Keeping goalkeepers happy ( or not? )

Interested in people's thoughts as to how you effectively replicate what happens at most of the clubs in probably the top 2 divisions in every country.

i.e. you have 3 first team goalkeepers, you have a #1 who you play in the majority of games. You have a #2 who plays in the odd cup game. And you have a #3 who keeps the other two on their toes and is available to step in when there are injuries / suspensions. And as far as I'm aware, the #2 and #3 don't ask for a transfer 10 games into the season, because they're not getting first team action.

I can only ever seem to keep 2 first team goalkeepers happy and keeping the #2 happy is a fine balance of giving him the right amount of games, often when I don't particularly want to play him. A third is unheard of.

Are there swathes of unhappy goalkeepers around the country all demanding first team football and transfers elsewhere? I doubt that.

The AI teams seem to do it. Any tips?

I think the answer is in the type of GK you assign to position #1, #2 & #3.

How I see it is that #1 is your best GK at the absolute peak of his powers and easily 1st choice.

#2 is older GK who is past his prime and while he may have been a star when he was younger, he is happy to play the odd game now and again.

#3 is a young GK who is ideally being mentored by either #1 or #2 or both and who is not really ready for 1st team action yet.

#2 & #3 are not gonna complain just so long as you have someone who is willing to do that.

If you have 3 GK's who are much of a muchness and none of whom are listed as "Backup" or "hot prospect" then of course they are going to be ubhappy when they don't play.

What is the squad status of each GK?

I Have no tips as I struggle with it too. I sign goalkeepers as backups yet they still complain about lack of first team football. It's something you can't solve unless you simply give them first team football. Players like Hilario and Ross Turnbull at Chelsea have done it for ages now so I don't see why the game doesn't allow it to happen.

No idea, I've had two number two keepers in three seasons and both have been unhappy! Had to get rid of Sergio Romero but am now rotating Perrin and Rafael.

I've thought about the need for a third keeper, but I just keep two. Gonna sign a really young one to sit in my U19's and develop for a few years, sitting on the bench if one gets injured.

One experienced keeper who has the number one shirt and expects to play every game, The second keeper will either be older still and happy to do a player coach role, or a keeper who has already played a few games and is 22/23 and almost ready to replace the number one. The second option I will play in all cup games and even the odd league game when #1 is getting a bit complacent.

My 3rd keeper is always an 17-20 year old who is out on loan with a recall option then i'll have a 17/18 year old ready to fill the bench in a real emergency or if the number 3 can't be recalled immediately

What is the squad status of each GK?

#1 - Key player. 25yrs old. super star. Ukranian regen. I even have problems keeping this one happy as he's an ambitious little sod.

#2 - Rotation (signed as rotation - that was what his agent proposed, not what I negotiated) - he is 29 and is in and out of the France squad, so maybe he's frustrated at that.

#3 - doesn't exist, can't keep them happy. Just end up selling them. Used to be 'backup'.

I've never had a young goalkeeper with enough potential to eventually be first team material.

I've had other #2's though, but never an ageing has-been. Its a good idea. I'll try it. I have youngsters in my U21s and U18s, but there's no way I'd let them near the first team.

It's weid, I've never had this problem at all, (but then my #1 GK was so much better than the others for the last 5ish years that it didn't matter).

Now he has gone and #2 wasn't up to scratch and neither was my #3 so I have signed and ageing RRZ and the status quo is still the same. RRZ is a bit injury prone though so the #3 is playing right now anyway.

ps. In 10 and a half seasons I haven't had a GK injured in a match or sent off, so now, despite the fact that I have 12 sub slots in Serie A, I never put a GK on the bench.

[Edit]

Also who are you managing ntw? If you are playing in Europe, can't you play a poorer GK in the group stages?

I'm playing a 17yo in Serie A and in the EURO Cup at the moment. Granted he's a bit of a liability, but it's an investment for the future. I've always got a few teenagers in and around each match-day squad. Got a belting HG DM that has just turned 16 that has already made 7 sub appearances for me this season and it's only 2nd November.

It's not a problem that's restricted to keepers. I've had several players signed to backup contracts that throw a fit due to lack of first-team games; some were signed in March at the beginning of the MLS season and then started complaining by May, even though they're rated at one star and, frankly, aren't good enough for the team (I signed them as cover for the squad in case of injuries.)

Yes, there are talented players that fight for places on teams and yes, some of them do get frustrated and seek more playing time...but I can't really think of any where it involves a player that was brought in with the clear understanding that he was not expected to play much of a role with the team.

Also who are you managing ntw? If you are playing in Europe, can't you play a poorer GK in the group stages?

Blackburn Rovers. I can, but only if I'm confident I can win or I've already qualified from the group stages. CL group stages are tough though. Some of the minor nations are fine, but there are a lot of teams where I need my #1 GK in CL.

I signed him in January the previous season and he got some FA cup games and the odd premier league game, but was largely on the bench. This season he's played league cup games and the weaker CL teams, but I think the damage was done last season when he didn't play for much of the second half of the season, when I signed him as a 'rotation'.

I tend to go with

1 being by far the best goalkeeper I have.

2 Either a has been or a decent youngster, but basically someone who is signed on a hot prospect or backup contract that is definitely not currently as good as my main keeper (if you have 2 similar level of keeper, the backup seems to complain a lot more as they think they're just as good I guess).

3 Same as 2, but usually the opposite one.

I mainly aim for has-been at 2, then youth at 3. If the youth is very young, then they train and play for my second teams. If they are old enough for proper football then they go out an a recall-able loan deal (apart from in higher leagues where I can't always recall outside of windows).

If you ever have 2 closely skilled keepers, or have a young keeper that's too good to not play, but not as good as your main keeper, it's better to loan them out (preferably making money) and bringing in another lesser keeper for your backup instead. Else you risk upsetting your future star and not being able to rely on him when you finally need him.

I never have more than one keeper in the squad. If my keeper get an injury, then I rely on some random u19 keeper or a gray one. Its so few matches that I have needed to do this in the 30 or so seasons I have played on my save, that I dont find it worth the hassle to deal with unhappy backup GKs.

The No 1: Plays every game he is available for except domestic cup games

The No 2: Plays all/most of the domestic cup games, depending if the No 3 is good enough

The No 3: Spends the season rotting in the Reserves/U21, or playing there if he's young enough, will start if I feel the opponent is rubbish

I normally have my backup keeper as a experienced domestic player which is especially handy when the league has domestic quotas. For example, one of my keepers (in a prior season) was Karl Darlow or Ben Hamer, both of which weren't good enough to challenge Marek Stech or Alberto Brignoli.

I don't seem to have problems with a 2-keeper system, because one of them is always getting called up for Internationals, so the other one gets plenty of cover time. But players signed as "back up" strikers and midfielders throw fits and demand first-squad time or loans almost immediately after signing on. And if you tell them you'd prefer they develop at home, they go ballistic and start crying. Really, I can't depend on another coach to develop my players (because they don't), but no one's going to get 38 starts a season.

Personally, in my save i have Ter Stegen as my clear number 1. my number 2 is Butland, who plays the league cup, no matter what round, the FA cup early stages and Champs league 6th game if already qualified.

As for a third keeper, generally i buy a 18-22 year old as well and loan them out with a recall option incase i get an injury of any decent legngth to my other 2 GKs.

then theres a 16 year old in the U18 team.

I'm running with a full 25 man Barca squad, 2 GK's backup is 3 star 26 or so.

My backup players is all signed for their international teams and most is mentioned as stars in their Bio and I've not had a complaint.

Okay, Barca has two matches a week and I don't really have much choice than rotate every 3 matches or I run Messi and the other first team stars into the ground, but just because the harsh season forces the issue for me, doesn't mean the rest of you can't learn to play backups once every 3 games.

Don't play all your backups in the same game, it will ruin you team, just rotate 2 maybe 3 and use substituting in games.

Second advantage is the fact I have no reserve team, so I either play my backups or they aren't match fit. Reserves is for getting injured players back to match fit state, not to keep signed backups match fit.

Whilst its interesting to hear other people doing similar things to me, it doesn't really address the original point. There are keepers up and down the country (not up and coming youths or ageing journeymen) who are happy to languish in the reserves and not play first team football, but they aren't all clamouring for transfers out.

GK seems to be a 'special' position in the team. They don't suffer fatigue like other players, so they don't *need* rotating to keep them fresh. And yet their ambitions seem to be treated like any other position in the team.

When I start a game, I usually have one very good first choice GK and a backup or two. I try to sign young players with big potential to eventually replace my no1, but until that youngster is good enough I operate a revolving door policy for my 2nd choice keeper. Usually get someone who is trained in nation or a free transfer older keeper to fill in when no1 is injured. They always get unhappy so I just sell them and get another at the same level. After a year this one gets unhappy too, so I sell him and get another.

It's much easier than trying to keep them all happy.

It's much easier than trying to keep them all happy.

Right - but is that necessarily realistic? Do keepers revolve around IRL as much as that? Where are the Steve Harpers of the game who spend their entire career warming the bench?

I'm not trying to say that it is, or is not realistic - its a genuine question. Is the game accurately (to enough of an extent for a game) depicting RL here or is it just another oversight?

I see your point but TBH I reckon it's better than real life. I like the fact that players want to play and not just warm the bench.

As others have said though, is it to do with contract status?

Or could it be down to their perception of their own status within the team? Do GKs rate themselves based on their CA/rep against the team average or against other GKs in the squad? A player may think he is one of the best players at the club but does he appreciate that there is a world class guy keeping him out of the first team?

I have no idea how this works.

Archived