Football Manager Handheld 2014 Official Feedback Thread

Hi there.

I'm playing the android version of the game, but unfortunately i don't get to play the game in "wide" mode, due to my phone screen resolution, i guess.

My home screen looks like this:

t2yu.png

A lot similar to FMH 2013, instead of the "new" one with all that info. Is there any way to change this? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy SII.

Apart from that, and from the fact that i'm not able to play multi league, i'm enjoying the game.

Other thing, i'm having the same problem as vegasx, with the "bidding wars", it's infinite. I'm playing with FC Porto, i made a offer for Álvarez Balanta, Liverpool joined the bidding, making the same offer as me, and it's now more than a year that my original offer was made. And i get to receive the same news every day, 3/4 times a day. Various transfer windows have passed and no one bought the player...

6a65.png

Thanks

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you spend more time with this. The Tactics Screen is now a single swipe away from the Squad Screen (quicker than the two taps previously required to change view) and it contains all of the old view and sort functionality that was present in the Formation view of the Squad screen. It's possible to sort by any of the views by simply tapping on the column header. Basically what we've done is merged the two screens together and we've pretty much retained all of the functionality from both. Have a bit more of a play with it with this in mind and let me know what you think?

Fair point, after straight 6 hours of play I got this, but still - I would appreciate it if you could consider having the tactics screen to be "locked on" as the main screen. when in hurry playing matches I would usually let the assistant pick the team and I would have a quick overview on his selection. what happens now is the selection is made without the formation view unless u r on the tactics screen - so having it as the main view or to lock it as the main view would be an easier option!

I have a problem and suggestion.

The new layout is fantastic, took a little getting used to though.

Problem:

Solved, I was an idiot.

Suggestion:

Is it possible to give us the option to set default views for teams, like tactics/formation view and in other screens with multiple views?

Regards

Dan

Have you tried changing the view to Detailed on the Player Comparison screen (tap the View button at the bottom of the page)? You'll still have to scroll down but you may prefer that view if you haven't yet seen it as it indicates which is the better player in each attribute a bit more clearly. Good suggestion though.

Thanks for the tip, the detailed view is much nbetter but it highlights an issue with the colour choice. The difference values on the right on my iPhone 4 are hard to differentiate; the light blue and green are too close in tone; perhaps one should be darkened? Regarding my idea perhaps it could be a new view option? Differences only? Also is it possible to the keep the last view choice when using comparison? It's a pain to always have to choose detailed at the moment.

On another note when overwriting a tactic, why is the tactic name not filled out after I select an existing save before I confirm? Plus I might normally expect a warning to say I'm overwriting?

Finally, is it issuable to arrange friendlies? One was cancelled in pre-season and I wanted to arrange a replacement but there's no option?

First impressions of the new FMH are very good as usual, but can/will we have options for extra skins at any point? I'm not as keen on the new skin in FMH 2014, in particular the screens where you can have the players listed by their current and potential abilities in star ratings. In FMH 2013 the stars were really easy to see because of the blue background, but now the background alternates between grey and white, making the yellow stars quite hard to see. I know that the star ratings are all based on the views of the assistant manager, and I know that he can be quite wrong about players sometimes (which I like because it's realistic), but it still helps to give a bit of an overview of what talent you have. in what positions.

Speaking of the assistant manager...would there be any scope in future to allow the player to use some of his transfer budget to invest in better backroom staff i.e. assistant manager, coaches, and scouts?

Guys, very good game as always, but I have some points. First, about transfers:

1. When a club wants to loan one of my players, I can´t negotiate terms of the offer. I always receive proposals, for example, to keep playing the salaries of my players loaned out. And I can´t even ask the other club to pay something for it.

2. Maybe I just didn´t find the option: when I negotiate a contract, I can´t propose some clauses, like assistance or goals clause. Where is this option?

3. Although there´s a option to include own players in a transfer, it seems the other clubs just don´t accept a player I offer. They always keep asking for more money, even if I propose a total amount which includes a player and the rest of the value asked by the club.

Regards

Marc and co.... Long time lurker, first time poster.

Love the game, I almost wish I lived further away from work so the train to and from would allow me a little extra time to play :lol:. Played the last few versions and have enjoyed the improvements and extra features each game, it looks as though this one as really taken a big step!

I haven't had this very long so I am still very much getting used to it. I love the challenge of taking a team from non-league as far as I can. One thing that annoyed me a little in FM 13 was taking Boston Utd into the premier league in all but one successive seasons, before being sacked for not getting them a champions league spot :lol:! Though it was fun to then play with Sheffield UTd a little, Real Madrid and then taking another team from non-league to premier league.

Anyway, just thgouht I would drop in and say I appreciate all the work and effort that goes into this game and I realy enjoy it!

Only slight annoyance so far, like others have said, is the continue button moving to the top right makes no sense for me ( I use Ipad)... Just means the constant moving of my hand up and down has been a little annoying. Though I do think it might just be one of those things that takes a little while to get used to, like some of the other screens, so I will come back to this in a few weeks and see if I am used to it - playing the 30 seasons of FM11 and 12 has got me in the habit of where all the buttons are I think.

Thanks guys!

I think it would be good if there was an option to flag/star your best players so that you can quickly see who you are wanting in your first team.

I am not sure about many other players, but I FMH I tend to be lower league teams to build them up (meaning I don't really know the players that well) and having to keep going into there stats to see how good they are can be a slow process if you are having to do it most games.

I think this would speed the game up a little more. What do you think?

• SI Staff
I think it would be good if there was an option to flag/star your best players so that you can quickly see who you are wanting in your first team.

I am not sure about many other players, but I FMH I tend to be lower league teams to build them up (meaning I don't really know the players that well) and having to keep going into there stats to see how good they are can be a slow process if you are having to do it most games.

I think this would speed the game up a little more. What do you think?

I don't think it's a bad idea by any means. What you could do is currently is change the View on the Squad page to 'Detailed' -> 'Coach Report', and then you can then sort that by ability so that you're best players appear near the top. You can also get the ability view on the Tactics screen. Hope that helps somewhat. :thup:

Only slight annoyance so far, like others have said, is the continue button moving to the top right makes no sense for me ( I use Ipad)... Just means the constant moving of my hand up and down has been a little annoying. Though I do think it might just be one of those things that takes a little while to get used to, like some of the other screens, so I will come back to this in a few weeks and see if I am used to it - playing the 30 seasons of FM11 and 12 has got me in the habit of where all the buttons are I think.

I'll just say that I play on my 10" tablet and like the buttons at the top.

• SI Staff
I keep getting "Clubs fight to sign ..." news for players I and other teams have bid on, but the bids have not been accepted. This keeps going on for months (or longer). I can't withdraw my bid or change to end this.

I'm guessing you're playing in Euros? We're aware of an issue relating to this and are currently testing possible fixes. Apologies you've been affected by it for now.

• SI Staff
What the iOS update fixes? Transfer bug is fixed?

Hi - this fixes one of the transfer issues (that was already fixed in original Android release) but there are still some we are trying to clear up. Hope this helps.

This is a minor thing, but I just got a match report that said "Despite relinquishing the majority of the possession to the opposition, Accrington played solidly to keep the margin of defeat down to 1-2 against Birmingham".

I was playing Defensively, and with Men Behind Ball, but I actually had 52% possession over the 90 minutes.

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but although I like the visual revamp on the game, there's one screen that turned out horrible:

DaF3LZ6.png

It's terrible to read! Can this be changed in the future? The previous version was much easier on the eyes:

IIhnrIy.png

Ps.: another small thing: when viewing the players' stats screen in the match view the last table row is slightly cropped... Not a big thing, but would be nice if it looked neater :)

CrhIWLJ.png

Strange transfer bug.

I was trying to get rid of a player so I was offering him part exchange in several deals.

Two were accepted at the same time, I successfully negotiated personal terms with both players, and (forgetting that the same player of mine was involved in both deals) confirmed the transfer of one of the players coming in.

The other player I wanted is now in "limbo" with regards to his transfer future. His "Contract" page says he's agreed a transfer to my club, but I can't confirm or cancel it, nor can I submit another (cash only) bid.

• SI Staff
Strange transfer bug.

I was trying to get rid of a player so I was offering him part exchange in several deals.

Two were accepted at the same time, I successfully negotiated personal terms with both players, and (forgetting that the same player of mine was involved in both deals) confirmed the transfer of one of the players coming in.

The other player I wanted is now in "limbo" with regards to his transfer future. His "Contract" page says he's agreed a transfer to my club, but I can't confirm or cancel it, nor can I submit another (cash only) bid.

Thanks, this is one we're aware of and have under review.

Guys, very good game as always, but I have some points. First, about transfers:

1. When a club wants to loan one of my players, I can´t negotiate terms of the offer. I always receive proposals, for example, to keep playing the salaries of my players loaned out. And I can´t even ask the other club to pay something for it.

2. Maybe I just didn´t find the option: when I negotiate a contract, I can´t propose some clauses, like assistance or goals clause. Where is this option?

3. Although there´s a option to include own players in a transfer, it seems the other clubs just don´t accept a player I offer. They always keep asking for more money, even if I propose a total amount which includes a player and the rest of the value asked by the club.

Regards

Guys, any answer? I think my questions got lost in the middle of the forum...

You are right, this should be an option.

This isn't an option. They are automatically added (look at the contract of a striker you have signed, he will have a goal bonus, look at a goalie you have signed, he will have a clean sheet bonus). I don't think it actually affects your finances at all, though. They are such small amounts, compared to the size of your wage/transfer budget.

I have successfully traded players in this way, clubs do accept these deals. On my game, anyway (Android).

I'm really having to adapt my tyried and tested formations from last years game.

Last season

GK

WB BPD BPD WB

BWM BWM

IF APM IF

CMF

Attacking

Short Passing

Commited tackling

with Pressing & Offside Trap set to "yes" and Counter Attacking & Men Behind Ball to "no

Tried this with the new game and could only finish 3rd with City in the Prem.

started the second season and have lost 6 of my first 10 games :)

Great that you are being asked to think on your feet and reinvent tactics etc - bit frustrating though !!

Have now switched the APM to a TREQ and one of the BWM now plays deeper in front of the defence with the other now changed to a CM. Both IFs are now Wingers

Tactic setting changed to

- Balanced

- Short

- Committed

Pressing - No

Offside - Yes

Counter Attacking - Yes

Men Behind Ball - No

Seems to be working better .. so far.

The only odd thing was that when I was losing I was having 15-20 shots of which 75% were on target .. the oppositions keeper was invariably their MOTM ... bad luck I guess :)

I think that in reality a manager would not simply have one tactic that they would use for every game no matter what the opposition so I'm happy to see that variation is now required .. well it is for me anyway !!

Keep up the good work Marc & gang :)

This is by far the best edition of FMH so far. Huge improvement since 2012. The only extra feature I would like to see is live draws for cups and competitions . I believe that it is not hard to be implemented . Some bugs will be fixed with future updates and will make the game perfect

I got some comment about this game :

1. same problem with Mr. Vegasx at post #68, the bug " Club Fight To Sign.. " are very annoying. first time Itachi dissapear at the end of transfer window, but now this always pop up in message every day even the transfer window are closed.

2. I am searching the very suitable player value dan skill for my team, but when I find it then bid it, suddenly other club with higher reputation come to bid at the some time with higher bid. my team keep lose to buy player when it happen and keep repeadly when I bid for other player then suddenly other club come with better bid. in FM pc, it was simply to hide our team bid by shortlist delist the player then our bid will be private so our chance to buy this player grow higher.

3. I think the value from seller club want is very unrealistic. some club want the value for more than € 100 million. Than the club like mancherster city buy 2 player for more than € 100 million. I think it very unrealistic too. maybe it will fantastic if there is show every club financial report and the club transfer budget so we will not surprise anymore if 1 club buy 2 player or more for € 300 million.

4. Why can you give feature optional if player suggest new contract then manager can say : you can stay here with your current contract or go out for the better?

sory, bad english :D

This is by far the best edition of FMH so far. Huge improvement since 2012. The only extra feature I would like to see is live draws for cups and competitions . I believe that it is not hard to be implemented . Some bugs will be fixed with future updates and will make the game perfect

If this is ever implemented, please make it optional.

Live draws are boring enough in real life, I don't want to have to sit through them on the game as well...

If this is ever implemented, please make it optional.

Live draws are boring enough in real life, I don't want to have to sit through them on the game as well...

I disagree. Live cup draws are really exciting - both in real life and in Football Manager. I recently downloaded the demo of FM14 for PC and felt a real rush of excitement when the club I was managing - Dorchester (Skrill South), made it to the first round of the FA Cup. I couldn't wait for the live draw. It adds to the drama. Dorchester were drawn away to Tranmere which was a real plum tie for us. Ok so we got beat 9-1 in the game but still, it added to the realism and fun of the game.

A lot of people have been calling for live cup draws in FMH and I would love to see this too. Whether it is easy to implement, I don't know. With regards to your concerns, it might be possible to have the draws just like the PC version where you have the choice of watching the draw live or having all the teams drawn instantly.

I have been playing since Championship Manager 3, quite a while ago, I only tested FM handheld on PSP a few years ago but wasn't convinced at all, got the Iphone5 last year and decided to give it a try again this year...an excellent decision so far ! quick, simple and clear ! I have the game on PC but I must say that with the number of years the game has become so complex that I need a few days to start a new season on PC (shortlist all potential players, hiring staff, set up training etc...), whilst the handheld version is obviously simpler due to some technical limitations but I love it ! Sometimes less is more :lol:

Only thing I have noticed is how fast the battery is falling when I play the game...it's straight ridiculous...like 1h and the all iphone is dead....:eek:

• SI Staff

stlopes, I believe there's been one other report about this in the Android bugs forum, which skin is your device running on? You can see this by going to the Credits page and it'll be in the title bar after the version number.

• SI Staff
Only thing I have noticed is how fast the battery is falling when I play the game...it's straight ridiculous...like 1h and the all iphone is dead....:eek:

You shouldn't be finding that much drain at all with the game - my iPhone5 I play for up to 2 hours after I retreat to bed in the evenings (I normally start with the thought of 'just a few matches to unwind before I sleep and then find myself playing at 1am ;) ) and it barely drains any battery at all (say 10-20% maximum) during that time.

Out of interest how is your battery behaving outside of the game? - ie. how often do you have to charge your phone etc.?

stlopes, I believe there's been one other report about this in the Android bugs forum, which skin is your device running on? You can see this by going to the Credits page and it'll be in the title bar after the version number.

My device is using the version 5.0.2 (WVGA).

Thank you!

I was playing this morning and was having a think about player contracts. I nearly always play as a 'small' team, starting from the bottom and working up. Is there a way of looking at players contracts as an overview, seeing those who have big club release clauses without going into each players contract?

I nearly always get caught out at least once as I build big reserves full of young talent to work as a selling club until I'm big enough!

Loving the game so far but one thing that is annoying me is the amount of goals from corners. Seems to be at least one every other game when in reality, that's nowhere near realistic.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

Regarding corners, I think the real life average over a season is about 1 goal from a corner in every 3 games.

However, Man United's Prem matches last season had even more than 1 corner goal every 2 games.

In a smaller sample of matches, or with certain teams, the frequency can be much higher or lower. So the ratio that you are seeing doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

It really depends on the teams and how they are set up.

• SI Staff
Really enjoying the game.One problem though is that ive just had a man sent off for 2 yellows and I could appeal at the end of the match. Afaik you cant appeal a red card for 2 yellows

We're aware of this, unfortunately it's currently not supported - we have a request in to do so at some point.

Glad you're enjoying the game!

Regarding corners, I think the real life average over a season is about 1 goal from a corner in every 3 games.

However, Man United's Prem matches last season had even more than 1 corner goal every 2 games.

In a smaller sample of matches, or with certain teams, the frequency can be much higher or lower. So the ratio that you are seeing doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

It really depends on the teams and how they are set up.

One in three does seem like a pretty high average. Maybe it's just my team but I rarely see goals from corners in real life. I'd say I'm experiencing about one in every two games at the moment on FM.

In terms of 'how they are set up', how exactly can you combat corner goals? It's not like PC FM where you can edit your corner options and have more men back etc. Is there something specific that affects the amount of goals?

I've only been playing for like 30 minutes, so it might be unfair of me to write in this thread already. However ... I have to say, I don't really see that much improvement from the 2012-edition. The menus, fonts and buttons have all become so small it's straining on my eyes. The new interface probably looks amazing on a tablet, but not so much on a 4.3" phone.

And in the actual matches, I can still see

- the meaningless long shots from my own half (sure, it might be that the player actually took a shot on goal from there, but I don't think Premier League players would DO that..?),

- the text saying "takes a shot from close range" while the player "dot" is placed well outside the box

- the goalkeeper giving a rebound to a striker completely on his own, but there's no goal scored and the highlight ends so I don't get to see the shot either

I feel bad for writing this. Sorry guys ..

You shouldn't be finding that much drain at all with the game - my iPhone5 I play for up to 2 hours after I retreat to bed in the evenings (I normally start with the thought of 'just a few matches to unwind before I sleep and then find myself playing at 1am ;) ) and it barely drains any battery at all (say 10-20% maximum) during that time.

Out of interest how is your battery behaving outside of the game? - ie. how often do you have to charge your phone etc.?

The game was working fine, my brain was not...a few other applications were actually the cause of the drain on the battery, I have played 40mn this morning and it was fine. You were right and I was wrong ;-)

Thanks,

The game was working fine, my brain was not...a few other applications were actually the cause of the drain on the battery, I have played 40mn this morning and it was fine. You were right and I was wrong ;-)

Thanks,

Yeah that's one of things I really like about FMH, it hardly drains battery power at all. I could play FMH and have my mp3 player running, and play for hours on end if I wanted to :)

• SI Staff

Thanks for letting me know - over the years I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to minimise battery drain on FMH so I was a tad concerned when you posted.

Hi Marc, the game is great, but i would like a better match engine, i explain you my problem.

I play commentary mode only (i don't like 2D in fmh) and i read only single sentence to imagine action in the pitch. Sometimes i can't understand where is the ball or action in the pitch. Can you insert a small radar to follow action?

I have this feature in other manager game on ipad and iPhone (karza manager) and this is very good but in fmh could be fantastic!!!!!!

Will be nice to have your opinion?

When team kits in fmh?

Marc and co.... Long time lurker, first time poster.

Love the game, I almost wish I lived further away from work so the train to and from would allow me a little extra time to play :lol:. Played the last few versions and have enjoyed the improvements and extra features each game, it looks as though this one as really taken a big step!

Thanks guys!

Like I said, after playing it further, I am much more used to the buttons and can see the value in them being where they are now, just changed my hand positions is all haha :).

Loving it guys, thanks again.

Seems to be a little harder this year in the very bottom leagues, normally could always pick up a few decent signings for free through no agents or expired contracts but struggling to get any decent ones. Won the Skrill Noth division with my club, but need to add some decent players for this season! Enjoying the challenge.

• SI Staff

Hi everyone - just to let you know version 5.0.3 has been rolled out for Android, this should fix most of the issues people have been experiencing with transfer auctions, particularly in non-GBP currencies. Will update you as to when this is likely to go live on iOS.

Good game. Definite improvement on the year before. Well done.

Couple of quick questions though:

1) Is there still no way to delete a saved game without having to hook my iphone up to my laptop? Seems odd, but maybe I've missed something.

2) Any chance of adding a position filter on the squad page, so when picking my team I can, for example, filter down to players for a particular position. You've had it on the PC version for years, but it's still needed on the handheld.

Thanks

• SI Staff
Good game. Definite improvement on the year before. Well done.

Couple of quick questions though:

1) Is there still no way to delete a saved game without having to hook my iphone up to my laptop? Seems odd, but maybe I've missed something.

2) Any chance of adding a position filter on the squad page, so when picking my team I can, for example, filter down to players for a particular position. You've had it on the PC version for years, but it's still needed on the handheld.

Thanks

Thanks - glad you're enjoying it! :)

About your first question - you can just save over it on the save game page? Unless you're really tight for space I'm not sure how being able to delete files would be much of an advantage over this.

With regards to filters - it's something we'll have a think about. Not very many people have asked for this and the currently existing filters don't seem to be particularly widely used but at least we can discuss it...

Archived