Broken Promises

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you hover over the "Will play player in preferred position" in the "Promises" tab, it tells you what the prefered position and role is.

Like so...

2OTXpAF.png

I could've sworn I'd tried that... Thanks for the tip!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/3/2016 at 20:45, ScottGooner said:

These promises annoy me.

A player comes to me in November wants to leave to join Man Utd, so we hash it out and agree if they bid £38million he can leave. Get to January, the window opens no bids from Man Utd, but Man City make an offer of £27 million which I refuse. Yes you've guessed it the player gets mad and says I've broken my promise to him.

In FM 2015, and then again in 2016, all promises relating to selling a player on condition triggered "will sell as soon as possible" promises.  That is, if you promised a player you'd sell after you received a particular price, a bid from a particular team or after you'd secured a replacement, it didn't actually matter; the promise screen showed that you'd promised the player to sell as soon as a bid came in.  I found it much easier to make one of those promises then immediately offer the player for transfer for a price I'd accept to whoever would pay.

Playing time issues may be related to an old, old issue where players only care about the league.  Starts and game time in cups in the past have a much smaller weight than in the league.  So if you've had a higher percentage than normal of cup games it's possible that's what's keeping the player from feeling like you've fulfilled the promise.

I don't know that FM2017 works the same way, because I have not purchased it and don't intend to.  But some of the promise issues I've seen people post about have been broken for multiple versions.

1 hour ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

In FM 2015, and then again in 2016, all promises relating to selling a player on condition triggered "will sell as soon as possible" promises.  That is, if you promised a player you'd sell after you received a particular price, a bid from a particular team or after you'd secured a replacement, it didn't actually matter; the promise screen showed that you'd promised the player to sell as soon as a bid came in.  I found it much easier to make one of those promises then immediately offer the player for transfer for a price I'd accept to whoever would pay.

Playing time issues may be related to an old, old issue where players only care about the league.  Starts and game time in cups in the past have a much smaller weight than in the league.  So if you've had a higher percentage than normal of cup games it's possible that's what's keeping the player from feeling like you've fulfilled the promise.

I don't know that FM2017 works the same way, because I have not purchased it and don't intend to.  But some of the promise issues I've seen people post about have been broken for multiple versions.

They don't understand the eligibility rules where you can only field 2 or 3 foreigners in some competitions.

As well as we don't know if we give them sub appearances would make them happy as well.

A very vague and broken feature tbh

52 minutes ago, qwerty22 said:

They don't understand the eligibility rules where you can only field 2 or 3 foreigners in some competitions.

As well as we don't know if we give them sub appearances would make them happy as well.

A very vague and broken feature tbh

I have never been able to promise a player sub appearances successfully, so I wouldn't know.  I've only ever had players accept "you've played badly", "another player is ahead on form", and "I will give you more game time".  Even in countries like England where there are no eligibility requirements, players seem to overvalue league starts and both won't accept "show me what you can do in the cups" and won't count cup appearances and starts towards game time for fulfilling that promise.

At the start of the season my best defender came to me and told me he wants to play in the division above.  I promise him he can leave if we do not get promotion which he is content with. So we finish the season in the playoffs not getting automatic promotion.  He comes to me raging that I broke my promise to him. There is no option to say hey! excuse me the season is not yet over you can still get promotion if we win the playoffs which have not even started yet.  Half the squad are supporting him, needless to say we played awful in the playoff.  FT Sucks.

44 minutes ago, priority76 said:

At the start of the season my best defender came to me and told me he wants to play in the division above.  I promise him he can leave if we do not get promotion which he is content with. So we finish the season in the playoffs not getting automatic promotion.  He comes to me raging that I broke my promise to him. There is no option to say hey! excuse me the season is not yet over you can still get promotion if we win the playoffs which have not even started yet.  Half the squad are supporting him, needless to say we played awful in the playoff.  FT Sucks.

Haha yes very sad thing to happen, The logic is broken and everytime we've been trying to report these things on these forums. Some jumped up 2 or 3 guys on here will try their most to shift the blame on the user so our issue never get looked at!

For example this issue would get the typical answer of "give your players the right squad status" which is a valid answer but this is a serious issue that ruins the game for me really. Also why does a poor player in a 4th division team create a storm in the press for a team where I get attendances of 200 and 300?  LOL

Issues like the  game not recognizing foreign eligibility when the press ask you about a missing player, Or the players complaining about game time while injured or ineligible have been around for 4 years now, Yet we get a burger van and a basic 3d model.

1 hour ago, priority76 said:

This was broken last year, and I and others submitted bug reports about it.

And rereading your post, you didn't even break your promise.  You said he could leave if the team wasn't promoted; you didn't promise to gain promotion.

3 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

For the record, I played my player asking for more starts in all league games as we were not in any cup tournaments at the time, but I sold him for a profit anyway so good riddance.

1 hour ago, priority76 said:

That's really sad.

My new favorite one is the player asking for a loan move, so you say yeah I'll loan you out. Then you offer, and offer and offer him out. But no one wants him. And then he gets angry you broke a promise. Not my fault no one wants your lame ass.

On 2016-12-05 at 00:06, Weston said:

Also the player who is upset about not being used in his preferred position even though I only ever always played him there (assuming it's what his profile shows to be his best position - he never said what it was in the chat) took time out of his busy schedule of PLAYING IN THE WORLD CUP to come moan at my office about it. Baffling.

One of my best players wants that promise to star contract negotiations, the only problem is that he asks to be played in a position that he isn't even natural in. 

So I signed a player who wanted to promise to him that I would send him to coaching course. And then I ask the board to send him on coaching course via that option in dropdown menu, and then they say that they think that he isn't interested.

Yet another promise to be broken :D

Promised a player I would strengthen my "attackers". Only agreed to the promise as I desperately needed him to sign, and having just been promoted I actually did need to strengthen. Brought in 2 strikers and 2 attacking midfielders, all of whom are an improvement. But I see on the promises screen at the end of the transfer window I've "failed". Waited to get the message pop up asking for a chat about it but it didn't come. Next thing I know the whole squads morale is suddenly horrendous, and the player has "unh" next to his name. Unhappy we didn't strengthen, and the whole squad support him. I then get the press article... "facing an uncertain future after a row...". Now the board are concerned about the squad harmony...

43 minutes ago, Gilbo88 said:

Promised a player I would strengthen my "attackers". Only agreed to the promise as I desperately needed him to sign, and having just been promoted I actually did need to strengthen. Brought in 2 strikers and 2 attacking midfielders, all of whom are an improvement. But I see on the promises screen at the end of the transfer window I've "failed". Waited to get the message pop up asking for a chat about it but it didn't come. Next thing I know the whole squads morale is suddenly horrendous, and the player has "unh" next to his name. Unhappy we didn't strengthen, and the whole squad support him. I then get the press article... "facing an uncertain future after a row...". Now the board are concerned about the squad harmony...

I really hope SI is reading this in preparation for the next patch 😬

8 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I really hope at least half this stuff is being reported as bugs with the save game examples.

To be fair, a LOT of people have said that they have been reporting these kind of issues for a while now without much joy.

The ME is pretty solid this year, but player logic is cranky to say the least. It has never been particularly great, but this year it's insanely bad.

10 minutes ago, Golden Boot said:

To be fair, a LOT of people have said that they have been reporting these kind of issues for a while now without much joy.

The ME is pretty solid this year, but player logic is cranky to say the least. It has never been particularly great, but this year it's insanely bad.

Who are these LOT?

Anyway guys, it's all very well posting here, but are any of you posting your saves in the bugs section, especially you Weston?

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Who are these LOT?

Anyway guys, it's all very well posting here, but are any of you posting your saves in the bugs section, especially you Weston?

I've uploaded more PKMs and save games this year than I can count, yes. Also, posts in the general discussion are often for us feeling out if our issues are bugs or not, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me that people would begin here, no? Honestly I was really hoping it wouldn't be a bug at all and that there was just something I was missing someone would point out to me after finding this thread. 

44 minutes ago, Weston said:

I've uploaded more PKMs and save games this year than I can count, yes. Also, posts in the general discussion are often for us feeling out if our issues are bugs or not, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me that people would begin here, no? Honestly I was really hoping it wouldn't be a bug at all and that there was just something I was missing someone would point out to me after finding this thread. 

No idea if they are bugs, but the only way to tell is uploading the save, as frankly I've lost track of where you are with your issues.

Begin yes, but the vast majority end in GD too.

Well if we upload every thing that seems like a glimpse of a bug to us, SI workers would just spend years and years just reviewing our save games.
I personally opened a theme in bug section, most of us did I suppose. But SI should (and I believe they do) read topics like this, as they can also help them improve the game. That's what feedback forum is for, no?

19 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

Well if we upload every thing that seems like a glimpse of a bug to us, SI workers would just spend years and years just reviewing our save games.
I personally opened a theme in bug section, most of us did I suppose. But SI should (and I believe they do) read topics like this, as they can also help them improve the game. That's what feedback forum is for, no?

They have their systems for dealing with uploads.

When they read topics like this, they inevitably ask for the saves, especially in highly contextual situations. Because that is the where the coding is for them to look at.

I have opened a new thread in the bug forum that references this thread's list of issues and includes multiple save games of mine that show my personal issues. Everyone else in this thread is welcome / encouraged to add their own save games to that thread as well to flesh out the report.

18 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Good stuff Weston

I encourage everyone to follow his lead  

Is this a bug too?

Wanted to be free kick taker, so I said OK, made him FK taker, now I'm "running out of time"...

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 21.17.31.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 21.18.05.png

EDIT: With 9 days left, he's now happy. After taking his first penalty of the season...

20 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Is this a bug too?

Wanted to be free kick taker, so I said OK, made him FK taker, now I'm "running out of time"...

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 21.17.31.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 21.18.05.png

EDIT: With 9 days left, he's now happy. After taking his first penalty of the season...

Seems like it could be. Might as well mention it here:

Good news! It seems like at least some of the issues brought up here have been addressed in the newest update. From the official post:

- Fixed rare examples of players complaining about being left out of continental squads for rounds they are unavailable for

- Fixed incorrect strings on promise panel related to different context promises to accept bids for players

- Fixed rare contradictory inbox items regarding promises not being met

- Added unhappiness reason to list of players supporting/against a manager in group unhappiness meetings

- Fixed rare example of a player not becoming happy again after playing more following a first team football unhappiness

Also been told this in another thread:

"Although it is not covered in the change list in the thread linked below, your issue where the players were not identifying that you had strengthened the squad, should now be corrected with this patch.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the recommended course of action when you promised a player you would improve your coaching team because you agree that you could use one or two more, but the option to request that the board allow you to increase the number of coaches allowed never appears and time is running out?

Also, I've been experimenting with the "strengthen attack" promise some more. I had one 3.5* and two 3* strikers. One of the 3* was making a big deal about leaving, so I signed another 3* to replace him and brought in FOUR 2.5* strikers. Finally, the promises showed "pleased that the squad is being strengthened. Then, the 3* who was complaining left, so I was back to the normal 3.5* and two 3* players, plus an additional FOUR 2.5*s, and now it's back down to a yellow "hopes the squad will be strengthened. Being in Serie B there is just nobody I can feasibly bring in to really "improve" the best striking group in the league, but increasing numbers seemed to help at first, at least...

I once signed a goalkeeper on a free in lower-league England during pre-season.  This chap was pretty good, a Danish fella released by a Premiership club.  What a coup, thinks I, although his contract did feature quite a few promises...all of which were not going to be a problem.  One of these promises was going to be that he got the "Number One" jersey.  Given that the reason I needed a 'keeper was that I'd sold my first choice and only really had kids, this was a total non-issue.  It's preseason, so nothing much is doing - squad is on holiday.  I'm finalising a few other signings when...up pops Mr Lurpak.  He has been in the squad now for 14 days - 14 DAYS - and I have not allocated the Number One jersey to him.  We have yet to even play a friendly.  The conversation is more of a rant - I'm going to regret crossing him, he knows where I live, fond of my kids am I, etc.  Half the squad wade in too, lambasting me as a nefarious ne'er-do-well.  The good news is that a good few teams suddenly appear with bids, and I sell him virtually immediately for £240k (yes, two-hundred-and-forty-thousand-pounds, Sterling - a fortune for me at that stage!).  He was with me for about 25 days in total.  I signed him on a free and then cleared about half of my overdraft.  I consider it a bullet dodged, as it would probably have been a nightmarish season dealing with the pillock!

But, seriously.  Surely something has gone wrong with some game-logic there somewhere.

2 hours ago, Praetor Meles said:

I once signed a goalkeeper on a free in lower-league England during pre-season.  This chap was pretty good, a Danish fella released by a Premiership club.  What a coup, thinks I, although his contract did feature quite a few promises...all of which were not going to be a problem.  One of these promises was going to be that he got the "Number One" jersey.  Given that the reason I needed a 'keeper was that I'd sold my first choice and only really had kids, this was a total non-issue.  It's preseason, so nothing much is doing - squad is on holiday.  I'm finalising a few other signings when...up pops Mr Lurpak.  He has been in the squad now for 14 days - 14 DAYS - and I have not allocated the Number One jersey to him.  We have yet to even play a friendly.  The conversation is more of a rant - I'm going to regret crossing him, he knows where I live, fond of my kids am I, etc.  Half the squad wade in too, lambasting me as a nefarious ne'er-do-well.  The good news is that a good few teams suddenly appear with bids, and I sell him virtually immediately for £240k (yes, two-hundred-and-forty-thousand-pounds, Sterling - a fortune for me at that stage!).  He was with me for about 25 days in total.  I signed him on a free and then cleared about half of my overdraft.  I consider it a bullet dodged, as it would probably have been a nightmarish season dealing with the pillock!

But, seriously.  Surely something has gone wrong with some game-logic there somewhere.

That's hilarious, well saved. For what it's worth, the editor allows you to change kit numbers at any time as far as I'm aware, so if this is ever an issue in the future I suppose you could always give your promised player exactly what he wants the day he's signed just to avoid this unrealistic mess.

I have a player at Leeds that wanted a transfer to City because they offer high wages, so I talked to him and asked how much does he want to stay and we settled at 3.7mil/year. Ok, but when I try to offer him a new contract he isn't interested in signing a new one. Now I have a promise to keep and an unhappy player because he wants to go to City to be paid more. So, what's to be done here?

Ok, I had my problems with player interactions in other versions on FM, but in 17 it's all messed up. I had other conflict with Oliver Torres because I have broken a promise I made to him. What promise, I don't know.(I made sure when I signed with him i cancelled all the promises) The team was on a good run and after the conflict with Oliver half of my team was mad because I treated Oliver unfairly. This ruined my start of the season. 

lazar1.PNG.d7dd34d11fee4fb455ca1bee331fc539.PNG

lazar2.PNG.d019813fcf671b31593bb3c25d8f54fa.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Signed Berahino after promising he'll be the penalty taker. Put him as primary penalty taker. 6 months later hands in a transfer request due to broken promise.

Signed Carrasco and prmoised he'll be primary free kick taker. Put him as primary free kick taker. Constantly saying "Looking forward to being primary free kick taker". Waiting for the inevitable transfer request.

Just now a player asked for coaching improvements so I let my worst coach go and brought in two better ones and also moved another to a better position that gave him a higher star rating, and he was still so unsatisfied he demanded a transfer away. I hate to do this cos it feels like cheating but I just used the editor to remove that complaint from his profile because it's ridiculous. This is following a season in which I not only won the league, but I also broke every single record, both for my club and the division, in terms of wins, undefeated streak, goals scored, points accrued, etc. Ridiculous.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Signed Berahino after promising he'll be the penalty taker. Put him as primary penalty taker. 6 months later hands in a transfer request due to broken promise.

Signed Carrasco and prmoised he'll be primary free kick taker. Put him as primary free kick taker. Constantly saying "Looking forward to being primary free kick taker". Waiting for the inevitable transfer request.

If you can please raise this on our bugs forum ideally with a save game where we can investigate this further it'd be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Does anyone know if new signing's promise requests are actually connected to the current state of your club or are purely based on the player's inclinations and personality?  For example, if you have really good coaching staff will that actually deter players from asking for you to improve it or will they do so regardless? I ask because I got the board to increase the allowed amount of coaches, but I don't necessarily need a new coach at this moment. Should I save that extra slot for the next time I sign a player who demands I bring in a new coach so I can do it then, or would bolstering my backroom now preemptively discourage such a request in the first place?

@Weston - I would advise you to strengthen your coaching team as much as you're allowed, to benefit your team now rather than keeping a space free in the faint hope of satisfying some idiot player somewhere down the line. Just remove the promise demand from any future player's contract demands (they really won't notice). I mean, why bother potentially spoiling your game when there's an easy workaround? 

I always remove all promise demands and have yet to have a player/agent add them back on again.

29 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

@Weston - I would advise you to strengthen your coaching team as much as you're allowed, to benefit your team now rather than keeping a space free in the faint hope of satisfying some idiot player somewhere down the line. Just remove the promise demand from any future player's contract demands (they really won't notice). I mean, why bother potentially spoiling your game when there's an easy workaround? 

I always remove all promise demands and have yet to have a player/agent add them back on again.

Because that only happens if you're lucky. I had a fantastic player reject a contract offer from me because I took off a promise like that, and before the agent ever let me reopen negotiations he accepted a new deal somewhere else. Then I had to buy a lesser player for 5 million to fill that hole. I'm paranoid now but for good reason.

Ha. Just had my captain who was angry with me because i didn't strength the coaching team even though:

- I already have maximum number of coaches

- i won't be able to attract better coaches anyway since we are a conference team and has tiny budget 

- the team overachieved by getting promotion to league two 

- he was the highest earner in the team, and play the most games

I got to make sure not to promise anything to anyone anymore. 

Lots of these seem to be examples of genuine bugs, but many in the thread aren't really allowing for the humanity of players to enter into it.  It turns out that football players are often prima-donnas who will blame you for stuff that isn't your fault.  The one about the agent signing on fee and player contract made me laugh as that's happened in the real world quite a few times.

As per the post above - you promised to strengthen the coaching team.  You admit that you couldn't do this because you lack the budget and the reputation to strengthen it.  This is not the player's fault, you promised something that you knowingly couldn't deliver in order to sign him.  

If your boss came to you and said that you'd get a new computer to work on as part of your signing on bonus, then when you joined said that actually you can't have one because of the budget but oh by the way we're super successful as a company so you should be happy - I mean, you'd be pissed.

If they had explicitly promised it before signing when you asked for it yourself, and you believe it to be a big factor in being able to perform to the best of your capabilities and progress in your career?

Yes, we need to acknowledge sometimes that there are promises players want that we just cant fulfill, but then in that case there needs to be dialogue options addressing them, like: "I'm sorry, [player], but my board just won't allow me to hire any more staff right now, so I'm going to have to say no to that as it is out of my hands," and "Hey [chairman], the difference between signing Messi or not is one coach, can you please allow me to hire someone new to meet his pre-contract demands?" etc. We can't stomach the defeat of failing promises realistically if when we promised someone a new coach the option to ask the board to hire a new one NEVER EVEN APPEARS AT ALL. It's not like we tried and failed, but the game is set up poorly in this area and often keeps us from even trying. In real life you would never not be able to speak about these relevant hurdles.

15 hours ago, Weston said:

Does anyone know if new signing's promise requests are actually connected to the current state of your club or are purely based on the player's inclinations and personality?  For example, if you have really good coaching staff will that actually deter players from asking for you to improve it or will they do so regardless? I ask because I got the board to increase the allowed amount of coaches, but I don't necessarily need a new coach at this moment. Should I save that extra slot for the next time I sign a player who demands I bring in a new coach so I can do it then, or would bolstering my backroom now preemptively discourage such a request in the first place?

Also, does anyone know if the presence or such demands of the lack thereof is even actually dependent on the current state of your club at a definite value? Say, if your coaching ability passes a certain coded benchmark will players stop asking for improvements? Or will new players always ask for things as it is their nature and they arbitrarily choose what they want based on narrow personal feelings? In other words, do I go get that other coach now or wait, because I still don't know what to do...

1 hour ago, Weston said:

Yes, we need to acknowledge sometimes that there are promises players want that we just cant fulfill, but then in that case there needs to be dialogue options addressing them, like: "I'm sorry, [player], but my board just won't allow me to hire any more staff right now, so I'm going to have to say no to that as it is out of my hands," and "Hey [chairman], the difference between signing Messi or not is one coach, can you please allow me to hire someone new to meet his pre-contract demands?" etc. 

An excellent idea.

6 hours ago, damocles said:

Lots of these seem to be examples of genuine bugs, but many in the thread aren't really allowing for the humanity of players to enter into it.  It turns out that football players are often prima-donnas who will blame you for stuff that isn't your fault.

I don't buy this at all. Fact is, broken promises can ruin your save - it isn't just an annoyance. Your entire squad can turn against you for not strengthening the coaching team (even when you clearly do), or not strengthening the defence (when you absolutely have).
In the real world players are indeed prima donnas, but managers can have proper conversations with them. Our options in-game are vastly more limited, we have but 1 route to follow, we follow it but it flies back in our face because the system doesn't work as it should.

If an option opened up thereafter to explain WHY we couldn't meet the player's expectations it would actually be quite enjoyable. Alas, it's another closed-end cul-de-sac in the game.

I'd also like to add to this thread how ridiculous it is that when a player just now complained to me that I blocked his transfer to a CL club and I replied "well work hard and help US qualify" he interpreted that as me promising him we would qualify this season :seagull:

2 hours ago, Weston said:

I'd also like to add to this thread how ridiculous it is that when a player just now complained to me that I blocked his transfer to a CL club and I replied "well work hard and help US qualify" he interpreted that as me promising him we would qualify this season :seagull:

How else can you see that? He had the chance to get CL football as soon as he transfer, so you're promising him roughly the same thing at your club.

6 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

How else can you see that? He had the chance to get CL football as soon as he transfer, so you're promising him roughly the same thing at your club.

I was trying to tell him "work hard and you can eventually lead this club to CL qualification yourself" not "I will let you leave this club if I don't lead you to CL football in the next four months"!

If he didn't like that he could've responded appropriately but I was not aware I was basically entering into a verbal contract to sell him half a season later...

1 minute ago, Weston said:

I was trying to tell him "work hard and you can eventually lead this club to CL qualification yourself" not "I will let you leave this club if I don't lead you to CL football in the next four months"!

If he didn't like that he could've responded appropriately but I was not aware I was basically entering into a verbal contract to sell him half a season later...

There's a huge difference in time frame between getting to leave to get CL football, which apparently he could get immediately and you thinking you're promising him CL football somewhere in the future. 

37 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

There's a huge difference in time frame between getting to leave to get CL football, which apparently he could get immediately and you thinking you're promising him CL football somewhere in the future. 

But I wasn't promising him anything, I was taking his complaint and turning it around into a motivating call to action. If he wants CL football then he should play better and make the team qualify for it. I'm not saying he had to like that response, it just seems like misleading dialogue that again ties back into how poorly implemented promises are.

IMO you're right, the text example you've given is not a promise on your part but more a chalenge to the player to improve. If I wanted to be picky if te players agrees with your statement then essentially they have promised to improve & guide the club to Champions League qualifictaion.

35 minutes ago, Weston said:

But I wasn't promising him anything, I was taking his complaint and turning it around into a motivating call to action. If he wants CL football then he should play better and make the team qualify for it. I'm not saying he had to like that response, it just seems like misleading dialogue that again ties back into how poorly implemented promises are.

The promise is fine, as long as the text is clear enough. If the text string wasn't clear enough, report it.

Archived