LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

Apparently, Campbell has an Irish Grandfather. If he does, then I don't think he requires a work permit. In any case, he'll most certainly qualify for one next year since he'll play in every Costa Rica international.

Whatever happens, if we sign him he'll probably go on loan. We haven't really got room in the squad for him at the moment.

He's playing in the U20 World Cup so it'll be worth keeping an eye on him.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't he not the quickest? would be an issue with our high line.

Well like any tall player he doesn't get to top speed from a standstill very well. Yeah that can be a weakness. Your first choice fullbacks will be Sagna and Gibbs this season? Plenty of pace to cover there if they sweep around the back. Most Premier League teams have pace down the flanks but few have genuine speedsters down the middle. Final note, Hangeland brilliant defending set pieces...

Well like any tall player he doesn't get to top speed from a standstill very well. Yeah that can be a weakness. Your first choice fullbacks will be Sagna and Gibbs this season? Plenty of pace to cover there if they sweep around the back. Most Premier League teams have pace down the flanks but few have genuine speedsters down the middle. Final note, Hangeland brilliant defending set pieces...

Brilliant at defending the set pieces himself or brilliant at getting others to do their role along with his own?

"saw him at the u20 concacaf quafication tournament in guatemala earlier this spring. looked very impressive. i subsequently made inquiries"

"was told that the player was available (as all players in crc) for approximately usd 250.000, was offered to scandinavian clubs. no takers"

"at this point arsenal wouldn't have got a work permit for the player, but 1.5 million usd is a very good deal post gold cup/copa america"

"(if true) arsenal also smart to make their move before u20 world cup (starts end of month), good performance would further up the price"

"campbell: left-footed forward, can play left/right wing or as a second striker. fast, unpredictable, excellent one vs one, fine physique"

"campbell: though most exciting feature is shooting ability (open play or set pieces), hits the ball really cleanly (left) foot"

"great shooting technique. still stuff to learn re movement & tactical issues + work rate needs improving (as always with central americans)"

"threshold to succeed in the epl is extremely high, but for this price this is a low-risk move. very shrewd move by arsenal (again, if true)"

That is what Tor-Kristian Karlsen (well known football scout) had to say about Campbell

Arsenal pull out of Campbell deal

Arsenal have closed the door on their attempts to sign Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell, after neither the player or his father turned up to a scheduled meeting last night.

The paper La Nacion, which has had several exclusives about the story, leads with the headline ‘Joel Campbell stood Arsenal up‘.

The President of his club Saprissa, Juan Carlos Rojas, confirmed:

“It’s a disappointment for football, for Saprissa and for me that they have decided not to take up an offer from as serious and first-class people as Arsenal. I hope it works out for Joel.

I assume his father thinks that things will get better and that’s why he made this decision, but hey, there’s always a risk. It’s a shame that Costa Rican football could not have a player at Arsenal at this time.”

All parties were due to meet at 7pm at the Intercontinental Hotel for a final meeting before Richard Law departed for London. Humberto Campbell claimed he and his son were absent due to the medical tests that were being undertaken, but Arsenal were suitably unimpressed to pull out of the deal. Rojas confirmed:

“There is no other option; the doors are closed.”

Humberto Campbell seemed unmoved by the news:

“If the Arsenal option is closed there is no problem. When one door closes, many open.”

It’s quotes like that which will lead people to infer than another club has already been in his ear.

The news has to go down as another blow to Arsenal’s summer transfer plans, after we just missed out on Argentinian midfielder Ricky Alvarez despite sending Law out to try and do out a deal. It does, however, seem that in this case the player’s father made it more trouble than it was worth.

Sorry to start your day with some less than great news…

Can't say I'm too bothered.

What is concerning to me is that while it seems this guys dad is being a complete **** about the whole thing its just another in a line of us not being able to get transfer deals done without another team jumping in and just doing what needs to be done to see the transfer through.

What is concerning to me is that while it seems this guys dad is being a complete **** about the whole thing its just another in a line of us not being able to get transfer deals done without another team jumping in and just doing what needs to be done to see the transfer through.

The player stood us up. How is it our fault?

The completion of the deal depended on this meeting. Arsenal can't do much if the player decides not to show up.

SS have just this second put up a story about Campbell wanting to wait til after the U20's to make his mind up. To me this shows how much this club is fading for a Costa Rica Int who plays for Larissa to want to wait before signing. Why have Jedward, when you can have Beyonce?

Worst pre-season under Wenger? I think so.

If he goes he goes it is getting to the point where the saga and his future is too much of an issue and it can affect the side. He will probably go and tbh it maybe the right thing for us despite him being a brilliant player we at times are depending on him too much

But yes this is miserable.

SS have just this second put up a story about Campbell wanting to wait til after the U20's to make his mind up. To me this shows how much this club is fading for a Costa Rica Int who plays for Larissa to want to wait before signing. Why have Jedward, when you can have Beyonce?

Yeah thats total bollocks. His dad thought that he could get a better deal so tried to call our bluff. He's not worth it.

Cesc leaving will harm us. Literally no chance of us even competing (which we have done over the last 2 years) for the title without him. Especially as Wenger wont spend the money he gets. Wouldn't want to kill Diaby now would we?

Yeah thats total bollocks. His dad thought that he could get a better deal so tried to call our bluff. He's not worth it.

Cesc leaving will harm us. Literally no chance of us even competing (which we have done over the last 2 years) for the title without him. Especially as Wenger wont spend the money he gets. Wouldn't want to kill Diaby now would we?

Of course it will harm us but maybe it is an Henry situation where he has become the team and they rely on him meaning they don't do enough themselves. perhaps

Of course it will harm us but maybe it is an Henry situation where he has become the team and they rely on him meaning they don't do enough themselves. perhaps

and its obvious he wants to go whatever he might say publicly and that has to effect his game (and the teams) on some level eventually, seems a bit of an unwinnable situation for Arsenal in that sense.

and its obvious he wants to go whatever he might say publicly and that has to effect his game (and the teams) on some level eventually, seems a bit of an unwinnable situation for Arsenal in that sense.

It is an unwinnable situation for us as the price will go down all the time as barca are the only team in for him and also they don't need him now he is a luxury buy. Whilst we get dissatisfied by their terrible behaviour. He is unhappy which can't help the club and of course there is the elephant in the room as his agent in darren dein which I can't imagine makes the board happy.

its certainly the most depressing pre season for a long while. So many bad things going on.

Definitely. Every morning I check the latest Arsenal-related news, I check this thread and I just groan. I'm not excited for the season to start, not at all yet.

Definitely. Every morning I check the latest Arsenal-related news, I check this thread and I just groan. I'm not excited for the season to start, not at all yet.

Not just Arsenal news, Man Utd, Tottenham and Aston Villa have all signed goalkeepers and we've not even sold Almunia yet, yes WS probably is the future in the position but surely Wenger sees by now that we needed to sign someone like Given (as in a more experienced gk) this summer.

Plus the whole Nasri saga... does that make any sense at all, oh lets not sell him to a Manchester club for 20ish million lets wait until he goes to Old Trafford for nothing next year... :confused:

i've no affinity to Arsenal whatsoever, in fact, I'm not particularly bothered about English Football in general, but this whole Cesc-Barca thing is bugging the hell out of me, or more to the point their constant attempts to get the player on the cheap, knowing he won't go anywhere else. Have Arsenal ever reported them to UEFA or FIFA, because this surely constitutes as publicly tapping up a player? they've got the cheek to call Real classless *****, when they're ever bit as bad when it comes to getting what they want.

i'd rather Arsenal let hit rot in the reserves than let Barca get him any time soon.

Yes, we will definitely miss those 20 minutes he plays per season :rolleyes:

Seriously lads, pull your heads out your arses. Sick of this pessimistic ********.

Yes, and he is clearly our best player. But he has hardly been the difference between us challenging and not. That is like saying RvP has had a similar effect.

Fact is he misses too many important games in the season (you know, games where we might actually need a worldclass player to make the difference) or just isn't fit enough.

I can not really think of 1 player in the squad bar Sagan who you could say has been 100% important to us "challenging" over the last 2-3 years. At least, not in the sense that them departing will now see us scrapping for a Europa place.

Someone at the end of last season was calling others on here idiots for suggesting Wenger wouldn't change his ways in the transfer market.

I know it's by no means closed, but we haven't exactly been doing much business so far.

It could have been me, but regardless of what has happened so far this summer we've still got more than a good five weeks to see what's going to happen.

Yes, and he is clearly our best player. But he has hardly been the difference between us challenging and not. That is like saying RvP has had a similar effect.

Fact is he misses too many important games in the season (you know, games where we might actually need a worldclass player to make the difference) or just isn't fit enough.

I can not really think of 1 player in the squad bar Sagan who you could say has been 100% important to us "challenging" over the last 2-3 years. At least, not in the sense that them departing will now see us scrapping for a Europa place.

are you suggesting RvP didn't keep you in the title race in the second half of the season? where would you have ended without him?

A serious amount of negativity in this thread. I can understand where some of you are coming from in regards to the Nasri/Cesc sagas, and the fact that we've not really signed anyone yet (Gervinho excluded) and the holes that have been there for the last couple of years are still there. But Gazidis' and Wenger have both said that we are buying players, but we're looking for the right players. And I personally would rather take our time and get it right then spend £50 million on Henderson, Downing and Adam like Liverpool.

are you suggesting RvP didn't keep you in the title race in the second half of the season? where would you have ended without him?

Difference between keeping the team int he title race and getting the team in the title race isn't there?

Interesting stats Glenn, but they are a bit misleading without the actual games played to match.

There have been too many games over the last few years where I and many others have been left wondering "how different this would be if Fabregas was playing". I am sick of this feeling every season (usually in important games), and for our captain that is not good enough.

34 games in a season is hardly anything to brag about, especially if you are limping off 15 seconds into them.

The guy wants to leave, Barca wants to buy. What is the point of going through this **** every pre-season?

I'm still insulted that they are only willing to pay £26m or that our board is only willing to accept £40m. Looking at the current market, and the way deals are being done + he's our captain + he has a large contract still + him importance to the club + the way he plays (top assister etc), I don't see how they can come up with a fee of £26m.

If Kaka can go for £60m aged 27, I don't see why Cesc can't be valued at the same when only aged 23.

Archived