A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

I would like to request anyone not living in la-la land and that has Steam to please try the following:

1: Turn off computer

2: Make sure when you start up there is no internet connection so Steam throws up the "Retry connection" or "Start Steam in offline mode" option

3: Hit the "Start Steam in offline mode"

4: Report what happens

I would like to hear from a larger audience, because I can't imagine that I am all alone in this (as suggested)...

Many thanks

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to request anyone not living in la-la land and that has Steam to please try the following:

2: Make sure when you start up there is no internet connection so Steam throws up the "Retry connection" or "Start Steam in offline mode" option

I would like to hear from a larger audience, because I can't imagine that I am all alone in this (as suggested)...

Many thanks

Loversleaper, dont take any offense, but dont you think there is a better forum to make this kind of questions? Like... let me think... Steam Forum?

If you have a problem with steam, deal with it, contact forum support, go to steam forum, google it, but... whats the sence to come here and complain about it, when... today... we dont need steam to play FM?

Or is just part of a big quest against SI/Steam?

Loversleaper, dont take any offense, but dont you think there is a better forum to make this kind of questions? Like... let me think... Steam Forum?

If you have a problem with steam, deal with it, contact forum support, go to steam forum, google it, but... whats the sence to come here and complain about it, when... today... we dont need steam to play FM?

Or is just part of a big quest against SI/Steam?

I know that you don't see the problem here, but since we are all forced (from SI) to use Steam I think this is a valid discussion. We need to know how this works and think it is unfair that we are now in a situation where we have to contact other institutions due to someone simply purchasing a FM game...

We are playing "the blame game" here, now I ask you: do you think it's fair?

I know that you don't see the problem here, but since we are all forced (from SI) to use Steam I think this is a valid discussion. We need to know how this works and think it is unfair that we are now in a situation where we have to contact other institutions due to someone simply purchasing a FM game...

We are playing "the blame game" here, now I ask you: do you think it's fair?

If i think it's fair? Of course i think it's fair! It's theres game, it's theres rules! If SI/Sega want to use steam to activate/play the game, who are you, or me, or anyone else, to say..."oh that's not fair!" Why?

If you dont like it:

a) dont play the game

b) earn alot of money, buy SI, and then make your own rules

But again, if you have a problem with steam, you should, for your own convenience, contact steam support! I mean, if i have a problem with my windows, or my graphic card drivers... and if thats the reason why i cant play the game... what should i do first? Come here and blame SI for it?

Many thanks

Offline mode requires valid Steam credentials to be saved locally on the computer. Make sure you ticked the "remember my password" checkbox the last time you logged in when online and it should work. If you haven't, you'll get the error messages you've been describing.

Offline mode requires valid Steam credentials to be saved locally on the computer. Make sure you ticked the "remember my password" checkbox the last time you logged in when online and it should work. If you haven't, you'll get the error messages you've been describing.

You are kind of suggesting that I was born yesterday...

Please people, I know what I am doing in these matters because when I hit the Steam icon it automatically logs into my account, I don't know how to get this point accross anymore - if you don't believe me then what can I honestly say? Truely and honestly I have these issues and I wish that someone tries it for themselves...

I did try it. With the box checked - works. With it unchecked - get the exact same errors as you. The auto login probably wouldn't work if this was the case, but for the sake of checking everything, I don't suppose "Don't save account credentials on this computer" is checked under Settings > Account for you?

I did try it. With the box checked - works. With it unchecked - get the exact same errors as you. The auto login probably wouldn't work if this was the case, but for the sake of checking everything, I don't suppose "Don't save account credentials on this computer" is checked under Settings > Account for you?

I have been through this dance and charade and funnily enough I just uploaded that screenshot (just in case you asked!)...

dancecharade.jpg

By loversleaper at 2011-09-28

P.S. Didn't include the date and time (due to powersaving)... hold on a sec, thanks...

Loversleaper,

Have you try unistalling Steam, and make a new clean install?

Of course, I have and I did update the client as Kriss suggested. Anyway, I just bought a new laptop today cause I am incredibly tired of this asus (got a dell now) so I will unistall it from this computer and reinstall it on the new one later on tonight. I know you guys are just trying to help me... :thup:

Hm, my best guess would be that you maybe have some 3rd party application that clears out temporary files/similar and kills the saved credentials in the process? If not, I'm at a loss.

If that were the case then everytime I open the computer then it would ask for my password (which is not the case). I still cannot believe that I am the only one, I have been going through several forums on the internet where other users are having this same problem... :confused:

ClientRegistry.blob in the Steam folder is apparently the file holding account credentials. Is this intact after your offline reboot, still there and same-as-before-reboot when you try to use Offline Mode?

I went through this with Dune just a few pages back...

Sorry if you feel like you're going around in circles, I must've missed those posts. Beats me, then. As long as the credentials are there it's supposed to play ball. Better luck with the new laptop I guess. :/

Please, Kriss, if anyone comes and says I need to clear caches, cookies and what not - do me the favor, huh? I'll see all you happy campers tonight...

If I may just state the obvious:) only load apps you really need to before trying Steam, then if it works loading your other stuff might actually point us to something significant.

Damn I just pop on and this thread is still going around in circles lol :D ... Don't actually see point in moaning anymore, Your gonna need steam and there's noway around this, It's just a simple case of buy it or don't, I have no quarrels with SI / Sega to be honest, I don't have to pay for steam so I honestly can't see the problem, I'm buying FM12 I know that for sure

There is nothing radical about the choice, you play or you dont, i like playing half life 2, if i want to i have to use steam, if i didnt want steam installed i wouldnt be able to play, that would be my choice, the same now goes for FM. There is no forcing anyone to do anything they dont want, you have the choice as a customer to say no i dont want this, ill move onto something else. Your very much right when you say this will alienate people, but enough to make any mark on the sales figures? Remember SI are a company, not your mate that makes a game you enjoy, yes they are very much more involved with their community than most game dev's, but people shouldnt mistake them as something different to a normal games company when it comes to the botton line. What we also seem to be forgetting is how many fans this could generate for SI and FM, dont count out the size of Steam and its ability to reach people who would not normally had the chance to buy the game, or at least not as easily as they can now. Change always alienates one side of the argument, that is the nature of change, some dont agree with it, some dont agree with the direction and some are quite happy with the whole situation, time will tell if the change has been for the better, my gut instanct says it will, even if they get 1% more sales this year it will have been worth it.

This doesn't make any sense. FM has been available on Steam for almost 5 years now. Binding it solely to Steam will reduce numbers, not increase them.

This doesn't make any sense. FM has been available on Steam for almost 5 years now. Binding it solely to Steam will reduce numbers, not increase them.

It might reduce the number of current buyers a bit but 50M people will see the ads, of course we won't know the actual effect of that for some time but you have to think it might be considerable.

I remember I didn't find FM through adverts, I spotted it on a shelf in Tesco and only picked it up because I'd already tried the two that were rivals at that time and found them wanting, if FM had been full price at that moment history would need rewriting (in my case):)

It might reduce the number of current buyers a bit but 50M people will see the ads, of course we won't know the actual effect of that for some time but you have to think it might be considerable.

I remember I didn't find FM through adverts, I spotted it on a shelf in Tesco and only picked it up because I'd already tried the two that were rivals at that time and found them wanting, if FM had been full price at that moment history would need rewriting (in my case):)

Yea, but that's the same number of people that saw the ads last year.

Milner was saying that somehow making the game require Steam to activate means that more people will have the opportunity to buy it. Which clearly doesn't make sense.

Also, a reduction in choice is a step backwards, not forwards.

That's been the motto of the 21st century will. Technology improves but businesses use it to limit the consumer, rather than expanding their options*

* Obviously doesn't apply to every single technology advancement, but in regards to consoles, gaming, some mobile phone advancements and so on.

As a heavy user of Steam (and a big fan of all the Manager games all the way back to... 1994? Maybe? I just want to clear up issues for both sides in one post. If it's too long, just look for the issue that's bugging you and read that part.

1) I have to be connected to the internet all the time! I use my laptop on the train! I can't play this game! -- False: You only need to connect your laptop to the internet -once- (You could do this from a Starbucks wifi hotspot if you want). After that you can click offline mode, hide Steam and it can disappear to the system tray right beside your volume control. You'll launch FM2012 from a desktop icon or the start menu and never see anything from Steam again. If you're unable to set Steam into offline mode, you are experiencing a support issue and should contact Steam support.

2) Steam has no benefits and I'm being punished by being forced to use it! -- False/True. You -are- being forced to use it, no denying that, but Steam has a -lot- of benefits. I'll list the ones you probably don't care about first; a friends application that lets you talk to friends ingame without pausing or slowing your game, an ingame browser for looking on the internet during those long loading screens, a screenshot system where you can hit a key and it'll take a screenshot to share on a page, a launcher to launch your games from that lets you have them all in one place and not cluttering your start menu or desktop.

Now for the one you -should- care about. Automatic updates. Maybe you don't like them and maybe you don't want to use them. If so, that's fine, turn off automatic updating, or use Steam in offline mode. However, for a lot of users who are not as tech savvy as you, this will be the only way they will get an improvement to their gaming experience. Think about them for a second. This is a quick and easy and fast way for them to get all the bug fixes that make a game much more enjoyable. For those of you who really do hate the automatic updates, you should be aware that automatic updates make it easier for the developer to produce and output patches, meaning that your game will be patched faster and more often creating a better gaming experience for you too, even if you go downloading the updates on your own.

Also, from anywhere in the world, even if you lose the DVD (You still have a DVD) you can download the game and play again. If you get kidnapped by pirates and have to live the rest of your life in Randomville, Randomica, you can download your game with no worries and just start playing. (if the game uses Steam cloud, you can even continue your savegame as if you've never left off, because it'll transfer your saves too)

3) Steam will use up all my bandwidth! (I don't know if someone mentioned this yet, but it's an issue) -- True (maybe): If you have a bandwidth cap that's quite restrictive and you have a lot of games on Steam (which I suspect very few of the people reading this do have) and they all get updated in one day, that can hit your bandwidth cap... maybe... possibly. Never had it happen with my... 200-odd games n Steam, but it's possible!

4) Steam is a virus we're being forced to install! -- False: Steam is a service with lot of features that users often appreciate. I run all my games through Steam, even games that don't get to take advantage of all of the features. Often developers are begged to use Steamworks in their game and a lot of people will choose a Steam version over another version.

5) This won't stop piracy! -- False/True: It's true that nothing stops piracy forever, it is possible to "delay" piracy. Just because we can't stop it totally doesn't mean we shouldn't -try-. If you looked at the other anti-piracy measures they could've chosen, you'd know that Steam is one of the best. Diablo 3 requires you to have a constant internet connection, won't let you pause, closes your game if you don't touch it for an hour and if you lose your internet connection it sends you back to your last checkpoint... These kinds of DRM systems are not rare. They picked a system that's popular with users, not one that is the most secure. There would always be DRM, probably all requiring a one-time online activation these days. They chose a service that provides a lot of benefits in addition.

6) Steam is a resource hog/data miner! -- False: If you're so concerned about the data mining, just play your game offline (though they don't do data mining. They'll ask permission before they even check tosee what hardware you use and it's totally optional to help them provide a better service). Steam is always running in the background on every computer I have and my dad's computer in his house and they're using very old computers with no slowdown at all (a millisecond added to your startup time that's probably less than Adobe Acrobat uses when it starts up your computer.)

If anyone has an issue, for either side that I'm missing, let me know and I'll add it to the post if people really want, but my main point is really the "This won't stop piracy" point... Steam is "one of" the nicest anti-piracy measures being used right now. If you saw the options that SI turned down in favour of this one, you might be a lot happier with them.

Many thanks

Steam started in offline mode, as its supposed to.

I am gonna be frank with you. I have already pre-ordered the game so ill download it 21st October from Gamersgate. If that vires called steamshit creates a single problem with me. I am just gonna download the pirated version for the first time and use it.

The solution 2 years ago was much better, i autenticated the game via another serverprogram(dont remember its name now, EDIT Uniloc) and could play without the need of additional virus programs where the rest were waiting theirs to download via Steamshit the first day. :-D

I am gonna be frank with you. I have already pre-ordered the game so ill download it 21st October from Gamersgate. If that vires called steamshit creates a single problem with me. I am just gonna download the pirated version for the first time and use it.

The solution 2 years ago was much better, i autenticated the game via another serverprogram(dont remember its name now, EDIT Uniloc) and could play without the need of additional virus programs where the rest were waiting theirs to download via Steamshit the first day. :-D

Clearly I didn't respond to your specific issues in my post above, so could I ask what your specific issue is with Steam that you think is so bad that it's worth pirating the game over? Perhaps there's a solution that doesn't involve adding to the piracy statistics that lead to even more restrictive anti-piracy techniques. (I'll also point out that Steam is a strong reliable service. When a developer uses a third party program, they're unlikely to find one as reliable as Steam. Something that day-one purchasers of The Witcher 2 discovered when they used a third party system from Namco Bandai (a large games company, not a tiny one, but a company that didn't have a system as robust as Steam) and discovered that they couldn't play the game at all until a patch was released removing this activation. Something that the developers are now in court because Namco are telling them they should not have removed it)

The solution 2 years ago was much better, i autenticated the game via another serverprogram(dont remember its name now) and could play without the need of additional virus programs where the rest were waiting theirs to download via Steamshit the first day. :-D

"Steamsh*t"? Calling it a virus? Really? Do you understand what Steam is and has done? Steam is the program that has saved PC Gaming. Steam is the program that took hundreds of indie developers under their wing and made some of them millions, such as Frostbyte. Believe it or not, without Steam, you might be playing FM on console as that's where the sales would be. Steam is the #1 digital distribution service in the world, and believe it or not, it's as far from a virus as it can be. I'd love to hear how it's a virus if you can explain such to me, as I've been using it for 7 years and have bought 263 items from it. It's never failed and is probably my favorite little program. So once again, why don't you tell me how this is a "virus" or "sh*t"?

This is a bad idea, I have always bought the game as it's not that expensive, but I know of certain software which is 10 times the price of FM which has been successfully hacked, and I think if Adobe and Microsoft can't stop the hackers from pirating their software, then (with no disrespect to steam and SI) don't have a chance in hell of keeping hackers obey. In my opinion this is just adding a further annoyance to buying the game and people will prefer to just download (an inevitable) pirated version instead.

Also, what's the bets on the servers being too full to activate until about midnight of release day, like a few versions ago!!!!

Also, what's the bets on the servers being too full to activate until about midnight of release day, like a few versions ago!!!!

Don't worry, Steam has greatly upgraded the servers. It's launched some of the biggest releases in PC history recently such as Portal 2. The servers are made out for this now, you'll be fine.

And I suppose you prefer overpriced machines that are impossible to upgrade, about three times the price of a PC I can build with those specs, and a company who has employed millions of sheep to purchase their goods.

I can do both but prefer Macs nowadays. I don't game much outside of FM nowadays, but I do design websites and graphics as part of my business. Macs are far more advanced in these areas and are, from my perspective, worth the extra cost. I also network throughout the house with Macs and PCs. Not had a moment's trouble from any Mac, but Windows networking drives me nuts! If, however, I went back to proper gaming, I'd build a PC desktop.

I can do both but prefer Macs nowadays. I don't game much outside of FM nowadays, but I do design websites and graphics as part of my business. Macs are far more advanced in these areas and are, from my perspective, worth the extra cost. I also network throughout the house with Macs and PCs. Not had a moment's trouble from any Mac, but Windows networking drives me nuts! If, however, I went back to proper gaming, I'd build a PC desktop.

Macs are no doubt very good for designing websites and graphics. I just don't know how I, personally, could justify spending that much money for a Mac. If that's what you do for a living, no doubt, Macs are going to be the better option in the long term, but for me, I prefer Windows 7 over any Apple OS.

Don't want to start a Mac Vs PC war. So here's my two cents on it. And it's just my opinion and a valid one, with over 12 years using both PC and Mac for design.

I also do websites and graphics, and I can attest that PCs have come a long way over the last 10 years. Spend the money you spend on a Mac for a PC, and you'll get roughly the same experience. Actually in a PC you could get better everything in hardware for the same price as a Mac.

I use a PC and Mac for my work and I don't notice any difference at all in performance of one over the other. Whether I'm doing flash animations, editing video, or creating magazines. Both run equally well, with each having their own quirks. Both have the exact same system specs.

Thing is people go in and buy a PC off the shelf. They buy the cheapest one for €350 say. As "it will do". They cry about it being crap after a few months. Someone recommends a mac, they go out and spend €900 on a Mac. And all of sudden "Macs are great". If they had spent €600 on a proper PC first they wouldn't have had a problem.

Problem really lies in that people don't know what they're buying. What the different specs mean and things like that. What I do like about the Macs is that they are never under spec'd and really built to last. That's because Apple control that very tightly.

With a PC, it can be any brand, any choice of hardware lumped together, any old price thrown it, and nobody is really regulating it or keeping tight control. So of course you get bogus PCs and bad user experience.

So in that regards, people may be better off spending a bit more on a Mac for that piece of mind of quality guarantee.

*sorry prefixed and suffixed my post*

Macs are no doubt very good for designing websites and graphics. I just don't know how I, personally, could justify spending that much money for a Mac. If that's what you do for a living, no doubt, Macs are going to be the better option in the long term, but for me, I prefer Windows 7 over any Apple OS.

Someone I work with only buys Macs, but has Windows 7 installed as the primary OS on all of them. Now, that IS pointless.

My own perspective is that once you adapt to OSX, it is more intuitive than Windows. You also get the advantage of easy install, almost universal plug'n'play, plus, if you buy Pathfinder, the best file browsing system known to man. I find Windows very bloated beside it. If I bought a gaming PC, I'd strip Windows down as far as it can go, install Firefox and Steam ;), and only run those and games. Everything else I'd do through a Mac.

So in that regards, people may be better off spending a bit more on a Mac for that piece of mind of quality guarantee.

The funny thing is it's really not a bit more. It's a lot more :). You could just ask a hardware enthusiast on a tech forum to help you with a build that fits your budget and voila. For example, the most expensive iMac seems to be $1999. With that money, I could have you a rig with an i7 2600k, a 590, an SSD, 8gb of 1600 ram. I'm against Macs for the people who automatically think they're great because of what they have purchased in the past with no research. And I also can't stand the sheep that go and purchase everything Apple. For example, an iPad wasn't the first tablet, yet people have started calling tablets iPads which really sickens me. The only reason you should be purchasing a Mac in my opinion is if you do something similar to what wwfan does. And even then I can do it fine on Windows 7 as well.

And I suppose you prefer overpriced machines that are impossible to upgrade, about three times the price of a PC I can build with those specs, and a company who has employed millions of sheep to purchase their goods.

Well, none of that is true (but please keep spreading half-truths and misinformation about Mac, but in retort, I suppose you prefer acting smarmy and trying to break down (in typical pseudo-intellectual fashion nontheless) anyone with an opinion that differs your own. Funny though that you refer to them as "sheep," perhaps the same could apply to you about Steam? Food for thought.

But in all seriousness, are you an employee of Steam or something? What is with the foaming-at-the-mouth, jumping in front of bullets defense of them? :rolleyes:

OMG, someone doesn't like Steam! Go get them Dune!

I know the sheep drive me insane too. They really don't know what they're buying, they're just told it's better and they go with that.

As I say I know people who spent €400 on a computer. Then 6 months later spent €700 on a new computer. Then still weren't satisfied so then went out and bought a Mac for €1600.

From my research lately - I can buy a laptop for €1,500 that is better than the Macbook Pro 17 inch that starts at €2500

I can get a laptop 17 inch screen that is almost identical in specs to the Macbook Pro (a bit lower) for €900

Personally that's why I don't buy Macs, the Price is way too high for what you get. Yeh 10/15 years ago they were needed because PCs weren't up to scratch, for design.

But nowadays they PC is on par in terms of specs. And a bit of research you can find a computer just as good for 1/3 the price.

Well, none of that is true (but please keep spreading half-truths and misinformation about Mac, but in retort, I suppose you prefer acting smarmy and trying to break down (in typical pseudo-intellectual fashion nontheless) anyone with an opinion that differs your own. Funny though that you refer to them as "sheep," perhaps the same could apply to you about Steam? Food for thought.

But in all seriousness, are you an employee of Steam or something? What is with the foaming-at-the-mouth, jumping in front of bullets defense of them? :rolleyes:

OMG, someone doesn't like Steam! Go get them Dune!

Pretty sure you can't go out and buy parts for a Mac, so I have to assume it is true... And indeed, Steam, a company that's already beyond rich, paid me to sit here on these forums and seduce people into using Steam. :rolleyes:

Archived