Canvey Island - the Rise of the Yellow Army

dafuge

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canvey Island - Sky Bet League 1 - 2021/22

After two successive promotions we were looking forward to a tough relegation battle.

League Table - this wasn't expected. We could have won it had we not failed to win our final three games.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - we lost to lower league opposition.

Capital One Cup - a repeat of last year's exit.

FA Cup - a decent run, just a shame we were drawn at home.

Transfers - some great free transfers as I brought in some much needed squad depth.

Squad - there's a handful of players who should be good enough, but I'll need some new signings.

Finances - the owners kept topping us up to avoid financial trouble.

Key Player Profiles:

Chris Long - top scorer again, but he's starting to find it tougher.

Robbie Gordon - a great new supporting striker.

Andreas Pereira - not the quickest, but he's playing well on the wing.

Miro Muheim - still playing well.

Rohan Ince - such an important player.

Career Overview

Season    League                       Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16   Vanarama Conference South    9th       
2016/17   Vanarama Conference South    1st         Promoted as champions
2017/18   Vanarama Conference Premier  20th        FA Trophy finalists
2018/19   Vanarama Conference Premier  13th        FA Trophy finalists
2019/20   Vanarama Conference Premier  1st         Promoted as champions
2020/21   Sky Bet League 2             2nd         Promoted
2021/22   Sky Bet League 1             2nd         Promoted

Next Season

Once again we make the unexpected move up to a new league, so hopefully there will be some improvements in our scouting to allow me to bring in some new players.

3 consecutive promotions is just insane!

daf how do you do your scouting? How much knowledge % do you get of a player before signing him?

I'm mostly buying unattached players, so I try and get them in on trial first.

As for the others, I tend to go in after just a few reports. I've never really paid that much attention to the attributes, so I'm happy to trust the star ratings my scouts give them.

Based on the goals for and against, along with all the promotions, I think it's fair to say your season ticket holders are getting their money's worth!

Do you use any specific team instructions? I can't seem to get any consistency in my career.

My tactics are pretty basic, the only time I really get success is when I have decent players.

Here's a link to my tactics if you want to take look, although it really isn't anything special.

Great progress, do you feel that the game is too easy this year?

I'm not sure if the game is too easy, I've seen plenty of other people struggling and getting sacked.

I'm just worried that my tactics are making the most out of the current ME, despite that not being the intention when I set them up.

I've found it a little harder this year, if anything. The new scouting system makes finding players at the BSN/S level much more difficult.

At that level I've always relied on unattached players and trials, so the change to the scouting system hasn't really changed much for me. It should make things a bit better at the top level though as finding the best young players won't be so easy.

It's a bit of a kop out, but if you take them on trial then you can see all of their stats.

@ Lenzar

It is a shame that it negates the new scouting system, but this isn't something I'm deliberately exploiting. I've always used this approach (on all versions of FM) with unattached players as I think it makes sense.

Canvey Island - Sky Bet Championship - 2022/23

After three successive promotions, the squad needed rebuilding to make that final push to the top flight.

League Table - we had a brilliant start finding ourselves top after eight games, but we faded badly as the season went on.

Capital One Cup - it was a decent run that ended badly at the hands of Newcastle.

FA Cup - favourable draws took us all the way to Wembley, where we lost badly to Chelsea.

Transfers - a new scouting range meant I had busy year bringing in new players from Europe.

Squad - we are a few decent players short of having a decent squad.

Finances - the money worries are a thing of the past.

Key Player Profiles:

Frankie Murphy - joint top scorer, from the supporting striker role.

Christian Brogger - the other top scorer.

Arnaud Gautier - a stylish winger.

Ourdy Landu - a solid defensive midfielder.

Max Schonfeld - one of my best signings.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022/23   Sky Bet Championship         10th        

Next Season

I think we can make the playoffs with a few new players. If I can get a quality goalscorer we might stand a chance of promotion.

Canvey Island - Sky Bet Championship - 2023/24

Despite a mid table finish last season, I had brought in a few quality players so I knew we stood a good chance of making the playoffs if I could add just a few key players.

League Table - our leaky defence made us very inconsistent, but somehow Brighton were unable to take advantage of our dips in form.

Capital One Cup - once again we lost out to Premier League opposition.

FA Cup - another great run, but outclassed by better opposition again.

Transfers - the player sales allowed me to bring some great free transfers in.

Squad - the defence is the only area that badly needs strengthening.

Finances - doesn't look great, but the TV money next year should sort that out.

Key Player Profiles:

Fabinho - this was the goal scorer we badly missed last season.

Martin Jakobsen - had a great season supporting Fabinho.

Arnaud Gautier - another great season, despite finishing as a right back.

Piero Serio - having a DM like this makes such a difference.

Philip Clarke - made an impact when signed late on during an injury crisis.

Career Overview

2022/23   Sky Bet Championship         10th        
2023/24   Sky Bet Championship         1st         Promoted as champions 

Next Season

Next season will be all about building a squad capable of competing in the Premier League, while avoiding relegation.

Did your tactic manage to survive the latest patch or did you have to make tweaks?

Excellent work getting to the Premier League :applause:

It's good enough to stick with, although the play down the wings doesn't look quite as effective.

I also seem to be conceding a lot of goals from rebounds, although it could be a dodgy keeper.

I was down to 16 following the January transfer window :D

I just couldn't afford to sign squad players, it meant I had quite a few games playing people completely out of position.

How on earth do you get through a 46-game league season, plus the good run in the cups with that small a squad? Winning leagues with that side, playing players out of position with that small a squad seems highly unrealistic to me. Either your tactics are exploiting big holes in the engine, or you're the spawniest individual in the history of mankind!

How on earth do you get through a 46-game league season, plus the good run in the cups with that small a squad? Winning leagues with that side, playing players out of position with that small a squad seems highly unrealistic to me. Either your tactics are exploiting big holes in the engine, or you're the spawniest individual in the history of mankind!

I have done this myself in the past. The inevitable holes you fill with youth teamers to sit on the bench.

In real life, my club has less than 20 professionals in League One. We regularly have no more than 18 in recent times.

Archived