General Manager, does anyone use it?

Is this the same as Director of Football? In that case I usually get one, but mostly to get rid of unwanted players. But I agree that he sometimes finds exceptional players, though I have set it so I'm the one who finalizes the transfers! :)

Yes, he got me several young players that I was trying myself to get, but the player's club im trying to buy always ask for ridiculous price. I didn't know that General Manager was suppose to do this, just hired one out of curiosity.

Also, my Head of Youth Development too has been buying players on their own (though I have to approve it). Already got 2 England International potential from their purchase.

The problem I have now is that my club is full of youngsters! Not that I mind though :)

I have one, but it annoys me that they make 100% wage contribution offers for loaned players even though the clubs usually always ask for 50%.

Oh, and those times where they suddenly decide to try to sign a bunch of duff players every day for like a week! Have to cancel so many offers. :D

Since they removed the option to have them help with training (why?), the DoF has joined the ranks of useless features. They just seem to do their own thing regardless of instructions and broker terrible deals, wasting huge sums of money.

Moreover why the constant press conference question asking about what I think of other teams employing one? Pointless.

Since they removed the option to have them help with training (why?), the DoF has joined the ranks of useless features. They just seem to do their own thing regardless of instructions and broker terrible deals, wasting huge sums of money.

Moreover why the constant press conference question asking about what I think of other teams employing one? Pointless.

You say its useless but this thread have many players saying that they use it.

You should put "IMO" somewhere in your post.

This is now the first window the DoF has had full control over offering money for transfers.

And he's tried to bring in Benzema and Carlos Vela, both for over 30 million quid.

Thank goodness I was smart enough to set myself as the final contract offerer.

I tried a save where I was at Blyth Spartans and instructed the DoF to find players for the first team. I was not going to buy them myself and just wanted to see if the DoF actually worked an to try something different.

Well sad to say finding 2 players in 2 1/2 season really sucks! So never again.

If my club has too much money, I might just hire one for the lolz. His job is to basically sit there and do nothing. I prefer to do everything myself, and found that these DoF often give overly generous terms to players they sign anyway.

lol I mite invite Jamie carragher to be my gm and shout at my defenders (as liverpool)

Just had more success with mine, he has found me a good goalie and excellent centre forward, both of whom he signed a lot cheaper than I could. Both played well and were sold for a big profit later on.

Then, he managed to grab me two young players that I had set as transfer targets for less than I was managing and they are now joining me in the next window. Given you can see who they are targeting and skip any you don't like, it really is a risk free way to get extra players. If it doesn't work then no harm done but you can get some gems with it. Probably not worth it for any team tight on cash (LLM especially), but for bigger teams it is very useful.

• 11 months later...

I've used the Director of Football in prior iterations of FM with good results. My biggest issue with the DoF in the past has been they sometimes try to spend more money then my team has in its budget. Does anyone know if this is still an issue? Sometimes I'd be willing to give a DoF more control, but I don't want the budget busted.

Archived