FM18: Liverpool FC - Pace Abuse

cezar.sl

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of first season, won everything in a fantastic season.

Looks like i got 4 potential wonderkids in my youth candidates too. Looking forward to developing them.

Tactic i uses is the following. Have used a CMs on the left on the mid 3, but changed to box to box in the last few games. I may move the CMd back to DM, unsure yet.

The Right back is a star in this, has loads of space to run into and create chances. Gomez won best young player, and TAA won champ league best defender.

The 2 upfront are amazing, and Woodburn was fantastic as backup to Mane in the left wing position.

The 2 strikers, AML and 2 wider mids all have close down much more, mark tighter and hard tackling. DLF also has move into channels.

Along with opposition instructions to close down and tackle hard all defenders, wingbacks and keeper make up the high pressing style.

My wingbacks have close down less, sit narrower and less risky passes. They help to overload midfield and provide width. Especially the RB.

Keeper takes short kicks and distributes to centre backs.

I use Flexible shape as i honestly am not totally sure on the changes they make, and it works fine.

If im struggling to break teams, i go wider and roam from position.

BA9A75F5D5A21D168CAF74C4E6CC42BBE04DFCA6

My current team. Look at them goals and assists :D

Hubschman and Eduardo are there as tutors, also have Peiser in reserves.

547E6FA8E6568AA560E32395AE2AA461C360ABAD

Transfers. Lallana on loan also has a £55m mandatory fee. Karius also has a £26.5m Mandatory fee.

2DBFCCE75C6F6D4168DD83EE06138552089B4FF0

Looking to sell Moreno and Can as they want to move to PSG. Bought Aaron to replace Moreno, and im looking at buying Fabinho.

Second season drawing to a close, has been much more challenging than the first with the old "Second season syndrome" kicking in quite early on and tons of teams playing flat back 5's against us! 

Started experimenting with alternative systems, but in the end came back to plan A and tweaked the instructions depending on what the opposition were up to. Currently 8 points clear with 4 to play and in the semis of Champs League.

The Ox has been outstanding as an IW in the M(r) slot and is currently the league's highest rated player. Mo is on to break 50 goals. Savic came in with Keita in the summer and they were joined by Lemar in Jan for a ridiculous fee, but the money was there and Mané kept getting injured so needed some cover. Not close to justifying his price so far, but hope he will kick on in season 3.

Definitely not getting some of the offers fpr players that others are getting though. 55mil for Lallana?!?!

Salah and Firminho both want new contracts now, but have 4 years left.

I said they have plenty of time left, and they were fine with it.......but i am thinking it may be worth it to get them on a new contract now before they want over 200k a week in a year or 2.

On 07/06/2018 at 01:27, Generation-Next said:

Nothing to write home about, due to being a friendly against extremely poor opposition, but this was my first friendly with the tactic no where near fluid yet. 

nothing.thumb.PNG.a0a9f2d6b3a2a415f93a9d852cb3991f.PNG

and the tactic

formation.thumb.PNG.a935fd29b77fc221bab75ee1ad61d2d1.PNG

BBM's have get further forward and more risky passes, the FB's are actually on support (ignore the screenie for that) They both have get further forward, but cross less often - because as with Marco Rose team, he doesn't put crosses in, he has his fullbacks cut it back. Which seems to work well with these instructions as they look for the pass rather than the cross. 

What skin is it?

Only looking to sign bargains.

Made an offer for Pepe Reina for £0 + exchange player (Mignolet),

Strangely they wanted 3.6mil + Mignolet even though he is only worth under five million, Mignolet is worth 21mil and Pepe is 34 and Mignolet is 29 and Napoli wouldn't budge on the price.

After giving up, a message appeared in my inbox saying that Reina faced an uncertain future at Napoli after a row with the manager about a dream move to Liverpool.

So intrigued, I bid for him again (£0 + Mignolet) because I was still unwilling to pay an extortionate fee for a 34 year old player.  To my surprise, they accepted the offer straight away!

I've already assigned my captains for this season but next season Pepe will take over as vice captain.  I've had him before on here for about 5-6 mil and in the second season the Brain recommended I set him as my vice captain so I did.  The only thing that could prevent this would be if I start integrating Van Dijk as my vice captain as he looks like a more long term leader in the squad. 

Exchange player transfers are hard to get and £0 + even harder.  Doubt I'll sign anyone else this season.  Only other possibilities at the moment could be Arthur and that Ajax 17 year old wonderkid centre back both for about 20 million a piece. 

Has anyone made anything of Wilson?

He looks interesting, but i play with a left winger cutting in and no right winger...which makes him surplus to requirements for me, unless i retrain him as a striker.

21 minutes ago, Siven said:

Has anyone made anything of Wilson?

He looks interesting, but i play with a left winger cutting in and no right winger...which makes him surplus to requirements for me, unless i retrain him as a striker.

yes - he got a season of game time with me as the OX did his cruciates and Salah was on and off the tratment table.  His stats look reasonable but not worldclass, but he performed much better than expected.  eneded up player of the year with 17 goals from IF (R) and a few assists.  Now worth 50m with top teams chasing him.  My problem now is both salah and Ox fully fit and these guys are performing great as well..........If I get a big bid for Ox or Wilson I may consider it.

Woodburn is fantastic.

Played him as backup to Mane in the AML spot in tactic a few posts up, he was also backup for the 2 striker spots also.

Scored 16 and 10 assists in first season. Now worth £45million.

His versatility is fantastic.

Pre-season 2 is done, ready for Community shield.

Bought:

Fabinho for £90m. Had to, hes awesome.

Moise Kean for 22m. Agreed in first season.

D'Amico agreed in first season.

Gusev for free as hes an amazing tutor.

Sold:

Sturridge to Newcastle for £26.5m

Lallana to Man city for £55m (was part of his loan deal last Jan)

Karius to Milan for £26.5m (part of loan deal after i bought Donnaruma from them last Jan)

Moreno £73m to Monaco

Can £89m to Munich

Markovic on loan to Villareal with 13.5m mandatory fee.

Grujic 6.5m to Espanyol. Good but i have better CM players.

Ojo on loan to Fulham with mandatory 10m fee.

Solanke, Ejaria and Brewster on loan for game time.

Also sold a few youngsters to get rid.

Really happy with transfers.

Decided to keep Origi, he can be a good backup and may sell in few season for more than i can get now.

Changed tactic slightly,  moved the middle CM back to DM just to give a bit more cover when full backs are attacking. Also make him more available to pass to. I may switch the BBM and mezzela sides, still trying to decide on that.

On 13 June 2018 at 16:11, makul said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal!  Very interesting your tactic, have you tried the role of CF instead of F9?

Funny you should say that..

uxmZLEo.png

Playing a False 9 rather than a Complete Forward was a mistake. Used a Napoli tactic as a template where Mertens was the main attacking outlet so wasn't to hold up the ball. Complete Forward means that Firminho will hold up the ball for which is particularly dangerous given his intelligence and the attacking movement of Salah and Mane.

This aside, the system remains unchanged apart from restructuring the midfield around the signing of Naby Keita.

My preference is to have playmakers deep, and facilitating build-up play early on. Keita is a fantastic player who's strength is picking up the ball from defence and driving forward into the heart of the opposition midfield, creating havoc and opening space for those around him.

Fabinho is the perfect counter-weight. An intelligent all-round midfield player who can anchor a midfield well and facilitate build-up.

UBP0dT0.png

The addition of Fabinho & Keita means we can now build up from the back, so - new goalkeeper - Rulli now distributes the ball to our centre backs.

• Fabinho sits deep, shielding the defence and regularly drops into defence to create a passing option when under pressure.
  • Keita is our playmaker, dropping deep to get the ball and then driving forward.
  • Henderson takes the midfield runner role, supporting Keita and using his engine to get everywhere.
  • Wingbacks create width.
  • Firminho occupies opposition defenders, drops of deep or drifts wide and is also an effective attacking threat.
  • Salah is the spearhead of the team, ably supported by Mane using their pace and movement to get in behind opposition defences.

Keita is the heart-beat of the team, regularly hitting 100+ passes and helping control games.

SjYxLRO.png

..and Salah is my first non-Messi/Ronaldo Balon d'Or winner of FM 2018!

w3JX8w4.png

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! Enjoying reading your stuff. I think you may not be using Fabinho effectively though. He is fast has, 14 for the off the ball and "gets into opposition area." I personally would use him as a BWM(S) in central midfield. So he will aggressively close down and crunch into the midfield (suits the style of play) and due to the support duty and his trait will still be a threat further up the pitch at times. Hendo is much more of a holder because he is slow and intelligent. He would be a great DLP(D) in DM) with more direct and risky passes. 

Season 2 done and dusted and we won everything bar the 2 domestic cups. The highlight being an 11-3 aggregate win over Inter in the Champions League SF. First leg away was a scrappy 2-1 win, followed by a 9-2 home win in the second leg using the counter attacking version of our tactic! Inter went 2-1 With both goals from kondogbia, so closed him off quickly and suddenly went rampant. Some of the goals were incredible, with the interplay between Salah, Mane, Firminho and Savic looking amazing - hopefully will find a way of getting that more often in season 3!

Not sure what to do in the transfer market though, Karius still a bit lightweight so maybe a new keeper, Milner is off by his choice and Lallana probably off by my choice as I'd rather invest time in Wilson and Liam Miller. Solanke might be on his way too as I can't see him getting enough game time ahead of Woodburn as back up to Salah. So, unless a ridiculous offer comes in for Mane or similar and he gets the hump I can't see any major changes in the starting 11 unless we change formation.

Decisions decisions!

16 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! Enjoying reading your stuff. I think you may not be using Fabinho effectively though. He is fast has, 14 for the off the ball and "gets into opposition area." I personally would use him as a BWM(S) in central midfield. So he will aggressively close down and crunch into the midfield (suits the style of play) and due to the support duty and his trait will still be a threat further up the pitch at times. Hendo is much more of a holder because he is slow and intelligent. He would be a great DLP(D) in DM) with more direct and risky passes. 

Yea, that's fair enough. I thought about doing it either way. In fact, if you hit the player comparison tab for Fabinho & Henderson they're ridiculously similar.

The reason I went this way around was:

1. I didn't want either of them as playmaker, I wanted Keita running the midfield (I only use one playmaker).
  2. Henderson's strength is his engine so I wanted to move him into the runner role.
  3. Fabinho is tall, strong and comfortable in defence so I put him as the holder.

Henderson was my holder last season and did reasonably well, but our defensive structure and build up play was lacking.

With Fabinho our build-up has been excellent, with average possession going from ~48% to ~52%, although part of this has been down to tweaking the strategy. Defence has improved massively though, from conceding >1 goal per game to 0.6. Again this will be partially down to Gomez, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and Tierney improving as young players, but however you look at it things are going in the right direction.

Certainly one of those where there's lots of ways to do it. Perhaps I could get more out of Fabinho individually, but I'd worry about taking away from the unit and team on the whole.

My ideal solution was Fabinho in midfield as an MC(D) and Keita behind as a Regista or Roaming Playmaker in the DM strata - taking the ball directly from defence - however in the Match Engine they were right in each other's way all the time.

:thup: 

Sorry I've not been about guys to update you on my mental diamond as I've been working hellish hours. 

The tactic that worked wonderfully with Salzburg is a bit hit and miss with Liverpool, I did expect it though as Salzburg quickly learned my tactic as it is a tactic they're used to. With Liverpool not so much. But hopefully It's coming along a little now. 

My last game against Hoffenheim

1839020022_Hoff.thumb.PNG.2d5035493156d65b9fa6ef220580aab8.PNG

A game that Hoffenheim really needed to chase to come back from a 4-0 deficit at our place. I controlled the game possession wise, completing 556 passes in the process. The Hoffenheim goal came from an annoying cut back cross. Something that I'll need to sort out immediately. 

Sched.thumb.PNG.49d30193b6d0518bd0814ad9cf21113a.PNG

Something else I've also noticed. I need a completely different plan when I go a man down. I was comfortably cruising to a 0-2 win against Burnley but when TAA got sent off, and I moved a player from the ST position down to FB and put Gomez on, we ended up losing 3-2. We didn't have the pressing capabilities as the 2 men up top did and it showed. I'm delighted with an opening day win against City though. 

So after 12 seasons, my Bayer Leverkusen save has ran its course I feel. After winning the Champions League with a first eleven home-grown at my club, I don't feel I can go any further with it so it's new save time. I had a great save with Liverpool last year so Liverpool it shall be again. This is probably going to be my last save of this years edition. So, onto business....

Transfers

Looking at the squad, there was a few areas I wanted to strengthen for the first season and with a healthy budget, I got to work. I wanted a young CB who will hopefully form a partnership with Joe Gomez that will be the heart of my defence for the next 10 years so in came Matthijs de Ligt for 16 million. I haven't had him in this years edition as I've only really had two saves, Celtic and Leverkusen, so I'm looking forward to developing him into the beast I see in other peoples saves. Obviously, with him coming in, that gave me 6 centre-backs so Klaven went to Roma on loan with option to buy and Lovren went to PSG for 17 million. Not too fussed at only getting 17 when he was valued at 25 as it's still a million more than I spent on de Ligt. With TAA, Gomez and de Ligt, I've got 75% of my backline sorted going forward. I'm going to see how Robertson and Moreno perform this season, but in all likelihood, one of them will be sold at the end of the season and the other will be backup to whoever I choose for the LB spot. 

Midfield is pretty thin just now, both in depth and quality, but with Keita coming in next season and Lallana still to come back from injury, I didn't want to go overboard strengthening here. Also, there is the added burden of not having any homegrown at club over 21 players for Champions League rules. I play a 4321 with a DM(d), AP(s) and a MEZ(a) and looking at the players I have at my disposal, I'm not convinced they could provide the attacking drive I like from my teams so Williams will be backup for Can in the DM slot with Henderson taking the AP role as I didn't feel he could bring what i want from the MEZ.  I wanted someone new for the MEZ role and my first choice was Kai Havertz as he was sensational for me in my Leverkusen save becoming the clubs all-time record appearance maker, and probably my favourite player in any save I've had over the lasy few editions, and he can play both the MEZ and AP roles perfectly but Leverkusen wanted 200 million for him so that was a no go. After reading through some of this thread, I've decided to go with Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for 52 million. This is another player I've been dying to sign but haven't had the chance to yet. With Keita coming in next year, I'm going to experiment with a few tweaks to my formation swapping the AP for B2B to allow me to get the best out of both.

I play with Inside Forwards and never wingers as I like my wing-backs to give me width so with Mane and the Ox, and Brewster who's gonna be a IF(L) who will be blooded this year, I'm sorted on the left side but only have Salah for the right side. Francisco Trincao has come in from Braga, but with him being only 17, he'll be in same situation as Brewster this season. After being denied Havertz, I successfully raided Leverkusen for my second favourite player from my last save, Leon Bailey who came in for 66 million. He was a god for me winning the Ballon D'or 5 years running. He'll provide more than healthy competition for Salah, and if he even turns out 75% as good as last time, he'll probably be first choice in a few years.

Finally, I wanted a young striker as I don't rate Ings or Solanke and Woodburn is going out on loan this season to Norwich as a key player playing as a striker. Firmino is obviously my number one and suits the CF(s) role I play down to the ground. So for competition, I raided Ajax for a second time and brought in Kasper Dolberg for 32 million. He's someone I tried to buy for Leverkusen but he went to Bayern instead so I'm glad to get him this time. I've already had great success with young strikers like Pietro Pellegri, Lautaro Martinez, Moussa Dembele and Patrick Cutrone so here's hoping he can hit the same heights.

I'm going to do another update when I hit October with my early season form and how my new signings are bedding. Until then, Happy Gaming Everyone.

First things first...I'm not a Liverpool supporter but a die hard Gunner. However, Liverpool's success last season and in particular the style of play under Klopp has me very impressed and intrigued. So I've decided to start a Liverpool save to emulate their style of play and have the fun of using Firmino/Mane/Salah up up top.

Transfers

I'm not the type of manager who goes out there and just buys a team of world class players because I don't see the fun in that. I will go for the big names occasionally but I also like to develop players (particularly at clubs where that is a philosophy like Arsenal and Liverpool). So my transfers are nothing special but more of a focus on bargains and potential. I also don't like to ship out half a squad, only players I judge as complete deadweight get the boot and the rest get given a chance. 

1173546135_livtrandfers.thumb.PNG.158518fba46a24ee4ec493db40da9ce8.PNG

The key area I wanted to improve were GK and midfield. My first signing was in midfield, I felt the squad lacked a bit of quickness in that area with Henderson/Can /Milner all being a bit slow.

I was tempted by Fabinho but Monaco want around 80mil for him, which is just not worth it. Danilo Perreira is a brilliant ball winner which is good because our style of play means we will concede a fair bit of possession. What stands out about him is that he is he is pretty quick and has good off the ball which means he suits the style of play perfectly and will be good at both ends of the pitch. So for me has basically a bargain Fabinho - the only thing he lacks is a bit of techincal ability on the ball.

danilo.thumb.PNG.4d86c61f00c61530d01a3d4ef455ec58.PNG

I wanted a sweeper keeper who had decent acceleration and skills with the ball. Horn has room for improvement but is also good enough to go straight into the first team. He was actually willing to sign for a rotation contract though which meant his wages were low too. Bargain.

horn.thumb.PNG.7c1086f4ef68a5389ba4aa4e2377dcca.PNG

Wonderkid De Ligt is always a good purchase and he will get games in the cups mainly while being eased into the league.

1723339389_deligt.thumb.PNG.4d6bc10a67e3ac2e22be8bf11dee91c3.PNG

Tactics

As I said, I want to emulate the heavy metal style of play and here is the main tactic I'll use:

*VVD and Firmino are currently injured and would take the place of Lovren and Solanke. 

livrealheavym.thumb.PNG.998eaa9d6659c9225654ed86611d7a6a.PNG

In the system, the front 3 all close down much more and tackle harder. The BWM does that by default and the mezzala also close down much more. 

If I'm faced against an extremely defensive team, I might have to change my style of play a bit to break them down as the main tactic is pretty reliant on space. So I can use this:

1091233264_livcamping433.thumb.PNG.672af8528136f31f4a7393d16fa0a708.PNG

Results:

The first match of the season was against Chelsea and I went with the heavy metal tactic. We demolished them 5-0.

1239306517_liv5-0chelsea.thumb.PNG.c18225083d1ab1d21d68d43201732497.PNG

After that we've gone pretty well.

results.thumb.PNG.e8fced854d6f5cdfb4542acb8f87751b.PNG

The only issue there is we were on the end of a 5-0 smashing ourselves. The thing is the scoreline is not at all reflective of how the match went.

livvsjuventus.thumb.PNG.921245b503b0877450876f51f39d5622.PNG

4 of the 5 goals came in the last 10 minutes. 3 of them while we were down to 10 and the last one while we down to 9. The first goal they scored was also very lucky. So we actually played decently and it was just one of those days. 

No major changes between season 2 and 3 for me. Fabinho came in as I was contemplating a change of system (although I think I have since changed my mind, but he gives a bit more flexibility if i do decide come back to the experiment later), but he will rotate with Hendo in the Dlp position, with Savic and Keita rotating for the Mez role. Spurs offered 50m for Clyne with only a year on his contract, so off he went as that's too good an offer for me, so Trippier is in as his replacement for 20m. Rui Patricio is in at GK to take over from Karius for around 11m and to bring a bit more leadership to the squad.

Aside from that goal this season is to give more game time to Woodburn, Brewster and Wilson (and maybe try the alternative system again)

December Update

So just reached halfway through my first season and thought I'd give a quick update. Currently sitting at the top of the league on goal difference so pretty happy but there have been a few shambolic results in the league, although it was early on whilst I was still tinkering with my tactic. The Champions League has been where we have really shined. After being drawn in a group containing PSG, Porto and APOEL, I was pretty confidant of securing second place to reach the latter stages but we topped the group, hammering PSG 3-0 away and 6-0 at home. Been drawn with Atletico in the last 16. In the league cup, we were handed a Merseyside derby which unfortunately didn't go our way, but having played a lot of youngsters and Everton playing a full strength team, it wasn't the end of the world. Our form has steadily improved throughout the season so looking forward to playing out the rest of campaign.

All of my new signings have really impressed which is good, but I still want more from Salah. He's having too many games in the low 6's. Milner hasn't been able to keep himself fit with one injury after another so he's off to West Ham with Lallana pretty much ready to come back. Firmino, Mane and Matip have all asked to join bigger clubs so we'll see how the situation plays out. If I can get decent money, I'd be willing to sell all 3 and reinvest the funds into bringing more English players into the club.

English Premier Division_ Overview Profile.png

Liverpool_  Senior Fixtures.png

Liverpool_ Players Players.png

So, I brought my Marco Rose tactic from Salzburg all the way to Merseyside with the intention of playing a high tempo - possession hungry - flair style of play. Now the lads have adjusted to what I've been asking of them and it's wonderful.

Possession

Not as much as I had with Salzburg but considering how tough the Premier League is, I'm made up with this so far.

14453303_avgposs.thumb.PNG.863ed65b276b7649ab5d713b3acad97a.PNG

Passes

I came into this looking to pick up between 600 & 700 passes per game. On average it's around 614.5 completed per game here.

553269152_Passcomplete.thumb.PNG.ac08f9d927e8a1677ed6707cdbc59cb3.PNG

Chances Created

There's no point in having all the possession but not being able to create any scoring opportunities. 

Chances.thumb.PNG.9cbd1dc7c58add6e490e2c7e4ff5b687.PNG

We're the second top goalscorers so far. With 11 goals in 5, one behind Burnley? :D

So far, so good. Very enjoyable experiment. 

Roughly halfway through season 3 and the youngsters up front are coming on nicely! 

Wilson got a chance with Mane seemingly permanently injured and has made the place his own (still can't get himself a Wales call up though!) Woodburn is quality, but at the moment Brewster is the main back up to Salah up front and has scored 16 in 14 and is apparently the new Jimmy Greaves.

Update

Our last 3 games of the season and league table shown below:

liv3games.thumb.PNG.8e1293759eaf626b20c52c442285b5c4.PNGliv2gamestogo.thumb.PNG.f4b6a29af2498192b4e74f575d006a7e.PNG

A top of the table clash, then Spurs at home followed by the Champions League final. A win against United would seal the title as our GD is huge. 

Man United's fixtures: 

livunitedfix.thumb.PNG.6e0c067a2c612cb09842d711aef70dd1.PNG

The big issue was that 2 of our best players were out for the final 2 premier league games. They would make it back in time for the CL final.

livinjuries.thumb.PNG.aa5dd62bed60354ac530d403c63f71f0.PNG

Salah and Mane were both injured which meant youngsters like Solanke, Woodburn and Brewster had to step up. 

liv1manu1.thumb.PNG.f2c458c58c52ce667f32621cba06050f.PNGlivtable1.thumb.PNG.7c77d76aa592dd1dda52938c71dd64e9.PNG

We went up early through Solanke but Lukaku equalized and there was not much between the two teams. This meant that we probably had to beat Spurs in the final game of the season because United were probably going to beat Watford.

livlastgame.thumb.PNG.7ad73f41017516fe27b010a626fa5484.PNGlivfinaltable.thumb.PNG.9bed784eead25587884ac4a7494a6345.PNG

We managed to beat Spurs on the final day of the season and clinch the title! Lallana and Oxlade Chamberlain really stepping up in the absence of Salah and Mane and scoring 2 important goals.

Now to the CL final. Salah and Mane were back for the game. 

licclfinal11.thumb.PNG.72324b9b4339621126cbd552e2dd8e23.PNGliv1bayern0.thumb.PNG.4fb0c815c50ccecca276e73c9a82b03e.PNG

And we managed to pull it off! We were able to create plenty of chances, we had 6 clear cut chances to Bayern's 1, indicating we could have easily won by more. Bobby Firmino ended his fantastic CL campaign with the winner in the final and Alex Oxlade Chamberlain put in an amazing performance as he assisted Firmino for the winner, created 4 chances and had 9 key passes in the game. Salah and Mane were surprising terrible in the final finishing with average ratings of 5.4 and 5.9 respectively. 

livdouble.thumb.PNG.5adc768cc8d74d347b2e3904c6911a37.PNG

Award Winners:

salah.thumb.PNG.9207e5148b2b469d87707584273f544f.PNGox.thumb.PNG.e906d965d990dc0f55312f5c33889b41.PNG

Salah managed 20+ for both goals and assists in the PL and won the player of the year award. Oxlade Chamberlain was the suprise packet of the season. At the start of the season he was mainly coming off the bench as Wijnaldum was in great form in midfield and Salah and Mane of course play the wide roles. Wijnaldum got a bit of an injury and this gave Oxlade Chamberlain a chance to make that midfield role he desperately wants his own. And he sure did that as he was named the young player of the year. 

In the CL:

championscupawardwinners.thumb.PNG.65485a0eccf676c64648a19d92830e7d.PNGbobbyfirminogoldenboot.thumb.PNG.1d7d7ed9e4417ed4d35eeef79352dcbb.PNG

Van Dijk was defender of the season, Oxlade Chamberlain translated his PL form into the CL where was the midfielder of the season aswell! and finally, Bobby Firmino was unstoppable upfront and was named forward of the season along with claiming the golden boot award.

End of Season Update

So finished my first with Liverpool and I'm delighted with how thing went. Won the league comfortably only drawing twice and getting beat 4 times.

879046078_Liverpool_Competitions.thumb.png.84159312ef40f7f6eef0c6e8094890a8.png

1787994978_Liverpool_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.884f3cf014010e0237000fbf30550534.png

My 4 preseason signings were in the top 5 average rating for the season so I'm delighted with that. Brewster can't really be counted there due to the small amount of games he played.

1733207336_Liverpool_PlayersPlayers-2.thumb.png.3f3314ddcf6fdda0b81ee11445a60698.png

Both cups were a disappointment but we more than made up for it by winning the Champions League. After breezing by Atletico in the last 16, I wanted to avoid the likes of Madrid and Barcelona and we were given a team who's number we had had all season, Tottenham. After them came a mouthwatering semi-final, Man Utd. Again, we had had the better of them in our games in the league and this was no different which set up an uber-glamorous meeting in the final with Spartak Moscow?!?!?

38347509_SpartakMoscow_ScheduleSeniorSquad.thumb.png.df336a82400e43d6bbefeac1312dada0.png

What. The. ****. 

With regards for the coming campaign, I wanted to get rid of the deadwood I wouldn't be using so out went Flanagan, Sturridge, Origi and Markovic. Van Dijk had been a giant pain in the *** all season, taking offence to the slightest little thing, crying when someone stood on his toes and just being a general muppet so glad to see the back of him with Maguire coming in as backup along with Matip to De Ligt and Gomez. Mings wanted to go to PSG and I was sad to see him go but that gave me the chance to bring in the Don. Dier has come in to compete with Can for DM as I still didn't have anyone I was comfortable with deputising there and I want Henderson to play further forward. 

Now, onto the dilemma. Firmino had a 82 million release clause which Real invoked so now I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I'm more than happy to go with Dolberg as my main striker as he was sensational last year but I just don't know if Woodburn is ready to step up yet if Dolberg gets injuried. I could use Salah up top and Janssen has come in strictly as backup. I really want to defend my crown in the Champions League and I feel I may need more firepower to do that. My first choice was Kane and after trying to unsettle him all preseason, he has just signed a new contract at Spurs, dashing my hopes. Belotti and Icardi have both went to Man City so the only real superstar I can sign is Dybala. He's going to cost 110 million with wages of around 275k. I have the money but I don't know if I want to spend it. With Aguero and Jesus both still at City, I may be able to get Belotti or Icardi next season, or even get my number one choice, Kane. I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1988045701_Liverpool_TransferHistory.thumb.png.23c4e042cb23b215f746b05650abac8c.png

I have included screenshots of my top youngsters, both ones I inherited and ones from my first youth intake.

486207842_TrentAlexander-Arnold_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b83804a30b206e0343ae9710474c22e2.png

793103450_JoeGomez_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.456650fb525175badb7f2cb522504c88.png

1416022381_BenWoodburn_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.70ca7536006a47b62a795dafe4c659e7.png

1887833595_RhianBrewster_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d0ccff3c62a25256923b502d848832ee.png

346279992_RickyLePrevost_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.834162668dcb47d5e99c3feda3885cf9.png

2101762689_MikeDavies_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a524cc1af382851fa43f18804171035c.png

1326047242_BastianFeuerherdt_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.0fbc9e5a5e4847171459bf635a07bb32.png

23685532_MorganPoirier_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.567de44cd6881c30fa1be48799d7fa1d.png

17 hours ago, Kevmcc87 said:

End of Season Update

So finished my first with Liverpool and I'm delighted with how thing went. Won the league comfortably only drawing twice and getting beat 4 times.

879046078_Liverpool_Competitions.thumb.png.84159312ef40f7f6eef0c6e8094890a8.png

1787994978_Liverpool_SeniorFixtures-2.thumb.png.884f3cf014010e0237000fbf30550534.png

My 4 preseason signings were in the top 5 average rating for the season so I'm delighted with that. Brewster can't really be counted there due to the small amount of games he played.

1733207336_Liverpool_PlayersPlayers-2.thumb.png.3f3314ddcf6fdda0b81ee11445a60698.png

Both cups were a disappointment but we more than made up for it by winning the Champions League. After breezing by Atletico in the last 16, I wanted to avoid the likes of Madrid and Barcelona and we were given a team who's number we had had all season, Tottenham. After them came a mouthwatering semi-final, Man Utd. Again, we had had the better of them in our games in the league and this was no different which set up an uber-glamorous meeting in the final with Spartak Moscow?!?!?

38347509_SpartakMoscow_ScheduleSeniorSquad.thumb.png.df336a82400e43d6bbefeac1312dada0.png

What. The. ****. 

With regards for the coming campaign, I wanted to get rid of the deadwood I wouldn't be using so out went Flanagan, Sturridge, Origi and Markovic. Van Dijk had been a giant pain in the *** all season, taking offence to the slightest little thing, crying when someone stood on his toes and just being a general muppet so glad to see the back of him with Maguire coming in as backup along with Matip to De Ligt and Gomez. Mings wanted to go to PSG and I was sad to see him go but that gave me the chance to bring in the Don. Dier has come in to compete with Can for DM as I still didn't have anyone I was comfortable with deputising there and I want Henderson to play further forward. 

Now, onto the dilemma. Firmino had a 82 million release clause which Real invoked so now I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, I'm more than happy to go with Dolberg as my main striker as he was sensational last year but I just don't know if Woodburn is ready to step up yet if Dolberg gets injuried. I could use Salah up top and Janssen has come in strictly as backup. I really want to defend my crown in the Champions League and I feel I may need more firepower to do that. My first choice was Kane and after trying to unsettle him all preseason, he has just signed a new contract at Spurs, dashing my hopes. Belotti and Icardi have both went to Man City so the only real superstar I can sign is Dybala. He's going to cost 110 million with wages of around 275k. I have the money but I don't know if I want to spend it. With Aguero and Jesus both still at City, I may be able to get Belotti or Icardi next season, or even get my number one choice, Kane. I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1988045701_Liverpool_TransferHistory.thumb.png.23c4e042cb23b215f746b05650abac8c.png

I have included screenshots of my top youngsters, both ones I inherited and ones from my first youth intake.

486207842_TrentAlexander-Arnold_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b83804a30b206e0343ae9710474c22e2.png

793103450_JoeGomez_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.456650fb525175badb7f2cb522504c88.png

1416022381_BenWoodburn_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.70ca7536006a47b62a795dafe4c659e7.png

1887833595_RhianBrewster_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d0ccff3c62a25256923b502d848832ee.png

346279992_RickyLePrevost_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.834162668dcb47d5e99c3feda3885cf9.png

2101762689_MikeDavies_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a524cc1af382851fa43f18804171035c.png

1326047242_BastianFeuerherdt_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.0fbc9e5a5e4847171459bf635a07bb32.png

23685532_MorganPoirier_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.567de44cd6881c30fa1be48799d7fa1d.png

Both Kane and Dybala are great for me at Liverpool.  Sometimes you can work hard at unsettling them both.  It took me about a season but I eventually got Dybala for 90m (220k wages) and Kane (who by the way had also just signed a new deal with spurs) for 80m (170k wages).  It can be done if you are patient.  I also had madrid invoke Firminho clause which is why I bought them.  I play Dybala just behind Kane and they both bang in 30+ per season on a regular basis.  On another note - I manegd to unsettle Dele Ali and got him for 50m (he is rotated  with dybala)

13 hours ago, gmulv said:

Both Kane and Dybala are great for me at Liverpool.  Sometimes you can work hard at unsettling them both.  It took me about a season but I eventually got Dybala for 90m (220k wages) and Kane (who by the way had also just signed a new deal with spurs) for 80m (170k wages).  It can be done if you are patient.  I also had madrid invoke Firminho clause which is why I bought them.  I play Dybala just behind Kane and they both bang in 30+ per season on a regular basis.  On another note - I manegd to unsettle Dele Ali and got him for 50m (he is rotated  with dybala)

What was your process for unsettling these players? If you don’t mind me asking. 

11 hours ago, Urbanscrumper said:

What was your process for unsettling these players? If you don’t mind me asking. 

I made them my top target (1 at a time) Dybale one season then Kane the next.  I then basically scouted them continously, attended some games myself and asked Henderson to sell the club to him, or words to that effect....It took about a season if doing that before they were both really interested and asked to leave (I had also wond the title and champions leage the same season so that may have also helped)

On 22/06/2018 at 05:45, gmulv said:

I made them my top target (1 at a time) Dybale one season then Kane the next.  I then basically scouted them continously, attended some games myself and asked Henderson to sell the club to him, or words to that effect....It took about a season if doing that before they were both really interested and asked to leave (I had also wond the title and champions leage the same season so that may have also helped)

How often would you get Henderson to sell the club to them and declare interest in them?

Started my second annual LFC save (one at the start of every FM, one towards the ending with summer transfers edited). A bit earlier than usual, but when the urge calls you, you have to obey!

Decided to do it a bit different this time to make it slightly interesting. I've created a shortlist of 13 players who's the only 13 players I'll ever buy. The rest I'll have to develop from my youth team. However, with a healthy starting transfer budget, I've already gotten 6 out of the 13 transfers secured. De Ligt is signed with a one year loan, Lincoln will come in january 2019. Milinkovic-Savic, Casemiro, Felipe Anderson and Jose Gaya is also done. Ter Stegen, Lafont, N. Semedo, Jorge, Marquinhos, Leon Bailey and Harry Kane left.

I feel like this is the strongest LFC team I've ever started with on FM. With the additions I've made, I think my biggest problem will be to keep my midfielders all happy. I'll use Ox as a winger and I've sold Gini+Grujic. But still, Fabinho, Casemiro, Hendo, Lallana, Keita, Savic and Milner is one hell of a midfield to rotate between. The only weakness I can see in my squad is GK and ST depth. Hopefully I'll be able to get one of Ter Stegen/Kane next season and one the one after that. Woodburn, Solanke and Brewster will all be developed, Ings has been sent out on loan, Studge, Origi, Moreno, Mignolet, Allan, Markovic and Bogdan has all been sold. Looking to move on one of Matip/Lovren as well, but might wait a season until De Ligt comes in. I'm guessing Milner and Lallana is on their last seasons as well.

Tactics inspired by a couple of the ones above, with a few personal tweaks. I also have a good number of player specific roles, for instance I'll be using an attacking winger on the right whenever I'm not using Salah or Anderson.

1925198391_Liverpool_Overview.thumb.png.16c70bbd38598cf0e0cd18ee61e0e1e8.png

•  

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 06:34, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Funny you should say that..

uxmZLEo.png

Playing a False 9 rather than a Complete Forward was a mistake. Used a Napoli tactic as a template where Mertens was the main attacking outlet so wasn't to hold up the ball. Complete Forward means that Firminho will hold up the ball for which is particularly dangerous given his intelligence and the attacking movement of Salah and Mane.

This aside, the system remains unchanged apart from restructuring the midfield around the signing of Naby Keita.

My preference is to have playmakers deep, and facilitating build-up play early on. Keita is a fantastic player who's strength is picking up the ball from defence and driving forward into the heart of the opposition midfield, creating havoc and opening space for those around him.

Fabinho is the perfect counter-weight. An intelligent all-round midfield player who can anchor a midfield well and facilitate build-up.

UBP0dT0.png

The addition of Fabinho & Keita means we can now build up from the back, so - new goalkeeper - Rulli now distributes the ball to our centre backs.

• Fabinho sits deep, shielding the defence and regularly drops into defence to create a passing option when under pressure.
  • Keita is our playmaker, dropping deep to get the ball and then driving forward.
  • Henderson takes the midfield runner role, supporting Keita and using his engine to get everywhere.
  • Wingbacks create width.
  • Firminho occupies opposition defenders, drops of deep or drifts wide and is also an effective attacking threat.
  • Salah is the spearhead of the team, ably supported by Mane using their pace and movement to get in behind opposition defences.

Keita is the heart-beat of the team, regularly hitting 100+ passes and helping control games.

SjYxLRO.png

..and Salah is my first non-Messi/Ronaldo Balon d'Or winner of FM 2018!

w3JX8w4.png

Hello @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, any player instruction on this formation?

Season 4 and playing against defensive 4141's every single week is getting a touch dull!

Trying to shift away from the 433 assymetric we've played for the first 3 seasons to a 3412/5212 (depending on your perspective), but the free flowing football isn't free or flowing at the moment thanks to the 9 defenders every week!

Europe has been a different story thankfully, RBL were beaten 4-0 away and 7-0 at home!

So I started my Liverpool game and have had a decent first half season. I am sitting comfortably at 2nd and have gone through the CL matches as well. In transfers, I bought Kane from Tottenham who has been brilliant as a F9 and have only sold Klavan and Bogdan so far.

Now though, some of the players are starting to grumble and want to move.

Firmino is being unsettled by Man City and I expect an offer to come through any day now that the window is open again.

Moreno wants to go to Paris SG and refused my improved contract offer.

Salah wants to move to Real Madrid because they're such a good team (ugh)

This will leave a big gap in my team when they move. I've been going through the transfer market but haven't really nailed down any good people. Any suggestions on replacing these three when they go? In the current season I still have 38m pounds left in my budget and if I sell either of the three, it should be respectable again to buy some big names.

^^^

They may not go. Firminho was off to City in every transfer window of the first 3 seasons in my save and a bid never came in, although even having won the title and the champions league in both 1st and second season he still fancied a move to a "bigger club"!

I got shot of Moreno sharpish!

3 hours ago, Ashtennisguru said:

^^^

They may not go. Firminho was off to City in every transfer window of the first 3 seasons in my save and a bid never came in, although even having won the title and the champions league in both 1st and second season he still fancied a move to a "bigger club"!

I got shot of Moreno sharpish!

Haha you were right! No offers came in for Firmino or Mane and then after the window closed I got a mail from both saying they'll stay since "no other clubs showed interest"

Nobody made an offer for Moreno either but Quanjian made an offer for Lovren and I am considering letting him go!

^^^ it happens quite a lot like that. Last season Keita wanted to go to Barca as they are a "bigger club" (even though we beat them in Champs league final and are the most reputable club in the world) and Sergej wanted to go to PSG as they have "better players" ( even though we beat them in SF's 6-1 on aggregate). He's currently agreed to stay as long as my signings meet his approval!

The only big name who left was Mane and that was because I wasn't playing as he didn't fit the system any more.

31 minutes ago, Ashtennisguru said:

^^^ it happens quite a lot like that. Last season Keita wanted to go to Barca as they are a "bigger club" (even though we beat them in Champs league final and are the most reputable club in the world) and Sergej wanted to go to PSG as they have "better players" ( even though we beat them in SF's 6-1 on aggregate). He's currently agreed to stay as long as my signings meet his approval!

The only big name who left was Mane and that was because I wasn't playing as he didn't fit the system any more.

Game's gone broke! Matip wanted to leave to fulfil his dream of winning the champions cup. I got him to  stay by saying we can do it next season :D

Ive closed the door on FM & my Liverpool save after 12 seasons 

League:7 times (won the first 6 in a row)

Fa cup:2 times 

Champions League:3 times 

League cup:4 times 

World club:2 times 

European super cup:2 times 

Comm shield:8 times 

Happy with this save Beletti was my best signing a goal scoring machine but let him go later on as i went for youth my best season was the 2025/26 season when i won all 4 trophies up for grabs Ive made Stevie G manager ill be seeing how he goes with my squad & see it change look forward to FM 19 but you never know 

Salah is banging them in left, right and centre since I switched to my new tactic.  Was using an Very Fluid High Creativity tactic before which he was doing okay in.  Now switched to flexible attacking.

2a4pvo4.jpg

On 12/07/2018 at 17:15, ckny said:

Salah is banging them in left, right and centre since I switched to my new tactic.  Was using an Very Fluid High Creativity tactic before which he was doing okay in.  Now switched to flexible attacking.

2a4pvo4.jpg

What tatic are you using??

Hi, I’ve just got to January in my first season and currently sat 4th. 

Im after some advice, Salah hasn’t really done anything for me although he’s been injured for 1-2 month but nothing when fit. I signed Volland for RW/ST rotation and he’s got into double figures but I’m missing an out and out striker as Firminio isn’t scoring much.

Am I missing something or is there a tactic/role to get him scoring? Or can anyone recommend a striker who will get me the goals. I have around about 35m to spend and want someone in to try challenge for the league in last half of season.

Thanks in advance.

Due to Firmino telling me in a private chat* that he "doesn't want to play for the club any more" (and as far as I'm concerned he can rot unless he's sold - I despise disloyalty), I've been playing Salah and Ings up front in a flat 4-4-2. In lesser games it's Solanke and Woodburn.

Ings is absolutely smashing it - 14 in 14, valued at £31.5m, and with Salah being pretty inconsistent and prone to the occasional <6.5 rating, I'd even say Ings is my first choice forward. It's pretty remarkable since I've never had Ings scoring even remotely consistently before in FM. Yet here he is playing like a boss.

*Madrid were interested in Firmino, he steadfastly refused any carrot I dangled and even said I can "offer him all the money in the world...", then when I moved him to the U23's he didn't complain at all, just has listed in his personal information that he is hoping to leave the club in the near future. We are top of the league with 20 played, destroyed our Champions League group (Dortmund, FCP, Plzen), and into the LC semi-final... so we're not missing him. 

Mané also wants to leave after interest from the usual clubs (Madrid, PSG, City), but he was nowhere near as rude as Bobby in our chat, and continues to play well for the first team (right midfield).

First season completed, and somewhat unrealistically won the League, Champions League, and League Cup (FA Cup semi final loss to Chelsea on penalties).

Beat Barcelona 6-0 in the Champions League Final, and their manager was immediately sacked :D 

Won the title by a solitary point above Man Utd.

Players in (2017/18):

GK Alisson £22m + p/ex Mignolet

CB de Ligt £15m straight cash

Players out:

Lovren - Barcelona £25m (£32.5m)

Bogdan - Lokomotiv Moscow £2m (£2.9m)

Dhanda - Middlesbrough £190k

Ward - Reading (loan)

Kane - Hartlepool (Loan)

Salah was the League's top goalscorer, and is the most valuable player in my save at £88m. Ings is a key player (I know), Trent is a £65m-rated 19yr old, Alisson has a good decade+ ahead of him with us.

Plans for this season are to win the title more convincingly, and shift a lot more players. We got a potential World Class midfielder in the youth intake, valued at £2.6m on signing his first youth contract, absolutely incredible looking talent for 15yrs old. Very excited about him.

Archived