Rainmaker v2 and Silk & Steel v2.......... A Combined Arms approach to FM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used 3 at the back with an HB and ML/MR in my first season at Soligorsk due to a lack of FBs you get close to a 4-4-2 when defending when attacking looks a lot like Brian Little's Villa team with the outside CB moving to the FB spots.

Well I've made quite a few changes to the tactic and i've got Norwich purring.

Teams finding it very difficult to break us down defensively.

Attacking based around a rampant midfield trio, i dread to think what Arsenal, Man City with their players would be capable of.

Dying to test it with a big team but will finish Norwich season first.

wHPLe2v.png

The defensive aspect is top news! I was finding a bit on the beta that the high defensive line was letting the opposition run in behind me a bit, especially with the fullbacks/wingbacks pushing so high up to offer attacking options.

Agree with a few of the others on here...take a break, regroup, remember that you have a life ;) Always nice to hear about progress though and we do appreciate.

It's such a shame that 14.3 reduced the effectiveness of these tactics.

I've never really managed to get the same success from Rainmaker as some of you guys did but S+S (pre-patch) was absolutely superb. For the first time since getting this game I've really enjoyed it and looked forward to a long save game.

I'm actually annoyed that you don't have an option as to whether you want to download the update. I'd have rather have kept the 14.2 bugs but enjoyed playing it as now, I'm not!

It's such a shame that 14.3 reduced the effectiveness of these tactics.

I've never really managed to get the same success from Rainmaker as some of you guys did but S+S (pre-patch) was absolutely superb. For the first time since getting this game I've really enjoyed it and looked forward to a long save game.

I'm actually annoyed that you don't have an option as to whether you want to download the update. I'd have rather have kept the 14.2 bugs but enjoyed playing it as now, I'm not!

You do, right click the game, properties, updates tab, and do not automatically update this game. Then go to C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2014/data/updates and delete update 14.3, then go back to data folder and you'll see db, and delete 1430.

That's what I'd do anyway, if it doesn't work or breaks anything, I won't be held accountable :D

Norwich save is going very, I am creating between 6 - 10 clear cut chances pretty much every match. Most of these are 1 on 1's. Unfortunately finishing in these situations is still woeful but i'm still wining games by 1 goal when i should be really smashing teams.

Hopefully in my Chelsea test having better players will make the difference.

This match is pretty typical, 9 clear cut chances against a strong Everton team. Only won 1 nil. Note I had 9 corners. This was a result of the keeper constantly making world class saves and tipping shots round the post.

Still won though :brock:

9N7vUJM.png

Norwich save is going very, I am creating between 6 - 10 clear cut chances pretty much every match. Most of these are 1 on 1's. Unfortunately finishing in these situations is still woeful but i'm still wining games by 1 goal when i should be really smashing teams.

This match is pretty typical, 9 clear cut chances against a strong Everton team. Only won 1 nil. Note I had 9 corners. This was a result of the keeper constantly making world class saves and tipping shots round the post.

9N7vUJM.png

I had a match last night using the Beta tactic.

24 shots, 17 on target 8 CCC's. I won 5-0. Had 3 yes 3 goals disallowed for offside lol!

You do, right click the game, properties, updates tab, and do not automatically update this game. Then go to C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2014/data/updates and delete update 14.3, then go back to data folder and you'll see db, and delete 1430.

That's what I'd do anyway, if it doesn't work or breaks anything, I won't be held accountable :D

Ah damn. I'm on a mac so it works slightly differently. I'll have a look around and see if anyone else knows how to do it. Thanks for the tip though.

That just removes the data update part though, doesn't affect the match engine changes, etc...

9N7vUJM.png

Games like this are frustrating - having the same issues with one on ones, keeper always saves. The other thing I've noticed is I am rarely scoring in the 6 yard box - you know the sort where the ball is whipped in, or played through and all it needs is a touch? Keeper always saves, or the shot is always blocked by a defender - really annoying.

Anyhow, I'm 8 games into RM3 now, lost the very first game, unbeaten since with 5 wins and two draws (although both draws saw me go 1-0 down, and rescuing a point from a late penalty - two games in a row!). Scored 19, conceded 7 - and it's my CMa that is scoring the most frequently at the moment, followed by the SS. Villa were 15th when I took over, now 6th - 7 points off top, with 20 games to play - if this keeps up then I may be making a late surging challenge for the title.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the Norwich save - thanks again Mr Rosler

Drama!!

Went into the last day of our first Premier League season in 18th place, a point behind 17th-placed Newcastle but with a better goal-difference. We could also catch Cardiff, being 2 points behind them.

We had a tough game at home to Arsenal, who were finishing 3rd. Newcastle were at home to Norwich, in 6th place. Cardiff were also at home, to Everton (14th).

Newcastle beat Norwich 2-1, so they were safe. Cardiff struggled to a 1-1 draw, which meant we would stay up with a win. Just. But we were playing Arsenal!

This is the match summary...

2507dw1.png

:hammer:

The table:

favp50.png

I said my target was 17th!!

I think i've cracked it.

Pretty much a completely new tactic.

Norwich Season 1, no transfers. Automatic manager reputation.

MEDIA PREDICTION 17TH

fNFFukD.png

Champions League for the Norwich massive :lol:

The game that clinched it, against the Champions elect. 10 CLEAR CUT CHANCES.

Av2fggN.png

Now for Chelsea, I have high hopes but Norwich didn't have to deal with parked defences, that will be key.

Forgive my ignorance Mr Rosler but where can I download this tactic or have you made soem adjustments and so not put it on for us yet?

Well done by the way :applause:

Thanks in advance.

Belt & Braces approach on this one. Want a further season test with Chelsea just to be sure it works with teams of all levels.

And its pretty much a completely new tactic. Not up yet.

(p.s. originally a Stockport boy myself :brock:)

Thanks for that.

Will the tactic be up in this thread or on one of it's own when the time comes? Sorry for all the questions!!

A Stockport boy with a City affiliation is my guess? There are certainly more of you than us Mad Hatters knocking around! Although we are truly mad without a doubt. Very passionate fans.

Thanks for that.

Will the tactic be up in this thread or on one of it's own when the time comes? Sorry for all the questions!!

A Stockport boy with a City affiliation is my guess? There are certainly more of you than us Mad Hatters knocking around! Although we are truly mad without a doubt. Very passionate fans.

Back in the day it was Edgeley Park for the Friday night game, Maine Road on the Saturday.

Will be a new thread if all goes well with Chelsea. Likely tomorrow.

Back in the day it was Edgeley Park for the Friday night game, Maine Road on the Saturday.

Will be a new thread if all goes well with Chelsea. Likely tomorrow.

Thanks for that mate.

I often did the same in the early 80s. Did county on the Friday and on Saturday went with either City or United supporting older brother to watch whoever was at home.

What's the formation? Had just finished a season with Blackburn, promoted, signed a few players for my Premiership adventure that suited the v2 tactics. Then the new patch came out :D

Don't want to give too much away at the moment but you'll be ok. Might need to retrain a few players though.

Ah, good news. Can't wait to try out the new tactic.

Still I'm managing to get better performances out of the v.2 than the the v.3 beta on the new patch but what i can see from the beta is that the attack movement looks really fluid. Tried it with Atletico Madrid, first games lost 4-0 in cup to Barcelona then thumped Rayo Vallecano at home 5-0. Also tried it with Bursaspor but only got a 3-2 loss away at Besiktas and a disappointing home draw 1-1 against Kayseri Erciyesspor.

Looks like there are more chances created but the defense sometimes seems a little off, but I think you probably know all that by now.

Good day to you.

Looking forward to the latest version, my Norwich team is a few seasons in and we're just behind the likes of Man Utd/Chelsea/Man City in terms of how good we are so fingers crossed you have it sussed :)

Be intersted to see what you have found Mr Rosler.

I have been messing around with 2 x SS and its working really well (strikerless).

Also finding 3 at the back isnt the problem many make out, if you use a sweeper rather than a straight 3.

In the last patch, it appears (for me and some people) that the one shot = one goal for the AI is back...

Happened to me last night. Chelsea home against Hull. Dominated the game and lost 1-0 to their single shot on target. Using V3 Beta, the goal came from a ball over the top to their forward running in behind my defenders.

Fantastic job with these tactics so far Mr. Rosler. Can`t wait for the new one for 14.3 - v3.

My question is: Are u making just one "plug`n play" that works both home and away, or will there be two versions? One for hard/away matches, and one for when ur the favorite?

Thought i would try something with this tactic myself to see if i can improve it, set both full backs to fb with support roles and added the following instructions...exploit the middle, play narrower, will let you know what happens

I've been playing around with the original S+S as I really liked that tactic.

The only changes I've made are:

1. Dropped the CF to a SS as in Rainmaker_v3

2. Removed the 'mark tighter' player instruction from all the players

Although I didn't finalise this tactic until late in the season, I did finish 7th and won the Europa League in the third season with Leicester.

I've been playing around with the original S+S as I really liked that tactic.

The only changes I've made are:

1. Dropped the CF to a SS as in Rainmaker_v3

2. Removed the 'mark tighter' player instruction from all the players

Although I didn't finalise this tactic until late in the season, I did finish 7th and won the Europa League in the third season with Leicester.

I did these changes + one more. I changed the goalkeeper to Sweeper Keeper / Support (i think that somewhat helps to combat long balls, which go over CB's).

First match i tried it, won 1-4 away and the F9 scored a hattrick :)

edit:

I did the changes to S&S v2, seems to work in that also. At least based on one match, let' see how it goes.

While waiting for Mr U Rosler's new version, i now use three tactics:

-TFF_CROSS_V2

-S&S v2 with the mentioned modifications

-TFF_CROSS_V2 without striker (my own experiment)

The good thing with these is that you can use the same squad and still get results, tactics compliment each other.

Should be fairly easy to integrate Mr U Rosler's new tactic in too, unless he makes drastic changes :)

While we are waiting for the improved version, i again created one tactic of my own.

To keep this thread clean, i opened a new thread for it. It's located in the main tactics forum, so if anyone wants to try, you can find it there.

It is a bit different formation from the usual ones, but should suit players which are used with RM v 3.

do u have a link to this as cant find it

I did these changes + one more. I changed the goalkeeper to Sweeper Keeper / Support (i think that somewhat helps to combat long balls, which go over CB's).

edit:

I did the changes to S&S v2, seems to work in that also. At least based on one match, let' see how it goes.

-TFF_CROSS_V2

The good thing with these is that you can use the same squad and still get results, tactics compliment each other.

Should be fairly easy to integrate Mr U Rosler's new tactic in too, unless he makes drastic changes :)

Sorry, I meant S+S_v2 rather than the original.

I changed the anchorman to half back to see if that helped with the balls over the top before I removed tight marking from the CDs but it didn't seem so defensively solid.

I can't say I've noticed many goals scored by balls over the top though.

edit:

-TFF_CROSS_V2

In this did you move the SS to the AMR position or keep him in the front 2?

Thought i would try something with this tactic myself to see if i can improve it, set both full backs to fb with support roles and added the following instructions...exploit the middle, play narrower, will let you know what happens
in the end i kept as this but took out the push higher up instruction, used it solely as home formation and for neutral grounds, used S+S for away games, won 6 of last 8 games and drew 2 scoring 14 and conceding 5, won the FA Cup and came 3rd, missing out on 2nd by just a couple of goal difference, will see how it goes next season but looking good so far

I'm changing tack a little bit.

The tactic i did so well with at Norwich is not firing properly with Chelsea. Unbeaten after 12 games but too many draws against weak teams despite dominating them.

The issue is its creating an awful lot of one on ones, between 6 and 10 a match. I had Eto one on one with a keeper 7 times in match and the keeper saved them all. The next game he got a hatrick then missed a load of chances the next game.

Its great when it works, but its pretty frustrating when it doesnt, we should be smashing teams but the strikers cant finish when they are running in on goal.

So i've moved focus towards a tactic which is based on converting crosses, the conversion rate is far higher from these attacks and a lot less frustrating to watch.

It may end up 442 or 4411 but still testing. think its the right move to make for consistant goal scoring.

Directly behind the F9 then?

No, similar way than in Mr U Rosler's v3. So, F9 on the left and SS on the right.

At the moment it seems that the tactic which works best for my current team (Uniâo Madeira in Portuguese 2nd League) is actually the strikerless version i tweaked from TFF_Cross_v2.

Last match we had 13 shots, 8 towards goal, 6 CCC's and 3 HC's. We won 6-1, so pretty good conversion rate shots/goals.

Have to see how it goes.

I have been rotating the three tactics, so far won all matches.

No, similar way than in Mr U Rosler's v3. So, F9 on the left and SS on the right.

At the moment it seems that the tactic which works best for my current team (Uniâo Madeira in Portuguese 2nd League) is actually the strikerless version i tweaked from TFF_Cross_v2.

Last match we had 13 shots, 8 towards goal, 6 CCC's and 3 HC's. We won 6-1, so pretty good conversion rate shots/goals.

Have to see how it goes.

I have been rotating the three tactics, so far won all matches.

OK Thanks

I would very much like to see a tactic with 3 strikers (or 1 striker and two attacking wingers) and a forwards pointing triangle on the midfield (with two mc's/dm's and 1 amc; like Louis van Gaal's Ajax with Jari Litmanen) or with backwards pointing triangle (with 1 dmc/mc and 2 mc's/amc's; like Bert van Marwijk's The Netherlands team on the last World Cup). Is that possible in your tactic Mr U Rosler?

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I have the slight impression that we are moving away from the tried and tested formation on the basis of fairly little evidence, dont we?

The results may have been below the initial standard but they were not exactly disgraceful either. Now we are talking strikerless, 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 or whatever. Are we sure that we werent just a tweak or two away from paradise when we started? Do we need this total rethink?

Dont get me wrong. The answer may be yes, I just feel like raising this as I feel there was very little data and evidenfe available before we ditched what we had...

Archived