FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

FML, so much inspiration in this thread, just need to get my head and plans together and start a god damn save with the mighty Gunners!!!

Haven't played FM since 09/10 so its a bit hard to get back into but hopefully I find my feet soon and get started! :)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can anyone recommend me a left winger , I have gervinho still but want to add some depth to the wings , I will be using Walcott and the ox on the right.

I have plenty in the bank so I don't mind spending close to 20m if its someone who is better than gervinho or has potential to be?

cheers

can anyone recommend me a left winger , I have gervinho still but want to add some depth to the wings , I will be using Walcott and the ox on the right.

I have plenty in the bank so I don't mind spending close to 20m if its someone who is better than gervinho or has potential to be?

cheers

Tello of Barcelona, however he is just like the ox and can play on either, natural on the right and accomplished on the left.

That's a stupendously good deal for Marc-André ter Stegen there. I've found that he is one of the best 'keeper in the game. Not too sure as to why you need René Adler too, but on a free transfer, I'm sure you could easily move him on for a healthy profit.

Now just a decision between Szczesny & ter Stegen I'm guessing?

Yeah, I offered about £15M for him at first and it got accepted, didn't agree personal terms with him as he wanted too much. A few weeks later in my news box he gets offered to me for £3.2M! Lovely :)

And I added Adler for some depth as I sold Fabianski so only had two keepers. Unfortunately, Szczesny has been in terrible form in my first season so does not feature in my plans anymore! ter Stegen also had a poor start so I dropped him and now have Adler performing the best out of the three! Weird, right?

Hey guys still kinda new here, I'm in my second season with arsenal and pat rice decides to retire and I was wondering who would u guys recommend as a new assistant manger?

I hired Giuseppe Pondrelli from Napoli to be my assistant manager :)

Hey guys still kinda new here, I'm in my second season with arsenal and pat rice decides to retire and I was wondering who would u guys recommend as a new assistant manger?

On my previous save before new patch i promoted Keown from my head scout to Assistant Manager :) and will no doubt do so this time around

I was going to promote Steve Bould but as I offered him a contract not too long ago he didn't want to renew his deal so I went for Steve Clarke Liverpools number 2

Suggy33 you are a plank for not having a reserve keeper - never let it happen again!
#

I know :(

Finished 3rd in the league with just the Carling Cup to my name, so some transfer activity was required.

a7d14d6d67abf18d209e2ca5910987c0.png?1332018172

ahh ok guys thanks, i was also wondering does language play a huge part in picking a new AM, i found ac milans AM to have some very good status but he does not speak english.

I generally use someone who speaks the Native language due to my own preference but whether it makes any difference to his performance i have no idea

So, with 7 games to go in the Premiership, I had a 1 point lead going into a match at home to Fulham.

Surely I would get it back up to 4?

arsenalvfulhamsplitview.jpg

What a ridiculously harsh match. I got through 3 wingers in the course of 90 minutes, with RvP and Hazard already out injured. And the stats do not tell the full story, quite how I only had 1 CCC when Cavani and Wilshere each missed 2 1-on-1's, I have no idea.

The lead is now 2 points, with 6 games to go. I believe someone once called it 'squeaky bum time'.

I am far too nervous for a daft computer game!!

Hey llama3,

I am not currently in a save with Arsenal although after reading some of the posts in this thread, I want to start one in the near future. Seems like a friendly helpful bunch of people :D

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I have used your tactical advice from the OP for my Manchester United side (adjusted a little to suit United) and I am loving the football played so thanks alot :)

Who knew keeping the default roles/duties assigned by the TC would work so well ;)

Regards

Shiraz

It's a quiet day in the Arsenal thread! :D Anyway, I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice on this;

alycissokhooffer.png

With Olympique Lyonnais lying in a despondent 13th place in Ligue 1, Aly Cissokho has stated his unhappiness at playing for a team which are underachieving. Now, Kieran Gibbs and André Santos have been great this season. With neither earning themselves a regular first-team position because they've been just as good as eachother. Should I move for Cissokho for a measly £7 million, or should I stick with my current left-back duo?

At the moment, I'm edging towards rejecting the chance to sign Aly Cissokho...

I cannot believe this just happened, was totally gobsmacked. TV5 with a 3.6?! 6-0 is embarrassing, my worst ever result on any FM or CM over the years :thdn:

City6Me0.png

Bearing in mind my results had been pretty good up until this game..

AFCFixtures.png

Tough first few league games, Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H) & Man Utd (A) but was chuffed with how my season was going so far. Made some good signings and morale, confidence was good.

Has anyone had a shock result like this before with Arsenal?

I had private chats with all the worst offenders and hopefully it will have a difference as they were all pleased with what & how I said it (aggressive is the way haha)

hi guys just started an arsenal save and played my first pre season game and van persie gets injured for 6 months :(. Can any of you suggest a good replacement. i'm playing a 41221 formation. thanks for the help :thup:

Damiao, Cavani or Hulk I would say

I cannot believe this just happened, was totally gobsmacked. TV5 with a 3.6?! 6-0 is embarrassing, my worst ever result on any FM or CM over the years :thdn:

City6Me0.png

Bearing in mind my results had been pretty good up until this game..

AFCFixtures.png

Tough first few league games, Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H) & Man Utd (A) but was chuffed with how my season was going so far. Made some good signings and morale, confidence was good.

Has anyone had a shock result like this before with Arsenal?

I had private chats with all the worst offenders and hopefully it will have a difference as they were all pleased with what & how I said it (aggressive is the way haha)

I've had worse, got destroyed by an out of form Liverpool, beaten 6-0. Marseille also exploited Mertesacker and his granddad speed by putting 5 past me, both were last season however, I've managed to not be caught out like that so far. In my other long term save Man Utd put 7 past me I think, buit I scored 3 so it wasn't all bad. *touch wood* Got Man City league leaders next, then Barcelona in the QF. If I get destroyed, I'm blaming you!

In future sub off anybody with that low a rating, Song cost me the match against Barcelona last season, had a 3.2 15 minutes in, took him and somebody else off and managed to hold the score at that

I've had worse, got destroyed by an out of form Liverpool, beaten 6-0. Marseille also exploited Mertesacker and his granddad speed by putting 5 past me, both were last season however, I've managed to not be caught out like that so far. In my other long term save Man Utd put 7 past me I think, buit I scored 3 so it wasn't all bad. *touch wood* Got Man City league leaders next, then Barcelona in the QF. If I get destroyed, I'm blaming you!

In future sub off anybody with that low a rating, Song cost me the match against Barcelona last season, had a 3.2 15 minutes in, took him and somebody else off and managed to hold the score at that

Yeah man, I know, I convinced myself that they might turn it round even after being 4-0 down at half time. IF this happens again I'll definitely be making early substitutions!

Good luck against City & Barca.

PS. Luckily my next game is against Bristol Rovers away in the Carling Cup, not a bad one to turn things around. Made 9 changes and 2-0 up at half time. Phewee (so far)

Has anyone had any of the youngster break into the first team, Aneke & maybe Afobe look the most promising but has anyone broke into your first teams if so who?

Aneke looks class! I think he'll break into the team in around 2-3 years on the game. Coquelin and Jenkinson have broken into the team as back-up for me.

introductiong.png

OCTOBER - MONTHLY UPDATE;

With the season in full swing and games coming thick and fast, this period tested our resolve as well as our fitness. We began the month loosely and that set the tone for large parts of the month. Here's what happened.

OCTOBER - FIXTURES & RESULTS;

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 2 (Gervinho '15, Walcott '49)

United - 3 (Nani '9, Hernández '62, Koscielny OG '81)

We began the game well, despite losing a goal to the mercurial talent that is Luís Nani, but we dominated proceedings with a great sense of certainty. Gervinho bagged a deserved goal, which made it all square again, before Walcott slotted home just after the interval to make it 2-1. With us stepping off the throttle somewhat, that man 'Chicha' scored a poacher's effort. Laurent Koscielny, who's been our best defender this season, deflected the ball into our own goal and, ultimately, losing us the game. We deserved a win, at least!

Barclays Premier League;

Arsenal - 1 (Gervinho '35)

Newcastle - 1 (Williamson '73)

With Gervinho continuing his fine goalscoring form, and Tomas Rosicky at his creative best, the obvious threats were there for us to hurt the Geordie side, but we failed to take advantage on our good form. Gervinho rounded Tim Krul to finish off a fine move, all due to a lovely reverse ball from Rosicky. Then, after squandering many a chance, we gave away a corner which N'castle profited from; Williamson smashing it in from all of 2-yards. Disappointing and annoying result.

UEFA Champions League | Group Stage;

Leverkusen - 2 (Schürrle '39, '84)

Arsenal - 1 (Gervinho '57)

I decided to experiment somewhat with my tactical set-up, lining up with a 4-5-1 formation with Francis Coquelin holding the midfield. As you can probably guess, this 'experiment' didn't come off. We were all over the shape, and were exploited by the pace and clever movement from Germany's André Schürrle. Yet again, Gervinho scored another goal in the absence of Theo Walcott, but it wasn't to be.

Barclays Premier League;

Chelsea - 5 (Lampard '26, pen '42, Malouda '31, Mata '44, Drogba '71)

Arsenal - 0

Terrible performance. Fatigue, as well as injuries and a lack of experience, began to catch up on us and we ultimately paid for it. Chelsea made every frailty of our line-up look 100-times worse. We gave away far too much space for the likes of Mata, Sturridge and Malouda to move into and we relinquished possession far too easily. If we are to finish at least fourth, massive improvement is needed!

Carling Cup | Fourth Round;

QPR - 0

Arsenal - 2 (Koscielny '80, van Persie '88)

This was always going to be a tough game after such a bad performance three days earlier. QPR, who sit 6th in the BPL table, managed to keep us at bay for all of 80 minutes before Laurent Koscielny nodded one in. With a distinct lack of domination, I was impressed with our ability to open up the defence, Benayoun and RVP were the vocal points of our attacking creativity. Good win, happy with it.

Barclays Premier League;

Fulham - 0

Arsenal - 2 (van Persie '33, '72)

The real Robin van Persie has well and truly returned. After a fine goal against QPR, he clinched an impressive brace this time. Overall, the performance was a good one at Craven Cottage. This was a good side we faced, Clint Dempsey, Bryan Ruíz and Moussa Dembélé but a few players who started the match, but Tomas Rosicky was the difference between the two teams. More of the same, but with more possession and control!

bpltableoctober.png

Barclays Premier League table; October 5th

ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD?

Tomas Rosicky's new contract - Due to his recent form and performances, I've decided to take up the option of extending the Czech captain's contract by a further two years. As you can probably see for the screenshot, he's made seven goals for fellow team-mates in seven matches. He's fully grasped his position in the absence of Aaron Ramsey, who picked up a ruptured latro-metatarsal while on international duty.

tomasrosickynewcontract.png

The Future - Jon Toral Harper - Here's another one of my youth players that I want to nurture into first-team, Jon Toral Harper. After signing from Barcelona in the Summer, the dual nationality playmaker has impressed in a regular role within my U-18's team, alongside the likes of Kyle Ebecilio, Serge Gnabry and Martin Angha.

jontoral.png

As you can see, he's developed well. At the moment, he isn't on a created training schedule as he's still regarded as a youth player, but once he turns 17 I will take up the option to sign him on professionally and look to develop him into a good playmaker. Looking forward to it.

COYG!

He is lethal for me. My screenie is on page 21 / 22 i think. Just play him as poacher. Train him on finishing and give him time. I had 3 games with no goals . ( i kept him on even when he had stinkers. ) then played him vs. liverpool and he scored 4!!!! The player next to him up front is key - trequestaria - i have niang or van persie and it is goals goals goals for me.

Hey llama3,

I am not currently in a save with Arsenal although after reading some of the posts in this thread, I want to start one in the near future. Seems like a friendly helpful bunch of people :D

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I have used your tactical advice from the OP for my Manchester United side (adjusted a little to suit United) and I am loving the football played so thanks alot :)

Who knew keeping the default roles/duties assigned by the TC would work so well ;)

Regards

Shiraz

no worries mate, glad to hear it works for others too - keeps a great balance in the team

Season Update 2011/12 - January 2012

PRM - Fulham 2-1 Arsenal - Koscielny

A poor game, and we struggled to create chances against a ruthless Fulham side.

FA3 - Arsenal 2-0 Burnley - Djourou, Oxlade-Chamberlain

An efficient performance, always looked in control with Djourou's early goal, before Oxlade-Chamberlain's late goal to confirm it.

CCSF1 - Arsenal 5-1 Wigan - Oxlade-Chamberlain (5)

An utterly dominant performance, and Oxlade-Chamberlain scored all 5. He also scored a magical goal, dribbling past several players, cutting in off the byline, driving into the roof of the net.

PRM - Arsenal 6-0 Man Utd - van Persie (3), Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Vermaelen

Utterly dominated against Man Utd. Van Persie got the scoring underway early, and we were ruthless all game. Fine performance, really great.

CCSF2 - Wigan 0-1 Arsenal - van Persie (Arsenal win 6-1 on aggregate)

A comfortable passage to the final, not vintage, but did the job.

FA4 - Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle - van Persie (2), Djourou

A comfortable win with a weakened side in the cup. Van Persie starting to hit form again.

FA Cup - 5th Round - Home to Queens Park Rangers

Champions League - Knockout Round - Shakhtar Donetsk

Carling Cup - Final - Bolton

Season Update 2011/12 - February & March

PRM - Bolton 1-2 Arsenal - Mertesacker, Oxlade-Chamberlain

First worrying signs of struggling. By no means a vintage performance, very few decent chances.

PRM - Arsenal 1-0 Blackburn - Sagna

An early Sagna goal, sweeping up a drilled cross at the far post was again, the only decent chance all game despite mountains of possession.

PRM - Swansea 2-2 Arsenal - Gervinho (2)

A depleted squad went 2-0 down at Swansea, before Gervinho had to be rushed off the bench to rescue me a point with a magnificent brace.

PRM - Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal - Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

A little more comfortable, but the game had a missed penalty each, and was only wrapped up late on by Oxlade-Chamberlain's lovely counter attack, and finish into far corner.

FA5 - Arsenal 2-2 QPR - Chamakh, Jenkinson

Chamakh's early strike was cancelled out by Zamora, and the game developed into me holding possession in QPR's half. Late on, a quick counter attack from Zamora led to a harsh penalty being given against Miquel, QPR took the lead from the resulting kick with 7 minutes left. With a late free kick though Carl Jenkinson headed home the equaliser with 90 seconds left on the clock.

UCLK1 - Shakhtar 3-1 Arsenal - Vermaelen

Shakhtar saw Rakitskyi sent off after 6 minutes, we took a 10th minute lead, but quickly were level, before an Eduardo header put the Ukrainian's in front, and we struggled all game, succumbing to a 3-1 loss to a side playing 84 minutes with 10 men. A true indicator our form had gone toilet, at just the wrong time...

Carling Cup Final - Arsenal 2-3 Bolton aet - van Persie (2)

An awful final. With the team heading in depleted and on poor form, with little confidence, this was always going to be hard. But Kevin Davies' header after 31 seconds put Bolton in front. Soon after some slack marking allowed Steinsson to rocket a shot in from a tight angle from the edge of the area. We eventually got a penalty for a minor foul before half time which van Persie despatched. Eventually a counter-attack saw van Persie go clean through and score to make it 2-2, but no further chances were forthcoming. In extra time a Bolton corner was not properly cleared, and Vermaelen got the last touch to send the ball into the Arsenal net. A team short on fitness and confidence had no reply, and Bolton won the League Cup Final after Extra Time.

PRM - Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal - Gervinho

An early goal from Gervinho put us in front, but the team clearly still affected by recent form could not keep out an equaliser. Gerrard was dismissed for a 2-footed tackle on Wilshere just before the break - but Liverpool continued to dominate in the 2nd half and I was glad to leave with a point.

FA5 (replay) - QPR 0-1 Arsenal - Chamakh

It took 76 minutes to finally score, and we didn't look like doing it for most of the game with Chamakh out of sorts. Eventually he slotted a through-ball past Kenny and we held on to win 1-0.

PRM - Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle

A much improved performance, and getting a little confidence back. Newcastle's 3-man defence gave us room down the flanks, but we couldn't find a striker with it, and somehow despite some superb movement and chances, it finished goalless.

UCL - Arsenal 0-0 Shakhtar (Shakhtar Donetsk progress 3-1 on aggregate)

Similar to the Newcastle game, although Shakhtar turned the tide midway into the first half, until I got the team in at half time and sorted some tactical issues. We put Shakhtar under immense late pressure, but failed to capitalise. We were not the better side over 2 legs, so I have few complaints.

FA6 - Arsenal 2-2 Southampton - van Persie (2)

Van Persie finally broke his recent run of poor form, by scoring a powerful effort from the edge of the area to open the scoring. Southampton replied quickly with a curler from Lallana, and took the lead when a Koscielny error, allowed Lambert time and space to score. We rescued the tie with an equaliser from van Persie midway through the 2nd half, but could not score. Another replay.

PRM - Arsenal 2-1 Stoke - van Persie (2)

Some excellent movement and finishing from van Persie put us 2-0 up inside the first half, we comfortably held on, with Fuller scoring a late consolation for Stoke. A dominant performance in midfield.

PRM - Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa - van Persie (3), Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chamakh

van Persie scored a stunning first half hattrick, and was ably assisted by Oxlade-Chamberlain and his excellent counter-attacking. A great performance, and Chamakh added a goal in the 2nd half with a powerful effort which Given could only help into the net. An excellent performance.

FA6 (replay) - Southampton 1-5 Arsenal - van Persie (2), Oxlade-Chamberlain (2), Djourou

We fell behind despite early dominance to a Szczesny own goal. Eventually some excellent shooting from van Persie and Oxlade-Chamberlain left us 4-1 up at half time. Oxlade-Chamberlain was man of the match against his former club. Djourou added a late header.

PRM - QPR 2-2 Arsenal - van Persie (2)

Robin van Persie scored his 10th and 11th goals in 5 games with a superb brace. He was named player of the month for March, and got Goal of the Month for our 2nd, as he took 1 touch to send himself clean through while facing away from goal, and turning Ferdinand, before unleashing a powerful shot into back of the net. We took the lead early, but 2 QPR counter attacks left us requiring the captain to score to earn us a point.

Premier League - 3 points behind first place Man City with 2 games in hand - we play each other next weekend too. Man Utd are 1 point behind, having played a game more. Chelsea are in 4th.

FA Cup - Semi Finalists against the winners of Stoke v Man Utd replay

Carling Cup - Runners Up

Champions League - Lost to Shakhtar in Knockout Round

llama - It looks like you're having to endure a poor run of form. Ups and downs from what I can see. You're not the only one though. I've had three draws in the last four and can't seem to score any goals! More to come in my monthly update though.

Hard lines on your Carling Cup and UEFA Champions League exit :thdn:

How's Emmanuel Frimpong, Ryo Miyaichi and Joel Campbell doing for everyone?

Currently I'm in a very annoying position where Frimpong and Miyaichi are not playing first team games at all and I can't call them back from their loans, while Campbell has scored 8 goals in 22 appearances for Lorient, who are 6 points from safety, but yet only has an average rating in the 6.6 region. Is this game harsh or what?

I've got plans to use them in the first team but with the first two pretty much losing a whole year of development I'm not sure how good I can get them to be.

Also, is anyone else having trouble with Blackburn? Just played them in the FA Cup and was outplayed despite them being 18th. :o

You're not the only one with Blackburn JEinchy, played them twice, both been close games but I came out on top, in one of them they managed to finish the game with around 60% possession. Think my bogey team has to be Fulham on this patch, such a tough team to beat bar the top 6.

How's Emmanuel Frimpong, Ryo Miyaichi and Joel Campbell doing for everyone?

Currently I'm in a very annoying position where Frimpong and Miyaichi are not playing first team games at all and I can't call them back from their loans, while Campbell has scored 8 goals in 22 appearances for Lorient, who are 6 points from safety, but yet only has an average rating in the 6.6 region. Is this game harsh or what?

I've got plans to use them in the first team but with the first two pretty much losing a whole year of development I'm not sure how good I can get them to be.

Also, is anyone else having trouble with Blackburn? Just played them in the FA Cup and was outplayed despite them being 18th. :o

Blackburn are always annoying. I often find them tricky. I am finding same problems with the loanees too. I want to keep all 3 in first team next year. I have game time available and do not need to buy anyone with those 3 returning. Same as NorthernGooner Fulham is definitely my bogey side on FM12

I can now add Wolves to the list of the teams I have difficulty against. Just drew 1-1 with them at the Emirates, despite having a number of opportunities.

One of thing that really annoys me about this game is how easy it is for weaker teams to stroke the ball about like their Barcelona and dominate the bigger teams in terms of possession.

I can now add Wolves to the list of the teams I have difficulty against. Just drew 1-1 with them at the Emirates, despite having a number of opportunities.

One of thing that really annoys me about this game is how easy it is for weaker teams to stroke the ball about like their Barcelona and dominate the bigger teams in terms of possession.

I am enjoying a casual 3-0 win at wolves whilst resting players, and even before Karl Henry's red card that it was comfortable. Blackburn and Fulham are the 2 i don't get on with.

For those of you who are playing with a 4-2-3-1 formation, how good are your centre-midfielders at supporting your attackers in flowing, attacking moves?

At the moment, Mikel Arteta [CM > Support] and Alex Song [CM > Defend] are my central midfielders, but I want them to get involved far more when getting forward, Alex Song less so. For example, I'd like Mikel Arteta to gain some more assists from open play and become an attacking thread without over congesting the final third. Any tips on how to do this?

hey Llew.. i think the problem is that arteta isnt well suited to a deeper cm role.. he needs to be picking up balls higher up the pitch at amc imo ....

but tbh.. if you keep him at the cm position and just change him up to being a more attacking role (playmaker etc) he will find his way into better positions

cm>support really means he's just sitting in a deeper position and passing the ball around :/

Archived