dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by ChelseaDaft:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Stamford - Conference South 2008/09 - End of Season Update

Stamfords first season in the Conference South had us predicted to finish in the relegation zone, and a 2 year plan to establish ourselves in the division.

After a bit of a rocky start by not having a remotely full squad for the first few games of the season and still winning at least one of those games, I had some reasonable optimism.

Shame my Ass Man still wants me to offload most of my squad regardless.

Due to a 9 game undefeated streak including a run of 5 wins in a row, the team managed to escape relegation and finished in a respectable 11th place.

Final Table

Season Graph

Confidence

Transfers

Apart from the first 2 signing the whole season was done after the beta patch was applied. I was using the default 4-4-2 formation with no changes and it seemed to be working a lot better than in my attempts with other teams.

Good effort! icon_smile.gif

icon14.gif

Default tactics working wonders for me too. The defult 5-3-2 with minor teaks has carried me to League 2 with Stamford and doing well there too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i'm gonna revert to the default tactics with slight alterations for my new season after finishing 19th in my first season icon_confused.gif

Can i just ask you guys how much detail do you change for individual player instructions?

By the way Jimbo, Ive signed Kyle Wilson!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on my game with worksop i have made no tweaks to individual players at all. only made fairly minor changes to the default 4-4-2 attacking formation as well. seen me to 2nd in the league in december 08, with us scoring about 3 goals a game for a while...

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 Games to go..

After my failed first attempt at the challenge (got sacked at end of season 2 with Halesowen due to board takeover, but was doing poorly), i didnt have high hopes for the first season of my second attempt with Carshalton. But somehow, i've managed to put myself in a posision i wouldnt have dreamed of come the beggining of the season.

With 3 games to go, only TWO points seperate the top 4 teams. Its tense. i've not held top spot all season, and had a rough start to the campaign. but only 2 losses in the last 25 games has seen me propell from mid-low table, to title contenders.

Im so excited.!

Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

When do all these Islanders generate themselves again?

2010? I think... icon_confused.gif

Dafuge, what is your long term plan now you are in League 2? I just checked mine and got this

Do they expect relegation or bug?

Mini Update: Stamford: League 2: 11/12

- 2nd in the league thanks to the Welsh Destroyah! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's mine

I don't think there's anything wrong with it at this stage, the board are reminding me what the long term plans were when they were set in 2010 and are acknowledging the fact that I have already surpassed them.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season.

All my islanders were signed from 2010 onwards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Stamfords first season in the Conference South had us predicted to finish in the relegation zone, and a 2 year plan to establish ourselves in the division.

After a bit of a rocky start by not having a remotely full squad for the first few games of the season and still winning at least one of those games, I had some reasonable optimism.

Due to a 9 game undefeated streak including a run of 5 wins in a row, the team managed to escape relegation and finished in a respectable 11th place.

Final Table

Season Graph

Confidence

Transfers

Apart from the first 2 signing the whole season was done after the beta patch was applied. I was using the default 4-4-2 formation with no changes and it seemed to be working a lot better than in my attempts with other teams.

icon14.gif

Default tactics working wonders for me too. The defult 5-3-2 with minor teaks has carried me to League 2 with Stamford and doing well there too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Alurny.

Have the Stamford board seen any sense for you and given you a parent club at all? Mine cant see the point in any links with other clubs.

centre mid

Check out Goulon's discipliary record 21 yellows but no red cards all season. Is that a record Dafuge?

Herold Goulon is a legend in my own head. In my 07 dafuge game I managed to pick him up during my Conference National campaign, and he stayed with me all the way to where my game fizzled out (the Championship). In the lower leagues he was simply a beast of a DMC, and gave untold protection to my back 4.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Alurny 2010/11 League 2 Regional

dafuge 2012/13 League 2 National

Scab 2010/11 League 2 Regional

paulsgruff 2013/14 BS Premier Unproven

sergent 2009/10 BS South Unproven

supermas 2009/10 BS South Local

Freelinet 2011/12 BS South Regional

iacovone 2009/10 BS North Unproven

Donald-Duck 2010/2011 BS Premier Regional

betterspud 2009/2010 BS Premier Local

ScottishSteven2010/2011 BS Premier Regional

Manulegnd 2011/2012 League 2 Regional</pre>

Finally! From unproven to regional in a matter of weeks. Had to be top of league two for it to happen! I am assuming this reputation helps with player acquisition? finally

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

My star striker is attracting interest from Colchester (in the championship).

Don't see me being able to keep him as its approaching January now.

3sixty, let me know how that goes. my striker was attracting interest from leeds [also in the championship] but their only offer was an enquiry, which i spurned. he didn't get unhappy and they never offered again. its february now icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Final Table

Season Graph

Confidence

Transfers

icon14.gif

Thanks Alurny.

Have the Stamford board seen any sense for you and given you a parent club at all? Mine cant see the point in any links with other clubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They came up with Peterborough (I guess I was lucky) but they were virtually useless on promotion. They sent me Howe early on who was useful but that was about it.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Alurny 2010/11 League 2 Regional

dafuge 2012/13 League 2 National

Scab 2010/11 League 2 Regional

paulsgruff 2013/14 BS Premier Unproven

sergent 2009/10 BS South Unproven

supermas 2009/10 BS South Local

Freelinet 2011/12 BS South Regional

iacovone 2009/10 BS North Unproven

Donald-Duck 2010/2011 BS Premier Regional

betterspud 2009/2010 BS Premier Local

ScottishSteven2010/2011 BS Premier Regional

Manulegnd 2011/2012 League 2 Regional

migwar 2009/10 BS South Unproven</pre>

:: fingers crossed ::

Originally posted by migwar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

3sixty, let me know how that goes. my striker was attracting interest from leeds [also in the championship] but their only offer was an enquiry, which i spurned. he didn't get unhappy and they never offered again. its february now icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, Savage has been chased for 3 seasons including premiership teams. Making him captain has improved the chances of him staying. I reject bids and he doesn't care. Obviously loves the club icon14.gif He is a Stamford legend I can hopefully keep hold of if I make it in the higher leagues! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Alurny.

Have the Stamford board seen any sense for you and given you a parent club at all? Mine cant see the point in any links with other clubs.

They came up with Peterborough (I guess I was lucky) but they were virtually useless on promotion. They sent me Howe early on who was useful but that was about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had 2 Peterborough players on loan last season through luck but no formal arrangements have been offered to me yet.

When did you get them?

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Thanks Alurny.

They came up with Peterborough (I guess I was lucky) but they were virtually useless on promotion. They sent me Howe early on who was useful but that was about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had 2 Peterborough players on loan last season through luck but no formal arrangements have been offered to me yet.

When did you get them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were already there.

I tried getting their bigger names but players like McLean wouldn't join me in the National. Probably due to their promotion to league 1!

Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester are also good places to look for players to loan/Youngsters on frees as it seems most of my talent is from these parts.

Jimbo - Another one on the bandwagon! Although my ass man doesnt seem to like him much.

What is your assistants JPA/JCA?

He seems to hate everyone icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My ass man

Originally posted by migwar:

since the patch my assman, who used to rate every player as a definite purchase, now only rates one of my players. he thinks i should offload everyone else. something odd there...

I think they have toned it down a bit too much. I was saying this yesterday, but wasnt really sure, since I never know about these things.

Originally posted by Jad123:

Is it me or is holidaying slower in FM 08?

I didn't really notice this tbh. My holiday season took about 50 minutes this year and I think it was pretty similar last year. Perhaps its a bit slower since most people this year are using a large database as opposed to the medium one required for the challenge last year?

Thanks Alurny.

When did you get them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were already there.

I tried getting their bigger names but players like McLean wouldn't join me in the National. Probably due to their promotion to league 1!

Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester are also good places to look for players to loan/Youngsters on frees as it seems most of my talent is from these parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have noticed that from doing loads of restarts that most of the time the feeder clubs for the newly promoted teams changes, and occasionally the parent clubs do to.

On my Ilkeston attempt, I had Swansea as a parent club but other reloads I've seen them on since, they didnt have any parent club.

Stamford for me didnt start with any affiliates at all.

My first season in the Blue Square Premier is really not going to plan.

League Table

We've had so many contoversial goals scored against us that have cost us valuable points, and we aren't taking many chances ourselves which isn't helping. I'm trying to work a shut out tactic into my team now so we can hopefully grab some 0-0s and maybe a couple of 1-0 wins. Looks like we're going straight back down at this rate icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

My first season in the Blue Square Premier is really not going to plan.

League Table

We've had so many contoversial goals scored against us that have cost us valuable points, and we aren't taking many chances ourselves which isn't helping. I'm trying to work a shut out tactic into my team now so we can hopefully grab some 0-0s and maybe a couple of 1-0 wins. Looks like we're going straight back down at this rate icon_frown.gif

Good luck Paul!

5-3-2 worked for me down there! If you are desperate give it a try!

Originally posted by Swindon69:

Sort of doing this on an ad hoc basis, got sacked in March by Tiverton, took over Margate in the next when they came up. Struggling at the moment - partly due to NINE red cards in sixteen games.

Stupid lack of edit facility

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

Can someone tell me how to play FM in "windowed" mode please.

Its starting to annoy me switching in and out of full screen for screen shots etc...

Right click on your FM08 shortcut, then go to properties. On the shortcut tab, in the target box, add -small_screen to the end after the ", making sure you leave a space before. Then in preferences/diasplay&sound you should be able to untick full screen.

Good luck Paul!

Thanks for the tip, I'm willing to listen to any advice at the moment with my team struggling like this. I started the season with 2 wins out of 2, and only won 2 game since. I hate the idea of going with 5 at the back as it's a negative formation, but I might be forced into trying this as we are leaking so many goals.

Not sure why they bother putting match odds in the game every year, when every year they are not worked out properly.

My team is top of the league and has been within the top 3 practically whole season and I'm now in February, yet beacuse the teams rep is low im getting odds on my team of 4/1, 13/2 even 7/1 and 9/1 etc.. when i'm playing teams several positions lower than me.

I might have to send my players down to William Hill before the games for some extra income if this carries on..!!

LOL anyway I work in a bookies so I can definitely tell you how unrealistic this is, when form is the main thing odds compilers take into account.

Might post in the bugs forum but i'm sure they are probably aware, its the same situation every year I do this challenge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by migwar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

3sixty, let me know how that goes. my striker was attracting interest from leeds [also in the championship] but their only offer was an enquiry, which i spurned. he didn't get unhappy and they never offered again. its february now icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, Savage has been chased for 3 seasons including premiership teams. Making him captain has improved the chances of him staying. I reject bids and he doesn't care. Obviously loves the club icon14.gif He is a Stamford legend I can hopefully keep hold of if I make it in the higher leagues! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that Savage guy looks like the dogs B's.. shame he shares a name with thay long haired f-wit.

Good luck Paul!

Thanks for the tip, I'm willing to listen to any advice at the moment with my team struggling like this. I started the season with 2 wins out of 2, and only won 2 game since. I hate the idea of going with 5 at the back as it's a negative formation, but I might be forced into trying this as we are leaking so many goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Default 5-3-2 with a flat 3 CB worked for me. Needs hardworking wingbacks though.

Default 5-3-2 with a flat 3 CB worked for me. Needs hardworking wingbacks though.

I just tried making a custom 5-3-2 that was still quite attacking and my team played unbelievably well! They actually managed to totally dominate the match on everything other than shots for the first time since very early on in the season - and to make it even better, they scored 4 goals away from home!

But...

Originally posted by dafuge:

Can someone tell me how to play FM in "windowed" mode please.

Its starting to annoy me switching in and out of full screen for screen shots etc...

Right click on your FM08 shortcut, then go to properties. On the shortcut tab, in the target box, add -small_screen to the end after the ", making sure you leave a space before. Then in preferences/diasplay&sound you should be able to untick full screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh right............

That was soooo easy wish I had asked back in FM2007 - always assumed it wouldn't let me do it due to monitor / graphics card issues icon_rolleyes.gif

I just tried making a custom 5-3-2 that was still quite attacking and my team played unbelievably well! They actually managed to totally dominate the match on everything other than shots for the first time since very early on in the season - and to make it even better, they scored 4 goals away from home!

But... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gutted icon_frown.gif Stick at it. look at where the goals came from. try to isolate their key man with individual opposition instructions icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Naryana:

I'm starting to wish I hadn't applied the patch as we are now hopeless. icon_frown.gif

Always happens when I install a patch. icon_frown.gif I will wait for the real one. icon_smile.gif

The closing down isn't bothering me really. Not really that obvious in the lower leagues.

Originally posted by Top Gooner:

Not sure why they bother putting match odds in the game every year, when every year they are not worked out properly.

My team is top of the league and has been within the top 3 practically whole season and I'm now in February, yet beacuse the teams rep is low im getting odds on my team of 4/1, 13/2 even 7/1 and 9/1 etc.. when i'm playing teams several positions lower than me.

I might have to send my players down to William Hill before the games for some extra income if this carries on..!!

LOL anyway I work in a bookies so I can definitely tell you how unrealistic this is, when form is the main thing odds compilers take into account.

Might post in the bugs forum but i'm sure they are probably aware, its the same situation every year I do this challenge.

If you look back few pages you will find some screen shots I posted of some very generous 10-1 odds for my team.

To be honest I don't really find the odd odds (!) too much of a problem - I like to think I print them out and stick them up in the changing room as well wishing my team luck before the game icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spotg:

Yes. KaNovi started one, I posted in it for some clarity, and it was closed by the testing team sharpish as a known issue.

I'd rather assumed it was sorted in the patch tbh.

Lets see if you get lucky again dafuge icon_smile.gif

Hope so

If it's been logged as a known issue then I would expect it to be fixed in the patch, something like this can't be allowed to remain in the game.

By the end of my season I should be in a good position to test it out. I've just been promoted to League 2 and my contract is up for renewal at the end of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may be one of those bugs that will only be fixed on new games unfortunately. So perhaps some people just starting can look for it as well.

Remember, you CAN requests contracts yourself and don't need to wait for the board to do it for you. Waiting on a single performance evaluation in any job is trouble.

note: I see this as a bug only if you've met all your objectives. If you don't meet your objectives, don't be surprised to not see a new contract if you wait until the very end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Requested a new contract already in feb. they sayd that they agreed that i deserved a new contract, so - it doesnt mather!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Naryana:

I'm starting to wish I hadn't applied the patch as we are now hopeless. icon_frown.gif

Always happens when I install a patch. icon_frown.gif I will wait for the real one. icon_smile.gif

The closing down isn't bothering me really. Not really that obvious in the lower leagues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - what exactly is the closing down thing? I never noticed a problem icon_confused.gif I have now patched but have not noticed any differences in the match engine..........

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spotg:

Yes. KaNovi started one, I posted in it for some clarity, and it was closed by the testing team sharpish as a known issue.

I'd rather assumed it was sorted in the patch tbh.

Lets see if you get lucky again dafuge icon_smile.gif

Hope so

If it's been logged as a known issue then I would expect it to be fixed in the patch, something like this can't be allowed to remain in the game.

By the end of my season I should be in a good position to test it out. I've just been promoted to League 2 and my contract is up for renewal at the end of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may be one of those bugs that will only be fixed on new games unfortunately. So perhaps some people just starting can look for it as well.

Remember, you CAN requests contracts yourself and don't need to wait for the board to do it for you. Waiting on a single performance evaluation in any job is trouble.

note: I see this as a bug only if you've met all your objectives. If you don't meet your objectives, don't be surprised to not see a new contract if you wait until the very end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Requested a new contract already in feb. they sayd that they agreed that i deserved a new contract, so - it doesnt mather!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a screenshot of your confidence pre sacking?

Kings Lynn Blue Square North 08/09

End of Season Review

Ill try and keep this short but we had a 1st season way beyond my expectations.

Table

league graph

So to the play off semis

leg 1

leg 2

So onto the final and Leigh who i had failed to beat during the regular season. My task was made harder by captain and vice captain both being unavailable meaning i had to pla 2 19 year olds.

play off final

I dont want to say too much about this but i was 6inches from promotion. Bryant (who had only played 3 games all season but had to come on as one of my other CMs was at 45% fitness) smashed what would have been the winning penalty against the crossbar.

Anyway a few other stats

overview

bonus payout

squad

finances

confidence

player of season

top scorer

Originally posted by mattyisalegend:

Kings Lynn Blue Square North 08/09

End of Season Review

Ill try and keep this short but we had a 1st season way beyond my expectations.

Table

league graph

So to the play off semis

leg 1

leg 2

So onto the final and Leigh who i had failed to beat during the regular season. My task was made harder by captain and vice captain both being unavailable meaning i had to pla 2 19 year olds.

play off final

I dont want to say too much about this but i was 6inches from promotion. Bryant (who had only played 3 games all season but had to come on as one of my other CMs was at 45% fitness) smashed what would have been the winning penalty against the crossbar.

Anyway a few other stats

overview

bonus payout

squad

finances

confidence

player of season

top scorer

Unlucky Matty icon_frown.gif Good luck for next year! icon14.gif

Archived