk, Matip, de Ligt and Gomez as my CB's. Love Gomez as hes great at RB too, he actually won Golden boy  playing as RB :)

Will try to sell Mignolet at end of season and make Grabara my main backup to Donnaruma.

In fourth season and Wilson and Woodburn are star players and feature every week so I would stick by them.

Wilson is an IF and scores and creates.

TAA has also been excellent and enjoying using the youngsters and I have an excellent crop of regens coming through the youth team with a couple rated best of generation.

Jan transfer window is closed.

Bought:

Eduardo da Silva 250k . Great tutor and backup striker.

Arthur £20m. Great young CM. Great offensive attributes with good tackling for the pressing i do.

Aaron £22.5m. Great young left back who i sent back to Espanyol on loan for rest of season. 

Donnarums £45m after much declaring interest. Main keeper and 18 so can be homegrown at club.

Sold:

Lovren to Barcelona for £40.5m with addons. I have Van Dijk, Matip, de Ligt and Gomez for CB.

Ward £5m to Pachuca

Ings £38m to Southampton. He was just a backup, but i have Woodburn, Solanke and Brewster who are just as capable, and the fee was just too good.

Lallana on loan to Man City with Mandatory £55m fee. He aging and just too slow for my style. 

Karius on loan to Milan with mandatory £26.5m fee

Looking to sell Moreno at end of season as Aaron is his replacement. Also may sell one of Can or Wijnaldum. They are both good squad players, but i bought in Arthur as his offensive attributes are better and he also has good tackling for my pressing game.

Also looking to sell Mignolet and have Grabara as main backup. Though i may buy an older keeper as 3rd choice too.

Really happy with the window. Squads looking better, got rid of some backup and older players for great fees, and bought in better youth for now and the future.

How do people go with renewing Grujic's contract? I normally sell him, but this time I kept him as Barca were silly enough to give me 70m for Gini.  He has been playing great for me at DM.  Tried to renew his contract, only wants reasonable wages...great I thought.....then I get the message, work permit declined!!

Gutted as he has 3 months on his contract left and I can't give him a new contract.

Really enjoyed a pre-season with Liverpool. Wanted to experiment with some really high-intensity football and have a go with that attacking line.

6bRk0YF.png

Pre-season has been explosive, to say the least..

d3ZoBK7.png

Salah 6 appearances, 11 goals, 6 assists, 8.97AvR
Mane 6 appearances, 7 goals, 4 assists, 7.90 AvR
Firminho 6 appearances, 11 goals, 5 assists, 9.08 AvR

Particularly looking forward to having Keita join in the second season.

2 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Really enjoyed a pre-season with Liverpool. Wanted to experiment with some really high-intensity football and have a go with that attacking line.

6bRk0YF.png

Pre-season has been explosive, to say the least..

d3ZoBK7.png

Salah 6 appearances, 11 goals, 6 assists, 8.97AvR
Mane 6 appearances, 7 goals, 4 assists, 7.90 AvR
Firminho 6 appearances, 11 goals, 5 assists, 9.08 AvR

Particularly looking forward to having Keita join in the second season.

Could you post all details on that tactic and also how did you get the logos?

16 hours ago, john97 said:

Could you post all details on that tactic and also how did you get the logos?

Logos - just google. Pretty sure it was FM Base or one of the long-established FM websites.

Tactic is still very much under construction.

The basic premise is to play high-intensity football and throw numbers forward in attack. I've gone for a fluid, overload playing style only really modified with more closing down and passing into space.

1 hour ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Logos - just google. Pretty sure it was FM Base or one of the long-established FM websites.

Tactic is still very much under construction.

The basic premise is to play high-intensity football and throw numbers forward in attack. I've gone for a fluid, overload playing style only really modified with more closing down and passing into space.

Is the mentality overload? Yeah with logos I can download them no problem but when I put them into a folder etc it never uploads to the game

When I thought I was in decline in season 9 won all 4 trophies the league won on goal diff from both Mancs team as the 3 of us finished on 94 pts & in Jan was 11 pts behind Man City thought I was gone beat Utd in the league cup final ,Aston Villa in the FA Cup final & Man City in the champions league final might do 2 more seasons & close the door on FM 18 as I’ve achieved everything I wanted to achieve 

Just getting ready to begin season 2 as Liverpool manager. I'm a life-long supporter, but despite playing FM since FM08 I've never managed them. I never start with good teams, and it was more fun I thought to be a fan in FM too. I would always follow them in the game as well, cursing and praising their signings and lamenting their failures....

But then the CL final happened and I was inspired to start a save and get rid of the keepers and replace them with someone worthy of being the Liverpool keeper.

Sold Mingolet first summer no problem but no one will buy Karius. I gave him a few games and he was terrible so now he rots and complains. Can't unload him for half of his value. So I'm still paying him, with a month to go in the window.

Liverpool have a great squad in FM18. Not just the quality of the players, which is pretty high, but the age and the fact that most players are locked in for a few years is also nice. The balance of the squad is good too.

But the number of on-loan players is high, and is my biggest problem at the moment.  Once they return there's a bit of a logjam, and I'm having big trouble unloading some of them. I read through this thread and folks are getting great offers for some of these players but I'm not. Even offering them out on cut-rate deals. Yeah, yeah, you've heard it before.

Madrid took Firmino for his release clause, and I was OK with that. He did well, 20/20 first season, but I had bought Belotti and had other targets in mind. My main issue is several players have come to me asking to be let go to City/Madrid/Barca/PSG and I always respond that we'll talk if there's an offer. But this offer never comes. I've been ready to sell Mane for two seasons. I already bought his replacement even! So the logjam grows.

I have 250 million in the transfer kitty but I can't spend it with so many players on the books. Savic from Lazio is transfer listed and I want to buy him but I have too many central midfielders already on the books. I lost out on Icardi to United because Madrid took too long to take Firmino. Bayern offered big money for Salah but I don't want to sell him, but may have to shed players. I'd rather sell Mane. Barca and Madrid both have 'Major Transfer Interest' in him but no bids come. I offered him out for some crazy money and nada. Thought I might get a negotiation out of it at least.

Anyway, won the league going away and the League Cup too. Lost the FA Cup final to United on pens and knocked out in the CL quarterfinals to Monaco. We did enough to win, except we didn't score enough goals :)

It's fun to actually be managing my team after all these years, especially since I waited until they were good again. I just hope I can trim the playing staff without losing these valuable players on frees, or be forced to resign them so I don't.

Absolutely, loving this Liverpool save!

First time ever managing Liverpool. Always found them frustrating but developed a real soft spot for their style of play under Klopp, the Salah, Firminho, Mane attack and - of course - the famous nights at Anfield.

We set up in a 'heavy metal' 4-3-3 with everything set towards pressing with intensity and then getting the ball forward to Salah, Firminho and Mane before the opposition can organise their defence.

6bRk0YF.png

The results were explosive. Scoring well over 3 goals per game, at a cost of conceding more than a goal per game meant that we were easily the most entertaining team in Europe.

In the Champions League we managed a great run. After losing 3-1 away to Juventus in the 1st Knockout, it was very nearly cut short but the away goal proved crucial in the first great European night at Anfield of the season.

XyHNrLv.png

Pumping PSG in the next leg laid the path to the semi-finals.

OJMDaMX.png

Whilst a 6th league win in a row edged us above Mourinho's Manchester United side, whose record-breaking defence had seen them maintain a narrow lead for most of the season.

aalEGZu.png

We then hit the most challenging patch of the season.

5iTMw8B.png

Perhaps the best night of the season followed at Anfield with Salah, Mane and Firminho ripping apart Barcelona's high defensive line.

ubNp1Pd.png

However after giving 1,000% against Barcelona, Jose Mourinho's brick wall defence proved too strong.

xFIbjr8.png

The league title remained an incredibly tight 3 horse race with 2 games remaining.

T9nDeSO.png

Chelsea's remaining fixtures making the final games particularly interesting.

SWLZI5q.png

Unfortunately, Mourinho's defence held solid and lead Manchester United to their first title since Alex Ferguson.

weFqpSX.png

Whilst we managed to keep up pressure and secure automatic qualification to the Champions League with a strong finish over Chelsea.

9eCqTHy.png

Despite a heroic last minute equaliser from Mo Salah in the Champions League final, Bayern proved too strong in extra time.

mhlcdhP.png

So there we have it. Ultimately heroic failures, but what a roller-coaster ride of a season!

Final 2017/18 League Table

GSqC1HD.png

Attacking Stats

h6PVI8W.png

gtEyjsD.png

QXo7zZK.png

..agonisingly missing out on Aston Villa's goalscoring record standing since 1931 by only 2 goals (we missed 4 penalties)

..and take a bow, Mo Salah.

epSA7dq.png

Afternoon boys. 

After Marco Roses' incredibly impressive performances with RB Salzburg this season - especially in the Europa League. I decided to start a game with Salzburg and try and replicate his tactics. It worked, beautifully. +700 passes a game +60% possession a game. This included beating Monaco, in Monaco,  in the Group stages, and getting a draw against Dortmund. 

Since I'm a Liverpool fan I've decided I'm gonna try and use it with the mighty reds. Only issue is the fact that it's a narrow diamond. Meaning I'm going to have to get rid of Mane, what's a decent price in the first window for him? Don't want to retrain him to be a forward because I've done it before and it didn't work well. I will however be using King Mo as the Complete Forward. So any suggestions for young strikers to back Mo up - and I'll obviously have the Mane money. 

Would anyone be interested in following along in my quest? :D

1 hour ago, Generation-Next said:

Afternoon boys. 

After Marco Roses' incredibly impressive performances with RB Salzburg this season - especially in the Europa League. I decided to start a game with Salzburg and try and replicate his tactics. It worked, beautifully. +700 passes a game +60% possession a game. This included beating Monaco, in Monaco,  in the Group stages, and getting a draw against Dortmund. 

Since I'm a Liverpool fan I've decided I'm gonna try and use it with the mighty reds. Only issue is the fact that it's a narrow diamond. Meaning I'm going to have to get rid of Mane, what's a decent price in the first window for him? Don't want to retrain him to be a forward because I've done it before and it didn't work well. I will however be using King Mo as the Complete Forward. So any suggestions for young strikers to back Mo up - and I'll obviously have the Mane money. 

Sounds interesting!

Regarding strikers, you've got two in the squad already. Woodburn and Brewster who both show excellent potential, in fact I regret not giving them more game time. I'm also keeping tabs on Ryan Cassidy at Watford and - if I lose Firminho - I'll be bringing Kevin Volland straight in.

Finally got around to finishing my first season, after the amazing comeback win over Real, the rest of the Champions League proved to be relatively straightforward as we beat Sporting 5-1 in the quarters, Porto 4-1 in the semis and Barca 2-0 in the final. In the league we won by 8 points, scoring 101 and conceding 34.

Part of me is disappointed as I kind of wanted to build the team up over a season or 2 to get to that position, but at the same time can't complain!

The off season has seen a few out the door including Mignolet, Origi, Ings, Wijnaldum, Allan, Flanagan, Gujic and Markovic. Hopefully Sturridge and Can will be following them. Keita and Milinkovic-Savic are in, and I'm pondering a utility forward, but the Mane, Firmino, Salah axis was pretty strong with 21 goals and 23 assists, 33 goals and 20 assists and 40 goals and 18 assists respectively!

1 hour ago, Generation-Next said:

Afternoon boys. 

really intersting in see these formation that gave you +700 passes and 60% possession. I´ll follow for sure.

Just now, Generation-Next said:

So far I've brought in De Ligt, and Santi Mina - just as a decent experienced backup. Woody I'll try and play in the AMC role

De Ligt has to be one of the best bargains in relative terms, bought him first season as I shipped Lovren out immediately and alongside Van Dijk hes been brilliant.

The Ox has been my biggest surprise, performing superbly as an IW on the right.

2 minutes ago, gpassosbh said:

really intersting in see these formation that gave you +700 passes and 60% possession. I´ll follow for sure.

Nothing to write home about, due to being a friendly against extremely poor opposition, but this was my first friendly with the tactic no where near fluid yet. 

nothing.thumb.PNG.a0a9f2d6b3a2a415f93a9d852cb3991f.PNG

and the tactic

formation.thumb.PNG.a935fd29b77fc221bab75ee1ad61d2d1.PNG

BBM's have get further forward and more risky passes, the FB's are actually on support (ignore the screenie for that) They both have get further forward, but cross less often - because as with Marco Rose team, he doesn't put crosses in, he has his fullbacks cut it back. Which seems to work well with these instructions as they look for the pass rather than the cross. 

Analysis ahead of 2018/19 season

F5UY0G5.png

Strengths

1. Ability to press with intensity across the entire team, particularly from central midfield and Firminho up front.
  2. Attacking movement, pace and finishing in the front 3.

This synergises perfectly with our strategy from last season which was to be possession-neutral, press with intensity and attack immediately on the turnover.

Weaknesses

1. General quality in goal and defence.
  2. Only average vision and playmaking ability in midfield.

Incoming transfers

• Keita
     - One of the reasons I wanted to play this save was the addition of Keita, behind Mane, Salah and Firminho.
     - I want to see him charging through the centre of midfield drawing opposition defenders toward him before playing an attacker in behind the defence.
  • Fabinho
     - Very complete midfielder.
     - Probably going to be my designated holder, freeing up Henderson to play box-to-box or an attacking midfielder.
  • Alisson?
     - Doesn't seem as highly rated in FM as in real-life, failing to offer a serious upgrade on Karius.
     - Geronimo Rulli may be a better option, offering an upgrade across most attributes and adding a Model Professional personality to the squad.
  • Fekir?
     - Would add a creative spark and - another! - attacking option.
     - Replacing one of Fabinho or Henderson would mean a downgrade in ability to press and defensive stability.

Tactical Considerations

• Attack and defence will remain unchanged although Gomez will be taking over from Matip as first choice partner for van Djik.
  • Keita seems born for the Roaming Playmaker role.
     - Personal preference is that I like playmakers deep, picking the ball up from defence and driving forward.
     - Could suit either a 1-2 midfield or a 2-1 in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3.
  • Fabinho will be my holder, freeing up the other midfield spot.

Archived