FM16 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

How are the own goals being scored? If you have the team instruction to "hit low crosses" then maybe that's why as defenders can't deal with them? Calamitous League Two defending.. :p

Good update though, and a nice team to pick too - local rivals to Notts County, who I see you've already beaten this season, on their own patch! :(

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are the own goals being scored? If you have the team instruction to "hit low crosses" then maybe that's why as defenders can't deal with them? Calamitous League Two defending.. :p

Good update though, and a nice team to pick too - local rivals to Notts County, who I see you've already beaten this season, on their own patch! :(

Yeah, none of them were real calamity own goals. Most if not all are from low crosses and the defender is under pressure from a nearby striker. In fact, it's only when you see the replay that you can really see it wasn't the striker finishing it off. I've scored and conceded a freak goal from the full-back wide on the flank in those classic 'he didn't mean it moments'. If the OG tally settles down then I will be more content, but four in the last five games - not to mention the slightly goal crazy score lines - seems a little unlikely.

The win over County should be shameful for them. We kept a clean sheet away and won. You'll see that trend stopped abruptly!

Great update there Jogo and good to see you back.

Not ideal results perhaps but I am sure you will turn it round once the team get used to your tactics and methods

Cheers PL. I actually went on a six match winless streak after that, but made some personnel changes and the last few games have been a little better. At least defensively there is finally a hint that we might be improving - it could hardly have got any worse!

Have you found yourself a new home yet?

Got some players for anybody who wants them:

Morten Koch - L2/L1 CB. Free signing whos been released from some Danish side. Wants paltry wages.

Lucas Akins - Signed on a free and he's easily my best player. Play him as a Winger (a) and he'll get both goals and assists.

Paul Coutts - Reliable CM from Sheff United, low-Championship his level.

Quick update from life at Notts County:

We're currently 3rd, following a little blip in our form, and Hartlepool deciding to go on an unbelievable run, breezing past anyone in their way, they overtook us and are now 2nd, behind Portsmouth at the top. Hartlepool really are on a mad run of form, winning their last 5 games convincingly, including a 0-3 demolition away at Portsmouth and a 3-0 demolition at home to us... :( A few injuries here and there haven't helped us, but we're still in the automatic promotion places, and in to the third round of the FA Cup at home to Everton.

The table is as follows after 25 games:

1st - Portsmouth - 51 points

2nd - Hartlepool - 47 points

3rd - Notts County - 46 points

---------------------------------------------

4th - York - 41 points

5th - Wycombe - 38 points

6th - Leyton Orient - 38 points

7th - Cambridge United - 37 points

Oh, and Izale McLeod is still banging them in for fun - he's now got 19 goals in 24 games.

Quick update from life at Notts County:

We're currently 3rd, following a little blip in our form, and Hartlepool deciding to go on an unbelievable run, breezing past anyone in their way, they overtook us and are now 2nd, behind Portsmouth at the top. Hartlepool really are on a mad run of form, winning their last 5 games convincingly, including a 0-3 demolition away at Portsmouth and a 3-0 demolition at home to us... :( A few injuries here and there haven't helped us, but we're still in the automatic promotion places, and in to the third round of the FA Cup at home to Everton.

The table is as follows after 25 games:

1st - Portsmouth - 51 points

2nd - Hartlepool - 47 points

3rd - Notts County - 46 points

---------------------------------------------

4th - York - 41 points

5th - Wycombe - 38 points

6th - Leyton Orient - 38 points

7th - Cambridge United - 37 points

Oh, and Izale McLeod is still banging them in for fun - he's now got 19 goals in 24 games.

Well done Gizmo :applause: Keep going, are you playing McLeod as a Poacher or Advanced Forward ?

Playing him as an advanced forward, with Stead as deep-lying forward.

McLeod really is an enigma for me though, I just can't seem to work him out, he's just such a frustrating player to watch but still manages to pop up with a goal or two regularly :D I think it's his shocking mental attributes that make him a League Two striker and no more.

How's your save going?

Playing him as an advanced forward, with Stead as deep-lying forward.

McLeod really is an enigma for me though, I just can't seem to work him out, he's just such a frustrating player to watch but still manages to pop up with a goal or two regularly :D I think it's his shocking mental attributes that make him a League Two striker and no more.

How's your save going?

I've been neglecting Notts lately, as I have a Sheff Wed save that I'm concentrating on, but with Stead I have been playing him as a Target Man (s) and he did well in Pre Season, scored a lot of goals from set pieces and Mcleod was feeding off his flick ons.

Good stuff Gizmo, well in the promotion mix. I was hoping Matt Green would be my Izale McLeod but that early injury hampered him. Hopefully he'll have a similar tally if we get our overall form sorted though. Are you planning to cull the Dutch/Belgian influence in your squad? Any of them any good?

Never done LLM before always managed in the top european leagues, but this year im giving Gateshead a go.

Just looking for some general tips and advice on LLM, things to look out for, tips, potential staff/players.

As it stands im doing ok tactics wise won 5 of my first 5 as Gateshead only conceding 2 goals.

Ive found trusting my DOF to get some good talent in for me is working, as i only have 1 scout on my books and no money for any more.

He has found me some bargains and good free transfers so i think ill be using him often.

Playing a Control 4-4-2 will post the tactic later when im online.

Thanks in advance.

Are you planning to cull the Dutch/Belgian influence in your squad? Any of them any good?

Yeah I'm trying to be more British based, most of the Dutch are old and not great anyway, they're just all on pretty hefty wages. Stanley Aborah is okay, Gills Swerts is a solid utility player, but that's about it. Can't get Snijders to perform at all, which isn't helped with the fact that he's always bloody injured!

Had Everton in the FA Cup third round - managed to stifle them completely and drew 0-0 at our ground, meaning that we'd earn a replay at Goodison. We went 0-2 up after just 30 minutes, I couldn't believe it! Then Everton pulled one back a minute before half-time, so we went in at the break leading 1-2.

We stuck at our initial gameplan of sitting back, soaking it up and hitting them on the counter, which seemed to be working until the 71st minute when my centre-back stupidly gives away a penalty and Baines makes it 2-2, gutting. We then just absolutely combust and Everton score another 3 goals in the final 20 minutes, meaning we lose 5-2 :( Lukaku got himself a hat-trick and was unplayable second half. Back to the League Two struggles it is!

Really tough luck in the FA Cup there Gizmo, but a good effort. Where in the league are you now? Trust that Izale is still the main man?

I've just reached January in season 1 at Mansfield. I'll add a couple of screenies shortly, but need to do better as we are in a lower position than last time I updated :rolleyes:

Mansfield Town - October, November & December 2015

So, this hasn't been easy at all. Form has continued to be up and down since the last update, and every time I think we may be well placed to push on, we prove that we aren't. Luckily my strikers Matt Green and Adi Yusuff are doing a decent job, as is my summer signing Jozsef Piller who has assisted and scored in equal measure. Other than that, it's been a bit inconsistent, with only Reggie Lambe (when fit and not on international duty) and Chris Clements being reliable.

I've extended contracts on quite a few of the younger players, who have been given a decent run in the side - but plenty of the senior players will be out of contract in the summer. There is no indication that I will want to keep them around any longer than is necessary, and I'll have a quick look around in the January window to see if we can solidify the side a bit better. I'm set to welcome central midfielder Garry Buckley today as he arrives on a free at the end of his contract with Cork City. This one was agreed in the summer but we didn't have the funds to exercise the 'buy now' option.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures_zpsvk5t5r3w.png

Sky%20Bet%20League%202_%20Overview%20Stages_zpsyz5b3zrm.png

Jogo - I'm still currently 3rd, in mid January, debating on whether or not to bring in a new centre-back on loan, as we're shocking at the back! Portsmouth and Hartlepool still the top 2 and both look strong.

PhroX - Portsmouth 12th?! What's happened there? Thought they walked the league on everyone's save? :D

I always start a long term save with Accrington, every year. I will start this with FM16 this week :)

It is always fun to try to find youngsters cheap or for free and then develop them and get good profit when selling them.

Haven´t won promotion with Accrington since FM11, but still very fun to play them every year. Here it starts again....

PhroX - Portsmouth 12th?! What's happened there? Thought they walked the league on everyone's save? :D

Yeah, it's great. Pity they aren't another 12 places down, but still.... :p

They can't score goals to save their lives. Amazing defense though.

The wheels are starting to fall off at Notts County... :(

We've only managed 3 wins in our last 11 league games, and we've now slipped down to 4th and a whole 13 points off Portsmouth at the top. Just been called in for a board meeting and they want me to get 10 points from my next 5 games, otherwise I'm gone!

Leyton Orient (5th - home)

Plymouth (15th - away)

Dag & Red (16th - home)

Bristol Rovers (13th - home)

Yeovil (10th - away)

That's 3 wins and a draw, if I can't manage to get that from this bunch then I deserve to get sacked to be honest! :D:(

Will do a proper update when I'm home from work but I've finally started to get to grips with a Posh save. Managed to get a 442 that seems to be working. Counter attacking away from home and controlling style of play at home. Had some really good results including knocking Middlesbrough out of the League Cup.

Only made a few signings, the main one being Sam McQueen from Southampton (pretty sure that's his name) for £375k to play LM. Taylor is an absolute beast at RM as a WMS. Top scorer and most assists in the team so far.

Hoping to push for a play-off spot but would be more than happy to get anything from 1st - 10th.

Decided to holiday for a little while as I was struggling to find a save that I was enjoying and could get in to. Got to around February and saw that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's job was under threat at Burton Albion with them in 22nd. The unbelievable facilities and the fact they are my most local Football League club meant they took my fancy so I created a new manager and too over.

The first task was to survive relegation which we did by the skin of our teeth. At one point it looked like we might move into mid table but an awful run of form over the last seven games or so meant we only stayed up by one point, although there were a lot of teams on the same number of points.

I then decided that a squad clearout was necessary. Tom Naylor and Anthony O'Connor left for around £50k between them. Ideally I'd have wanted more than that but I have a pretty irrational dislike for any players that aren't at least reasonable with their weaker foot so the opportunity to get a fee, however small, came in handy. O'Connor's performances at the end of the season also frustrated me so I felt I could get better in. Also leaving on frees were Hogan Ephraim (signed by JFH), Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, Robbie Weir, Darius Charles, Dean Lyness, Lucas Akins, Timmy Thiele and Tom Flanagan as well as a few youth players.

This left a pretty big gap in the squad so there inevitably needed to be some incomings. Darragh Lenihan, Dion Conroy, Bernard Mensah and Tom Rosenthal came in from Blackburn, Chelsea, Watford and QPR respectively, all on free transfers. Ben Garratt came in from Crewe for a club record £100k which was pricey but he will either be my first choice keeper for a long time or we will be able to make a substantial profit in the future so I felt it was worth the cost. Then came my best bits of business. I suggested to the board that we got a parent club in and they came back with Wolves. I ummed and ahhed about whether or not to sign any of the loan players on offer due to the realism of it but then I thought it's something that Swindon have done in real life too. In came Jed Wallace, George Saville and Ethan Ebanks-Landell on season long loans. This all leaves me with a squad that I feel should be right up there at the end of the season and definitely not fighting another relegation battle.

Will keep you all updated!

Welcome back Jamo! I signed Rosenthal in my BETA test with Oxford but don't think I got the best out of him - hopefully you will. Lenihan was a good pick, realistic too as he was popular in his loan at Burton last season. I took him to Chesterfield in FM15 and he was decent in League 1. I like the signing of Garratt, and the three Wolves loans will really add some more quality. Good luck in season 2!

Welcome back Jamo! I signed Rosenthal in my BETA test with Oxford but don't think I got the best out of him - hopefully you will. Lenihan was a good pick, realistic too as he was popular in his loan at Burton last season. I took him to Chesterfield in FM15 and he was decent in League 1. I like the signing of Garratt, and the three Wolves loans will really add some more quality. Good luck in season 2!

Thanks Jogo! Been a while since I posted in one of these threads ;)

Rosenthal will be one for the U21's at first I think and we'll see how he does but he certainly has a lot of potential! I like Lenihan as he gives me a left footer to play alongside Mousinho at centre half and like you say he's been here before too!

Small Accrington update, currently 15th after 11 games which I am happy with, won 4, drawn 2 and lost 5, 14 points so far, no stand out players so far, Fejiri Okenabirhie is a good young Nigerian striker I signed on a free and has got 2 out of 2 so far when he has played and an average rating of 8.90, Connor Hunte is my 2nd best player, signed on loan from Wolves a young left winger who has scored 3 in 6 games so far, also stand out players are Carlos Shirallpour, a Danish right back who you should all sign on a free, managed to get a good young keeper in Chris Kettings on loan from Palace, he is my number 1 for the season.

Transfers wise you should look at signing Bruno Wilson, Shaun Harrad, Nathan Waters, Valentin Gjokaj on frees.

RB, good luck with Accrington. Good to see somebody keeping me company in the bottom half of League 2!

I've hit the end of February 2016 with Mansfield. Still inconsistent - safe, but currently nowhere near a play-off spot. I have, however, managed to tighten up a defence that was one of the leakiest in the division. That has had consequences on our own impressive scoring record, but it had to be done. I've strengthened my defence in the window with some cheap and astute signings, and on deadline day managed to finally bag a 'proper' keeper on a free. Despite some lengthy injuries to key players, a minor tactical tweak in my last outing makes me fool myself in to believing I am much closer to a better run of form. Time will tell on that!

Hopefully I can pop up a proper update this evening.

First season complete. Finished 1st closely followed by Sheffield Wednesday.

Middlesbrough has a new club owner and the squad harmony has went down. After spending £11 million in the pre season transfer window on potential youths,Darren Gibson on the free transfer and a new right back to replace Kalas loaned from Chelsea. My squad is packed and everybody can be easily replaced by the younger men. Daniel Jardine is proving hard to keep and his morale is lower than I thought it would be. Received Victor Valdez for 658k from Manchester United to replace Agazzi who's loan spell finished and I didn't want to replace him along with Kalic to cover Valdez.

Started the season off with a game against Liverpool, which was a boring game to be fair with both teams even on stats and the game finished 1-1. Watford followed after Liverpool, which we go a very comfortable win 1-0 with a huge possession and shot start. Norwich held onto a draw were we kept possession but didn't really pose with little shots on target from our high shot rate 0-0. Capital 1 cup game vs Rotherham and I decided to play my youth with Valdez being the only regular and I was surprised when we absolutely destroyed them with Rotherham only getting 2 shots on target and us winning the game 2-0.

Newcastle next which I highly fear,especially away from home. They seem to have a quality side and I fear my tactics will get me destroyed as their crossing game from the wide seem to be their most dangerous asset in the game this season so far.

4 games in total this year. 1 conceded and 3 scored. Not a bad start to the first year in the premier league.

peterborough-utd119-34869.png

PETERBOROUGH UNITED - END OF SEASON 2015/16

I meant to do an update in January but it completely slipped my mind so it'll just have to be the full season round-up.

As is usual for me and FM, I begin my career with my beloved Peterborough United. One thing I wanted to do finally this year was get a 4-4-2 formation to work. I'd always struggled with it in past versions and usually had to revert to a solo striker formation, but with the talents of Conor Washington and Lee Angol, I wanted to utilise both of these in their favoured positions.

The main acquisition during pre-season was Sam McQueen from Southampton. He turned out to be £375k well spent and has proven to be key on the left side of the midfield. Despite a shaky pre-season which included losses to Hartlepool and Oxford United, our season started magnificently, avoiding defeat in the league until October. We defeated Middlesbrough after extra time in the second round of the League Cup before being knocked out by Bristol City in the next round. From then on, consistency as a bit of a problem. I put this mainly down to a few injury troubles we had, both Angol and Washington were injured for lengthy periods at separate points of the season, which led to the loan addition of Jerome Sinclair and the purchase of Jason Cummings. We knocked out both Sunderland and Burnley from the FA Cup before Tottenham demolished us 1-5 at White Hart Lane in the fifth round. We made it to the South Semi-Final of the JPT where AFC Wimbledon eliminated us on penalties. I fielded 'weakened' teams in the JPT as it was not important to the board or to myself.

Throughout the league season, it seemed that at times we were completely incapable of holding onto leads. In fact, three times we threw two goal leads away to lose or draw. I asked the chairman for more transfer money to combat this which led to a budget increase of £1.6m. The last 16 games of the season were the key moments though. Although we still lost four of those games, there was a four game winning streak of away matches, including wins at Wigan and Millwall. I would've been more than happy with a play-off spot, that was more than I expected at the start of the season. However, with two games left to play, we were sat in third position with matches with a trip to second-placed Shrewsbury and a home match to Blackpool to come. A solid 0-0 draw with Shrewsbury left us one point off of automatic promotion, with Shrewsbury facing a difficult trip to fourth-placed Swindon. We did our bit, beating Blackpool 3-0 at home and we had Swindon to thank as they defeated Shrewsbury 1-0, confirming our automatic promotion back to the Championship.

Absolutely delighted with how the season turned out. Key players were Lee Angol, Conor Washington, Liam Shephard (on loan from Swansea) and our undoubted player of the season, Jon Taylor. His stats just speak for himself really. Target for next season is purely to avoid relegation, plain and simple.

Nice work Maxey. I also found Washington & Taylor amongst the better players when managing them in FM15 (that was with 442 too). Good luck next season.

Mansfield Town - January & February 2016

So, another two months have passed and inconsistency continues to be the theme at Field Mill. On the positive side, the defence is looking much more solid, but at the other end of the pitch we have been struggling to find the net as freely as before. Having had a few key players out injured for some time (Piller, Green and Buckley amongst them), we now have most players fit again. I also believe we had a good transfer window that should finally see us push on in the remaining 13 matches. In the last outing I decided a higher defensive line would possibly suit us, and also I have asked the team to close down more. I hope we can compress the game, and get the ball forward easier to the players in the side with pace.

Our business in the transfer window was mainly focusing on the defence, for obvious reasons. On the final day I was also able to make a signing that I hope will be the catalyst for improvement at the back, as the goalkeeping position hadn't been adequately filled all season in my opinion.

In

Garry Buckley (Cork City, free) - the central midfielder arrived on New Years Day after signing a pre-contract agreement in the summer

Rhys Marshall (Glenavon, £6.5k) - one of the brightest prospects in Northern Ireland, I expect him to nail down the right-back slot

Omar Bogle (Grimsby, loan) - impressive Vanarama form prompted me to give the striker a chance as a back-up and bench option

Oliver Lancashire (Rochdale, £36k) - unhappy at Rochdale and available for a reduced fee, the central defender should be a major asset at this level

Harrison Dunk (Cambridge, £14k) - capable of playing at left-back, but was needed on the left side of midfield with Piller out for a couple of months

Haraldur Bjornsson (Free Transfer) - signed on deadline day and now the club's highest earner, plenty is expected of the impressive Icelandic 'keeper

Out

Nicky Hunt (Bromley, free)

Craig Westcarr (Cambridge, £10k)

Adam Chapman (Colchester, £28k)

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-2_zpsg362ksqx.png

Sky%20Bet%20League%202_%20Overview%20Stages-2_zps7x88gxlr.png

Phew....

CamLTMay16.jpg

After a credible draw against Notts Co, and a great win against leaders Plymouth, a god awful final performance saw us lose to Mansfield and only scrape automatic promotion on GD. But we got there. Which I'm delighted with, as I really didn't believe it was doable. Of course, none of my players believed me when I said we could stay up next year....

About to start my second season at Sheffield United, after winning the league and thus gaining promotion in season 1. Marc McNulty was the star of the first season, my top goalscorer and the player of the year despite not breaking into the team until November (Harry Kane anyone).

In the first season I signed Brad Smith, Tyias Browning, Harry Winks and Jordan Rossiter on loan, plus Anthony Gerrard and Fabrice Ehret on frees. Sold McEveley and Higdon to earn some extra cash. Going into the second season I have signed Browning (775K) and Smith back (350K) and also brought in Fraizer Campbell (250K). Kenneth McEvoy, David Edgar, Aidan White, Rey Manaj, Luca Palmiero and Ryan Tunnicliffe have come in on frees while Sam Johnstone has joined on loan. Still looking for a few more players, in particular a CB.

Starting line up will probably be:

Johnstone

Browning-Gerrard-Edgar-Smith

Flynn/Adams-Reed-Basham-McEvoy/Woolfood

McNulty/Manaj-Campbell/Sharp

Congrats on your promotions PhroX and Lucas.

@Phro: Who were the main players for you? And on a separate note, did you get much out of Harrison Dunk? I signed him at Mansfield and have been using him on the left side of midfield due to injuries. I like the fact that he can play there or left-back, he can start in either position and also becomes ideal 2-for-1 bench cover because of it too.

@Lucas: I think McNulty was loan-listed at the start of my game, definitely a good option if he would join a L2 side. I'm keeping a close eye on Che Adams too - for future years or if I manage a slightly better club.

@Gizmo: Yeah, Oxford look strong. I found their starting squad very good when I managed them on the BETA.

@Phro: Who were the main players for you? And on a separate note, did you get much out of Harrison Dunk? I signed him at Mansfield and have been using him on the left side of midfield due to injuries. I like the fact that he can play there or left-back, he can start in either position and also becomes ideal 2-for-1 bench cover because of it too.

@Lucas: I think McNulty was loan-listed at the start of my game, definitely a good option if he would join a L2 side. I'm keeping a close eye on Che Adams too - for future years or if I manage a slightly better club.

@Gizmo: Yeah, Oxford look strong. I found their starting squad very good when I managed them on the BETA.

Thankyou! I originally didn't think McNulty had what it takes but he proved me wrong!

Dunk eh? Didn't impress me, went out on loan and was released at the end of the season. In terms of who did well, Jeff Hughes (starts at the club) was my most consistently good performer, mainly playing on the left of midfield in a 442. Barry Corr was my top scorer, though he only got 13 and Alan Forrest turn out to be a very good buy, coming top on assists and second on goals - my coaches think he's got the potential to be at least championship quality, so I'm hoping I can hold onto him. Other names to mention, Felix Horn Myhre (recommended over in the Lower League Bargains thread) signed for about £5k as a 16 year old, and spent pretty much the entire season as my MC(d). Didn't get fantastic ratings, but neither did anyone else who played in that role, and he's developing excellently. His ambition is to win the premiership, and while I'm not sure he can go quite that far, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up good enough to at least play in that league.

Anyone managing Birmingham City ? Demarai Gray is a really good prospect, problem is that he has a 5m release clause in his contract and won't sign another, think I will lose him January, would be good to hear from any other Blues managers to see how they are getting on.

Archived