Stage 3 - Viking raid

Deadline for submissions: 4th March 2018 23:59pm UK time

Team: York City (Vanarama National North)

Duration: 2 seasons 

Background: Vikings where known as a people of trading, warfare and plundering. They rarely settled land outside their own area, but left again as they grabbed all the valuables they could. One of the few places they did settle for a while, was a place they called Jordvik. That is todays York. Subsequently York City FC is at the clubs lowest level in history of football. Your task is to bring the club as high up in 2 seasons as you possibly can, with the influence of Viking players. Important note: Regarded as Vikings in these terms are footballers with the Nationality of (random order): Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Faroe Isles. Note that for those note aware, Finnish players are NOT vikings.

Setup instructions:

Load a new game of FM18. Choose the following leagues: England down to Tier 6 and Norway, Sweden Denmark as view only to the lowest Tiers. You might add as few or many other leagues as you want. Database size is totally optional, the same goes for adding extra players. Tick off: Do not add additional staff, prevent use of in game editor and Disable Attribute masking (This so FM-touch users can compete for Stage win). All other checked boxes should be unticked. Important: Set start date to earliest possible in England.

Start the game with the following criteria:

- Same name as in previous Stages if you took part, if this is your first Stage chose a name of your liking.

- Same nationality as in previous Stages, or if you are new only 1 nationality. Languages learned in earlier Stages are removed, and ONLY those who earned a Chinese second nationality might add this from now on.

- Everyone starts with the same criteria, for this Stage its National A-License and Semi Professional Footballer.

- Manager birth year 1994, day and month is optional

Take over York City FC immediately without waiting any days. 

Aim: To bring York City FC as far up the ladder in 2 seasons as possible, do well in cups for green/polkadot jersey point and bring in Viking players. Spend wisely though as transfer money counts for Stage Win.

Scoring system

Yellow jersey: 

Yellow jersey will be split into 2 parts this time:

Part 1 - Points for your finishing position in the second season only.

21st-22nd in VNN - 1 point

16th-20th in VNN - 3 points

11th-15th in VNN - 5 points

8th-10th in VNN - 7 points

2nd-7th in VNN - 9 points (10 points if you get promoted)

1st in VNN - 15 points

21st-24th in VNL - 8 points

16th-20th in VNL - 11 points

11th-15th in VNL - 14 points

8th-10th in VNL - 19 points

2nd-7th in VNL - 22 points (25 points if you get promoted)

1st in VNL - 30 points

Part 2: - Add up this with points from Vikings players who play competitive matches for you in both seasons. You get 1 point for every 6 games played by a Viking Player. As described a Viking player is a player from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland or Faroe Islands.

If you have one player with 5 games and another with 7 games, this makes for 2 points. So you can take all the Viking players and add their games over the 2 seasons together.

Green jersey:

More simple scoring this time. Its your success in FA Trophy in both seasons that counts. Add the points for the 2 seasons together as follows:

3rd Qual.round - 0 points

1st round - 1 point

2nd round - 3 points

3rd round - 5 points

Quarter Final - 7 points

Semi Final - 10 points

Finalist - 15 points

Winner - 20 points

Polkadot jersey: 

Also a straight forward calculation. This time its your progress in FA Cup in both seasons that counts. Once again add the points for the 2 seasons together as follows:

2nd Qual.round - 0 points

3rd Qual.round - 1 point

4th Qual.round - 2 points

1st round - 3 points

2nd round - 4 points

3rd round - 7 points

4th round - 8 points

5th round - 9 points

Quarter Final - 10 points

Semi Final - 15 points

Finalist - 20 points

Winner - 30 points

Stage win: Stage victory will be awarded with Gold, Silver and Bronze. And is made up of Transfer income and expenses.

Pluss is for all British/Irish players sold. You can only count the straight forward cash for players sold. Both seasons counts. 

Minus is for all Viking players bought/signed. You count the amount in (parenthesis) so also future clauses are included.

This amount together for both season are you final score. 

Important: Make the final screenshot here directly after your last match in the second season. You can't wait for the new transfer window to open to sell off all your players when leaving.

Bonuses:

Gold: 16 yellow jersey points, 16 green jersey points, 10 polkadot jersey points

Silver: 8 yellow jersey points, 8 green jersey points, 5 polkadot jersey points

Bronze: 4 yellow jersey points, 4 green jersey points, 3 polkadot jersey point

Submission: Please post your submission before deadline (4th March) including the following screenshots:

- Manager profile at start of season

- Manager profile at the end of the season

- Setup screen before you started the game

- League Table at the end of season 2

- Fixture list from both seasons

- Transfer History from both seasons

- Individual stats history of all Viking players

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I've stepped away from this challenge. Mostly because I don't want to play FM18, but not only.

With the different speeds that people play at, not everyone will have time to do this, and people tend to do just one challenge at a time.

@TheEarlGiven these inbuilt problems, i think this challenge is going really well. I mean, we're what 3 months in or something, and it's still very active. I'd say far and away the most successful challenge of this type ever.

Hopefully I will take part in a stage at some point, if one tickles my fancy, and is very short, and coincides with my finishing one challenge.

51 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

Sorry I've stepped away from this challenge. Mostly because I don't want to play FM18, but not only.

With the different speeds that people play at, not everyone will have time to do this, and people tend to do just one challenge at a time.

@TheEarlGiven these inbuilt problems, i think this challenge is going really well. I mean, we're what 3 months in or something, and it's still very active. I'd say far and away the most successful challenge of this type ever.

Hopefully I will take part in a stage at some point, if one tickles my fancy, and is very short, and coincides with my finishing one challenge.

Thanks for encouragement. Hopefully one of the future Stages will suit you. I know in a part that one would do, but its one of the 2 final ones that will be longer than the others. (Also more time to complete it), but I guess that might not suit you after all. But Stages 4-7 should be relatively short, depending on your own pace of play.

Congratulations @TheEarl with a huge stage win. Seems like I lost out on a lot of points on this stage, and it will be tough to fight for the jerseys from here. I should probably just forget all about this stage and look forward on what seems like an interesting stage 3. Hopefully I can find time to start it this weekend..

1 hour ago, Skogmus said:

Congratulations @TheEarl with a huge stage win. Seems like I lost out on a lot of points on this stage, and it will be tough to fight for the jerseys from here. I should probably just forget all about this stage and look forward on what seems like an interesting stage 3. Hopefully I can find time to start it this weekend..

I think I will never forget the name Zheng Long. Like I wrote sometime earlier it was funny when Zheng Long scored on an assist made by Shane Long. :p:p:p

Stage 3 looks like fun, I'll be starting up today! I'm doing a dafuge challenge (very slowly) at the same time as this so I have some experience in these lower leagues on FM18 so I may be able to do slightly better this time. Also quick question: the vikings conquered and settled quite a few areas of Scotland such as Shetland, orkney etc., so are any Scottish players allowed to be vikings?

8 minutes ago, Fadedaf said:

Stage 3 looks like fun, I'll be starting up today! I'm doing a dafuge challenge (very slowly) at the same time as this so I have some experience in these lower leagues on FM18 so I may be able to do slightly better this time. Also quick question: the vikings conquered and settled quite a few areas of Scotland such as Shetland, orkney etc., so are any Scottish players allowed to be vikings?

I agree that they settled in some islands as well. It could also be mentioned Dublin. But for this challenge only the mentioned countries will be considered vikings: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Faroe Isles.

I also made it possible to play without attribute masking, so it should be possible to find some of these players to sign.

On 17/01/2018 at 07:29, TheEarl said:

Stage victory will be awarded with Gold, Silver and Bronze. And is made up of Transfer income and expenses.

Pluss is for all British/Irish players sold. You can only count the straight forward cash for players sold. Both seasons counts. 

Minus is for all Viking players bought/signed. You count the amount in (parenthesis) so also future clauses are included.

I'm guessing free signings/loans have nil impact for the stage win?

12 hours ago, Ice Ice Gravy said:

I'm guessing free signings/loans have nil impact for the stage win?

Correct. Free signings and loans cost nothing in transfer fee. But if you bid for a player from another club 0 + future fee, then the future fee will be included.

12 hours ago, Fadedaf said:

anyone been able to sign any Faroe islanders yet? I've managed to sign at least one player from the other 4 viking countries but no one from the Faroe islands.

I have tried but not successful.

IMPORTANT: You can sign 11 Danish players if you want. They don't need to be one from each country. If you wanna play with an all Danish or Swedish team (insert country of your liking) its up to you. You can even fill the bench with Vikings...

Sorry to say that I won't be able to take part currently. After my Notebook passed away recently I got a new one and intend to use it finally for a long term save (which wasn't really possible with the old slow thing I played on before). As I can't spend more than let's say 3h per week on FM, there's only room for one save at a time. But I will keep on following and wouldn't rule out joining again at a later stage.

@TheEarl Thanks again for providing these challenges. Excellent Job.

1 hour ago, Watson156 said:

Has anybody else been struggling financially? Seem to be losing money at an alarming rate.

Haven't played far enough to discovery anything around finances. Will let you know when I reach further...

Here are my Stage 3 Results:

Really interesting challenge, it certainly helps that you start at one of the best teams in the league. It may be tough to bring in Viking players during the first season, but the current players should be good enough to get you promoted if you are struggling to find players. The best bit of advice from me is to try and bring in some Scandinavian staff asap. That really allows your scouting knowledge to increase, which in turns will show you more Viking players.

Initial Setup:   Leagues LoadedDatabase Extras | Start Manager ProfileEnd of Season 1 ProfileEnd of Season 2 Profile |

Results: Season 1 CompetitionsFixtures 1 Fixtures 2Season 2 CompetitionsFixtures 1 Fixtures 2

Team: Transfer History Season 1Transfer History Season 2Squad View Season 1Squad View Season 2 |

Goalkeeper: Marcus Engebresten History

Defenders: Adam Mansa HistoryCasper Abildgaard HistoryFrederik Nielsen History |Kristian Larsen HistoryLukas Talbro HistoryPal Fjelde HistorySebastian Lodahl HistorySnorre Strand Nilsen History

Midfielders: Asgeir Snekvik HistoryBenjamin Mbunga Kimpioka HistoryKristoffer Iversen HistorySaban Ozdogan History

Attackers: Adam Persson HistoryHenrik Johansson HistoryIsak Malvik HistoryMagnus Langseth HistoryMarco Hjorth HistoryVetle Myhre History

Points: (Wasn't sure about Yellow Part 2 if we include substitute appearances or not, have added points for both. Also wasn't 100% sure on Stage Win points. Do we get + points for the amount we sell for or just players sold? Again I've added points for both!)

Yellow Jersey: Part 1 = 1st in VNL 30 pts | Part 2 = 636 Starts (126 Subs - 21 Pts) = 106 Pts / 127 Pts | Grand Total = 136 Points or 157 Points

Green Jersey: Winner x2 = 40 Points

Polkadot Jersey: 4th Qual. Round = 2 pts & 3rd Round = 7 pts | Grand Total = 9 Points

Stage Wins: + = £30.5k or 7 | - = 0 or -23 

- - - - -

I think that is everything. If I have missed something then please let me know. Something to add is that in the players history it only counts the league games played, so for the Yellow jersey points I have taken the games from the Squad Views as they include the competitive cup games played. 

Archived