LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

Unbeaten? I think you may be tad optimistic, I'm waiting for us to loose a close games against Newcastle and Liverpool, and then be hammered by Utd.

I'm not really expecting us to lose to Newcastle or Liverpool, though it does largely depend on what sort of shape we're in after pre-season. The United game, I admit, is one that I have difficulty seeing us winning but with United being traditionally slow starters, who knows? We might come a way with a point.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August and September look like the most important parts of the season then, the nerves will kick in earlier than usual this year then. Good times!

I think we'll be able to get something though, but it'll all rest on how any new signings fit in and how good a warm-up we've had. Looking past those fixtures November and December look like months where we ought to rack up a fair few points.

But Newcastle away is hardly great, although a win might do some good to banish the demons.

Looking past those fixtures November and December look like months where we ought to rack up a fair few points.

Also the last 3 games of the season look similarly "easy". Just like this season's final stage :(

August looks tough, but we're usually a good starter. Not sure what the effects of the UCL playoffs will have on us though.

On the other hand, the games in November may look easier but we usually struggle in November, and last season we bottled it against the supposedly weaker teams, and beat Man Utd.

I love how you still call this Father Senegal's Arsenal thread despite not winning anything for 5/6 years, maybe there's a connection?

My thoughts exactly.

Better to get tougher matches out of the way at the start when we're normally decent.

Add another vote to the "just plain no" crowd. Moving our best DC to DL, great stuff.

Carried over from the odd thread.

Are some of you incapable of reading? Because at no point did I say that Vermaelen SHOULD move to LB, but that he probably will if we sign Cahill and Samba.

• 4 weeks later...

"The plan for left back is that we have Kieran Gibbs, Armand Traore and Thomas Vermaelen can play there too. So we have what we need," said Wenger.

OH DEAR WAKEFORD xsmug

glad to be back here, that big footy thread was a nightmare over on 2, I missed this thread for my gunners news fix.

So in the month it was down we have signed Gervinho. Not overly inspiring.

But we have Vermaelen, Traore and Frimpong back - just like new signings!!!!

Hamburg reckon they've been outbid by two clubs (presumably Dortmund & Sporting Lisbon) for Bendtner. Hurry up, someone.

edit: Dortmund have said that their finances rule out a bid for Bendts. Sporting and who?

Internazionale according to SSN

He said he can play there, not that he will. It's clear that he has two people ahead of him.

And with Gibbs injury record and Traore's lack of quality he'll get plenty of games there.

Hamburg reckon they've been outbid by two clubs (presumably Dortmund & Sporting Lisbon) for Bendtner. Hurry up, someone.

edit: Dortmund have said that their finances rule out a bid for Bendts. Sporting and who?

Sporting have already spent big on Van Wolfswinkel and Bojinov, surely they dont need him?

The idea of Armand Traoré starting a game for us at LB makes me feel very queasy.

I don't even remember him being that good? He had a bit of promise when we signed him perhaps but hasn't really done anything since - not at Portsmouth, or at Juventus where he was regarded as pretty useless at best amongst the fans.

I've not heard anything from Sporting, but they could well be out of the market. So Inter and someone else with money, according to HSV.

Traore's an old school LB, as in bombs up the flank like a winger and crosses from the byline. Not much defensively. Clichy did get better defensively, so I don't fancy going back to a wingback system again. Even Leyton Orient targeted our left flank.

We can't say Wenger isn't anything but predictable.

The way this off season has gone so far you would think that he didn't know this is probably his most important season ever at the club, its like he hasn't learnt anything if you believe some of the things that have been said.

I just hope he is sand bagging and will still bring in the players we need including a LB and either makes Nasri sign a contract or sell him.

Arnesen suggested it was Milan, not Inter.

Don't know if Milan have any money to spend on players atm.
They have some money, but Berlosconi has received a mega fine of 560M€, one of his companies got it and that will surely affect Milan's spending I assume

I thought there was about 5 premiership clubs that had enquired about Bendtner? Stoke was one but have now had an offer accepted for Carlton Cole. I know Newcastle are intrested but wages are a big stumbling block for them and most teams TBH.

We can't say Wenger isn't anything but predictable.

The way this off season has gone so far you would think that he didn't know this is probably his most important season ever at the club, its like he hasn't learnt anything if you believe some of the things that have been said.

I just hope he is sand bagging and will still bring in the players we need including a LB and either makes Nasri sign a contract or sell him.

This, it worries me that he thinks KG, AT and TV mean we are sorted at left back. We've lost our senior left back (sh*t form or not), those 3 were already here. Theres nothing to suggest KG and TV won't miss large spells. The "one, maybe two signings" standard quote over the weekend worries me too, if it was anyone else but Wenger i'd say he's playing his cards close to his chest, don't read anything into it but we know from past experience that we'll be lucky if we get 2.

With Gervinho signing we've potentially concluded our summer business.

If we do go into this season as we are, when it all goes ti*s up again, and it will, i think i'll have to do what was previously unthinkable and move to the the time to go camp.

I was going to say, I don't really want Bendtner to go. I should want Bendtner to go - he's been a bloody nightmare this season gone by, but I think he's got something. We've seen flashes of it last season, and the one before that (2009/10 I think) he was actually pretty good.

Still, he's probably all but gone now and yeah, Vela his replacement...

I like Bendtner as a 3rd choice striker. It would help if he liked it too, however.

Also, I missed the forum, I look for information, gossip and opinions here and I have it all in one place.

So, Jenkinson got the number 25 shirt. (Also, saw on Arsenal Player, that he came first on the physical fitness test).

From the training pictures, Woj has number 13, Ryo has number 32, Lansbury has number 12, and rumoured that Gervinho will take number 9.

Another thing I saw/noticed from Arsenal Player, all our young English players (Frimpong, JET, Eastmond) were all layabouts at school, getting into trouble, turning up late etc. Don't think they have the right attitude to make it for us if that's still the case.

Another thing I saw/noticed from Arsenal Player, all our young English players (Frimpong, JET, Eastmond) were all layabouts at school, getting into trouble, turning up late etc. Don't think they have the right attitude to make it for us if that's still the case.

Tony Adams was awful at school. Merson the same. Willing to put money on Wilshere and A Cole being the same.

Eastmond always looked like a good boy to me, too good for a DMC. Above picture doesn't change my view. Maybe I know too little about rap or gangsters.

First pre-season game being shown on Arsenal Player tomorrow, 13.45 KO. Didn't realise it was free (as long as you were a member) so that was a bonus when I found out.

First pre-season game being shown on Arsenal Player tomorrow, 13.45 KO. Didn't realise it was free (as long as you were a member) so that was a bonus when I found out.

Is it quick to sign up? I've found a few alternatives but to watch it on Arsenal Player would be ideal. I've got a lot of chores to do this afternoon though :mad:

Is it quick to sign up? I've found a few alternatives but to watch it on Arsenal Player would be ideal. I've got a lot of chores to do this afternoon though :mad:

Do you not have a membership? Cause there is a waiting list and it costs £30+ to join.

Archived