• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Lower Leagues Rule said:

I think with tests we found that rather than making it harder it makes it easier as it generates more regens of a quality of the lower levels, but at the higher teams that can be easily grabbed cheaply or free as they get released immediately. (I am not sure, but it was back around FM10 that we did some testing around it)

Thanks, nice to know. Really always felt the game was harder with extra leagues as opposition teams in continental competitions where harder to beat. But now I know why this was common in so many challenges.

If I have time later in this version, I will see if I can run some tests to see if this is true.

What a load of GRAP

84107099.png.2a03923ab8bca23ea92e1d74dcd7defd.png

I eventually settled on Portugal with my mind set on a club from Maderia or the Azores. Ribeira Brava duly came up but this club caught my eye... Maybe it was the shouty capital letters of their name... er.. GRAPPING my attention, or perhaps it was the lure of a club that has never reached this level before and plays at a stadium with a capacity of 300.

Mainland Portugal it is then!

7ebab6accd8a1cd92c95d2f31577bbd9.png

Manager Profile

12586ede58bf1c45aa1b10a7a011e825.png

GRAP Domestic League History

c7218b777ac17c69f021d0075ca2df87.png

A closer look at the GRAP I have to deal with

060a48947c500f2adef18925224a66cb.png

GRAP players

a7030fda252d36df3175cad4359c0361.png

Only my backroom staff are not GRAP mainly because I don't have any yet.

Plenty of challenges to be grappling with here. :D

Newton's Sicilian Adventure

5a074be6ee4a9_IgeaVirtus.png.d23db7af967fb3b23c890d8f0766e1a4.png

Igea Virtus Barcellona, Serie C, Italy

New Beginnings

I have decided on joining Igea Virtus Barcellona in Sicily, a small club who have only been around a few seasons, BUT have history of previous clubs back to 1946, just like every other team in Italy. This makes for some confusing times when you google teams in Italy. I am going to look to become the best side in Sicily, challenge made easier with the relegation of Palermo (I'll advise where they are once I load up the game, and provide updates on their seasons as well...

Just now, rlipscombe said:

good luck in Italy @Lower Leagues Rule.  Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

I did have a goo laugh that all three teams I shortlisted had oval stadiums, two with athletics tracks and one that formerly did, but is gone now. If the players don't do their jobs then I will be sending them for laps. Reminds me of my best attempt at Dafuge challenge with Gateshead.

Newton's Sicilian Adventure

New Beginnings

The Manager

Jono Newton is a 35 year old Manager, he was born in Feilding, New Zealand, of Italian heritage, with no professional Management experience, he has been hired after some stunning results with the Tawa Under 9s in his hometown of Wellington, New Zealand. The world was shocked when Igea Virtus hired him after promotion from Serie D. He will be out to show the world that anyone can be a Football Manager, as he attempts to run this Sicilian Team to the top of Europe.

Profile | History

The Club

Igea Virtus Barcellona is a small club based on the Northern coast of Sicily. They play at Carlo Stagno D'Alcontres and the ground has basic training facilities and poor youth facilities. The club is affectionately known as Giallorossi (Yellow & Reds), they have fierce rivalries with Gela, Acireale & Vigor Lamezia who are all in the Serie D.

Overview | Staff | Squad | Facilities | Finances

The Players

The team has some solid pieces, but we really need to improve across the board if we want t0o compete with the other teams and have any chance at promotion, but we do have a wage busget of  22,675, and only spending  €7,490.

First Vienna - 2018/2019 - Austrian First Division 

First-Vienna.png
Me / Club / Facilities
League / Graph / Cups / Transfers / Finance  

It was a good season for us this year. We began the season with 3 losses and 2 wins and I thought that I was on route for one of those mid table mediocre seasons. I was wrong, we began to go on a superb run beating teams from up and down the league. We found ourselves 4th in the league going into the break but we looked in good form. We knew that FC Liefering would win the league but as they were not allowed promotion (feeder team to Red Bull), we knew 2nd spot would get promotion. It was close so we knew we were in with a shout. Going towards the end of the year we moved up the table and manage to secure 2nd spot on the last day of the season. Promotion was ours. 

It is decent in Austria I seem to be given a shed load of money just for playing Austrians which is always a bonus. Given this I quickly got on a coaching course and upgraded the youth coaching and youth facilities. We had some cash to spend, and spend I did. I tried to bring in players with some experience and a couple that could play at a higher level. 

Players of the Season

Dominik Eichinger - Came in January for £50,000 he scored 12 at his old club and scored 8 here, a very good striker.

Thomas Kindig - Played a few games as a sub but really took his own place in the first team. A player I am a big fan of

Manuel Plankensteiner - Doesn't look much but he is a super player for me in my system. He scores a fair few and creates some, a very good player. 

Whats Next

It was a bit of a shock to be promoted this year so I am a little unsure what next year will bring for us. All I really want is to survive but I am not sure how I will fair against the big teams. Survival is the key word for us. I will be bringing in some new faces in the summer, hopefully with a little more quality so it will be interesting to see how I adapt to the big league. 

History

2018/19 - Austrian First Division - 2nd - Promoted 

@wynter - good luck in Holland.

@ashton321 - good to see you back.  fantastic first season there.  Like the look of Eichinger and £50k could be a steal.  Good luck next season in the top league.  Also, i am loving the badge too...

9 hours ago, Minarin said:

Quick question. I know that Welsh, Northern Irish and Irish teams are in the Scottish Challenge Cup. If we choose one of those countries should we also load Scotland leagues?

that's a very good question!  I genuinely don't know - anybody know?

Ug1eWUM.png

After last year going to Portugal for the first time and having one of my most enjoyable saves I have decided to go to another country I have never managed in and am heading to Finland and taking over FC Viikingit! As an added bonus I am looking to also eventually take over the Finland job and get them into the World Cup.

Announcement : Profile : Club Overview : Leagues : Squad

GRAP 2018/19 Season Preview

84107099.png.2a03923ab8bca23ea92e1d74dcd

Manager Profile / Mixed Social Media Reaction
Will I be a legend or nothing to get excited about? Time will tell.

Club History
Just turned semi-pro, no competition wins ever - perfect for this kind of challenge!

Season Expectations
Avoid relegation is all I can hope for. Even the cup 2nd Round may be a stretch..

Transfers
(Scouting Range: Portugal)

Recruitment has proven tough so far. I've had to lower my usual high expectations for determination and work rate to find new faces. Even then, they add depth rather than improve. There are still a few weeks for wheeling and dealing so hopefully, more new faces are to come. Also, lost my best young striker Nuno Sola as he was still on an amateur contract and was poached by a First Division side.

And right before the first match of the season, this:

6cce99250ab672e2cce09148b76d3ea6.png

Looks like I need a new keeper as well as better options in defence....

After multiple reloading for three days and nights and over 5 files of simulated seasons in Germany, I finally got one of the the two teams I was aiming for. Introducing:

DhZfU.png

1. FC Lokomotive Leipzig - the club continuing the tradition of the respectable Vfb Leipzig which was a powerhouse of the romantic era of football in Germany. Nowadays, together with Chemie (continuating club of Saschen Leipzig) they are just small minnows in comparison to RasenBallSport Leipzig (or RedBull) in the city. Our Manager will aim to change that by taking the Club from the insecure situation currently present to adding some silverware in the Trophy Cabinet. Having just been promoted from the Regionalliga Nordost our Squad does not seam ready for the 3.Liga and having no available extra funds might mean we will have to rely on loans for the first season. Together with not so great facilities, a difficult financial situation, having just turned professional and an ageing stadium we have all the ingredients of a long-term work ahead of us.

I think this can also be framed as a "Big Brother" Challenge, as although they don't have our trophies RB Leipzig are currently miles ahead of us. We will try to surpass them, but using a somehow different strategy, as I set some further rules: 1. Only bring to the club German players (and when possible from former East-Germany). 2. Promote at least one player from our Youth Academy each year (and when possible one born in Leipzig). 3. Do not loan, buy, sell or have anything to do with RedBull. Let's see how long we can get this going.

First Vienna - 2019/20 - Austrian Premier Division 

First-Vienna.png

I knew that this season was going to be tough and I was right. We began with a loss against the best team in Austria and then two wins but I knew this was false hope. We then hit terrible form and seemed to struggle to pick up wins anywhere. We would win one game and then maybe lose 3/4 on the bounce it was very annoying. I decided to try and make us a little tougher to beat by compacting the team and this seemed to work. 

In Austria after 22 games the league splits between a relegation group bottom 6 and a Champions group in top 6. We finished 4 out of 6 and this was enough to keep us in the league for another season. 

We brought in some decent players throughout the season to try and bring in some experience from this league. Our wage budget went from 10k per week to 45k per week. This has caused us major financial issues which I am not sure how we are going to cope next year. 

Players of the Season

Dominik Eichinger - 20 goals in 31 games this year is proof that he can do it and this level. He is a superb striker and will be here for another year scoring more goals hopefully

Fabian Ehmann - New keeper I signed this summer, who is going to be a big player for us. He was amazing this year and long may that continue. 

Sebastian Mann - I signed him last year and he was fantastic but this year he was even better. He has taken the all rounder role this year.  

Whats Next

I think I just want another season of survival. I think that our wage budget is going to be slashed next year so I think I am going have to shift some players out and I will have to replace them with some of the youth prospects that we have coming through. Survival is going to be the aim again. 

History

2019/20 - Austrian Premier Division - 9th/4th Relegation Group

@GoalieManPat121 - good luck in Finland.  Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

@DodgeeD - that's a bit of a blow to lose your keeper.  good luck finding a replacement and in strengthening your defence.

@Muttley84 - good luck with Lokomotiv Leipzig.  i am looking forward to seeing if you can overturn RB Leipzig and become the top team in Leipzig.

@ashton321 - well done on survival.  Hopefully you can build on this for next season.  the financial situation doesn't sound great so i hope that you can work within this and maintain your survival in the top league.

From testing it should be ok to just have Scotland as view only.

I'm now holidaying in a game with all players based in uk countries loaded and top teams players from all continents coming up to 99780 players. Will take a while to grab the club I want but when I do the challenge will be afoot.

First Vienna - 2020/21 - Austrian Premier Division 

First-Vienna.png

I decided that I would add some players in the summer to add to the squad but I was mainly going to focus on promoting south of the youth prospects. I brought in a new centre midfielder, defender and striker to add to the depth but I bought in some youth to add to the squad.

We did very well this year where we were always nearly at the top of the league. I thought at some stage during the season we may actually fight for the title but in the end it was just too much for us. We got into the promotion stages but to be honest took a beating and we finished dead last in the top half. This meant that we missed out on European Football. 

Players of the Season

Dominik Eichinger -Another season, another season of goals from the big man up top he is a superb striker

Fabian Ehmann - The quality keeper continues to build into a proper player. He came 3rd in the Goalkeeper of the year standings. 

Daniel Offenbacher - Came in the summer, he is a superb player. He has played nearly 200 games in the Premier Division before I signed him. He has now passed this mark 

Whats Next

I think with a couple of additions in the summer and we may make a push for European Football. I am keen to add a couple of new youth players into the first team as well. I am a big fan of the little team that I am building here. 

History

2019/20 - Austrian Premier Division - 9th/4th Relegation Group

2020/21 - Austrian Premier Division - 4th/6th Promotion Group

Newton’s Sicilian Adventure

Preseason 2018/19

Conquering the Cup

Transfer Activity

Transfers In
Date Player Pos From Fee
01.07.2018 Orlando Viteritti DRLC Rende €0
15.07.2018 Andrea Bacigalupo DM Savona €0
19.07.2018 Florent Chaigneau GK   €0
20.07.2018 Jacopo Coletta GK   €0
23.07.2018 Marco Preti ST   €0
28.07.2018 Matteo Cavagna MC   €0
28.07.2018 Marcello Barcella AM/MC   €0
05.08.2018 Alessio Perrin DR Prata €0
13.08.2018 Francesco Forte GK Rende €37,500
15.08.2018 Aniello Coppola DM/MC Cassino €0
15.08.2018 Nicolo Musumeci DC Ilario Lorenzini €0
16.08.2018 Riccardo Hinek DRC Sasso Marconi €0

Loans In
Date Player Pos From Fee
03.07.2018 Stefano Ciavattini DC Roma €0
03.07.2018 Nicolo Casale DC Verona €0
04.07.2018 Andrea Tripicchio AMRL Crotone €0
07.07.2018 Marco Olivieri AML Empoli €0
09.07.2018 Antonio Loi AMR/ST Salernitana €0
12.07.2018 Gerardo Nevio Carrafiello AML Salernitana €0
27.07.2018 Andrea Marcucci DM/MC Roma €0
27.07.2018 Michele Volpe ST Frosinone €0
27.07.2018 Mattia Trovato AMR Fiorentina €0
27.07.2018 Kevin Biondi AMR Catania €0
28.07.2018 Luca Coccolo DLC Juventus €0
28.07.2018 Andrea Rizzo Pinna MC Atalanta €0
28.07.2018 Hans Nicolussi Caviglia MRC Juventus €0
03.08.2018 Giuseppe Scalera DR Bari €0
07.08.2018 Armando Anastasio ML Napoli €0
31.08.2018 Nicola Danieli DM/MC Chievo €0

We made a lot of moves in the Preseason to try and make our team more competitive when the season eventually came around. The key transfer was the paid one for Francesco Forte in goal, he will be key part of our progress this season, and the price nearly doubles to 66k if he plays 20 games on this season. Andrea Rizzo Pinna (MC) & Marco Olivieri (AML) were very key loan signings for us, there are a few here who won’t last the season, but I am hoping some of the younger permanent signings can make a difference.

Friendlies

pSOREiISqSQiiVug-QR6jafYHx-hGDS_-tKZ9Kzq98vxEp_IuSMqC9voiIx02aE5sVANCnTLPsgVeM_cUF8HHnrV5auuojSriJpKp1VMBTRq1sec-71lKUxkj4Zso3BN8MXEnTuy

This run of results was against a lot of poor teams, I didn’t really want to stress the players out in the preseason too much. The interesting one was the loss, we scored an own goal early, and the confidence was gone, was just delighted to see them perk up and beat Forte’s team, he didn’t play for them, but I had been watching him already at this stage.

Serie C Cup

5ipBMb97XwSNO76zuUgHtxaaxvEfgZqWkMpeuqBlI38IXZDpvcXfJ-27TtGNAj08Fs2xf_n8h2wlTUohewMF9E8PoFfW0WQP8Fs1GcslX3lJlh01b1WIGJ4nUjfGTGW0m-e20s9N

We started really well, we were up 3-0 against Reggina and nearly collapsed, it was good to see the boys turn it around against Catania and win that one without losing our lead. This has seen us through to the 1st round, with a draw against Catanzaro.

The Tactic

SlfEXK4f7YcuxMth5oE-ieSmFr71ORfTGeLHrzqCpKF2IaW10U1_FYoyY232PGuO1JtcBqmDNGa_pMM4XWE4Ac76EqrlIDedq4y-nQ023g9KOT7EsS3L3KNPfU-vhPk0eT9LbdL0

I’m having some fun with this, I am using a range of roles that I haven’t used before, and it really seems to be working, the defence stays back and protects really well, while the Front 5 work together to get the goals, Rizzo, Olivieri seem to get in the middle for goals a lot with Volpe grabbing some as well.

This Season

I hope to just avoid relegation, anything past that will be a bonus for me.

Well that didn't last very long. Halfway through season 2 and I got fired. :( Got to work out where to go now, thinking Italy with the youth only challenge as I generally suck at signing players, lol.

Another thought - maybe stick to teams for whom survival is a success. It's too difficult trying to succeed with a top half finish when you're ~£2.5m in the red and have no money to spend :( 

10 minutes ago, Britrock said:

Well that didn't last very long. Halfway through season 2 and I got fired. :( Got to work out where to go now, thinking Italy with the youth only challenge as I generally suck at signing players, lol.

Another thought - maybe stick to teams for whom survival is a success. It's too difficult trying to succeed with a top half finish when you're ~£2.5m in the red and have no money to spend :( 

Unlucky pal, I think I am going to try Youth only after doing this challenge, I am not a huge fan of the new Scouting system (maybe it just needs some getting used to)

17 minutes ago, ashton321 said:

Unlucky pal, I think I am going to try Youth only after doing this challenge, I am not a huge fan of the new Scouting system (maybe it just needs some getting used to)

I quite like the new scouting system, it seems a more realistic way of operating a football club. I'm just rubbish at picking the players - I solely go off of star ratings instead of picking important attributes and ensuring they have those highly rated. I also have a habit of picking up too many players in a position and not enough elsewhere, lol. 

2 hours ago, ashton321 said:

@Lower Leagues Rule decent start pal. Always important to get a Goalscorer and Volpe looks like he has started in decent form. I am interested that Marucci seems natural in the Mez role, I thought that was going to be something only higher level players could cope with

He is a loanee youngster from Roma, so this could be considered why it is the case. I found after a few failed first seasons last year that having a majority of loaned youth from Seire A can actually lead to a dominating team in Serie C. Whereas if you just sign players that will come you end up mid table as that is what all the Serie C teams do, and you fight them for every player.

So last night I was sacked at First Vienna.

I got the board to up the expectations to a mid table spot at the start of the season to give me some more money to play with.

I then started the season in atrocious form and was sacked. If I am honest I am not surprised but I am gutted.

I made a lot of mistakes in this save in maybe pushing the young kids before they were ready and being too loyal to some of my old guard. 

I am gutted but if this challenge has taught me anything jump back on the bike and go again. (I have already restarted and over taken someone) 

Moss FK - 2018- PostNord-ligaen

1599.png
Me / Club / Facilities

Well I started this last night and have been playing a lot since then, (joys of running a fairly successful business that I dont have to do too much for now) I am a little bit ahead of this. 

I decided that I would go to Norway, it has been a bit of a star in previous Gundo threads so I am carrying on that tradition. Moss have a decent record in Norway winning the title and the cup in the 80s. They have since landed on bad times and found themselves out of the league system. I have taken control of them to try and get back to where they once were. 

In the cup this year we got through the first round before being smashed by a top division side. In the league we were amazing all year round. In reality there was only three teams in the league and we managed to finished ahead of them all to take the title. One of the best points about us this year was the huge amount of goals we scored, we were a little leaky at the back but it was fun to watch. 

Players of the Season

Marius Andreassen - Came in on loan at the start of the year and scored for fun. He is a superb player and one I hope to bring back next year

Robin Hjelmeseth - A player who was here last year, he may well not be the best player in the squad but fits into my system and scores, so I like him

Simon Stolen - Another player who should not have played as well as he did. I brought him in as a back up mainly but he scored a lot again

Whats Next

I have no idea what to expect next year. When I took this job, I knew that we were one of the better teams in the league so this was fairly expected. I think we could hold our own in the league above but I will need to add one or two new faces to the squad. 

History

2018 - PostNord-ligaen- 1st- Champions

8 hours ago, Britrock said:

@rlipscombe FYI the French reset date is June 20th :) Not sure if I'm going to do a youth only challenge or sign some players at the moment though...

Thanks - opening post updated.

@ashton321  -  unlucky with your First Vienna save.  Well done in your first season with Moss though - it is a name that i remember from my time playing Gundo several years ago.  Andreassen looks to be a star of the future - good luck getting him back next season.  Unlucky with the stadium expansion though - is it do do with league regulations or something like that?  It isn't like your facilities were that bad to start with...

Archived