Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Well, nothing major, but my strikers should be scoring much more than they do. I do agree with him though, there is a fairly big gap between the strikers and the midfield, and it's easy to see that the supply isn't getting anywhere.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I've been training my player Marko Marin using SFrasers guidelines. He was once 'Either' footed but some reason he has become right footed :S How did that happen and how do I get him back to either?

That's nothing whatsoever to do with training. It's to do with where he's playing and I guess he has been playing on the right wing and got better with his right or worse with his left.

When training a player to a new position can they become a natural in that position or is accomplished the highest they can reach?

Yes, a player can become a natural in a position by being trained for it, and by being played in that position as much as possible. However, whether he remains a natural in that new position, depends on his adaptability stat, which is hidden.

Yes, a player can become a natural in a position by being trained for it, and by being played in that position as much as possible. However, whether he remains a natural in that new position, depends on his adaptability stat, which is hidden.

Versatility, not adaptability.

In game sccout report will mention living in different countries => adaptability

In game scout might mention if he is a versatile player

Open to correction but it only kicks in if you remove the new position training.

hi guys, stupid question 1 and 2 from me!

I want to use a training schedule i just seen in this forum but i have no idea where to put it after downloading it!

Also the same goes with tactics.

I haven't played football manager since 08 and totally forget where everything goes, any help would be greatly appreciated.

quick stupid question

when i download sfrasers training schedules do i click save file or open it with something? and then where do i put it? do i copy it into a schedules folder i made?

thank you

Check the Forum Rules, FAQ's and Important links sticky.

Forum Rules, FAQ's and Important Link's Thread - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING :)

Will explain everything.

Versatility, not adaptability.

In game sccout report will mention living in different countries => adaptability

In game scout might mention if he is a versatile player

Open to correction but it only kicks in if you remove the new position training.

Can't believe I got those two confused. Thanks for correcting me :)

IS there no longer the option to see players stats while the game is in play?

Like passes, tackles, assists etc? I cant see it anywhere.

Try the "Stats" tab

statstab.png

Then select either Home or Away stats, and you'll see all the passes, tackles, assists, etc.

IS there no longer the option to see players stats while the game is in play?

Like passes, tackles, assists etc? I cant see it anywhere.

No, just the match stats with with overall team statistics, such as possession, etc.

All you can see if selected, is to see the player ratings.

Thank you DirtyACE, quality answer. Yeah i meant the one you pointed out so i can see passes, passes completed and assist etc.

Another one though, i cant seem to find my shortlist, in older games i could click shortlist and it would show me all the players i've bid for, scouted and all players i've added to the shortlist etc! I'm thinking its not there but hopefully its just hiding from me like the stats.

<Manager Name> tab ----> "Search" -----> "Shortlists"

Don't forget, you can also save different shortlists if you want to, when you add players to them.

It seems so simple when someone shows you lol, thanks Heath

EDIT - You would of thought when i went to my transfer centre it would be in there somewhere, maybe thats just too easy!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the effect of a player's position rating, i.e "natural," "accomplished" etc? Does it really come down to his attributes, or if he has the right attributes for a position, but is not natural there, will he not play as well? For example, will Pirlo not play as well as a central midfielder as he does as a defensive midfielder as he is only "accomplished" at the former? Is there a thread on this?

does team mentality creativity and other settings matter if you change each one induvidually for each player ?

Nope. Individually set instructions override team ones. Ticking the boxes and setting manually also overrides the impact of using shouts on the settings.

what does mentality actualy do, does it help with positions players ?

Yes but in a basic 442 it differs between positions.

- strikers mentality brings them back when you lose possession

- Higher RFD will bring them back up the pitch more aggressively but even mentality 1 RFD rare striker will make his way up top

- MCs tie in to RFD setting more. There is possibly a minor effect on positioning particularly with regards to how they react to changes in possession but by and large RFD matters more. So two MCs set to 1 and 20, both RFD Often will find themselves basically in a line. The RFD setting will impact on their movement relative to where you have possession in an obvious manner. The lower mentality midfielder with RFD often might be more willing to drop back to show but I'm not 100% certain

- higher mentality wingers will on average occupy a position further up the pitch as will FBs

- CBs push towards the halfway line as the ball gets towards the opposition goal regardless of mentality. Mentality will affect how they react to transitions, so a higher mentality will tend to push out more aggressively when the ball gets moved forward or drop off less. But there is not a massive difference between 1 and 20, so a difference of 4 or 5 clicks won't have a huge impact on positioning

All just my theories. Test it out for yourself by looking at the 2D.

what attributes(including hidden) make player effective in roaming?

I want to set my AMC in free role in 4-2-3-1(wide) while wingers will play wide and my striker will play relatively deep. move into channels is also something I want him to do so some information about attributes for this setting will be good to :)

thanks in advance

1) How long does it take for a player to retrain to a new positon? For example say my player is natural but I want to retrain him to another position which he is 'Accomplished', how long will it take for this to be successful and do I need to play him in that new position the whole time he is learing?

2) How long does it take for a player to successfully learn a new 'PPM'?

what attributes(including hidden) make player effective in roaming?

I want to set my AMC in free role in 4-2-3-1(wide) while wingers will play wide and my striker will play relatively deep. move into channels is also something I want him to do so some information about attributes for this setting will be good to :)

thanks in advance

I would say creativity, flair, decisions, off the ball, anticipation, and perhaps team work. However, there's a hidden stat also that is used. In the past it was called "free role", but now I imagine it's called roaming. Usually, AMC, FC, or AMC/FC type players will have best chances of being good roamers.

Anyone now how i set a player to tutor a youngster? can't seem to find it. And whats PPM? i hear people talking about it.

I used the search but it never finds what i want, thanks.

Tutoring:

Right click on the player you want to be tutored, a menu will open up. Select Interaction, then select Interact with Player. Screen shot below:

tutoring1.png

Then you'll be taken to a new menu, like the one below:

tutoring2.png

Keep in mind, it is the youngster that you have to tell to be tutored, not the actual tutor.

PPM is Player Preferred Move. You can ask a player to learn one of these, the same way you ask him to learn from a tutor. Go to player interaction, and there should a list of PPMs on the bottom of the screen.

1) How long does it take for a player to retrain to a new positon? For example say my player is natural but I want to retrain him to another position which he is 'Accomplished', how long will it take for this to be successful and do I need to play him in that new position the whole time he is learing?

2) How long does it take for a player to successfully learn a new 'PPM'?

1) Really depends on the player's versatility. Some can learn a new position very quickly, while others can take up to a year.

2) In my experience, it usually takes 5 or 6 months for a player to learn a PPM.

1. Is it important to have coaches who have a big reputation to allow big players to come to your club? What other factors are important? Most of the bargain players I find don't want to come to me. Some even "laugh me off"! I am managing Portsmouth in the second season. I won the League 2 in my first season and was offered a job by Portsmouth straight away.

Club rep: 6384

Home rep: 6707

Current Rep: 6707

World rep: 3321

2. Also, which is the correct order of reputations:

local < regional < national < continental

OR

local < national < regional < continental

3. Also, apart from the coaching attributes, what mental traits are needed to get a higher coaching rating? AFAIK, it is determination, discipline and motivation.

It's a really stupid question but i'm new at this so excuse my stupidity :)

Is there a way to increase the potential of a player? for example one player's dribbling point is 2, can i increase it by training or other way?

Thanks for your attention

This looks like the correct thread for my question.

When the Barcelona defenders have the ball and they try to set up a new attack:

the backs push up, the central defenders go wide and the most defensive midfielder tends to fall a bit back (to ask to ball).

How on earth can you manage this in a tactic?

Managing Portsmouth in the EPL, I like to use different formations and tactics when playing home and away and also differently against normal opponents and stronger ones (MAnU, Chelsea, ManC, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Aston Villa perhaps). My team have developed a good understanding, although a few players are having some problem blending in.

Would these frequent formation/tactic changes which also include a couple of player swaps affect my team's ability to play as a team? Should I stick to one formation/tactic instead?

I need a good 4-2-3-1 formation for liverpool

With Gerrard, Joe Cole and hopefully Ozil behind Torres

There are plenty of threads about the 4231... take a read, apply to your club & players as appropriate. Requesting tactics for specific teams often doesn't yield a lot of results on this forum, I've found.

It's a really stupid question but i'm new at this so excuse my stupidity :)

Is there a way to increase the potential of a player? for example one player's dribbling point is 2, can i increase it by training or other way?

Thanks for your attention

Overall "Potential Ability" or PA has a fixed limit, which governs the overall total ability distribution.

Playing in matches tends to achieve more than training for growth in ability, but that's not to say that training is of lesser importance. You can try to mould the attributes more, but it's quite detailed to explain specifics here. Try looking at:

SFraser's Training Schedules for FM10 - A lot of reading, but also some great detail.

Rekluse's 2010 Training Schedules By Position - Some position and role specific schedules.

Likelihood is though, someone with only 2 for dribbling, isn't going to develop that attribute a great deal. May actually be better to look at other players if you need dribbling in the role you're filling, or adapt the role to suit the player, using his stronger attributes.

This looks like the correct thread for my question.

When the Barcelona defenders have the ball and they try to set up a new attack:

the backs push up, the central defenders go wide and the most defensive midfielder tends to fall a bit back (to ask to ball).

How on earth can you manage this in a tactic?

Hmm, quite a tricky one and may depend on the overall formation and system you're using.

There's no lateral instructions you can give to your central defenders in FM10, but you can instruct the team to play wider. With a really deep defensive midfielder and/or a deep lying playmaker who drops deep centrally, you can sometimes see the central defenders push out a little wider. All will need to be of a similar mentality and it might be worth using a ball playing defender if you have one that suits the role.

Managing Portsmouth in the EPL, I like to use different formations and tactics when playing home and away and also differently against normal opponents and stronger ones (MAnU, Chelsea, ManC, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Aston Villa perhaps). My team have developed a good understanding, although a few players are having some problem blending in.

Would these frequent formation/tactic changes which also include a couple of player swaps affect my team's ability to play as a team? Should I stick to one formation/tactic instead?

Personally, I've always preferred to stick with the same core formation and tactical settings, but build in some flexibility with things like roles, passing and tempo. I also tend to prefer managing a small squad, but one that's able to comfortably cover all but the very worst injury crisis.

Also important for me, is having players of similar personalities. Similar personalities tend to "get on" much better and very rarely fall our with one another. I believe this also helps speed up the gelling process.

I need a good 4-2-3-1 formation for liverpool

With Gerrard, Joe Cole and hopefully Ozil behind Torres

My simple answer to this, is...

...Tactics Creator. :)

I'm using a simple 4-2-3-1 made with the TC. It features:

GK - Defend

LB - Defend

RB - Defend

DC - Central Defender & Stopper, Defend

DC - Central Defender & Cover, Defend

MC - (Either of) MC, Defend or Ball Winning Midfielder, Defend

MC - Deep Lying Playmaker, set to Defend or Support

AMC(left) - Inside Forward (Support or Attack)*

AMC(right) - Inside Forward (Support or Attack)*

AMC(central) - Attacking Midfielder, Attack

FC - Complete Forward**

*Ozil and Cole should suit the inside forward roles, but you can also try them as advanced playmakers if you want them to create more, than cut inside to look for chances.

**Torres is pretty much ideally suited to this role. If you want him to stick to the centre more, try to reduce his roaming.

1. Is it important to have coaches who have a big reputation to allow big players to come to your club? What other factors are important? Most of the bargain players I find don't want to come to me. Some even "laugh me off"! I am managing Portsmouth in the second season. I won the League 2 in my first season and was offered a job by Portsmouth straight away.

Club rep: 6384

Home rep: 6707

Current Rep: 6707

World rep: 3321

2. Also, which is the correct order of reputations:

local < regional < national < continental

OR

local < national < regional < continental

3. Also, apart from the coaching attributes, what mental traits are needed to get a higher coaching rating? AFAIK, it is determination, discipline and motivation.

1. It doesn't matter what reputation your coaches have. What matters is the club's reputation, the league reputation, and your own reputation as a manager.

2. local < regional < national < continental is the correct one.

3. Coaches need to have determination, level of discipline, and motivating, aside from their coaching attributes.

@DirtyACE - where I can find this hidden attribute in Genie Scout?

Have no idea. I don't use programs like Genie Scout.

This is going to sound really stupid, but what does it mean when my Assistant Manager (High determination, motivation and tactical knowledge 19 plus 100% club player knowledge) constantly keeps saying that:

-My short passing is appalling

-Most of my long passes are connecting.

Does it simply mean that I need to try a more direct passing approach or something else? I am playing a 3-4-1-2 with a good poacher (averaging more than a goal a game as Portsmouth). If he gets a near the goal, he scores.

1. It doesn't matter what reputation your coaches have. What matters is the club's reputation, the league reputation, and your own reputation as a manager.

2. local < regional < national < continental is the correct one.

3. Coaches need to have determination, level of discipline, and motivating, aside from their coaching attributes.

Have no idea. I don't use programs like Genie Scout.

Thanks for your reply :)