A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

Steam's not just updating, it works apart from the store, news and community, and that's both on the client and on the website which won't work at all.

It's either the Chinese that are comming or we all got to move to Aberdeen to play our beloved game... :D

I hope that someone stumbles accross what's going on and shares it with the rest of us...

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The general gist I'm getting from looking around is that BT have deliberately blocked the Steam store and anything related to it because with the sale on, they don't want people 'clogging up' the lines by downloading large files, which if true will have just lost BT a customer. Absolute disgrace.

Great so now we dont only need to worry about FM12 activation being prevented by "Terrorists" attacking servers it could also be caused by internet providers forcing decisions of choice of service upon us? Any more problems in waiting that we dont know about? Seems Oct 21st activation will be a lottery for some. Seriously is anyone ignorant or thick enough to still think Steam activation for FM12 (with no alternative method) is a good idea? If you do I pity you, as I pity those who will find FM12 activation a nightmare from start to finish.

I still plan to buy FM12 (this is not a walk-away post) but I think Steam activation is getting proven every day to be less and less a reliable vehicle for accessing the game.

Great so now we dont only need to worry about FM12 activation being prevented by "Terrorists" attacking servers it could also be caused by internet providers forcing decisions of choice of service upon us? Any more problems in waiting that we dont know about? Seems Oct 21st activation will be a lottery for some. Seriously is anyone ignorant or thick enough to still think Steam activation for FM12 (with no alternative method) is a good idea? If you do I pity you, as I pity those who will find FM12 activation a nightmare from start to finish.

I still plan to buy FM12 (this is not a walk-away post) but I think Steam activation is getting proven every day to be less and less a reliable vehicle for accessing the game.

Well if it's true (and I really hope not) then hopefully SI might reconsider.

I don't understand your deep attacks against Steam but I know they're highly unjustified. Steam has worked perfectly for most people the last bunch of years, and it will continue to work perfectly. This is BT's problem, stop using it as an attack against Steam. Rarely ever does this happen. I've used Steam since 2004 and never experienced a problem, it's a very reliable client.

milnerpoint lives in heaven ;):D...

I can't think of any good car analogies that could explain what is going on right now...

Steam activation of FM12 = carcrash. There's you analogy! Signed up to Steam on friday, every day since I have read about this problem and that problem. Am furious SI are hell bent on destroying the Collyers baby in this cack-handed way (destroying it for me anyway!). Still trying tokeep the faith though.

Still, as a ruse for prevent the bored and stupid from constantly asking for the demo release date this pantomime is beyond compare. Well done SI!

I don't understand your deep attacks against Steam but I know they're highly unjustified. Steam has worked perfectly for most people the last bunch of years, and it will continue to work perfectly. This is BT's problem, stop using it as an attack against Steam. Rarely ever does this happen. I've used Steam since 2004 and never experienced a problem, it's a very reliable client.

I have nothing against Steam per se but it is a fact, this is another link in the chain between purchasing and playing the game - and a lot of recent posts suggest it is (maybe through no fault of Steam's) a weak link.

I think people should calm down, it's not as if this whole mess is due to being unreliable- and I am not just flinging this out, I got it straight from the horse's mouth. Due to this whole piracy issue and the whole SI/SEGA/Steam/Internet reality we can all endure being part of the 'big blame game'. God, I hate those pirates... :mad:

I've worked in the film industry for near on 20 years and I despise piracy but this isn't the answer. Even though the developers may think it will in some way deter people from from illegally distributing the game they are wrong

Maybe they can learn from you guys, after a short while the movies usually get sold out at 5 euros - which would be ridiculous to pirate when you can have the real deal - and you guys haven't gone bust yet (nor has the movies got worse in quality - statistically). Blu-ray and 3d has got the better of them, imagine a 3d FM - now how cool is that...? :cool:

Of course Steam is a very reliable client, otherwise SI/SEGA would never choose them.

Millions of people use Steam, and perhaps under 0.01% has/had problems with it. The thing is, from those 0.01%.... almoust 100% will post in a forum saying bad thing about steam.

It's because of this, that steam is having a bit of a bad reputation between FM fans. Because, a minor percentage of them had problems with steam, and talk about it in this forum. But a big percentage of FM fans that use steam, didn't start a thread talking about steam, and how good it is.

Result: people who never used steam, and comes to this forum... what do they see? bad threads about steam.

Still, as a ruse for prevent the bored and stupid from constantly asking for the demo release date this pantomime is beyond compare. Well done SI!

Are you the first to spot this?:D in truth it wasn't done for that but I'm on record as saying it's a blessing in disguise for that reason lol.

Of course Steam is a very reliable client, otherwise SI/SEGA would never choose them.

Millions of people use Steam, and perhaps under 0.01% has/had problems with it. The thing is, from those 0.01%.... almoust 100% will post in a forum saying bad thing about steam.

It's because of this, that steam is having a bit of a bad reputation between FM fans. Because, a minor percentage of them had problems with steam, and talk about it in this forum. But a big percentage of FM fans that use steam, didn't start a thread talking about steam, and how good it is.

Result: people who never used steam, and comes to this forum... what do they see? bad threads about steam.

I hope you are right. My experience is:

Friday - cant log in old Steam account (due to software update apparantly)

Friday- create new account (worked eventually, had problems though due to software upgrade....)

Saturday - Steam Screenshot Manager starts intruding into the log off process

Sunday & Monday so far - no problems but havent used Steam since Sat

Within that same period others have experienced other problems accessing Steam which are well documented in previous posts.

I have no doubt that these posts only happen when the extraordinary occurs (eg log on problems, or indeed many years use use with no issues - not many services can actually boast that),and that Steam users with no access issues are un likely to search out this thread to state that all is fine so it is impossible to guage any stats on reliability or not of Steam, but the issues discused (Sotware upgrades, ISP interference & "Terrorist" attacks on servers do happen and it is the chance of those which bothers me - a chance percentage I cannot begin to calculate.

I suspect in ten years there will only be DRM of this type, it will be unproblematic and no one will have any issues with it (pirates aside!) BUT the experiences of the last 4 days suggest right now that reliability is a long way from being assured.

Managed to get the install file through the Proxy, and now I just get 'Steam.exe (main exception): To run Steam you must first connect to the internet'. Well I am connected to the internet or I wouldn't be posting this.

Edit- Peerblock doesn't like Steam for some reason :confused: Disabled it and it's working (I think).

There is a very good reason why Peerblock dislikes Steam. Peerblock is meant to block applications like that. You need to either temporarily disable Peerblock or enter (probably lots of) allowance rules for Steam and Valve IPs.

Yeh seems to be an amalgamation of issues. Let's just say, if you didn't have to use Steam for Fm12 people wouldn't have these issues.

That's not to say they wouldn't have other issues though.

Steam as a piracy delay, will probably help. But I wonder how many configurations out there will block steam?

Had it for ages, and it does it's job as a Firewall. It was something to do with Steam, because their new 'update' busted the offline mode, and then BT have seriously cocked up too.

Steam **** up & BT **** up. As SI are allowing these organs to contol the customer's access to FM12 by definition SI have cocked up too. Simple as. :-(

Well FM12 isn't even out yet. And people with BT were able to get on before. So I imagine that will be sorted out - it's still about another month till FM12 - so if it's not sorted by then I'd consider changing broadband provider.

As FM12 hasn't been released yet, I'm not sure it's fair to say it's being cocked up?

Using Steam for FM12 seems like a relatively easy process.

Eh..don't run peerblock while trying to run an application by Steam.

The people who update the lists for peerblock (which are downloaded once a day) are those that use it for downloading torrents. As such, they will look to block applications like Steam from interacting with your computer.

Well FM12 isn't even out yet. And people with BT were able to get on before. So I imagine that will be sorted out - it's still about another month till FM12 - so if it's not sorted by then I'd consider changing broadband provider.

As FM12 hasn't been released yet, I'm not sure it's fair to say it's being cocked up?

Using Steam for FM12 seems like a relatively easy process.

"Easy process"?. Thats a sick joke, yeah? Re read the previous several pages and you will see what nonsense that statement is. east for you maybe, well arent you the luck one?

Yes, FM12 is not out yet - but if it were it would have been rendered unplayable for at least part of the last weekend. So what then, the Steam issue is "OK" bacause it will be sorted by 21st oct - not good enough for me, not good enoough for Loversleaper, Metal_guitarist & others. Now some say off line mode on other games is suspect!, being able to go "offline" and not worry about Steams relative incompetance or indeed my ISP's whims and fancies was my only reassurance until I read about that new issue. I just wish those that have no problems would stop pretendeing there are no problems and start demanding re-assurances on behalf of those that do have problems. All I want to hear is Steam saying that the software issues are all resolved and that it was all part of getting everything set to prevent future issues, and for ISP's to state that they will no longer jeopardise Consumer access to Steam and for SI to state that they are happy that the poblems of the last few days are fully resolved and that they have every faith there will be so such issues and no issues of any sort regarding activation on 21st oct. I have heard no such reassurance and expect none for the foreseable future. Someone has dropped a ricket here.

Eh..don't run peerblock while trying to run an application by Steam.

The people who update the lists for peerblock (which are downloaded once a day) are those that use it for downloading torrents. As such, they will look to block applications like Steam from interacting with your computer.

Sounds like good advice - the only reassuring statement posted on here today.

There can never be any guarantees. People will have issues. Regardless of using Steam or not.

Before Steam - there are support threads on these forums. 1885 threads (not posts a lot more of those) for PC Support. 8 threads for Mac Support.

What are you going to do?

You've been told that you'll need Steam and an Internet connection. There's plenty of time to sort out issues, with internet providers, Steam login issues, resolving offline mode issues and the other issues you may be having.

That's just the way I see it. Again, sorry you're having such difficulties. I just think you have the time to sort them out and then you'll be able to enjoy FM12.

There can never be any guarantees. People will have issues. Regardless of using Steam or not.

Before Steam - there are support threads on these forums. 1885 threads (not posts a lot more of those) for PC Support. 8 threads for Mac Support.

What are you going to do?

You've been told that you'll need Steam and an Internet connection. There's plenty of time to sort out issues, with internet providers, Steam login issues, resolving offline mode issues and the other issues you may be having.

That's just the way I see it. Again, sorry you're having such difficulties. I just think you have the time to sort them out and then you'll be able to enjoy FM12.

I hope you are right and as i said Im sure Steam (or similar) activations will be the norm very soon. I suspect that for a lot of FM'ers FM is their only game so maybe this year's switch to Steam-only activation will speed that process up by pulling in a whole new Customer base for Steam. I am concerned that there seem to be a range of problems rather than just one, and you would have expected Steam to have a tight system for when the FM announcement was made (a very basic PR requirement), they failed on that account. Actually I look forward to buying online and activating over breakfast without leaving my door (21st Oct being a day's holiday, naturally!), I just hope my trust does not end up misplaced. If I have any issue with the demo download I shall think twice and think again about whether the switch from FM11 is really worth the frustration but for now i look forward with optimism to my adventures in FM12.....

I hope you are right and as i said Im sure Steam (or similar) activations will be the norm very soon. I suspect that for a lot of FM'ers FM is their only game so maybe this year's switch to Steam-only activation will speed that process up by pulling in a whole new Customer base for Steam. I am concerned that there seem to be a range of problems rather than just one, and you would have expected Steam to have a tight system for when the FM announcement was made (a very basic PR requirement), they failed on that account. Actually I look forward to buying online and activating over breakfast without leaving my door (21st Oct being a day's holiday, naturally!), I just hope my trust does not end up misplaced. If I have any issue with the demo download I shall think twice and think again about whether the switch from FM11 is really worth the frustration but for now i look forward with optimism to my adventures in FM12.....

I think Eugene's post and your reply pretty much sum up the whole thing for me. Hopefully your Fm12 experience will be far less painful, and to be honest i expect it, because anything less would be a bit shoddy in my opinon. I use steam as a means to an end, and its been pretty good for me, so I hope it ends up being just as good for you when it really counts.

Out of curiosity I checked and Steam had 25,000,000 subscribers in 2009:eek: when somebody said FM was a small fish I had no idea how big the pond was, we really are just a fleabite lol.

But you forget that every year the once-annually users need to open a new account (as they havent learnt cryptic French in the previous 12 months and would need to to activate their old account!), so you can consider a lot of users to have 2, 3 or maybe more accounts..... ;-)

Actually as the official line to circum navigate the software bug seems to be "open another account" I wonder what Steam think of this?, its hardly ideal getting flooded with duplicate accounts. I hope and pray their solution to that is not to release another software upgrade! LOL

But you forget that every year the once-annually users need to open a new account (as they havent learnt cryptic French in the previous 12 months and would need to to activate their old account!), so you can consider a lot of users to have 2, 3 or maybe more accounts..... ;-)

Actually as the official line to circum navigate the software bug seems to be "open another account" I wonder what Steam think of this?, its hardly ideal getting flooded with duplicate accounts. I hope and pray their solution to that is not to release another software upgrade! LOL

Well, no wonder that there are 25mil users if everybody has 2 or 3 or more accounts. I'd be an unhappy camper if I had 166 games and had to create a new account...

So far, I think that Steam has some issues in certain countries and wi-fi systems, therefore it has caused some people problems. You need a better connection for it to work optimally, that is what I have gathered so far. Steam did have to update and I think it took time to for them to reach out to all corners of the planet. I still think that the reality around Steam is going to cause a lot of problems as many people don't know the technical side of how the whole thing works. It's a lot easier for poeple who understand what caches are and what not, but we have to remember that FM gamers are not your typical gamer - most of them are football fans, not computer geeks...

Everyone I know has one account. What you said is not true at all. Look at my account for example, made in 2004. Accounts never close unless by request of the user, even then I don't think Valve goes through with it. If I'm missing what you're saying, please correct me, but hardly anyone has two accounts.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DUNEB/

Do I detect a tiny degree of cynicism in there?:eek:

Everyone I know has one account. What you said is not true at all. Look at my account for example, made in 2004. Accounts never close unless by request of the user, even then I don't think Valve goes through with it. If I'm missing what you're saying, please correct me, but hardly anyone has two accounts.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DUNEB/

Actually there were elements of irony in my post but it is true that opening duplicate accounts is an advised route to solve the software upgrade issues. I guess regular Steam users cannot understand this as their service is fine, it is mainly the FM, 1 time per year Steam visitors that have the problem making it appear that they are making a fuss about nothing when to them Steam has totally let them down on the rare occaison that they use it.

Never really looked around steam properly apart from buying FM11 last year, Gotta say when you look around it you spot loads of really cheap deals, Think I have a new found love for steam

Yes, it's a treasure trove of games you wish you'd kept and games you almost bought, I couldn't resist Railroad Tycooon 2 and Sid Meiers Pirates, and I'm eying Civ 4 Colonisation with increasing avarice;)

Hmm just read the opening post and I predicted what the thread would be like as soon as I saw Steam will be required. 30 odd pages of people saying that they won't be buying the game etc and then others saying steam isn't the enemy. A lot of game companies are going to do this now as Steam is a very good system of buying games etc.

Personally I like the program even though I had reservations about using it when I got FM 2009 but now I own a lot of game son there and bar FM, Portal 2 and Fallout: New Vegas have not paid full price for a PC game. Hell I got Batman: Arkham Asylum for a Fiver and that was the GOTY edition.

No end of problems with steam it would seem and BT Infinity users can't even access steam, this all points to a complete disaster for SI, choosing one option to play the game through steam is an accident waiting to happen, maybe they will learn a lesson (for the 2nd time) not to put all their eggs in one basket!

I pity anyone that tries to play this on release day because it is highly likely that those in favour of steam will be up in arms also!!

Maybe next year I will buy FM2013 if other options to play the game are re-introduced, if not, my time with the FM series will come to an end.

As long as your ISP doesn't block Steam it's no real problem.

The only issue I had with mine is that as I've not played FM11 for a while I've not even had it running so it didn't work at first. A quick download of Steam from the website and re-installation soon sorted it out and my account quickly came up.

Off line mode works fine for me, although after my PC starts up there is a pop up that asks if I want to keep Steam running offline.

I've not heard of any problems with other games that also use Steam to activate on their release day.

Steam is designed to run at a high volume, so I very much doubt that their whole network will lock up due to a big demand from FM players. I would be surprised is FM activation on release day would make much of a dent in Steam's capacity at all especially as those pre-ordering it on Steam will have downloaded nearly all of the game a few days before release day.

As long as your ISP doesn't block Steam it's no real problem.

The only issue I had with mine is that as I've not played FM11 for a while I've not even had it running so it didn't work at first. A quick download of Steam from the website and re-installation soon sorted it out and my account quickly came up.

Off line mode works fine for me, although after my PC starts up there is a pop up that asks if I want to keep Steam running offline.

I've not heard of any problems with other games that also use Steam to activate on their release day.

Steam is designed to run at a high volume, so I very much doubt that their whole network will lock up due to a big demand from FM players. I would be surprised is FM activation on release day would make much of a dent in Steam's capacity at all especially as those pre-ordering it on Steam will have downloaded nearly all of the game a few days before release day.

+1 Never been overly fussed with steam, but i expect this to be as painless as any other game i have activated over steam

Archived