FM18 - Tour de Challenges

Before there used to be a set of monthly challenges in this forum. There has been some interest for this, but lack of commitment to uphold this. So I thought I will run a series of challenges for FM18. I have decided to create this as an inspiration from the great bike race. Therefor managers can contest for the grand overall victory of the yellow jersey, go for intermediate sprints or climbs or go all out solo for a stage win.

Basic information:

There will be 10 challenges, split in 3 parts. 1 prologue (very short challenge), 7 standard challenges (called stages for the naming here) and 2 final challenges (still stages, but a bit longer than the rest.)

In each stage players will score points based on certain criteria, and rules might vary a bit from stage to stage. All stages will last from 3-5 weeks, and should not be a problem to complete. You might try each stage as many times as you want, but post your update before the latest date to make it count. Clubs/nations all over the world will be visited so you have a chance to get familiar with the football world. For those who take part in the whole series or more than one stage you get to bring your manager character onwards from stage to stage.

Overall rules:

- You must never use any kind of editor for any of the stages, unless you are specifically told to do so. This goes for in game or pre-game editor or any tool downloaded.

- You can not use any extra database file downloaded or created unless you are specifically told to do so. Name Fix, color fix are the only ones excluded from this rule.

Negative scoring:

In the event of a manager achieving negative scoring, the following rule comes into place:

Yellow, green and polkadot jersy: all negative scoring will be set to 0 points. 

As for Stage Win, if more managers have negative scoring, the lowest negative value will be counted as the best score. (Example: -10 is better than -20)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Provisional overall leaderboards

Yellow jersey (Current holder: @TheEarl)

Manager       - yellow jersey points - last stage (number of stages completed)

@TheEarl                   - 165 - Stage 2 (3)
@Watson156             - 151 - Stage 2 (3)
@Skogmus                -  85  - Stage 2 (3)
@kkfootball               -  74  - Stage 1 (2)
@abirdc                     -  65  - Stage 2 (2)
@XaW                        -  45  - Stage 1 (1)
@vossmaj                  -  37  - Stage 2 (3)
@fabreth                   -  35  - Stage 1 (2) 
@Fadedaf                  -  14 -  Stage 2 (2) 
@kccircle                   - 13 - Prologue (1)
@thomas_e               - 12 - Prologue (1)
@Pino                        -  7  - Prologue (1)
@GwilymJJames         -  7 - Prologue (1)
@Ice Ice Gravy           -  5  - Stage 2 (2)
@vikeologist               - 5  - Prologue (1)
@skills                        -  5 - Prologue (1)
@Pip                           - 5  - Prologue (1)

Green jersey (Current holder: @Watson156)

Manager       - green jersey points - last stage (number of stages completed)

@Watson156              - 97  - Stage 2 (3)
@TheEarl                     - 90 - Stage 2 (3)
@Skogmus                  - 66 - Stage 2 (3)
@abirdc                       - 46 - Stage 2 (2)
@kkfootball                 - 44 - Stage 1 (2)
@vossmaj                   -  33 - Stage 2 (3)
@Fadedaf                    - 24 - Stage 2 (2)
@Ice Ice Gravy            - 22  - Stage 2 (22)
@XaW                          - 18 - Stage 1 (1)
@fabreth                     - 12 - Stage 1 (2)
@vikeologist               - 10 - Prologue (1)
@kccircle                    -  8  - Prologue (1)
@GwilymJJames          - 6  - Prologue (1)
@Pino                         - 5  - Prologue (1)
@skills                         - 5  - Prologue (1)
@thomas_e                 - 2  - Prologue (1)
@Pip                            - 0  - Prologue (1)

Polkadot jersey (Current holder: @TheEarl, wearer: @Skogmus)

@TheEarl                    - 39 - Stage 2 (3)
@Watson156              - 37 - Stage 2 (3)
@Skogmus                 - 29 - Stage 2 (3)
@abirdc                      - 19 - Stage 2 (2)
@kkfootball                - 16 - Stage 1 (2)
@fabreth                    - 15 - Stage 1 (2)
@Fadedaf                   - 12 - Stage 2 (2)
@vossmaj                   -  9  - Stage 2 (3)
@XaW                         -  7  - Stage 1 (1)
@Ice Ice Gravy           -  2  - Stage 2 (2)

Stage winners so far

Prologue: Gold: @Watson156 , Silver: @TheEarl , Bronze: @Skogmus
Stage 1: Gold: @Watson156 , Silver: @Skogmus , Bronze: @kkfootball
Stage 2: Gold: @TheEarl , Silver: @Watson156 , Bronze: @Fadedaf

Total medals:

@Watson156      - 2 Gold - 1 Silver - 0 Bronze
@TheEarl            - 1 Gold - 1 Silver - 0 Bronze
@Skogmus         - 0 Gold - 1 Silver - 1 Bronze
@kkfootball        - 0 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze
@Fadedaf           - 0 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze

Provisional Stage 3 leaderboards

Prologue - (Un)Friendly Derby

Deadline for submissions: 26th November 2017 23:59pm UK time

Team(s): Either AIK, Djurgården or Hammarby (Swedish Premier Division - aka Allsvenskan)

Setup instructions:

Load a new game of FM18. Choose the following leagues: England only Premier League (Tier 1) important, and of course Sweden (minimum down to Tier 2). You might add as few or many other leagues as you want. Database size is totally optional, the same goes for adding extra players. Tick off: Do not add additional staff and prevent use of in game editor. All other checked boxes should be unticked. Important: Set starting date to late pre-season in England 2017/18. Make a manager that you are not going to use, name him whatever you like (something like Retired Man perhaps).

Enter the game, and without processing go straight to the league table of Allsvenskan. This should be on July 16th 2017. The teams should now have played 15-17 matches depending on European Fixtures. Check the league position for the 3 Stockholm based teams AIK, Djurgården and Hammarby. All of them are expected to finish pretty high, so if you are lucky they are numbers 1-3. You can reload and do this as many times as you want. But your task is: take over the worst placed team of the 3. 

Add a manager, set your birth date to the year 1997 (day and month is optional) , no coaching badges and sunday league football experience. Take over the club placed worst of the 3 Stockholm teams. You can move the very few manager attributes you have in any order you like. Nationality should either be just 1 nationality of your liking or your true genuine nationality(ies) no extra languages spoken. For those who plan to go play more stages, keep in mind you need to stick with the same nationality later on.

Now its time to manage the club. The aim is of course to do as good as you can for half a season, then you are off to other hunting grounds.

Aim: Obviously to win the Allsvenskan or do as well as possible. The cup runs in a different time frame than the league, so you can do as you like there, it will not count. If AIK is the worst team, they play in Europa League Qualifiers, this is also disregarded for the purpose of this Stage.

Scoring system

Yellow jersey: Points will be awarded for final league positions and for number of league wins and league goals scored (plus bonus points for Stage Victory)

Finishing position                  Yellow jersey points

15th-16th                                0 points

14th                                         1 point

9th-13th                                  2 points

6th-8th                                    3 points

5th                                           5 points

4th                                           7 points

3rd                                           9 points

2nd                                         12 points

1st                                           15 points

Each league win                    1 point per win (counted from league match 18-30)

Each 10 league goals            1 point per 10 goals (counted from league match 18-30)

Green jersey: Points will be awarded for points taken and goals scored in Stockholm Derby matches. So matches against the other 2 teams not chosen.

Criteria                                    Green jersey points

Stockholm Derby win           3 points

Stockholm Derby draw        1 point

Stockholm Derby goals        1 point (per goal)

Polkadot jersey: No points awarded in the Prologue, this features comes during the ordinary stages.

Stage win: Stage victory will be awarded with Gold, Silver and Bronze. They will be awarded for the following criteria:

The manager to bring his team most places up from the starting position. So if you take over a team in 15th position and bring them 7th that is 8 positions. The manager with most positions wins Gold, then Silver and Bronze. There will be no ties, and separation will be done based on the number of points up to the actual position you climbed.

Stage victory                           Bonus points

Gold                                        5 yellow jersey points, 3 green jersey points

Silver                                       3 yellow jersey points, 2 green jersey points 

Bronze                                    1 yellow jersey point, 1 green jersey point

Submission: Please post your submission before deadline (26th November) including the following screenshots:

- Manager profile on 16th of July

- Manager profile at the end of the season

- Setup screen before you started the game

- League Table on 16th of July

- League Table at the end of the season

- Fixture list (all season also matches AI played, so might be in 2-3 parts)

Feel free to update as much as you want during process, but at least submit with these screenshots as a minimum.

If you have any questions please ask, and I will answer as fast and duly as possible

Can this challenge be played on FM Touch?

I will allow this as long as you comply with the rules as best you can. Currently you can't win Stage wins with Touch use. For Stage 2 and 3 upcoming, Touch users can also win Stage wins.

There is currently a problem managing teams in Sweden. See this post...

I will make a work around for this tomorrow regarding this challenge and the Prologue Stage.

Stage 1 - Cape Town City is know to enter either Champions League or Confederations Cup for 2018.

This is related to whether a South African team wins CL in 2017 or not. Points will be rewarded for both Champions League and Confederations Cup 2018.

Here is my finished results. Absolutely loved this prologue, never managed in Sweden before but really enjoyed it, I was however disappointed that I only got to play 1 derby game. I will probably carry this save on while I wait for the next stage to start!

Fixtures 1 - Before I took over

Fixtures 2 - My results

League Table

Manager Profile

So by my reckoning these are my current points:

Yellow Jersey: 12 Wins = 12 points | 31 Goals = 3 points | 6th Place finish = 3 points | Grand Total = 18 points

Green Jersey: 1 Win = 3 points | 4 Goals = 4 points | Grand Total = 7 points

Stage Win: + 10 Places

@Watson156 Congrats. It was a bit dispiriting to see how well you'd done, although having played a few more matches myself now, maybe I won't be too far behind. 2nd of 2 will still be last place though, so hopefully a few more people are going to join in, or are currently doing it, but waiting to see how well they do first. Plenty of time before the deadline of course.

7 hours ago, Watson156 said:

Here is my finished results. Absolutely loved this prologue, never managed in Sweden before but really enjoyed it, I was however disappointed that I only got to play 1 derby game. I will probably carry this save on while I wait for the next stage to start!

Fixtures 2 - My results

League Table

Manager Profile

So by my reckoning these are my current points:

Yellow Jersey: 12 Wins = 12 points | 31 Goals = 3 points | Grand Total = 15 points

Green Jersey: 1 Win = 3 points | 4 Goals = 4 points | Grand Total = 7 points

Stage Win: + 10 Places

Seems you got most of it, but you forgot the 3 points from finishing 6th ;)

@vikeologist nice to see you in also. I think there will be some people to take part in this. There is plenty of time before the deadline, and really this prologue can be played in matter of just a few hours.

@Watson156 did you apply for a Nacional C License , and if so do you know if its long before you will complete it?

5 hours ago, TheEarl said:

Seems you got most of it, but you forgot the 3 points from finishing 6th ;)

Doh! Cant believe that I forgot to add that in. I had it written down in front of me as I was adding all the points up as well. I'll add it into my points now!

5 hours ago, TheEarl said:

@vikeologist nice to see you in also. I think there will be some people to take part in this. There is plenty of time before the deadline, and really this prologue can be played in matter of just a few hours.

@Watson156 did you apply for a Nacional C License , and if so do you know if its long before you will complete it?

I did apply for a Nacional C License, as I thought that it might help to get some players back on my side. I can't remember when I applied for it though. Once I have completed it, I will work back and see how long it takes. Off the top of my head I think that it is 4 months?

EDIT: I can confirm that it takes 4 months to get your Nacional C Licence. 

Unlike @Watson156, I did not enjoy that at all. Going to steal his formatting.

Although I picked up a win and draw in my first 2 matches, things never really came together. We finished 14th, and face a playoff, but hopefully I don't have to play those matches, because I've had enough, (beta or not) of FM18 for the moment.

I did however have 2 derby matches unlike W156, and I managed to win both of them. In fact it looked as though they might be the only 2 matches that I would win from the 18th match onwards, and I thought people would think that I had cheated by reloading those matches. (To be clear, I did not cheat or reload at all). So, depending on the stage victory results, my green jersey score will be better or equal to W156's because I had the advantage of the extra match.

Fixtures 2 - My results

League Table

Manager Profile

Yellow Jersey: 3 Wins = 3 points | 12 Goals = 1 points | 14th Place finish = 1 points | Grand Total = 5 points

Green Jersey: 2 Win = 6 points | 4 Goals = 4 points | Grand Total = 10 points

Stage Win: + 2 Places

So, @TheEarl How will we be able to continue with our manager profiles?

Anyway, hope more people will join in by the deadline. Pretty tough start to the challenge, but once the full version comes out, maybe the league table will look different when people take over. 

@fabreth - Thanks for letting me know, yes please holiday with the "Retired Man" until 16th July and then choose a team.

@Fadedaf - Hope you will join also, even if you play other challenge(s) is shouldn't take too much time to complete the Prologue.

@vikeologist - my first idea kind of went down the drain, so need to find out how we make the profile live on for further stages.

Okay, so I've finished the Prologue! Loved this challenge, although no wins in the last 6 games feels bitter! 

Setup

Manager profile before I took over

Fixture before taking over

League Teable before taking over

-------------------------------------------------

End of season fixture list

End of Season Table

End of season manager profile

Okay, so if i got the scoring system right, this is how I did:

Yellow Jersey:
Finished 7th:     3 points
7 League Wins: 7 points
20 league goals: 2 points
                               12 points total

Green Jersey:
0-0 vs AIK:                1 point
1-4 vs Djurgården: 1 point
                                   2  points total

Regarding the stage win I brought my team up from 11th to 7th.

Updated leaderboards with @thomas_e entry. Will be interesting to see if someone takes another team than Hammarby as all 3 entries so far is with "Bajen" team. (I tested the reload twice before I set up the challenge, was Hammarby and AIK once each, will test some more to see the likelihood of Djurgården appearing)

@kkfootball welcome, so Hammarby it its once again.

@Muttley84 firs my apology for not mentioning the Touch version, and not thinking about it when setting it up. A few questions, attribute masking is always disabled on Touch right? Also is it possible to chose starting date on Touch?

I hope we can make it possible to participate on Touch as well, but at least I will try to change this for the further stages.

Loved managing in Sweden. Shame I couldn't recall Gershon Koffie because I really could've used them. I played a 2-2-3-3 for the bulk of my time and it worked like a charm.

Fixtures 1 - Before I took over

Fixtures 2 - My results

League Table

Manager Profile

Yellow Jersey: 10 Wins = 10 points | 36 Goals = 3 points | 5th Place finish = 5 points | Grand Total = 18 points

Green Jersey:  2 Wins = 6 points | 7 Goals = 7 points | Grand Total = 13 points edit:addition faliure

Stage Win: + 7 Places

Great to see the interest this challenge series has got so far. Hopefully many more will join a long the way as the full game will be released soon.

@kkfootball very nice season, and happy to hear you enjoyed Sweden. Your calculation for Green Jersey points where a bit wrong, as 6+7=13 in my world. I corrected this for the leaderboards.

@Muttley84 my decision on using FM Touch should be something like this: compete like everyone else, try to stick as "close" to the full rules as possible. You will be counted for Yellow/Green/Polkadot jersey competitions, but not for Stage Wins. I will try to make a few of the stages with rules the comply for both full and touch versions, but can't promise it to yield for every stage though.

Everyone: The leaderboards as you see is decided into overall and one per stage. Is that enough or should it be one per jersey as well?

For my self, I have just started the game, but will not post my starting position and progress until I finished the game. I can reveal though, that the team is NOT Hammarby...

On 11/6/2017 at 15:51, thomas_e said:

Okay, so I've finished the Prologue! Loved this challenge, although no wins in the last 6 games feels bitter! 

Setup

Manager profile before I took over

Fixtures before I took over

League Teable before taking over

-------------------------------------------------

End of season fixture list

End of season table

End of season manager profile

Okay, so if i got the scoring system right, this is how I did:

Yellow Jersey:
Finished 7th:     3 points
7 League Wins: 7 points
20 league goals: 2 points
                               12 points total

Green Jersey:
0-0 vs AIK:                1 point
1-4 vs Djurgården: 1 point
                                   2  points total

Regarding the stage win I brought my team up from 11th to 7th.

I have confirmed your results as I "always" believe people to give the correct information, but is it just me or I can't see your screenshots @thomas_e??

10 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

@TheEarl, I used a new website to upload the photos, maybe I just view them on my personal profile? 

If so, I do apologise, what site do you use to upload photos? 

There are many, I use photobucket because I have an account there, but I think there are better options out there. Just check if you log out of your user and click the link that you made if you still can view the screenshot, if not there is something you need to edit.

4 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Oh God, I'm going to be rock bottom. I might need to keep doing this prologue until I find a tactic that works.

Points scoring will be higher when the stages last for one or more seasons, so there is plenty of time to make up the charts.

I really liked the Swedish scenario also, but despite trying to play really offensive football, struggled to score a lot of goals. Only 19 and thus 1 point in that area. In the end, was happy with my final league position, though gutted a double penalty miss in my second league game. If we won that match it turns out in the end would have finished 4th instead of 6th and would have broken the 20 league goal mark.

Unless all others so far , I managed AIK (without reloading) brought them up from 15th to 6th in the end.

Game setup proof

Manager profile - start of campaign

League Table - start of campaign

League Table - end of season

Fixtures- start of campaign

Fixtures - My part of the season

Manager profile - end of season

So my scores where as follows:

Yellow jersey: 14 points  (3 points for finishing 6th + 10 points for 10 league wins + 1 point for 19 league goals

Green jersey: 4 points

0-2 away to Djurgården (0 points)

1-0 home to Hammarby (4 points)

Stage win: 9 points (climbing from 15th to 6th)

Scrrenshot of Fixtures at the start is currently missing, forgot to upload it before I went to work, so going to update that later.

TheEarl , this challenge looks fantastic, unfortunately there seems to be a crash bug with the full version of the game

Neil Brock

• Sports Interactive
  • Neil Brock
  • Administrators
  •  
  • 76,106 posts
  • Team: Newcastle United
  • Managing: Pro Vercelli

Okay thanks for all the info and apologies about this. There's an issue with managing Swedish clubs specifically and we're investigating. 

So unfortunately i'm going to have to wait until the issue is fixed 

1 hour ago, Pip said:

TheEarl , this challenge looks fantastic, unfortunately there seems to be a crash bug with the full version of the game

So unfortunately i'm going to have to wait until the issue is fixed 

Thanks for advise @Pip

I will check into this tomorrow. If this is the case, seems very much so from your link. I will launch the Stage 1 early. All those who submitted for Prologue will keep their scores, but for those who want to play to Prologue I will postpone the deadline until this matter has been fixed...

Stage 1 - Fight for the capital

Deadline for submissions: 17th December 2017 23:59pm UK time

Team: Cape Town City (South African Premier Division)

Duration: 1 season + finishing African Champions League or African Confederations Cup

Background: South African football is mostly known for domination of teams from Pretoria/Johannesburg district. Your task is to make a team from Cape Town the best in the country, and beat as many teams from Pretoria/Johannesburg as many times as you can.

Setup instructions:

Load a new game of FM18. Choose the following leagues: South Africa down to Tier 2. You might add as few or many other leagues as you want. Database size is totally optional, the same goes for adding extra players. Tick off: Do not add additional staff and prevent use of in game editor. All other checked boxes should be unticked. Important: Set starting date to: early pre-season 2017/18.

Start the game with the following criteria:

- Same name as in the Prologue (if you played it, or just chose your name)

- Same nationality as in the Prologue, but you might add Swedish language if your manager nationality isn't Swedish. For new managers: choose either one nationality or your true genuine nationality(ies)

- Sunday League Fotballer and National C-License coaching badge. You can move the attributes of your manager how you please. 

- Manager birth year 1996, day and month is optional

Take of Cape Town City immediately without waiting any days. 

Aim: To do as well as possible in all the South African Competitions, and the African Champions League or Confederations Cup starting midway through the season. If your team still is in any continental competitions at the start of the game, this competition doesn't count.

Scoring system

Yellow jersey: Points will be awarded for final league positions and for a special function. The special function is to buy one player from one of the following clubs and use him for as many games as possible: SuperSport Utd, Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Mamelodi Sundowns and Bidvest Wits.

Finishing position                  Yellow jersey points

15th-16th                                0 points

14th                                         2 point

9th-13th                                  4 points

6th-8th                                    6 points

5th                                           10 points

4th                                           14 points

3rd                                           18 points

2nd                                         24 points

1st                                           30 points

1 player bought from 5 "rival teams" total number of matches in 2017/18 divided by 2. Aka 1 point per 2 matches

Green jersey: Points will be awarded for progress in 3 domestic SA cups. SA KO Cup, SA FA Cup and Super 8.

Criteria                                    Green jersey points

Knocked out in 1/16-final     0 points

Knocked out in 1/8-final        1 point

Knocked out in 1/4-final        3 points 

Knocked out in Semifinal      5 points

Losing finalist                          8 points

Winner                                     10 points

Add all 3 cup points together

Polkadot jersey: Points will be awarded for progress in 2018 Champions League or Confederations Cup

Criteria                                    Polkadot jersey points

Knocked out in Prel.round       0 points

Knocked out in 1st round         1 point

Knocked out in 2nd round        2 points (only available for Confed Cup) 

Knocked out in Group stage     3 points

Knocked out in Quarter Fin.     5 points (not possible for Confed Cup)

Knocked out in Semifinal          7 points 

Losing finalist                             10 points

Winner                                         15 points

Stage win: Stage victory will be awarded with Gold, Silver and Bronze. They will be awarded for the following criteria:

Winning the most matches against the 5 "Rival teams" in all competitions domestically and continental.

In case of a tie, win percentage in those matches, and goals scored will be used in that order.

Bonuses:

Gold: 10 yellow jersey points, 10 green jersey points, 5 polkadot jersey points

Silver: 5 yellow jersey points, 5 green jersey points, 3 polkadot jersey points

Bronze: 3 yellow jersey points, 3 green jersey points, 1 polkadot jersey point

Submission: Please post your submission before deadline (17th December) including the following screenshots:

- Manager profile at start of season

- Manager profile at the end of the season

- Setup screen before you started the game

- League Table at the end of the season

- Fixture list (all season also matches AI played, so might be in 2-3 parts) and Fixture list for remainder of Champions League 2018

- Transfer History

- Player History of the player bought from rivals with most number of matches played.

Feel free to update as much as you want during process, but at least submit with these screenshots as a minimum.

When you reach the end of 2017/18 season take the screenshots. Then if the team is still running in Champions League or Confederations Cup you need to play until you win or get knocked out of that competition. But domestic results in the 2018/19 season do NOT count.

Archived